Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome Jermaine Burton!
Zac on the character concerns:

"We did our research on all these guys that we've talked to and made sure we're aware of every incident they've been a part of," Taylor said. "There's certainly maturity things that come with some of these guys coming out of these colleges and that's one of the things he'll continue to grow with."

Burton on the incident

“It was something I had to move past forward,” Burton said. “It was a very emotional, passionate game, and a lot was on the line. I have really learned in situations like that. We played LSU (two weeks later) and the same thing happened, and I was one of the first guys in the locker room. I quickly separated myself and understood there’s more at stake.”
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Our top 3 wideouts will be better than last year.

Very excited about Burton.

I do think he is a 4 year player for us and then he cashes in elsewhere, but he will be great for 4 years here and we can draft his replacement at some point before he leaves.

I am pumped about our offense!
WRs are better.
OT is better with more depth.
TE is better with gesicki being a great pass catching option and red zone threat.
I think we have 4 great receiving options this year plus our depth receivers below Burton and gesicki.

I think our running backs will be better too. Brown is explosive and we have a great 3rd down back that can pass protect and get difficult yards up the middle.

Remaining needs would be depth at interior oline as our starters are old and won’t be around too much longer.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
Hot Take: Burton has the first receiving TD for the Bengals in 2024.

Reply/Quote
GREAT PICK.. I would still draft Jacob Cowing, can’t pass up the talent this late in the draft.

Chase, Higgins, Burton, Cowing, Charlie Jones
Reply/Quote
I wasn't big on the Mixon pick at the time, but one horrible mistake does not define a person. Weird things with him last offseason, but overall... good guy.

I do think Burton is coming to an organisation with a great locker room and support system...

Welcome aboard Jermaine, don't be a dumbass!

Zac seems like a legitimately good human beyond football, and people like that tend to only surround themselves with good people.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 01:29 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, I went back and re-read the last 3 pages. Folks are praising it. 

I didn't say anyone excused the Tennesse incident..

So what would you say if Pit had made the pick? 

We needed a starting caliber WR.  We passed on that need in the 1st and took Mims instead(which I'm cool with).  Then a big run on WR's happened in the late 1st and early 2nd, so we took Jenkins(which I'm also cool with).  3rd rolls around and you've got a kid with 1st round talent at a premium position of need, but character issues.  If the kid keeps his nose clean, you've got an elite talent at a premium position.  If he doesn't, we're out a 3rd round pick, which stinks, but teams miss on 3rd round picks all the time.  It's not the end of the world.

He's a Bengal, so I hope he's matured and reaches his elite potential.  If he was a Steeler, then I'd hope he hasn't matured, punches Webster in the mouth, and gets cut.  

For us, he's a gamble.  But a 3rd round pick on a Top 20 talent at a premium position where you need an immediate starter is a risk worth taking.

Here's a question, which do you think is more likely, Burton never hits a woman again or Sweat never drinks and drives again?
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 01:29 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, I went back and re-read the last 3 pages. Folks are praising it. 

Well, I hate everything Pittsburgh does and think every move they make is stupid and all their players are terrible people, but that just comes from my irrational hatred for the Steelers.

I kinda want Justin Fields to do well though, just not in that jersey.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 01:24 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Are people praising it or just hoping for the best? I haven’t seen anyone try and excuse the Tennessee incident.

....other than one poster who completely glossed over it. Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 01:41 AM)CottonHill Wrote: Watch the tape guys. That nasty hillbilly woman was coming right at him…he got frightened and had an involuntary right arm twitch/hook that accidentally connected. The guy was in danger

I hope this is satire......

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 03:25 AM)IcoHolic Wrote: I wasn't big on the Mixon pick at the time, but one horrible mistake does not define a person. Weird things with him last offseason, but overall... good guy.

I do think Burton is coming to an organisation with a great locker room and support system...

Welcome aboard Jermaine, don't be a dumbass!

Zac seems like a legitimately good human beyond football, and people like that tend to only surround themselves with good people.

All true....and I HATED the Joe Mixon pick. I have two daughters, I was livid that night. Absolutely beside myself over it. Then he comes to town and becomes a rather model citizen. I see a lot of crazy dumbasses on the road every day. I'm going to say he likely didn't do anything that day. He shouldn't have let those knuckleheads crash at his house.

This incident wasn't anything like Mixon's, but I still am not much of a fan of it. That said, I learned from my reaction to Joe Mixon, so I'm gonna wait and see how things play out this time before I totally freak out, lol. People are capable of change, and a lot of people do stupid and impulsive/reactionary things as youngsters.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 05:50 AM)Wyche Wrote: All true....and I HATED the Joe Mixon pick. I have two daughters, I was livid that night. Absolutely beside myself over it. Then he comes to town and becomes a rather model citizen. I see a lot of crazy dumbasses on the road every day. I'm going to say he likely didn't do anything that day. He shouldn't have let those knuckleheads crash at his house.

This incident wasn't anything like Mixon's, but I still am not much of a fan of it. That said, I learned from my reaction to Joe Mixon, so I'm gonna wait and see how things play out this time before I totally freak out, lol. People are capable of change, and a lot of people do stupid and impulsive/reactionary things as youngsters.

I did have a rule... maybe stupid, pointless and idealistic... but my sons weren't allowed a Mixon jersey.  I did put my money where my mouth is and disposed of my classic Roberto Alomar jersey.
Reply/Quote

I know what the media and the Pitt fans would of said...
Reply/Quote
Like the pick good size & speed played against big time competition. Can play some slot this year and give you a speed element you didn’t have with Boyd and could play outside next year if Higgins leaves ? Far as the character concerns every team takes chances it’s all a gamble , guys like Sweat and Mitchell taken top off rd. 2. With Housh training him I’m sure we got a ton off inside info that other teams might have not had.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 11:44 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Solid pick and this helps tremendously if Higgins has another Hammy issue

Always put hamstring in quotes
Reply/Quote

Burton has the ability to transform the offense, truly freeing up Tee and Chase.   He is most likely the most impactful rookie in 2024.  Who gives a shit about the Steelers?  

First you are cutting BJ Hill leaving us with one vet and 2 rookies, and now this?  Odd takes on Day 2 of the draft.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 08:29 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Like the pick good size & speed played against big time competition. Can play some slot this year and give you a speed element you didn’t have with Boyd and could play outside next year if Higgins leaves ? Far as the character concerns every team takes chances it’s all a gamble , guys like Sweat and Mitchell taken top off rd. 2. With Housh training him I’m sure we got a ton off inside info that other teams might have not had.

Did houshmanzadeh also announce him?
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 09:13 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Did houshmanzadeh also announce him?

Yes

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 05:50 AM)Wyche Wrote: All true....and I HATED the Joe Mixon pick. I have two daughters, I was livid that night. Absolutely beside myself over it. Then he comes to town and becomes a rather model citizen. I see a lot of crazy dumbasses on the road every day. I'm going to say he likely didn't do anything that day. He shouldn't have let those knuckleheads crash at his house.

If it helps any, I watched the incident with Burton at the Tennessee game, and IMO it was more on the minor side of things. In no way am I excusing it or going to try to justify it, but it did not appear to be an all out punch so to speak. It was dumb for sure, but a more heat of the moment right after losing a tough game kind of thing.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote