Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Week #3 Giants Up and down
(08-23-2019, 03:52 AM)kevin Wrote: I only watched the starting QB first teams. In past they went the first half. Tonight the first quarter.  Seems like all NFL is holding starters out. I look for all NFL to look very rusty and sloppy first weeks of season. Not just Bengals, All NFL. 

The Bengals O Line started awful.  The D Front 7 was awful also.  They got a little better before Dalton came out.  So there was some improvement in blocking and tackling as game went on.  Still, it's hard to tell with Dalton in game so little.  Regular season will tell if the starters can go a whole game and have what it takes to win.  

I liked that the Bengals made almost no penalties when Dalton in.  That is a huge improvement from last week.  Paul Brown didn't put up with players making penalties. Good coaches don't.  I get so tired of Bengals not even able to snap the football without making a procedure penalty. It's bad when you can't even snap the football.  Last night I didn't see any of that when Dalton in.  These O Linemen get paid.  This is not Wee Pee Football.  I'm glad they could snap football with no penalties. 

The Pass Blocking is better than the Run Blocking.  I still don't like Bengals Run Blocking.  

It was Bengals 7 to 3 when both teams pulled starting QB's far more early than in seasons past. Hard to say who would have won. 

I don't like that LT Glen was injured last night.  He was injured most of last year.  He was suppose to be this hot shot Pro Bowl type from Buffalo. With #1 pick LT out for season, they were hoping he might step up.  IF both are injured most of year, that really puts this team behind the 8 ball.  I don't like that he was a no show injured again.  What's the deal with the hot shot Pro Bowl type LB from Buffalo also, is he still on the team or is he injured again also. 

I didn't like Duke Tobin on TV as I saw Coach Taylor on the sidelines.  It smelled of Bengals Front Office again not letting a head coach have any control.  The good news is in regular season no networks interview Tobin or The Brown Family during NFL Games. 

To Tobin & Brown Family I add this.  I remember in February when a Fan on this very site came up with NEW DEY and no longer Who Dey.   NEW DEY.   I loved it right away.  This franchise needs a New Day.   Last night I heard Coach Taylor, Dalton and players start the game saying NEW DEY.  They are into it.   However Mike Brown and Family have it as Seize The Dey on TV Screen.  Could that be that Mike Brown and Family and Tobin are all part of OLD DEY ???    I hope The Front Office isn't fighting and rejecting NEW DEY as they try to retain Same Old, Same Old, OLD DEY.   The Fans came up with NEW DEY and I now hear Coach Taylor, Dalton and players saying NEW DEY.   So no matter what Front Office likes, 2019 is NOT Seize The Dey, which sounds like same old, same old.  2019 is NEW DEY.  The Fans made it so, and the coaches and players bought into it,  2019 is NEW DEY, NEW DEY, NEW DEY. 

We saw little of the starters in preseason but that is how the whole NFL is this year.   As the old song goes, See You In September.  Common sense tells me the new coaches should start out with many left over problems from awful last place team of 2018, but show improvement from September to December.  If at seasons end it looks like this team has a lot of good things going to build on,  then I welcome NEW DEY.   Paul Brown in starting Bengals said don't expect much for at least 5 seasons.  I say Coach Taylor will also need some seasons and NFL Drafts to turn this thing around.  I'm all into giving him those years to build NEW DEY. 

GO BENGALS Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger GO BENGALS

Brown played well in pass and against the run in limited action last night in my opinion.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Down: Zac Taylor.... Y'all hear him tell the defense to "Do their job." at halftime???
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 10:45 AM)jason Wrote: Down: Zac Taylor.... Y'all hear him tell the defense to "Do their job." at halftime???

His pre game speech also involved saying to go out there and have fun.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 12:10 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Up:

Willis - way up, I can't imagine him not making team
Malone - made a case for himself today
Anderson - couple nice catches and real nice YAC
Brown - had decent game, again
Dolegala - raised some eyebrows

Down:

Dugas - had a couple real bad plays and was getting beat bad on another

Rushing yards

I thought he had picked "Cedric Ogbuehi" as a charade before the game and was doing his absolute best.

Very very impressive.

It was game night in my household and we were all screaming "Ced O! Ced O!" at the TV.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 09:22 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So who makes it: Topou or Wren?

They have Atkins, Billings, Glasgow, and then probably 1 more.

I personally like Topou.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 10:45 AM)jason Wrote: Down: Zac Taylor.... Y'all hear him tell the defense to "Do their job." at halftime???

I understand the dig, but in reality ML telling players and units to do their job was a good thing.

ML may not have done everything well nor do others, but everyone can learn something from a leader you perceive as bad too. Sometimes you learn good things to do and other times you learn things not to do.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 10:47 AM)Nately120 Wrote: His pre game speech also involved saying to go out there and have fun.

Uh oh.

Did he and Dalton just become best friends?

[Image: raw]
Reply/Quote
UP:

Zac Taylor.

Two things have really impressed me so far under ZT

1. The QBs all look improved in their decision making and progression. I believe ZTs influence is playing a major factor.

2. This draft class is looking special.
Reply/Quote

He knew the camera was rolling. Do you think he's gonna let out a kick the dog ^&%$ outta these mother @#$#5!
Reply/Quote
I was pretty impressed with the starting defense especially the starting LBs. Brown and Vigil
I thought played well, which made me pretty happy until I was reminded this was the NY Giants.
Unfortunately there is no depth behind them. Those 2nd and 3rd team NY TEs were just killing us.
I think Dennard needs to get healthy in a hurry, because McRae was getting roasted last night.
Also have been really impressed with Kerry Wynn the entire preseason.

The Bengals need to find another Tackle at cut time because O'Shea Dugas was embarrassing, there is
absolutely nothing behind Andre Smith. Really liked what I saw from all 3 QBs last night and
Rodney Anderson and Damion Willis really stood out to me.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 10:55 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: UP:

Zac Taylor.

1. The QBs all look improved in their decision making and progression. I believe ZTs influence is playing a major factor.

This might help Dalton improve his play.

In the past we've seen Driskel play well in pre-season but use his feet/mobility to stretch or make plays.

If Andy watches any of these pre-season games and sees Finley step up and keep the plays alive perhaps it will be taken seriously by him.

You just gotta believe when the players and coaches are watching film that it's pretty obvious.

Not really saying that AD's job is in jeopardy this season but ZT has a staff of QB coaches that want to get the best out of their starter.

If it takes noting what Finley does properly on the field to help AD be better it will be used.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 11:03 AM)bambino5130 Wrote: I was pretty impressed with the starting defense especially the starting LBs. Brown and Vigil
I thought played well, which made me pretty happy until I was reminded this was the NY Giants.
Unfortunately there is no depth behind them. Those 2nd and 3rd team NY TEs were just killing us.
I think Dennard needs to get healthy in a hurry, because McRae was getting roasted last night.
Also have been really impressed with Kerry Wynn the entire preseason.

The Bengals need to find another Tackle at cut time because O'Shea Dugas was embarrassing, there is
absolutely nothing behind Andre Smith. Really liked what I saw from all 3 QBs last nigh and
Rodney Anderson and Damion Willis really stood out to me.

The problem is O line depth is the worst it's ever been league wide. Smith will be your swing guy and I think Jordan is your emergency tackle. Maybe you find a PS candidate somewhere but it is going to be tough to get a quality tackle at this point. 
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 11:06 AM)Au165 Wrote: The problem is O line depth is the worst it's ever been league wide. Smith will be your swing guy and I think Jordan is your emergency tackle. Maybe you find a PS candidate somewhere but it is going to be tough to get a quality tackle at this point. 

What do you think of Dolegala ? I don't think I've seen him play before last night.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 10:55 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: UP:

Zac Taylor.

3. ZT started Tate and Willis in a preseason game to see what they could do with the 1s. That never would have happened under Lewis. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 11:11 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: What do you think of Dolegala ? I don't think I've seen him play before last night.

Reminds me of Carson Palmer in terms of his lack of mobility. I wouldn't consider starting him until we have an Oline that can protect him. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Let me start by saying so far I like Zac quite a bit and he is leaps ahead of Marvin. WTS what was with declining that early facemasking penalty you would rather have 3rd and 6 as opposed to 2nd and 17? why wasnt boyd playing on the first series either? if your not going too play him at all I understand but he was in the following 3 series after that.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 11:18 AM)Shady Wrote: Reminds me of Carson Palmer in terms of his lack of mobility. I wouldn't consider starting him until we have an Oline that can protect him. 

That's my assessment, too.  He strikes me as a pure pocket passer.  He'd die behind this o-line.  

My understanding is he also had a fumbling issue in college, but I imagine that can be fixed for the most part.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 11:15 AM)Shady Wrote: 3. ZT started Tate and Willis in a preseason game to see what they could do with the 1s. That never would have happened under Lewis. 

Green and Ross have missed every practice and the entire pre season though, who is supposed to be out there?
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 11:06 AM)Au165 Wrote: The problem is O line depth is the worst it's ever been league wide. Smith will be your swing guy and I think Jordan is your emergency tackle. Maybe you find a PS candidate somewhere but it is going to be tough to get a quality tackle at this point. 

I thought they said Jerry would play OT if needed.  He has actually started at OT in the NFL before.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 10:48 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I personally like Topou.

Me too; if we didn't have Wren, he's a shoo-in, but now there's a debate.

(08-23-2019, 11:04 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: This might help Dalton improve his play.

In the past we've seen Driskel play well in pre-season but use his feet/mobility to stretch or make plays.

If Andy watches any of these pre-season games and sees Finley step up and keep the plays alive perhaps it will be taken seriously by him.

You just gotta believe when the players and coaches are watching film that it's pretty obvious.

Not really saying that AD's job is in jeopardy this season but ZT has a staff of QB coaches that want to get the best out of their starter.

If it takes noting what Finley does properly on the field to help AD be better it will be used.

Really?

Dolegala, with his even less mobility, moved and stood tall in the pocket better than Finley did in any game this PS and yeah, it was 3rd stringers and all that, but his pocket command was better than Finley's across the board.

Gotta give credit where it's due.

And seriously, this seems like a blatant dig at Andy, but that may be just me...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote