Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome Jermaine Burton!
(05-01-2024, 01:10 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Just to clarify, we are in agreement on us wanting him to be the third WR. But for me, WR3 means slot. Higgins is gonna be outside. Chase has played the vast majority of his snaps outside. I think he could work in the slot, but we have not done it much. Maybe Boyd was the reason. 

I just think it is gonna be hard for Burton to get a lot of snaps if he isn't primarily a slot. And so far in his career, he's mostly been outside.

But my concerns were from several places. First off, at least for 2023, he mostly lined up outside. He is not a slot guy like R. Wilson or Corley. I much prefer guys to have excelled at a thing rather than dabbled in it or projected to be able to do it. 

Second, his strengths appear to be deep stuff, contested catches, and hands. He is pretty slight. Not great after the catch. That seems more like an outside guy rather than over the middle/inside/slot guy.

I cannot find the route tree comment again (of course). It was from one of the grades of the pick itself. However, in looking for it, I did find some other draftnicks who were more bullish on his route running. So maybe I am just off-base there. 

Sure, we'll try him in the slot. We tried Carman at guard and on the right, too. And Hill at safety. 

The Burton, All, and Ole Miss picks are my least favorites of the bunch. 

Mims, Jenkins, Jackson, & Lee are my favorites. 

He had almost 200 snaps from the slot over the last 2 years. He was mainly outside in 2023 but did a lot of slot in 2022. So he has the experience and versatility to be successful at both, it seems. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 09:52 PM)Nepa Wrote: Just watched the video of what Burton did. Reading about it from some posters, I got the impression it was much of nothing. But looking at it? Yeah, it was pretty horrific. He went out of his way to hit her.  She is a girl running onto the field and he went out of his way to strike her. And Nick Saban's comments about his needing to keep his emotions in check makes it seem like there may be more history to his emotional immaturity than just this incident.

We'll see what happens from here on out. Did he learn from the scrutiny and it's falling draft status? Was this some youthful error in judgment and emotion that he will grow out of? Of will he be like the the 35-year-old that still has road rage incidents?  Or like Burfict who lost 5 million dollars in salary and fines and still couldn't control himself?

Love his talent. But I am admittedly seething to see him strike that girl. That, in my mind, is indefensible. Will he learn and be a success story? Lord, I hope so. Tennessee fans seem to indicate he never apologized to the girl, just "forgave himself."  I hope that isn't true, and, if so, at some point he does apologize to her.

I haven't watched the vid yet. So sorry if I acted like it was nothing with no knowledge of it.

What Mixon done was horrific though. Guess I will have to watch the vid eventually, but would rather watch the good things he done for now.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 09:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course, some could assert what Burton did was worse. The girl Mixon punched was being combative against him. The girl Burton close-lined was not engaging him at all. She was just trying to celebrate her team's victory.

I'm not ready to suggest one was "worse". 

Dude, you need help.  Mellow

Molitor's face was broken in multiple places requiring hospitalization and surgery. 
Isaac was rightfully pissed off and went to TikTok to express her feelings.

To say you can't suggest one is worse is,, sorry dude, a little sick. 

What both dudes did was wrong,, but those apples aren't even close to being in the same cart. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 05:02 PM)Eraserhead Wrote: Dude, you need help.  Mellow

Molitor's face was broken in multiple places requiring hospitalization and surgery. 
Isaac was rightfully pissed off and went to TikTok to express her feelings.

To say you can't suggest one is worse is,, sorry dude, a little sick. 

What both dudes did was wrong,, but those apples aren't even close to being in the same cart. 

No help required; I just not ready to assign levels of "worse" based on outcome rather than intent.

If the girl JB hit would have fallen and broken her arm/wrist/collarbone...... would that then make it "worse."

Some folks base actions on intent, not outcome. 

Both intended to hit a female; it's just one did it without being directly engaged (slapped) by the female he struck.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 05:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No help required; I just not ready to assign levels of "worse" based on outcome rather than intent.

If the girl JB hit would have fallen and broken her arm/wrist/collarbone...... would that then make it "worse."

Both intended to hit a female; it's just one did it without being directly engaged (slapped) by the female he struck.

So I should have both of my parents arrested for slapping and spanking me when I was a child because I MAY have fallen down and sustained serious injury?

Both are 100% in the wrong, but Burton throws what appears to be an open hand without putting any of his body weight into it, versus Mixon who put everything he had into a closed fist punch.  Mixon was very obviously trying to injure the girl he punched.  Nothing from Burton's body language or the blow he struck suggests the same.  Mixon was way worse.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 05:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No help required; I just not ready to assign levels of "worse" based on outcome rather than intent.

You just keep making worse points guy. 

If me and you both intend to egg a car,, but my egg annoys the owner cause he has to clean his windshield and your egg causes the owner to drive off the road and get into a bad crash,, they yes dude, one is clearly worse no matter what the intent was. lol 

Can't believe I'm having to explain this to a grown ass dude. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 09:42 AM)CJD Wrote: And, look, you're going to sound like an apologist/biased fan when you say it, but it really wasn't that bad. This is not a Joe Mixon situation. It looked more like a slap than a punch to me. You be the judge.

Maybe the video is just grainy or I'm just not seeing it well, but I don't see more than a light push.
The person being contact barely even moves?
I hesitate to even say shove because that feels too strong of a word compared to what I see on video.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 05:43 PM)Eraserhead Wrote: You just keep making worse points guy. 

If me and you both intend to egg a car,, but my egg annoys the owner cause he has to clean his windshield and your egg causes the owner to drive off the road and get into a bad crash,, they yes dude, one is clearly worse no matter what the intent was. lol 

First off. Work on your people skills. Secondly, the intent versus impact debate can have various degrees of merit in both the courtroom and personal interaction.

No one has been more critical of Mixon's actions than me, but I'm not ready to say the action was worse than what Burton did. The impact of Mixon's was much worse, but he claims he intended to protect himself after he was struck. Burton just wanted to hit a girl who was trying to celebrate a team victory.

So you can continue to feign indignation and disbelief all you wish, but I'm not here to assert the action Burton performed wasn't every bit as bad as what Mixon did; it's just Mixon's was more impactful. 

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 06:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Maybe the video is just grainy or I'm just not seeing it well, but I don't see more than a light push.
The person being contact barely even moves?
I hesitate to even say shove because that feels too strong of a word compared to what I see on video.

Isaac said on her intitial TikTok post that he "smacked her in the head as she walked past him",, then clarified to someone's reply that he "pushed her head as she tried to avoid him". She then made her account private. 

Not great either way and a stupid action by him,, but some on here and social media are acting like he went full Joe Mixon on her. 
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 05:43 PM)Whatever Wrote: So I should have both of my parents arrested for slapping and spanking me when I was a child because I MAY have fallen down and sustained serious injury?

Both are 100% in the wrong, but Burton throws what appears to be an open hand without putting any of his body weight into it, versus Mixon who put everything he had into a closed fist punch.  Mixon was very obviously trying to injure the girl he punched.  Nothing from Burton's body language or the blow he struck suggests the same.  Mixon was way worse.

What do you think Burton intended to do? 

Which one had the provocation to strike?

Anything after "They are both 100% wrong' is mitigating Burton's actions and I'm not here to do that. 

If we want to go further down this rabbit hole. Mixon contacted the female he struck and personally apologized along with issuing statements of his wrong doing. 
https://www.foxsports.com/stories/college-football/joe-mixon-reaches-settlement-with-oklahoma-woman-he-punched-in-2014
Quote:"I'm thankful Mia and I were able to talk privately," Mixon said. "I was able to apologize to her one-to-one. The way I reacted that night, that's not me. That's not the way I was raised. I think she understands that. Talking together helps move us past what happened. I know I have to keep working to be a better person, and this is another step in that direction."

Does anyone have anything that shows Burton has done likewise? 

We do know he has forgiven himself:
https://www.outkick.com/sports/jermaine-burton-breaks-silence-on-hitting-female-tennessee-fan-offers-cowardly-comments

Quote:That whole situation, it was a mistake. I can't hold that against myself forever ... But a mistake is a mistake. You move past it. I'm not going to let situation frame me as a person or shape me as a person because I know who I am, and my team knows who I am," Burton said Saturday after beating Kansas State in the Sugar Bowl, according to KnoxNews.com..

and blamed the SEC
Quote:When talking about field stormings, Burton further added, "It can be hostile in a lot of situations. The (SEC) can do whatever they can, but it's not safe for a lot of people."

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 06:49 PM)Eraserhead Wrote: She said on her intitial TikTok post that he "smacked her in the head",, then clarified to someone's reply that he "pushed her head as she tried to avoid him". She then made her account private. 

Not great either way and a stupid action by him,, but some on here and social media are acting like he went full Joe Mixon on her. 

Most likely made it private because folks (read inbred Alabama fans) were telling her it wasn't as bad as other cases.....

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 06:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: First off. Work on your people skills. Secondly, the intent versus impact debate can have various degrees of merit in both the courtroom and personal interaction.

No one has been more critical of Mixon's actions than me, but I'm not ready to say the action was worse than what Burton did. The impact of Mixon's was much worse, but he claims he intended to protect himself after he was struck. Burton just wanted to hit a girl who was trying to celebrate a team victory.

So you can continue to feign indignation and disbelief all you wish, but I'm not here to assert the action Burton performed wasn't every bit as bad as what Mixon did; it's just Mixon's was more impactful. 

Never go full
 [Image: avatar_209.jpg?dateline=1654493842]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 06:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Most likely made it private because folks (read inbred Alabama fans) were telling her it wasn't as bad as other cases.....

I love how you casually ignore her own clarification,, which is counter to your point that his "intent" was the same as Mixon's,, who followed the girl back inside after already having a altercation outside and ended up punching her with a clinched fist. 
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 07:09 PM)Eraserhead Wrote: I love how you casually ignore her own clarification,, which is counter to your point that his "intent" was the same as Mixon's,, who followed the girl back inside after already having a altercation outside and ended up punching her with a clinched fist. 

Yeah, she should know the difference between getting punched in the head and shoved in the head. Like I said; she most likely went private because folks (you know the type) were telling her it wasn't as bad as....

As to "Full Fred" he'd be on your side because they would differ in a court of law.

I never agreed with him much either

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 05:43 PM)Eraserhead Wrote: You just keep making worse points guy. 

you do know bfine is baiting you, correct?

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 08:17 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: you do know bfine is baiting you, correct?

Not at all...just not going to mitigate what Burton did by saying "It's not as bad..."

Others can; it's their opinion; I've not stated they're wrong, merely supported why I am not.

Reply/Quote
Anyone want to actually talk about what the kid will bring as a player?

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 08:35 PM)Nidomo Hideo Wrote: Anyone want to actually talk about what the kid will bring as a player?

he's bringing back what mixon took with him

fists for females

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
Well, no 5-1-3. Burton is supposedly going to wear 81.

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 06:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: First off. Work on your people skills. Secondly, the intent versus impact debate can have various degrees of merit in both the courtroom and personal interaction.

I agree, looked like he barely even touched her. If we (as a society) can get past what Mixon did, I think this will also be long forgotten in a year. If we didn’t draft Burton, would we even know of this incident?
Reply/Quote