Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome Back, Vontaze Burfict!
Hopefully, he and Coach Austin will be on the same page. He had almost no practice in the preseason and obviously, no games played. its not like he is returning from a defense he is 100% familiar with. Couple that with new personnel and more than normal rustiness is to be expected. Especially, if as usual, he reported back in less than football shape

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
To those thinking Burfict will somehow have fixed his tackling to be less illegal...good luck...He has years of reps with head down and this will never correct in his late 20s. Gotta be honest, who cares our D cannot be any worse with him playing. Ride the wave until he gets ejected. Dude is a playmaker with violence in his blood. Old school physicality. I like it and opposing players will be scared...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 06:11 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: In the presser the day after the game someone asked Marvin about how bad the 3rd down defense was and his answer was of course "we have to play better". Then they asked how much impact Burfict coming back would effect 3rd downs ? Marvin said words to the effect of "I'm not sure how many 3rd downs Burfict is gonna see" ? Something along those lines.

I'd guess he's not gonna see a ton of snaps but like others have said I'd also bet he'll get out there more than they planned. And I think his just being out there will help a lot, even if he doesn't light the stats up.
Ahh Merv and his answers..."We have to play better".....  
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 06:17 PM)pally Wrote: Hopefully, he and Coach Austin will be on the same page.  He had almost no practice in the preseason and obviously, no games played. its not like he is returning from a defense he is 100% familiar with.  Couple that with new personnel and more than normal rustiness is to be expected.  Especially, if as usual, he reported back in less than football shape

You hit on my biggest concern, know the new system. I'm sure he been over it many times in TC and practice this week, but to get into the flow of a live game might be different.Not really a big fan of us all pinning our hopes on 1 man either, but if he can do something the coaches can't seem to do, then more power to us.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 05:50 PM)McC Wrote: I think at the very least, his presence may cut down on the apparent blown assignments we seem to be seeing way too often. 

I don't know what shape he'll be in, though I suspect he will be in at least pretty good shape. 

I suspect he will play more than the plan calls for, like he always does his first game back.

And I think he'll be able to impact the game just by being out there, even if he doesn't rack up the stats.

I think missed tackles will definitely be reduced as well.  His football IQ is insane, and his ability to make calls should also help.  I wish I would be there Sunday.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 06:17 PM)pally Wrote:   Especially, if as usual, he reported back in less than football shape

He came back and played 80% of the snaps last time..... he does not come back out of shape.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 06:17 PM)pally Wrote: Hopefully, he and Coach Austin will be on the same page. He had almost no practice in the preseason and obviously, no games played. its not like he is returning from a defense he is 100% familiar with. Couple that with new personnel and more than normal rustiness is to be expected. Especially, if as usual, he reported back in less than football shape

If he had not went through all this before I would be a little skeptical on his return. I think the entire defense is trying to learn together so I doubt his missing the first 4 will affect him much. As mentioned tho, Burfict is super smart. He might actually expedite the entire defenses ability to learn and gel as a strong force.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2018, 07:58 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He came back and played 80% of the snaps last time..... he does not come back out of shape.

So tired of that narrative. I swear, once enough people repeat something on a message board it’s like it becomes an indisputable fact.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2018, 08:00 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So tired of that narrative. I swear, once enough people repeat something on a message board it’s like it becomes an indisputable fact.

Totally off topic.  Like the new sig.   ThumbsUp
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2018, 08:00 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So tired of that narrative. I swear, once enough people repeat something on a message board it’s like it becomes an indisputable fact.

Yep...
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2018, 08:11 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Totally off topic.  Like the new sig.   ThumbsUp

Thanks. Holic made it for me.

Reply/Quote
The refs are not killing us this year they seem to be calling pretty fair games for us so far. Hopefully this continues when Burfict comes on the field to play if we get a fair shake with Burfict we will be ok. Burfict might get a flag here and there like many players have done trying to learn the new rules. But as long as he does not go helmet to helmet with a QB then I don't think he will get kicked out of any games. The hands to the face call on Hart that took the touchdown off the scoreboard was a bad call but at the end of the day it didn't cost us the game. I have seen many games won by the refs in years past and they was not in our favor so I will wait and see how the refs call the game when Burfict gets back and then throughout the year.

P.S. Welcome back Burfict
Reply/Quote

The only time I can remember him not just showing up and being his full self, was when he came back from the micro-fracture injury.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote