Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Week #3 Giants Up and down
(08-22-2019, 11:57 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Best I've felt about our QB room in a long time.

All three QB's can take us to the land of milk and honey...
The O-Line can take us to hell.... Cry
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 12:05 AM)NKURyan Wrote: Agreed, and I'd say the same thing about our WRs as well. Whoever is cut will find work somewhere, IMO.

And other teams will cut some OL and LBs that we can pick up as they are huge weak spots
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 01:00 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: And other teams will cut some OL and LBs that we can pick up as they are huge weak spots

I think the Bengals will grab 2 OL and maybe 1-2 LBs from cut day.  I don't know what to think at guard position.  But When A. Smith looks good at this stage in his career, it is not a good situation.  

I know Hart blew one pass-pro play but I think he has improved.  But if Hart and Glenn go down,  Dugas is not the answer.  Evans is not the Answer.  Andre cannot play both RT and LT and has injury history himself.  

I am not certain the Jordan Evans makes the team.  I think the Jefferson project was cancelled.  Both position groups are extremely thin in talent and depth.  Props to PB though, that tackle was beastly.   But PB too has injury history... Yikes.

Freakout
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2019, 11:52 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Much better game tonight

UP - all 3 QB's played very well
Willis - won a job
Malone had nice TD grab and nice kick off return negated by penalty
Uzomah - was already a lock, but huge rebound week
Core - Will make tough call as he has been solid albeit not great
Hart - continues to improve pass blocking and no penalties..Yeah

Down - Our run offense stinks
McCrae was beat at will
Davis missed a key tackle

What was your take?

Man, I need to proof read titles
Could mod update title and spell and correctly?? 

I only watched the starting QB first teams. In past they went the first half. Tonight the first quarter.  Seems like all NFL is holding starters out. I look for all NFL to look very rusty and sloppy first weeks of season. Not just Bengals, All NFL. 

The Bengals O Line started awful.  The D Front 7 was awful also.  They got a little better before Dalton came out.  So there was some improvement in blocking and tackling as game went on.  Still, it's hard to tell with Dalton in game so little.  Regular season will tell if the starters can go a whole game and have what it takes to win.  

I liked that the Bengals made almost no penalties when Dalton in.  That is a huge improvement from last week.  Paul Brown didn't put up with players making penalties. Good coaches don't.  I get so tired of Bengals not even able to snap the football without making a procedure penalty. It's bad when you can't even snap the football.  Last night I didn't see any of that when Dalton in.  These O Linemen get paid.  This is not Wee Pee Football.  I'm glad they could snap football with no penalties. 

The Pass Blocking is better than the Run Blocking.  I still don't like Bengals Run Blocking.  

It was Bengals 7 to 3 when both teams pulled starting QB's far more early than in seasons past. Hard to say who would have won. 

I don't like that LT Glen was injured last night.  He was injured most of last year.  He was suppose to be this hot shot Pro Bowl type from Buffalo. With #1 pick LT out for season, they were hoping he might step up.  IF both are injured most of year, that really puts this team behind the 8 ball.  I don't like that he was a no show injured again.  What's the deal with the hot shot Pro Bowl type LB from Buffalo also, is he still on the team or is he injured again also. 

I didn't like Duke Tobin on TV as I saw Coach Taylor on the sidelines.  It smelled of Bengals Front Office again not letting a head coach have any control.  The good news is in regular season no networks interview Tobin or The Brown Family during NFL Games. 

To Tobin & Brown Family I add this.  I remember in February when a Fan on this very site came up with NEW DEY and no longer Who Dey.   NEW DEY.   I loved it right away.  This franchise needs a New Day.   Last night I heard Coach Taylor, Dalton and players start the game saying NEW DEY.  They are into it.   However Mike Brown and Family have it as Seize The Dey on TV Screen.  Could that be that Mike Brown and Family and Tobin are all part of OLD DEY ???    I hope The Front Office isn't fighting and rejecting NEW DEY as they try to retain Same Old, Same Old, OLD DEY.   The Fans came up with NEW DEY and I now hear Coach Taylor, Dalton and players saying NEW DEY.   So no matter what Front Office likes, 2019 is NOT Seize The Dey, which sounds like same old, same old.  2019 is NEW DEY.  The Fans made it so, and the coaches and players bought into it,  2019 is NEW DEY, NEW DEY, NEW DEY. 

We saw little of the starters in preseason but that is how the whole NFL is this year.   As the old song goes, See You In September.  Common sense tells me the new coaches should start out with many left over problems from awful last place team of 2018, but show improvement from September to December.  If at seasons end it looks like this team has a lot of good things going to build on,  then I welcome NEW DEY.   Paul Brown in starting Bengals said don't expect much for at least 5 seasons.  I say Coach Taylor will also need some seasons and NFL Drafts to turn this thing around.  I'm all into giving him those years to build NEW DEY. 

GO BENGALS Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger GO BENGALS
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 12:52 AM)TKUHL Wrote: How is it we gut the coaching staff and the group that's struggling (as much as Oline and D) is ST? Is Simmons pissed he was passed over for the HC job after being here for what 16 years. I know he's not the one out there missing blocks, tackles and muffing returns but man it's frustrating.

Anyway
Up- QB's not named Driskel
WR's

Down- Run Game
ST's was better but still gave up a TD
Did Pratt even play?
I was thinking the same thing 16 years on ST he should of moved on with everyone else last year. Rewatching the game on gamepass I slow-mo after the holding call on ST that took away Malone nice return ZT was in Simmons ear and Simmons just shook his head no and walked away. Then ZT turned where cameras could see his face and he had a pissed off look on his face love the new head coach hope we do good as a team so he is here for a long time.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2019, 11:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd say the run blocking is a huge concern at this point. Yeah Mixon hasn't been out there, but we can't even run for 3 ypc.

Maybe I am being too generous, but I felt like every run was just a short yardage plow.  They aren't showing anything and the defense seemed really stacked against the run.  Take what they give you.  Aside from the lack of protection for Dolegala, they threw the ball at will to wide open receivers.  Lots of short, high % passes.  If that is what a defense is giving you, hard to complain about not being able to run the ball.  
Reply/Quote
We saw Mixon do it his first carry, when it's stuffed in side bounce it outside, but besides Mixon few backs have attempted to challenge the edge this preseason. In fact we have seen little in terms of runs designed to challenge the edge. Everything for the most part has been between the tackles and when you don't threaten the edge you will catch guys crashing inside. Part of the issue is backs themselves. Ellis for example lacks patience for his blocks to even set up and vision to see where to bounce the run to, he is an old school slam into the line with your head down back.

Until Mixon gets shutdown running, I really am not worried about it. There is a reason we all think Mixon has the chance to have a special season, if anyone could run for 4 yards a touch behind this line I'm not sure we'd be talking about Mixon so fondly.
Reply/Quote
Stock up:

Starting (lots of variations) offensive line: Could care less about the run blocking. They were set to defend the run and short passes were there all day. They kept Dalton and Finley squeeky clean. That's job #1 right now. Even Andre Smith was solid at LT and they were sending extra rushers.

Rodney Anderson. In his first game back after knee surgery, this kid looked like James Brooks. Wow. Might end up being the steal of the draft.

Damian Willis- Hope he keeps #9 so I can make jokes about Palmer being a WR now. Kid has great route running and hands. Really good speed as well. Right now I keep him over Malone.

CJ Uzomah- Realizing he isn't going to be kept in to block as much, he looks leaner and faster. He blew by Peppers, and that is saying something.

Carl Lawson- Ok, now just stay healthy. This guy will be giving opposing offensive linemen nightmares. Love that Anarumo is going to go with some 5 linemen to get him on the field more. He looks amazing.

Stock down:

Gio is a better receiving threat than rusher, but he has shown little vision to bust outside (maybe he is being coached on this) and looks tentative. Need more from him.

That's about it
Reply/Quote
Up

Lawson
Dolegala
Rodney
Willis

Down

O-Line
McRae
Finley actually looked human tonight. Not fair to say "down" with regards to him, I suppose, but he actually looked like someone who has work to do before being considered an NFL starter.
My boy Driskel has to see the writing on the wall.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Up
Rodney Anderson
Dolegala
Lawson
Glasgow
Willis
Wynn

Down
Run blocking
Special teams
Driskel
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 12:26 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Up:

All 3 QB’s. On a coaching staff full of question marks, Van Pelt is doing well with his guys. Contrary to what some here believe I don’t “hate” Dalton, and I’ll will always give credit when it’s due. He made some great throws tonight. The TD to Uzo was a beauty.

And speaking of Uzo it was a nice bounce back game for him.

DL. Lawson, Glasgow, Tupou, etc, a lot to like from that unit in this one.

Rodney Anderson. Could have something there. Particularly catching the ball out of the backfield.

Bullock. Hit that 50 with ease.

Down:

The run blocking. Oof...not one RB with double digit yds.

Tony Mcrae. We all saw how he looked...

Jeff Driskel has no place on this team at this point.

So who makes it: Topou or Wren?

They have Atkins, Billings, Glasgow, and then probably 1 more.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 01:08 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think the Bengals will grab 2 OL and maybe 1-2 LBs from cut day.  I don't know what to think at guard position.  But When A. Smith looks good at this stage in his career, it is not a good situation.  

I know Hart blew one pass-pro play but I think he has improved.  But if Hart and Glenn go down,  Dugas is not the answer.  Evans is not the Answer.  Andre cannot play both RT and LT and has injury history himself.  

I am not certain the Jordan Evans makes the team.  I think the Jefferson project was cancelled.  Both position groups are extremely thin in talent and depth.  Props to PB though, that tackle was beastly.   But PB too has injury history... Yikes.

Freakout

They should...but other teams will be looking for lineman too...and picking up LB's the week before the season starts is tough in that it's hard for them to learn the system.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 12:52 AM)TKUHL Wrote: How is it we gut the coaching staff and the group that's struggling (as much as Oline and D) is ST? Is Simmons pissed he was passed over for the HC job after being here for what 16 years. I know he's not the one out there missing blocks, tackles and muffing returns but man it's frustrating.

I think I attribute it mostly to the talent he has to work with right now. We know we have terrible depth on defense, and it's those depth players that typically have to play a role on special teams, especially later in the game. I don't think we can really act surprised that these guys who can't block on offense or tackle on defense also can't do both on special teams.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 08:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Stock up:

Starting (lots of variations) offensive line:  Could care less about the run blocking.  They were set to defend the run and short passes were there all day.  They kept Dalton and Finley squeeky clean.  That's job #1 right now.  Even Andre Smith was solid at LT and they were sending extra rushers.  

Rodney Anderson.  In his first game back after knee surgery, this kid looked like James Brooks.  Wow.  Might end up being the steal of the draft.  

Damian Willis-  Hope he keeps #9 so I can make jokes about Palmer being a WR now.  Kid has great route running and hands.  Really good speed as well.  Right now I keep him over Malone.  

CJ Uzomah-  Realizing he isn't going to be kept in to block as much, he looks leaner and faster.  He blew by Peppers, and that is saying something.  

Carl Lawson-  Ok, now just stay healthy.  This guy will be giving opposing offensive linemen nightmares.  Love that Anarumo is going to go with  some 5 linemen to get him on the field more.  He looks amazing.  

Stock down:

Gio is a better receiving threat than rusher, but he has shown little vision to bust outside (maybe he is being coached on this) and looks tentative.  Need more from him.

That's about it

I don't like to get too up about guys in the preseason, but Willis is very promising.
Reply/Quote
All this Simmons bashing is just pure crap. Anyone with any football knowlege knows he's one of the best ST coaches in the league. His unit, like all ST units in preseason, is full of guys on the bubble for making the team. Sure he's pissed thatt someone missed a tackle. Sure Taylor is pissed, and the person not making the play is probably cut next week. Do Y'all just make this stuff up to gripe about?
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2019, 11:52 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Much better game tonight

UP - all 3 QB's played very well
Willis - won a job
Malone had nice TD grab and nice kick off return negated by penalty
Uzomah - was already a lock, but huge rebound week
Core - Will make tough call as he has been solid albeit not great
Hart - continues to improve pass blocking and no penalties..Yeah

Down - Our run offense stinks
McCrae was beat at will
Davis missed a key tackle

What was your take?

Man, I need to proof read titles
Could mod update title and spell and correctly?? 

to be fair to our Run game.. Mixon didn't play....  and while the rush yards weren't their the RBs were catching and moving the ball
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 09:40 AM)Sled21 Wrote: All this Simmons bashing is just pure crap. Anyone with any football knowlege knows he's one of the best ST coaches in the league. His unit, like all ST units in preseason, is full of guys on the bubble for making the team. Sure he's pissed thatt someone missed a tackle. Sure Taylor is pissed, and the person not making the play is probably cut next week. Do Y'all just make this stuff up to gripe about?

Correct most the guys playing when the TD was given up wont even be on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 12:55 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: All three QB's can take us to the land of milk and honey...
The O-Line can take us to hell.... Cry

To hell, sadly true on OL
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
New forum rule:

The WR must be referred to as D-Will. When folks say Willis I'm not sure which one they are talking about.

As to the OP:
P-Brown: I think many of us will be pleasantly surprised by his play this year
#91: Dude gets a push, just cannot separate
Andre 350: Was the best LT on the field last night and the one for the Giants is expensive
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 09:22 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote:
So who makes it: Topou or Wren
?

They have Atkins, Billings, Glasgow, and then probably 1 more.

Simple, answer who was a 4th round pick and who was a FA. Besides, coaches are ranting about Wren. Say smart, athletic and doing well.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote