Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Week #3 Giants Up and down
(08-23-2019, 01:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: May I ask how you know that?

Of course. Go to training camp and listen carefully. Zac Taylor doesn’t use colorful language but his comments to players are specific, highly instructional, and appropriate to the situation. He will break down a play, explain the timing, and get people where they need to be in excruciating detail.

On camera coaches just say plausible but vanilla comments.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 04:39 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Of course.  Go to training camp and listen carefully.  Zac Taylor doesn’t use colorful language but his comments to players are specific, highly instructional, and appropriate to the situation. He will break down a play, explain the timing, and get people where they need to be in excruciating detail.

On camera coaches just say plausible but vanilla comments.

So you are saying a coach is more intense and gives more detail to his players than to reporters.  ThumbsUp 

Anyone watched a BB press conference? He is evasive, he is under whelming and his tone is quiet and expressionless.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 04:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So you are saying a coach is more intense and gives more detail to his players than to reporters.  ThumbsUp 

Anyone watched a BB press conference? He is evasive, he is under whelming and his tone is quiet and expressionless.

That’s exactly right — and when Zac Taylor wins six Super Bowl titles he can be a pompous ass just like Bill Belichick.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 04:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So you are saying a coach is more intense and gives more detail to his players than to reporters.  ThumbsUp 

In PC's Bill is as boring as Marv, but the dude is intense to his players no doubt.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 05:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: In PC's Bill is as boring as Marv, but the dude is intense to his players no doubt.

Yep, that was point. The media see a different side of all coaches than players see on practice field and in locker room

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 05:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: In PC's Bill is as boring as Marv, but the dude is intense to his players no doubt.

This applies to ALL coaches.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 11:47 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Me too; if we didn't have Wren, he's a shoo-in, but now there's a debate.

Really?

Dolegala, with his even less mobility, moved and stood tall in the pocket better than Finley did in any game this PS and yeah, it was 3rd stringers and all that, but his pocket command was better than Finley's across the board.

Gotta give credit where it's due.

And seriously, this seems like a blatant dig at Andy, but that may be just me...

No, not a dig.

These guys watch game tape and I'd hope that Andy is still a student and not resting on laurels.

Finley had some nice pocket presence and stepped up out of pressure in pre-season.

He did get killed a few times when they put horrid O-Linemen in like Dugas.

I like Andy and he has shown his own poise in pre-season and every season.

I have also witness bad, skittish, happy foot Andy who gets flustered and stops making reads.

I'm sorry if you haven't seen Finley look good or poised at all this year.

I for one am not impressed with Dolegala myself.  He's not bad.  He's just okay.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 11:02 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: He knew the camera was rolling. Do you think he's gonna let out a kick the dog ^&%$ outta these mother @#$#5!
People did complain about Marvin's passive speeches. Though I was re watching the 2009? Bengals hard knocks and marvin had some fire in him then in one of his halftime speeches.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 07:00 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I have also witness bad, skittish, happy foot Andy who gets flustered and stops making reads.

That's the one thing that frustrates me more than anything, especially from a 9 year guy. If his first 2 reads aren't there, his feet start pumping and he literally bolts out of the pocket one way or another. He rarely just moves around in the pocket a bit to get more space. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 01:16 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's the one thing that frustrates me more than anything, especially from a 9 year guy. If his first 2 reads aren't there, his feet start pumping and he literally bolts out of the pocket one way or another. He rarely just moves around in the pocket a bit to get more space. 

Yep. His biggest flaw by far. It’s maddening.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 08:26 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: People did complain about Marvin's passive speeches. Though I was re watching the 2009? Bengals hard knocks and marvin had some fire in him then in one of his halftime speeches.

Marvin lost the control of the team and his passion for coaching here the last 2 or 3 years he was here. He did bring us out of the abyss known as the 90's.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 09:23 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They should...but other teams will be looking for lineman too...and picking up LB's the week before the season starts is tough in that it's hard for them to learn the system.

The Bengals currently have just over $19 million of cap space.  Figure they will want to keep some for the rollover, but they need to be prepared to pony up for a FA LB if there is a higher-quality veteran that is released.  It would have to be a team with some cap issues, and I frankly haven't scouted what teams those could be and potential releases, but I sure hope they can grab one.  

Despite a lot of folks on here having major concerns about the offensive line, I am not nearly as concerned as I am about the LB corps.  I actually feel pretty good about the offensive line now and moving forward with Williams next year.  The LB corps, though, with Brown still playing in nickel with Vigil, is a huge liability.  
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 01:16 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's the one thing that frustrates me more than anything, especially from a 9 year guy. If his first 2 reads aren't there, his feet start pumping and he literally bolts out of the pocket one way or another. He rarely just moves around in the pocket a bit to get more space. 

(08-24-2019, 01:56 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yep. His biggest flaw by far. It’s maddening.

As far as I can tell Dalton has wanted to improve and like many vet QBs has acquired outside help.

I merely mentioned that he now is immersed in a coaching staff that internally is vested in QB play so when watching game tape that Finley's use of the pocket might be a key note of discussion.

Now I'm making a dig at Dalton?

At times he has happy feet and abandons the pocket sometimes too soon.

Maybe we need to have our eyes checked?? Shocked 

I couldn't care less if Finley played terrible in other plays but you can't ignore those ones were he did a good job.

Kurt Warner certainly took notice of what he was doing.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 08:26 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: People did complain about Marvin's passive speeches. Though I was re watching the 2009? Bengals hard knocks and marvin had some fire in him then in one of his halftime speeches.

I think in reality most people wanted Marvin to be more aggressive game day.

Not to just scream and fume on the sidelines.
  1. Discipline and control players who are negatively affecting the game(attitude/penalties/lack of production).
  2. Be stern with the officials.
  3. Don't just stand there frozen with mouth agape.
  4. Adjustments.
Off the field I really don't think pre-game speeches make much difference at all.

Watching game film in groups and constructively critiquing one's play is much more constructive than yelling right before the game.

After all these guys are professionals and(besides money)are driven by competition.

Having players compete against each other for who gets to start is not a bad thing.

Some of those above things are what we hope ZT changes and brings to the table.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 09:32 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I think in reality most people wanted Marvin to be more aggressive game day.

1. Discipline and control players who are negatively affecting the game(attitude/penalties/lack of production).
  4. Adjustments.
Off the field I really don't think pre-game speeches make much difference at all.

Watching game film in groups and constructively critiquing one's play is much more constructive than yelling right before the game.

After all these guys are professionals and(besides money)are driven by competition.

Having players compete against each other for who gets to start is not a bad thing.

Right, you gotta know when to yell. You're not gonna win every battle and you can't fight every battle.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 12:52 PM)Joelist Wrote: They will. ZT already said as much about a week ago (that they will set their opening day OL at least two weeks before game one).

They would not have had to experiment if they had better players. They had no choice but to experiment
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 11:37 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: They would not have had to experiment if they had better players. They had no choice but to experiment

Not that I don't disagree with you, but had Bolng not retired this line might be set. If you look at the PS games, we started out with pretty much the same LT, Rt and Rg. LG has been where they are using multiple players on just about every other series.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 09:15 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: As far as I can tell Dalton has wanted to improve and like many vet QBs has acquired outside help.

I merely mentioned that he now is immersed in a coaching staff that internally is vested in QB play so when watching game tape that Finley's use of the pocket might be a key note of discussion.

Now I'm making a dig at Dalton?

At times he has happy feet and abandons the pocket sometimes too soon.

Maybe we need to have our eyes checked?? Shocked 

I couldn't care less if Finley played terrible in other plays but you can't ignore those ones were he did a good job.

Kurt Warner certainly took notice of what he was doing.

The happy feet comes from lack of trust in the offensive line. As someone said, "Dalton will make two reads and then freak out." This is entirely based on him not trusting his offensive line. That QB clock is shortened and that paranoia sets it. No, this isn't taking an issue away from Dalton. Dalton has to be able to forgive and forget. You see it from the best QBs (ala Rodgers/Roethlisberger) Heck, in the case of Big Ben, I've seen him not only get destroyed in the pocket but make some of the worst throws I've ever seen a QB make (especially a SB winner). Dalton's timing, his QB clock is shortened and this just goes to my personal issue, which is lack of confidence.

This can be changed with new personnel, more time with that personnel and of course, a good ol' pat in the back. 

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 09:32 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I think in reality most people wanted Marvin to be more aggressive game day.

4. Adjustments.

My opinion is watching the same coach over 15 years or so becomes boring to the fans, we know how he will act on the sidelines, with officials, press conferences and so on. ML was ML and we got to know ML. Some started disliking him because he went from moving the franchise upward to going backwards. Once the losing began, he became the goat for every mistake made by players or his coaching staff.

I get it, he was the HC and the buck stops at the top. My point is ML could coach, to say he could not is false.

People love Zac because he is young, talks and acts differently. He is the new shiney toy. Mark my words, he starts losing games fans thought were winnable, he heads to the forum trash heap with other players and coaches. Win Zac win!!

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 12:49 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: The happy feet comes from lack of trust in the offensive line. As someone said, "Dalton will make two reads and then freak out." This is entirely based on him not trusting his offensive line. That QB clock is shortened and that paranoia sets it. No, this isn't taking an issue away from Dalton. Dalton has to be able to forgive and forget. You see it from the best QBs (ala Rodgers/Roethlisberger) Heck, in the case of Big Ben, I've seen him not only get destroyed in the pocket but make some of the worst throws I've ever seen a QB make (especially a SB winner). Dalton's timing, his QB clock is shortened and this just goes to my personal issue, which is lack of confidence.

This can be changed with new personnel, more time with that personnel and of course, a good ol' pat in the back. 

This post drips with awesome sauce. It’s true: Andy Dalton rarely has time in the pocket to go through his entire progression of receivers. It takes five to six seconds for a wide receiver to get into position for a deep ball and if the defensive line collapses the pocket in three seconds then Andy has to immediately go to his short route checkdown receiver or tuck the ball and run if that's even possible.
Reply/Quote