Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome Brian Callahan
(01-22-2019, 07:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So neither our HC nor our OC have ever been anything higher than position coach.

I hope it works but this is turning into a very big gamble.

This
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Callahan is an unknown for us, but I'll take it. New ideas for the team are desperately needed.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 10:02 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Del Rio as DC would check multiple boxes.

We need a tough mentality overall. He will bring his axe and get to chopping.

I hope not. Didn't JDR put an axe and a wood stump in the locker room once? Which led to their (Jaguars) kicker seriously injuring himself?

(01-22-2019, 11:44 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: There was also a ton of player turnover and bringing in Wade Phillips as DC.  That dude has constantly taken defenses to great heights in his first year on the team.

Nonetheless, Fisher has turned down multiple interviews for DC since being let go by LA.  He will only accept a HC job.

Not really an abnormal amount of spending was made in year one. Their biggest move by far was bringing in Whit, but no other moves really moved the needle in year one. Also, defense wasn't the reason they went 4-12. It was their 32nd ranked offense, which drastically turned around under McVay. Don't ask me though, ask any Rams fan what was the main reason for the turnaround.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 08:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Who's been hired?  According to the mother ship, there's not even been any talk of interviews...

It's kinda silly to prohibit them. More so since the NFL knows they do it anyways.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 11:01 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: It wasn't a night, it was an afternoon.

I recall turning off the TV to go the grocery store ecstatic at the news.  Got back to the house in under an hour, and he was a freakin' Raider!

Yeah ...I remember hearing it on a sports talk show. Not long after, I heard he wasn't going to be a Bengal. I was so pissed. He was in his prime. 
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 04:19 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: I think bill follows, we need press also. He would be a bonus. Do you feel this was orchestrated through zeal, or the bengals? I hope we get del rio next

No thanks.  Press might be great but done with the nepotism.  I mean, what if things go south and there needs to be some accountability, is ZT going to fire his brother?  Maybe so but that is shaky ground and makes for a bad organizational structure in the coaching ranks.  I could see assistant coaches with major trust issues.  Don't like that at all.  Heck we kept piano man around for 20+ years cause he was pseudo family.  See where that got us!
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 07:29 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I think Jon has a soft spot for the Bengals. He graduated from UD afterall.

Funny how so many coaches went to UD and yet you almost never hear about famous players from UD..  Last time I checked UD was primarily an engineering school. Their football program always seemed like an afterthought.. I spent some time watching them at Welcome Stadium.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 05:14 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: No thanks.  Press might be great but done with the nepotism.  I mean, what if things go south and there needs to be some accountability, is ZT going to fire his brother?  Maybe so but that is shaky ground and makes for a bad organizational structure in the coaching ranks.  I could see assistant coaches with major trust issues.  Don't like that at all.  Heck we kept piano man around for 20+ years cause he was pseudo family.  See where that got us!

we can hate on piano man all we want but he had some really good lines here when we had any sort of talent on that OL failure to get anything out of a 1st and a 2nd was his downfall especially if he lobbied for them
Reply/Quote
They're either going with young football geniuses OR going with young football guys way in over their heads. We'll find out soon enough. Just because we've suffered enough Bengalitis over the years I suspect over their heads will be the theme for a few years. I truly hope I'm wrong and the team is finally right for once.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 05:38 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: we can hate on piano man all we want but he had some really good lines here when we had any sort of talent on that OL  failure to get anything out of a 1st and a 2nd was his downfall especially if he lobbied for them

Yeah, those two picks were career killers. Then to have the front office continue with the mistake by low balling Whit. You know Mike Brown will never own to a mistake.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 05:43 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yeah, those two picks were career killers. Then to have the front office continue with the mistake by low balling Whit. You know Mike Brown will never own to a mistake.

Besides those two high picks, he also whiffed on what, 3 or 4 Centers in a row?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 06:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Besides those two high picks, he also whiffed on what, 3 or 4 Centers in a row?

cook played all right for us for being a UDFA.(or off someones else PS don't remember)

Luigs I don't think ever played a down for us.

Guichec was bad.

Bodine was better than Guichec.  (played better for the bills which stands to reason it was coaching or scheme)

But thing is the highest any of those guys was a 4th rounder.

Most recent Line fell apart after we lost Z and W and Smith  (1st and 2nd rounders)
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 05:14 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: No thanks.  Press might be great but done with the nepotism.  I mean, what if things go south and there needs to be some accountability, is ZT going to fire his brother?  Maybe so but that is shaky ground and makes for a bad organizational structure in the coaching ranks.  I could see assistant coaches with major trust issues.  Don't like that at all.  Heck we kept piano man around for 20+ years cause he was pseudo family.  See where that got us!

Nepotism is definitely a big minus. Hopefully his brother can learn and innovate while here under his brother and move on to bigger things on his own in 2 yrs.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 06:22 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Nepotism is definitely a big minus. Hopefully his brother can learn and innovate while here under his brother and move on to bigger things on his own in 2 yrs.

If he's as good as they say he is, he wouldn't be here for long.  Like I'm happy for my Bearcats to have a good coach but know he won't he here for long.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 05:32 PM)grampahol Wrote: Funny how so many coaches went to UD and yet you almost never hear about famous players from UD..  Last time I checked UD was primarily an engineering school. Their football program always seemed like an afterthought.. I spent some time watching them at Welcome Stadium.. 

How could you have forgotten about the NFL's first Mr. Irrevelant, Kelvin Kirk?
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 06:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Besides those two high picks, he also whiffed on what, 3 or 4 Centers in a row?

Well that and the fact that our run game finished 20th or worse in yards/carry in every year but one from 2006-2017. 

Lo and behold, the run game finished 8th in YPC in Pollack's first year. A mark not matched or surpassed by PA since 2000.

People tend to gloss over the run game and act like pass blocking is all that matters. It's not.

And even in pass blocking, PA wasn't as great as people claim. The pass blocking was awful in 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2016-17.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 07:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well that and the fact that our run game finished 20th or worse in yards/carry in every year but one from 2006-2017. 

Lo and behold, the run game finished 8th in YPC in Pollack's first year. A mark not matched or surpassed by PA since 2000.

People tend to gloss over the run game and act like pass blocking is all that matters. It's not.

And even in pass blocking, PA wasn't as great as people claim. The pass blocking was awful in 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2016-17.

Nailed it!
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 10:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Lots of folks would check the blocks:

JDR
Dom Capers
Mike Nolan
Jeff Fisher

Trivia time: What are JDR and Mike Nolan the only 2 Head Coaches to do in recent years?

Not a fan of Fisher personally, but I would honestly be happy with any of those names as DC

Trivia: I have no clue but am intrigued

(01-22-2019, 11:44 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: There was also a ton of player turnover and bringing in Wade Phillips as DC.  That dude has constantly taken defenses to great heights in his first year on the team.

Nonetheless, Fisher has turned down multiple interviews for DC since being let go by LA.  He will only accept a HC job.

The defense wasn't the biggest turnaround with the Rams. Not by a long shot.
The Rams had a top 10 defense WITH Jeff Fisher.

The BIG turn around is going from literally the worst NFL scoring offense to the best in one year.
Heck. Three of the quarterbacks on the 2016 team went on to the conference championship in 2017. One winning the Super Bowl.
They've won a combined 8 playoff games the last two years.

Jeff Fisher was a problem for that team.
Also, there wasn't as significant as a turnover from 2016-2017.
They added Whitworth, Sullivan, Woods, and Watkins.
Drafted Everrett, Kupp, and Reynolds.

2018? Cooks. Peters. Suh. Fowler Jr. Talib. Shields.
That's just FA.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 07:56 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Trivia: I have no clue but am intrigued
[Image: style-2010-11-coach-style-mike-nolan-jack-del-rio.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 08:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: style-2010-11-coach-style-mike-nolan-jack-del-rio.jpg]

Wear a suit on the sidelines in tribute to the old time guys.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote