Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
***Week 8 GameDay Thread - Bengals @ Jets***
(10-31-2021, 05:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fan A: We're going to lose. We suck again!
Fan B: No we're not, care to make a bet?
Fan A: Sure.
*Team loses*
Fan A: Told ya so.
Fan B: You're not a real fan. You wanted to lose.

Rolleyes

That's not who I was calling out at all, but if it makes you feel better to post fake news, you go right ahead, CNN. :thumbs-up:
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 05:49 PM)PhilHos Wrote: At this point, I honestly don't remember who said what to make me think that and I'm probably inflating the number of people who feel that way (it's probably like 1 guy and I'm all like EVERYONE WANTED US TO LOSE!!!), but I don't think you were one of the ones I was talking about.

Or do I? Hmm

There have always been plenty who root for players they don't like to fail big time.. I've never understood that line of thinking, but I see it every year at some point. I want all our players to have HOF seasons every season even if it's never gonna happen..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm not overly worried about the offense. The still put up points after being held to hardly anything early. The defense is a major concern, particularly the coaching and adjustments. It's one thing to get beat by the screens and dink-and-dunk stuff, but to leave it open all game without changing is highly worrisome. That running back check down was there all game.

Lou has gotten a lot of praise lately, but he's been given a lot to work with in terms of talent. If he can't find a way to prepare his guys for the kind of game plan they faced today, then that's the absolute worst thing that could come out of today's loss. Teams will try do run that on them all year until someone stops it. How will he react?

The offense will be fine. it's a young group learning how to handle success. No way you throw in the towel on those guys after today.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 05:39 PM)Destro Wrote: Mike White sounds like a generic QB you play against on old video games.

We don't have the player's license so you're playing New York Stars QB Mike White vs Cincinnati Bagels QB Joe Burnslow.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 05:54 PM)grampahol Wrote: There have always been plenty who root for players they don't like to fail big time.. I've never understood that line of thinking, but I see it every year at some point. I want all our players to have HOF seasons every season even if it's never gonna happen..

You must be mistaken. EVERYone on here wanted the Bengals to win and Bengals' players to succeed. That's what I've been told repeatedly. Doesn't matter if someone calls the defense trash or claims we're going to lose in the 1st QTR. What they're REALLY saying is that they hope the defense turns it around and plays better and that we are NOT going to lose. 

Silly me (and you) taking people's words at face value. Rolleyes
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
If this was a Ravens loss, I could stomach performing poor against them, as they are...The Ravens. I mean, upper tier team, right? Against the Jets? No. Should have been a comfortable win. They lost by 54 points last week! Nope, they won. Bottom of the league in so many categories and the best was some turnovers ( which they are horrible with ). Still take that L.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 05:52 PM)PhilHos Wrote: That's the thing that probably frustrates me the most about today's performance: the lack of any adjustments. I can tolerate a poor first half performance if the team makes the necessary halftime adjustments. But the defense seemingly did nothing different from start to finish. And I would like to know why.

Lou really needs pressed on scheme choices for this entire game. Backups should not be throwing for close to 400 yards and especially not on repeatable predictable plays.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 05:40 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: What does Mike Brown sound like? Popcorn

Like the Double Dwibble announcer?

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 05:53 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I mean, us older Bengals fans should know this better than any other fanbase. 

Probably, but it doesn't change anything.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Holy shit the officiating in the NFL has to get fixed.

NE was just 4th and goal. A TO was called just at the snap, so everyone stopped. Well, almost everyone. Chargers lineman came in full speed and blew up Mac Jones who was just standing with his arms down. Pats players went after the guy, who was reaching over the official with a "bring it on" type of motion. No flag on him at all.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 06:01 PM)iLLuSi0nz Wrote: Lou really needs pressed on scheme choices for this entire game. Backups should not be throwing for close to 400 yards and especially not on repeatable predictable plays.

