Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome Back, Vontaze Burfict!
(10-01-2018, 01:54 PM)McC Wrote: The biggest thing working against him is that every time he will go to make a tackle, every incompetent part time old asshole in goofy striped costumes will have his hand on his flag, ready to throw.

Great post McC, made me lol, so true.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 12:28 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Burfict will make a difference, will it be enough ?

I think so, if he doesn't get suspended his first time he makes a great, legal tackle. Mellow

(09-30-2018, 08:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Agreed.  No one has parlayed the "former player" in to more.  I can't help but think of Vontaze as a coach on the field anyways.  I would love him on our coaching staff when his playing days are over.  

Great football mind and the best tackler i have ever seen. A future DC pretty sure the Burfict Storm. Hopefully ours.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 02:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great football mind and the best tackler i have ever seen. A future DC pretty sure the Burfict Storm. Hopefully ours.

Many that have coached him, have said he has one of the best football minds they've ever seen.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 02:02 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: He's not an edge rusher so the roughing penalties aren't a big deal.  He'll be fine conditioning wise within a few games.  If the chance this team has to be great don't make him wanna not get ejected for dumb shit idk what will.  Regardless, that's our guy, if not him then who??  Cuz we don't make trades mid season for a missing piece.  Without Vontaze, our back seven is shitty.  With him, they'll be decent and that'll make our dline, which is excellent able to shine like it should.

The one rule that he has to change it up is helmet to helmet, but the biggest negative, that he has no control over, is #1, bias calls.  Hopefully, it won't happen.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 02:09 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Many that have coached him, have said he has one of the best football minds they've ever seen.

Yeah, remember Paulie G saying that.

He can diagnose a play before it happens, rare.

(10-01-2018, 02:12 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: The one rule that he has to change it up is helmet to helmet, but the biggest negative, that he has no control over, is #1, bias calls.  Hopefully, it won't happen.

No doubt.

A little off subject, Vigil was looking great on one play and terrible on the next. He just needs to get more consistent.

But i see talent with the Vigilante.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 02:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, remember Paulie G saying that.

He can diagnose a play before it happens, rare.

No doubt.

A little off subject, Vigil was looking great on one play and terrible on the next. He just needs to get more consistent.

But i see talent with the Vigilante.

When Thomas Howard got hurt, VB was next man up, and Paulie took VB to an indoor open area and used chairs to represent players to give him some quick OJT when Zimmer was still here.

I've also heard several defensive players say how football brilliant VB was.
Reply/Quote
Burfict missed the first three games of each of the last two years.  Those are kind of small sample sizes.  But in 2015 he missed the first 6 and here is the difference between the defense rankings with him and without.

games.....1-6......7-16
yards...…..23rd...…..12th
yds/ply.....15th...…… 6th
points...….12th...….. 4th
Reply/Quote
Lets hope he can make that big of an impact. As I said in another thread, there is a lot that needs fixing on this defense. Having it's general should help.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 04:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Burfict missed the first three games of each of the last two years.  Those are kind of small sample sizes.  But in 2015 he missed the first 6 and here is the difference between the defense rankings with him and without.

games.....1-6......7-16

That is remarkable, really. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
We shall see how he does now that we've entered the "penalty for everything" era.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
a 3rd down stop would be nice
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 05:15 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We shall see how he does now that we've entered the "penalty for everything" era.

thought he played really clean last year.

but even clean hits get flags some time cause he hits them so hard......
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 04:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Burfict missed the first three games of each of the last two years.  Those are kind of small sample sizes.  But in 2015 he missed the first 6 and here is the difference between the defense rankings with him and without.

games.....1-6......7-16

Wow, had no idea he made that much impact. I do know receivers coming across the middle get shorter arms when they know he is lurking...LOL

Our defense has not been able to get off the field on 3rd down, if he makes an impact on 3rd down (I think he will), then those numbers come down as the T.O.P. gets better keeping our defense off the field to get rested.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 05:17 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Wow, had no idea he made that much impact. I do know receivers coming across the middle get shorter arms when they know he is lurking...LOL

Our defense has not been able to get off the field on 3rd down, if he makes an impact on 3rd down (I think he will), then those numbers come down as the T.O.P. gets better keeping our defense off the field to get rested.

just his knowledge of the defense should help.... he makes all the on field adjustments like a general...  we know losing that is never good.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 05:17 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Wow, had no idea he made that much impact. I do know receivers coming across the middle get shorter arms when they know he is lurking...LOL

Yep, I talked about how I'm questionable about Burfict, but I think I will be VERY pleased if he helps chop down on those 3rd and short crossers that are killing us.

Shoring up some of the middle of the field stuff will really help. 
Reply/Quote
Hopefully we’ll see but there’s a lot of factors
1. Is he in shape ?
2. Can he avoid pentiles with the new rules ?
3. How will he be without PED’s ?( Maybe he was taking them for awhile )
4. Can he stay healthy ?
5. How well does he know the new defensive scheme?

Hope he does great we badly need him but I don’t believe he will be our savior on defense, we need more then one player to fix this mess.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 05:17 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: thought he played really clean last year.

but even clean hits get flags some time cause he hits them so hard......

I'll admit I've only paid a bit of attention to things as of late, but you have experts saying that Clay Matthews has been flagged twice with game-breaking bogus roughing the passer calls facilitating the Packers, a team that we like to assume gets divine favor from the NFL, losing two of their 4 games this season.  By that logic, I'd assume Burfict is going to be ejected the first time he looks at a QB.

I'll admit I'm being hyperbolic here, but I'm still bracing myself for trouble.  I'll set the bar low and assume he gets ejected and eventually concusses himself.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 06:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'll admit I've only paid a bit of attention to things as of late, but you have experts saying that Clay Matthews has been flagged twice with game-breaking bogus roughing the passer calls facilitating the Packers, a team that we like to assume gets divine favor from the NFL, losing two of their 4 games this season.  By that logic, I'd assume Burfict is going to be ejected the first time he looks at a QB.

I'll admit I'm being hyperbolic here, but I'm still bracing myself for trouble.  I'll set the bar low and assume he gets ejected and eventually concusses himself.

I'm not sure on Burficts Sack count but we have other guys for that.  them QBs should know better than try and hold the ball when hes in the game lol.  let that RB take the hits.

Cant wait to see him and Brown on the field at the same time... Vigil and Evans have been making some plays here and there but don't always hold their lanes and bite on Play action more than we want I think Burfict should help some of that.. and maybe get the secondary on page.
Reply/Quote
Communication is our biggest problem IMHO. Hopefully Burfict helps clear that up.
Reply/Quote
I once described Cincinnati’s defense without Vontaze Burfict as a horror movie where everyone makes bad decisions.

There’s no doubt Vontaze is the brains of the defense and he has a natural instinct for where to place the other players. Even more important, the other defensive players seem to raise their personal playing level when Vontaze is on the field.
Reply/Quote