Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome Erick All!
This seems like a wasted pick, I don't get why they would draft a player with an injury history like this. I am surprised a player like this would even be on the draft board.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 02:20 PM)Synric Wrote: This pick as been in the works all off-season. He's met with the Bengals like four times.

im aware 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 01:57 PM)tBengal Wrote: ESPN loves this pick.

(04-27-2024, 02:00 PM)Okeana Wrote: Great Pick, Tight End U sends another to the NFL, this guy is a major sleeper and he doesn't have to play right away, tight end 1 of the future

(04-27-2024, 02:00 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Good God this draft has sucked.

We got some former team captains, though.

Great - great - sucks!

Wheeeeeeee
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 02:20 PM)Synric Wrote: This pick as been in the works all off-season. He's met with the Bengals like four times.

Every single player the Bengals have drafted so far was brought in for a top 30 visit.

Based on this trend, I would not be surprised if we end up taking Qwan'tez Stiggers, Avery Jones, Bayron Matos, and/or Joshua Cephus at some point in the final 3 rounds.
Reply/Quote
I hope he had the same back issue Gronk had in College
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
He's got a great background.

Stay healthy please.

Welcome to the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
This guys upside is he doesn’t need a walker by the end of his contract. Wasted pick. Could’ve had him a round later easily.
Not very productive or athletic, and injury prone. At least he played tight end at Iowa.
Him and Mims will keep the med staff on their toes at least
Reply/Quote
Was seeing a lot of CJ Uzomah on his highlights
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 02:04 PM)PDub80 Wrote: The one guy I hoped they didn't take after I saw them bring him in for a 30 visit.

His NFL Combine Profile pic looks like Dave Chapelle's Prince impersonation.

- Spine surgery
- 2023 Torn ACL ended his season
- Not ultra productive.
- No special gifts athletically.
- Projected 5th-6th rounder
- Iowa's offense was garbage & wasn't a stuf when he was playing with a ton of talent at UM.

If this was the 6th Comp pick, I'm absolutely behind it and geeked.... 4th rounder?! I'm absolutely disgusted.

I'm all for this kid having a monster career with the Bengals and want him to be healthy and succeed. If he gets even 200 yards & 1 TD this season I'll get a custom All Jersey and pimp that on gamedays as penance..... But my god, this is too many physical issues to use a 4th on.

We could have added a big, punishing RB named Braelon Allen, but no, we went with the injury prone TE. I guess it will be All-right.. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 02:49 PM)CottonHill Wrote: This guys upside is he doesn’t need a walker by the end of his contract. Wasted pick. Could’ve had him a round later easily.
Not very productive or athletic, and injury prone. At least he played tight end at Iowa.

I don't know where he would have gone. Almost the entire TE class went 4th round.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 02:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We could have added a big, punishing RB named Braelon Allen, but no, we went with the injury prone TE. I guess it will be All-right.. 

I'm just floored the Bengals are getting guys who are going to be 4th on the depth chart.... not because they are behind really great players..... but because they're rehabbing for 6 more months to get back to even 80%. Absolutely IDIOTIC.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 02:38 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It's like we aren't even in win now mode. We keep drafting projects.

People just say anything. None of their first few picks are “projects.”

Mims could step right in and start if Trent Brown goes down. He’s inexperienced, but far from a project. Guyton would have been a project.

Jenkins will play significant snaps year one, and probably allow them to cut Zach Carter.

Burton will be Boyd’s replacement and start immediately.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 01:57 PM)tBengal Wrote: ESPN loves this pick.

Fans wanted a TE, they got a TE.   Bengals have TE's, so this pick doesn't have to start right at first.  They can coach him up.  Bob Trumpy once said that Tight Ends as he was are great on Special Teams also. Big, Fast, Run, Block, Tackle, Catch on Special Teams.  NFL Network compared him to Uzomah as to what he could do for Bengals. 

Bengals have a big O Line like 49ers now, and they have a bunch of big TE's.  The Bengals on goal line and 3rd and short have the Big Boys to line up with O Line and a bunch of TE's and Powerhouse.  I wouldn't mind seeing them take a huge DT and use him as 1985 Bears used The Fridge Perry.  On goal line, huge blockers and a 300 pound guy with the football is hard to stop for no gain. 

TE was a strength in 2021 and 2022 and a weakness in 2023.  I look for TE to be a strength again in 2024, and it needs to be to run The Zac Offense. That free agent TE in 2023 didn't pan out, and he is gone. Bengals added a 2024 free agent TE and still have Sample and others and now this draft pick. A TE reload for 2024.

GO BENGALS
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 01:56 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Tight end from Iowa that will be a hell of a pick if he can stay healthy!

Early round talent but just had the health concerns!

I've seen comps to Michael Mayer but a better route runner!

I wanted a tight end earlier but he'll make up for it if he can stay healthy and I like our other picks, so I can't complain!

Who-Dey!

Reminds me of a faster Jermaine Gresham with better hands. I like the pick, but those are some bad injuries over the years
so I can understand why some wouldn't like the pick. I knew we were really interested in All so this pick doesn't surprise me 
at all. Better blocker than Cade Stover the other TE that was available.

The coaches and FO wouldn't of been as interested in All if the injuries aren't behind him pretty sure. Could be a great pick 
down the road, we just don't know. I give it a B. I don't like drafting players with big time injury history is my only deal.

I want a RB next please. Estime, Tyrone Tracy Jr, Kimani Vidal, Carson Steele....
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 03:01 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I'm just floored the Bengals are getting guys who are going to be 4th on the depth chart.... not because they are behind really great players..... but because they're rehabbing for 6 more months to get back to even 80%. Absolutely IDIOTIC.

It was a bizarre pick, for sure.  Seems like a panic pick, as the TE population depleted rather quickly after Ben Sinnott and Tip Reimann went much earlier than many had predicted. However in my mind, I see no need to panic. They signed 3 guys this offseason, two of whom are returning players that the team was already comfortable with. Why reach for a guy who's likely to be medically retired in a year or two??

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 03:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It was a bizarre pick, for sure.  Seems like a panic pick, as the TE population depleted rather quickly after Ben Sinnott and Tip Reimann went much earlier than many had predicted. However in my mind, I see no need to panic. They signed 3 guys this offseason, two of whom are returning players that the team was already comfortable with. Why reach for a guy who's likely to be medically retired in a year or two??

I agree. 

TEs McLachlan & Holker both healthy and very talented. 
Reply/Quote
So let's play along and say the staff took a mid 4th TE to be more than a redshirt 4th TE. This could show a domino effect at WR/TE. Gesicki to me as a recieving TE will be moved around a lot, operating at times like a slot WR. Burton may come in and be our 3rd best WR and hard to keep off the field. They can even play Chase more as a weapon in the slot at times if Burton or Iosivas earn more outside reps. They basically have options if Jones doesn't improve, or great depth if he does.

So, if All is who they say he is he could give a much needed balances TE as an alternate of teams knowing Gesicki just catches and Sample just blocks. It also could point to Gesicki being more of a TE/slot hybrid. So, you may see the Bengals keep 4 TE since you could justify Hudson's worth vs a 6th WR. That's a battle to look out for. You also have to take into account the gunner and kick returner with the rule change.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 02:49 PM)CottonHill Wrote: This guys upside is he doesn’t need a walker by the end of his contract. Wasted pick. Could’ve had him a round later easily.

It’s a fourth round pick. These picks are likely don’t contribute right away if at all. It isn’t the end of the world. Have take risks somewhere. This FO generally likes to play safe. Nice to see walk on the wild side for once lol
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 03:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It was a bizarre pick, for sure.  Seems like a panic pick, as the TE population depleted rather quickly after Ben Sinnott and Tip Reimann went much earlier than many had predicted. However in my mind, I see no need to panic. They signed 3 guys this offseason, two of whom are returning players that the team was already comfortable with. Why reach for a guy who's likely to be medically retired in a year or two??

Erick All has been a Bengals target for a while they met with him at the combine, top 30 visit, and he was at their local pro day. Bengals probably put more time into All than any other team in the NFL.

Injuries aside Erick All fits and gives them a good move blocker which they don't have on the roster.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Don’t understand taking this guy over Stover.
Reply/Quote