I mean, I get that he's practically brand new and there's no tape on him, but it was pretty clear what they were doing early on.  I wouldn't drag him for getting beat on the first drive of scripted plays, but the continuous passes to the running back were hard to stomach.  Adjust the scheme for Christ's sake.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 06:06 PM)samhain Wrote: I mean, I get that he's practically brand new and there's no tape on him, but it was pretty clear what they were doing early on.  I wouldn't drag him for getting beat on the first drive of scripted plays, but the continuous passes to the running back were hard to stomach.  Adjust the scheme for Christ's sake.

Yep couple drives maybe. At halftime at the absolute latest. Spy the rb ffs. Just really unbelievably bad after such a good showing last week.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 05:49 PM)PhilHos Wrote: At this point, I honestly don't remember who said what to make me think that and I'm probably inflating the number of people who feel that way (it's probably like 1 guy and I'm all like EVERYONE WANTED US TO LOSE!!!), but I don't think you were one of the ones I was talking about.

Or do I? Hmm

Considering that at some point in the first quarter, I posted that we were going to lose today, I’m sure you thought I wanted us to lose. That’s never the case. However, after decades as a season ticket holder, giving up only after Marvin was retained after back to back losing seasons following making the playoffs 5 seasons in a row, I changed my expectations.

I still cheer for them to win. I hope they win every game. However, I fully expect to be disappointed. Even though we’re 5-3 at the moment, and today’s debacle notwithstanding, I don’t expect this team to make the playoffs. Going into this season, I thought 8-9, maybe 9-8 was the best we could do. I stand by that

I used to get highly urinated off when we’d lose games like this and be miserable for a few days. Now, my reaction is “Oh well. Can’t say I’m disappointed since it don’t expect much.”

I think my attitude will stay the same until such time as the team is consistently winning, including playoff games. We’re not there yet, and won’t be for a year or two. I do expect Joe Burrow to lead this team to a Super Bowl.

A big tell will be if the team makes any trades before the deadline on Tuesday. They have needs, but I don’t expect Mike Brown to do anything.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 05:54 PM)Destro Wrote: Sign him. 

He could be a diamond in the rough but I doubt it. We will see next week when a coaching staff has a whole game on him.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
The media rode our meat unmercifully all week and you know who ended up shitting the bed? The coaches?

I honestly feel like a lot of coaches aren’t ready to coach teams that are expected to win. Lou was perfectly fine as a surprise defense but soon as the media expects him to Create a winning gameplan he leaves the RB open every single play to a rookie QB that can literally only throw to the RB.

That was idiot shit and I’m not gonna forget it because i believe the same would happen in a playoff game. Burrow is going to play his ass off and these coaches will lose the game
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 05:54 PM)PhilHos Wrote: That's not who I was calling out at all, but if it makes you feel better to post fake news, you go right ahead, CNN. :thumbs-up:

You mean to tell me you weren't calling out Fan A?

Yeah okay, Fan B.

Mellow
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 05:44 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I see the usual cast is jumping ship...lol

[Image: vH26s9.gif]

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 06:05 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Holy shit the officiating in the NFL has to get fixed.

NE was just 4th and goal.  A TO was called just at the snap, so everyone stopped.  Well, almost everyone.  Chargers lineman came in full speed and blew up Mac Jones who was just standing with his arms down.  Pats players went after the guy, who was reaching over the official with a "bring it on" type of motion.  No flag on him at all.

The officiating has been brutal this year.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 05:58 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm not overly worried about the offense.  The still put up points after being held to hardly anything early.  The defense is a major concern, particularly the coaching and adjustments.  It's one thing to get beat by the screens and dink-and-dunk stuff, but to leave it open all game without changing is highly worrisome.  That running back check down was there all game.  

Lou has gotten a lot of praise lately, but he's been given a lot to work with in terms of talent.  If he can't find a way to prepare his guys for the kind of game plan they faced today, then that's the absolute worst thing that could come out of today's loss.  Teams will try do run that on them all year until someone stops it.  How will he react?

The offense will be fine.  it's a young group learning how to handle success.  No way you throw in the towel on those guys after today.

I still can't believe the defense NEVER decided to react to that.  The one time they played it well ends up with a bogus 15 yard penalty.
Reply/Quote
Thats how you run the ball
-Housh
Reply/Quote