Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome Jermaine Burton!
(04-27-2024, 10:38 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: This is a great pick. He could potentially be Higgins replacement.

Bengals got the #4 wr in this draft at pick 80. Cigar
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 10:57 PM)Eraserhead Wrote: Comparing what he did,, shoving the girls head, with Mixon breaking a girls face is just stupid. Yes it was immature moron shit, but not the same at all. 

Have to agree, Mixon punched that girl right in the face as hard as possible. He knew it was a girl.  

It was cringe able and have tried to forget it since he was a Bengal.

I don't like it even being brought up as Mixon was a good man with us after, but it was a terrible thing to behold.

Much worse than what Burton did after a tough game and crazy fans running at him not even knowing if it is a girl or not.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 11:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Have to agree, Mixon punched that girl right in the face as hard as possible. He knew it was a girl.  

It was cringe able and have tried to forget it since he was a Bengal.

I don't like it even being brought up as Mixon was a good man with us after, but it was a terrible thing to behold.

Much worse than what Burton did after a tough game and crazy fans running at him not even knowing if it is a girl or not.

Don't get me wrong,, what Burton did was stupid and childish, but fans comparing it to Mixon is goofy.
Reply/Quote
Like this pick even more today. Character issues are a concern but hey, the NFL is already full of characters.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 11:01 PM)Eraserhead Wrote: Bengals got the #4 wr in this draft at pick 80. Cigar

Fans are going to forget Boyd quickly.

I wish Boyd the best, I hope he lands on an expensive contract for any NFC team. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 11:13 PM)wanga Wrote: Like this pick even more today. Character issues are a concern but hey, the NFL is already full of characters.

Bengals fans may not like this comparison,, but Burton has some serious Hines Ward and Steve Smith attitude and aggression about his game. I love that as long as he's not drawing penalties all the time.
Reply/Quote
Time will tell, Chiefs got Worthy and Rosengarten (RT) and we got Mims and Burton. I love Worthy, but Burton as our 3rd receiver is impressive.

I will take Mims over Rosengarten all day and I liked him as well, but Mims is a beast.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out over the years.

One thing is certain, Chiefs are a great organization with a great QB, TE and defense.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 11:18 PM)Eraserhead Wrote: Bengals fans may not like this comparison,, but Burton has some serious Hines Ward and Steve Smith attitude and aggression about his game. I love that as long as he's not drawing penalties all the time.

If he blocks like Ward and takes the top off a defense like Smith, I will be thrilled. 

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 11:18 PM)Eraserhead Wrote: Bengals fans may not like this comparison,, but Burton has some serious Hines Ward and Steve Smith attitude and aggression about his game. I love that as long as he's not drawing penalties all the time.

(04-27-2024, 11:24 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If he blocks like Ward and takes the top off a defense like Smith, I will be thrilled. 

Give them stealers some dirty blocks as well I guess. Break some jaws. J/K 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 11:17 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Fans are going to forget Boyd quickly.

I wish Boyd the best, I hope he lands on an expensive contract for any NFC team. 

Boyd was kind of slow and had some drops. It's a speed game.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 11:17 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Character aside, I just don't think this guy is a Boyd replacement in the slot. His route tree is way too limited, from what I hear.

Seems like more of a Higgins hedge/replacement on the outside.

We may see some Chase in the slot this year. Jones & Irwin also.

(04-27-2024, 12:20 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Where are you hearing this?  He has a full route tree beyond the line of scrimmage.  No bubble screens or dump offs, he is a down the field receiver, but can run routes from all 3 spots. No doubt he likely needs some professional refining.

He had most of his catches outside the numbers in 2023, but in 2022 the majority of his catches were inside and he played a ton of snaps in the slot.  

I think he is Boyd's immediate replacement. 

Just came across this again. To be clear, I think Burton is definitely Boyd's replacement as WR3, but not solely in the slot, which he can play. My preference is Chase playing in the slot more often. I should have clarified better.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 05:03 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Just came across this again. To be clear, I think Burton is definitely Boyd's replacement as WR3, but not solely in the slot, which he can play. My preference is Chase playing in the slot more often. I should have clarified better.

Burton allows alignment flexibility with our receivers. I doubt any of Chase/higgins/burton play 80% of their snaps from the slot. Maybe Charlie jones will/would; but that’s going to be on a likely smaller snap count. That being said, if Charlie jones can come in and be slotomatic and contribute ala Jordan shipley (rookie year), I’m all for that as well.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 05:03 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Just came across this again.  To be clear, I think Burton is definitely Boyd's replacement as WR3, but not solely in the slot, which he can play.  My preference is Chase playing in the slot more often.  I should have clarified better.

Wherever they put him, I hope our WRs give DC nightmares 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 05:03 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Just came across this again.  To be clear, I think Burton is definitely Boyd's replacement as WR3, but not solely in the slot, which he can play.  My preference is Chase playing in the slot more often.  I should have clarified better.

Agree. Chase is so dangerous in the Slot. I like Jermaine Burton more than some of the other WR's that were around who were primarily 
Slot WR's Burton can play in the Slot and on the outside. One of my favorites was Malachi Corley but he was primarily a Slot WR in college.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 11:01 PM)Eraserhead Wrote: Bengals got the #4 wr in this draft at pick 80. Cigar

I sure hope this is true. Considering the first three went in the top 10.

I love that he had the most receiving yards and the highest ypc on Georgia’s national championship team that also had Pickens, Ladd, and AD Mitchell. Three guys who ended up being second rounders.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 11:12 PM)Eraserhead Wrote: Don't get me wrong,, what Burton did was stupid and childish, but fans comparing it to Mixon is goofy.

Of course, some could assert what Burton did was worse. The girl Mixon punched was being combative against him. The girl Burton close-lined was not engaging him at all. She was just trying to celebrate her team's victory.

I'm not ready to suggest one was "worse". 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 05:03 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Just came across this again. To be clear, I think Burton is definitely Boyd's replacement as WR3, but not solely in the slot, which he can play. My preference is Chase playing in the slot more often. I should have clarified better.

He definitely is I’ve been told. And Burton can cause plenty of problems on the outside.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Just watched the video of what Burton did. Reading about it from some posters, I got the impression it was much of nothing. But looking at it? Yeah, it was pretty horrific. He went out of his way to hit her. She is a girl running onto the field and he went out of his way to strike her. And Nick Saban's comments about his needing to keep his emotions in check makes it seem like there may be more history to his emotional immaturity than just this incident.

We'll see what happens from here on out. Did he learn from the scrutiny and it's falling draft status? Was this some youthful error in judgment and emotion that he will grow out of? Of will he be like the the 35-year-old that still has road rage incidents? Or like Burfict who lost 5 million dollars in salary and fines and still couldn't control himself?

Love his talent. But I am admittedly seething to see him strike that girl. That, in my mind, is indefensible. Will he learn and be a success story? Lord, I hope so. Tennessee fans seem to indicate he never apologized to the girl, just "forgave himself." I hope that isn't true, and, if so, at some point he does apologize to her.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 09:52 PM)Nepa Wrote: Just watched the video of what Burton did. Reading about it from some posters, I got the impression it was much of nothing. But looking at it? Yeah, it was pretty horrific. He went out of his way to hit her.  She is a girl running onto the field and he went out of his way to strike her. And Nick Saban's comments about his needing to keep his emotions in check makes it seem like there may be more history to his emotional immaturity than just this incident.

We'll see what happens from here on out. Did he learn from the scrutiny and it's falling draft status? Was this some youthful error in judgment and emotion that he will grow out of? Of will he be like the the 35-year-old that still has road rage incidents?  Or like Burfict who lost 5 million dollars in salary and fines and still couldn't control himself?

Love his talent. But I am admittedly seething to see him strike that girl. That, in my mind, is indefensible. Will he learn and be a success story? Lord, I hope so. Tennessee fans seem to indicate he never apologized to the girl, just "forgave himself."  I hope that isn't true, and, if so, at some point he does apologize to her.

I am a Tennessee fan and everyone was pretty livid at the total lack of response from both Burton and Saban. However, whatever he did it wasn't nearly as bad as Mixon so if he can come in and be ok so can Burton. We have a mature locker room with strong leadership and I think they can continue to help him mature.
Reply/Quote

Just to clarify, we are in agreement on us wanting him to be the third WR. But for me, WR3 means slot. Higgins is gonna be outside. Chase has played the vast majority of his snaps outside. I think he could work in the slot, but we have not done it much. Maybe Boyd was the reason. 

I just think it is gonna be hard for Burton to get a lot of snaps if he isn't primarily a slot. And so far in his career, he's mostly been outside.

But my concerns were from several places. First off, at least for 2023, he mostly lined up outside. He is not a slot guy like R. Wilson or Corley. I much prefer guys to have excelled at a thing rather than dabbled in it or projected to be able to do it. 

Second, his strengths appear to be deep stuff, contested catches, and hands. He is pretty slight. Not great after the catch. That seems more like an outside guy rather than over the middle/inside/slot guy.

I cannot find the route tree comment again (of course). It was from one of the grades of the pick itself. However, in looking for it, I did find some other draftnicks who were more bullish on his route running. So maybe I am just off-base there. 

Sure, we'll try him in the slot. We tried Carman at guard and on the right, too. And Hill at safety. 

The Burton, All, and Ole Miss picks are my least favorites of the bunch. 

Mims, Jenkins, Jackson, & Lee are my favorites. 
Reply/Quote