Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome Jermaine Burton!
(04-27-2024, 12:12 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I think it is insanely dumb to worry about a kid moving from middle school to HS, to IMG and back home.  My kid did the same at McCallie and he is a high character person.

Also anyone worried about a 17 year old wavering on verbal commitments needs to do a little research, that happens EVERY recruiting season in football and basketball. The schools, college coaches and the boosters have much more to do with signing day volatility than the kid.

That said, I am not condoning the UT fiasco or stupid penalties on the field, he must mature if he is going to have a real career.  But the transfer stuff is amateur at best.

It's a combination thing. If he just changed schools a bunch, but was a good character guy and a hard worker, no one would care.

It's that in combination with the immaturity on the field, the struggles he's had with his coaches and the lack of being able to contain his frustrations that make you see a pattern with the multiple changes of schools.

Humans are pattern seeking animals. It's not surprising this all fit together in evaluators' minds.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 12:20 PM)casear2727 Wrote: No bubble screens or dump offs

Bengals play calling: SadGaah
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
I am going to consider this a Jameson Williams type pick - first round talent, but might show up in a select few games. I don't really care about the character issues besides his personality which really doesn't seem like it would fit in with this team. Might be a better guy than I think, does anybody know his background? Seems like an interesting character.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 12:39 PM)CJD Wrote: It's a combination thing. If he just changed schools a bunch, but was a good character guy and a hard worker, no one would care.

It's that in combination with the immaturity on the field, the struggles he's had with his coaches and the lack of being able to contain his frustrations that make you see a pattern with the multiple changes of schools.

Humans are pattern seeking animals. It's not surprising this all fit together in evaluators' minds.

I dont necessarily disagree.  But unless there is evidence of poor conduct triggering the transfers I think this is a ton of piling on.

My son attended a private middle school, then went to the corresponding catholic high school, he was accepted to McCallie and tried it out, like an idiot he didnt think it was for him so he came home and wanted to finish at the public high school.  That's 4 schools with zero character issues.

As to the wavering of college commitments he gave a verbal to Miami in his sophomore season, those never stick.  He then switched to LSU after they won the title in his junior season.  He ultimately chose UGA because his entire family is in Atlanta.

Again, the kid has had issues and I think it is a concern, Im just off on the transfer & college commitment stuff.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 12:49 PM)DYT-Flyer Wrote: I am going to consider this a Jameson Williams type pick - first round talent, but might show up in a select few games. I don't really care about the character issues besides his personality which really doesn't seem like it would fit in with this team. Might be a better guy than I think, does anybody know his background? Seems like an interesting character.

I spoke with a guy last night whose wife is a PT for the Bama team and she said he is a wonderful person, take it for what it's worth.  

Burton slapped at a girl amongst a bunch of fans storming the field, he has had multiple unsportsmanlike penalties, been a headache to coaches at times, but all of it is apparently correctable...  I think he will be fine.  He will have mentors here.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 11:45 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I think Burton will be a solid wr. Solid route running. Great hands. Great runner. Seems to have some ‘dog’ in him— hopefully not too much. But I think him and Chase will be a great duo.

Cool

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 12:55 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I dont necessarily disagree.  But unless there is evidence of poor conduct triggering the transfers I think this is a ton of piling on.

My son attended a private middle school, then went to the corresponding catholic high school, he was accepted to McCallie and tried it out, like an idiot he didnt think it was for him so he came home and wanted to finish at the public high school.  That's 4 schools with zero character issues.

As to the wavering of college commitments he gave a verbal to Miami in his sophomore season, those never stick.  He then switched to LSU after they won the title in his junior season.  He ultimately chose UGA because his entire family is in Atlanta.

Again, the kid has had issues and I think it is a concern, Im just off on the transfer & college commitment stuff.

I think we're on the same page.  The only thing that makes it odd is the talent level.  Zac looked pretty psyched to get him despite all of these things.  That's good, but also a red flag to me.

Coaches go to great lengths to accommodate exceptional talent.  It sounds like at least two coaches with a lot of skins on the wall (Saban, Smart)  didn't love his emotional development.  Smart ran him out of Athens.  If a kid has Burton's alleged first round potential, wouldn't one of those guys have had a bit more tolerance for his antics?  Nick wasn't exactly singing his praises despite keeping him around.  How many coaches actually throw their former players under the bus like that?  I can see it in closed-door consultations, but publicly is a different deal.  

Burton has a strange vibe.  He's young enough to shed his reputation.  Hopefully the team keeps his leash short and gives him the resources he needs to make better decisions.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 12:58 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I spoke with a guy last night whose wife is a PT for the Bama team and she said he is a wonderful person, take it for what it's worth.  

Burton slapped at a girl amongst a bunch of fans storming the field, he has had multiple unsportsmanlike penalties, been a headache to coaches at times, but all of it is apparently correctable...  I think he will be fine.  He will have mentors here.

It's also important to acknowledge he's young. People can mature and change.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 12:58 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I spoke with a guy last night whose wife is a PT for the Bama team and she said he is a wonderful person, take it for what it's worth.  

Yeah, most of his problems stem from not being able to control his emotions. That's something TJ has talked to him about and is helping him with...and I'm sure Troy will work with him on that as well. As Burton said during his presser, it's time to be a man. 

If he can learn to keep his emotions in check and eliminate the immaturity issues...the Bengals will have a first round talent who absolutely loves football.

It's a risk for sure, but the thought of Chase, Higgins, Burton and Gesicki... Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 12:39 PM)CJD Wrote: It's a combination thing. If he just changed schools a bunch, but was a good character guy and a hard worker, no one would care.

From everything I've heard and read, the issues with coaches had a lot to do with him having a diva / entitled type attitude which rubbed many the wrong way right off the bat. I sure hope he's telling the truth about working hard on the immaturity issues and growth as a person. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 10:33 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, I get it. I too hope he earns OROY but we cannot talk out of both sides of our mouths. I felt the exact way about Joe Mixon; I wish the Bengals would have cut him after his summer of "Road Rage" (I know, she made it up) and house guests shooting neighbors. Not only did they not cut him, they made him Team Captain. 
I was also one of the few that wanted Pac-Man gone after he punched the girl at the bar. 

I'm sure TJ vouched for him and it seemed to be good enough for the team so "Go JB!"

I get it and I respect it.  FWIW, I would've gone with Roman Wilson.  I've had Burton off my board for the Bengals completely for most of the draft process because of his issues.  However, every team takes shots on these types of prospects from time to time. 

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 01:21 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: From everything I've heard and read, the issues with coaches had a lot to do with him having a diva / entitled type attitude which rubbed many the wrong way right off the bat. I sure hope he's telling the truth about working hard on the immaturity issues and growth as a person. 

I want to believe that he will learn his place in the presence of Burrow and of course Chase and Tee. He not only will be at most 3rd overall WR as a rook, but he also was not drafted to be the top dog either down the road. So any ego he had in college probably will get humbled very quickly in the locker room and practice field if wants to carry it over to the NFL.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 05:56 AM)IcoHolic Wrote: I did have a rule... maybe stupid, pointless and idealistic... but my sons weren't allowed a Mixon jersey.  I did put my money where my mouth is and disposed of my classic Roberto Alomar jersey.

It's not stupid, it's sticking to your guns. I'd never sport a Mixon jersey, but I learned to live and let live as far as being absolutely disgusted he was on the team.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 01:05 PM)samhain Wrote: I think we're on the same page.  The only thing that makes it odd is the talent level.  Zac looked pretty psyched to get him despite all of these things.  That's good, but also a red flag to me.

Coaches go to great lengths to accommodate exceptional talent.  It sounds like at least two coaches with a lot of skins on the wall (Saban, Smart)  didn't love his emotional development.  Smart ran him out of Athens.  If a kid has Burton's alleged first round potential, wouldn't one of those guys have had a bit more tolerance for his antics?  Nick wasn't exactly singing his praises despite keeping him around.  How many coaches actually throw their former players under the bus like that?  I can see it in closed-door consultations, but publicly is a different deal.  

Burton has a strange vibe.  He's young enough to shed his reputation.  Hopefully the team keeps his leash short and gives him the resources he needs to make better decisions.

If Smart ran him off or there were serious issues Nick doesn’t take him. Nick doesn’t need to take anybody and won’t if there’s even remotely an issue. I watched it on TV. Saban was excited for him and raved about his work ethic and abilities. He said he made poor decisions and was immature. And it’s a red flag Zac was excited? Or that they got a first round WR talent in the third?
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
This could possibly turn out to be our best pick.Very good route runner.Of course,he could turn out to be his own worst enemy.Hoping he makes it.He’s very talented.
Reply/Quote
Character issue is like saying no young man who ever did something dumb can't play and grow up. It's not like a few decades ago when these kids were coming straight off the streets.  They can make millions and millions of dollars quickly and the league has plenty of programs now to help them overcome young dumb things. That doesn't mean there's no dumb ones out there still,  but there's a lot more mentoring and so forth than awhile back. He'll be fine. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 09:10 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: This could possibly turn out to be our best pick.Very good route runner.Of course,he could turn out to be his own worst enemy.Hoping he makes it.He’s very talented.

Did Bengals really take a chance? Kid made a mistake, but he arguably is a first-round talent in round 3 who is teaming with Burrow, Chase, Higgins and Gesicki + 2 other possible TE's?

I trust Zac, he just has not drafted douche bag players. I also trust TJ and love he has trained and also mentored him. 

Now we need to get Munoz and Anderson to mentor Mims. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
This is a great pick. He could potentially be Higgins replacement.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 10:38 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: This is a great pick. He could potentially be Higgins replacement.

Burton has the speed, route running and talent to do it.

I also think Burrow and our coaches and company could keep Jermaine on the good path.

We will see, could be great.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 04:28 PM)Wyche Wrote: It's not stupid, it's sticking to your guns. I'd never sport a Mixon jersey, but I learned to live and let live as far as being absolutely disgusted he was on the team.

Comparing what he did,, shoving the girls head, with Mixon breaking a girls face is just stupid. Yes it was immature moron shit, but not the same at all. 
Reply/Quote