Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Welcome home AJ McCarron
(09-23-2023, 04:47 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Yeah, we're a fickle lot.  

Last i remember he basically won us that playoff game

Did he play here longer? Memory is shot to hell
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2023, 05:18 PM)Housh Wrote: Last i remember he basically won us that playoff game

Yeah, he was here for a couple of seasons after that and then filed that grievance (which he won) to be a UFA.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2023, 05:18 PM)Housh Wrote: Last i remember he basically won us that playoff game

The defense and Vontaze Burfict had that game won. McCarron made a play on a short field. If AJ plays better the 3 other quarters, we probably win that game going away. Having said all that, he's a better player than Browning. I like the move.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Oh yes. AJ McCarron is an instant upgrade over Jake Browning and Reid Sinnett.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2023, 04:37 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Wait. Hold Up.... Didn't we hate on, and bash McCarron while he was here? So now he leaves for awhile, is brought back, and becomes the messiah of Cincinnati? Good Grief.

I think some were overzealous during the Dalton vs McCarron debate. Personally, I saw him for what he was....a serviceable backup that had trouble reading zone coverage (Denver game second half). He had a couple good games leading up to that. He also had a decent game manager type performance in the playoff game. Some act like he almost single handedly won it, but he had at least one turnover I remember, and a rating in the 60s if memory serves. Reality was AJ Green made a great TD grab, and Vontaze Burfict pretty much single handedly won us the game....before he helped lose it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2023, 05:24 PM)jason Wrote: The defense and Vontaze Burfict had that game won. McCarron made a play on a short field. If AJ plays better the 3 other quarters, we probably win that game going away. Having said all that, he's a better player than Browning. I like the move.

Ha, beat me to it.

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2023, 05:17 PM)Housh Wrote: He’s successful here and he’s back in the NFL. He has to grab this opportunity.

I actually think hell fit us like a glove if we want to transition to a short game

Yes, that's a good call Housh....he kinda has always excelled in the short game. Hindsight and all, we probably should've been kicking these tires earlier.

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2023, 05:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Oh yes.  AJ McCarron is an instant upgrade over Jake Browning and Reid Sinnett.

I believe so too. Pretty sure he was absolutely fantastic in the XFL. Throwing good passes and making good decisions are always good even if the competition isn't NFL quality. 
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2023, 05:56 PM)Wyche Wrote: I think some were overzealous during the Dalton vs McCarron debate. Personally, I saw him for what he was....a serviceable backup that had trouble reading zone coverage (Denver game second half). He had a couple good games leading up to that. He also had a decent game manager type performance in the playoff game. Some act like he almost single handedly won it, but he had at least one turnover I remember, and a rating in the 60s if memory serves. Reality was AJ Green made a great TD grab, and Vontaze Burfict pretty much single handedly won us the game....before he helped lose it.

Oh, I remember too well. He was stale that game until AJ did his AJ thing. And the loss? I felt like I was just told I have 1 week to live. Horrible week for the boards too. So much anger and heartbreak. 

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2023, 06:37 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Oh, I remember too well. He was stale that game until AJ did his AJ thing. And the loss? I felt like I was just told I have 1 week to live. Horrible week for the boards too. So much anger and heartbreak. 

I remember all too well sitting in a cold rain at PBS watching it unfold.

[Image: giphy.gif]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2023, 03:55 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Assume this is a sign Burrow will not be playing MNF.

This is what I was wondering or even if it is bad sign for Burrow and the rest of the season. But hopefully ( not all that positive either) they are just getting assurance because he might hurt his calf more on Monday night or any game there after.
Reply/Quote
This probably means Browning wasn’t playin well in practice too
-Housh
Reply/Quote
For the record I never hated on the guy. Decent backup who can “not lose” you a couple of games, and can make some plays. With the talent we have receiving, he might be decent. The OL still needs to hold its own.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2023, 06:37 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Oh, I remember too well. He was stale that game until AJ did his AJ thing. And the loss? I felt like I was just told I have 1 week to live. Horrible week for the boards too. So much anger and heartbreak. 

Meltdown Central. Of course, it was in my backyard for a few minutes too. LoL. That game changed my outlook on pro football. I don't play, I shouldn't let it bother me that bad. I think that's part of the reason I've had so much damn fun with this current run. I still am too. We're still playing the long game if the draft picks pan out. With 9 here, we've got a shot.

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2023, 08:42 PM)SladeX Wrote: For the record I never hated on the guy. Decent backup who can “not lose” you a couple of games, and can make some plays. With the talent we have receiving, he might be decent. The OL still needs to hold its own.

Yes, that's critical. He had that in 2015.  Defense will have to ball too. That said, this will also easily be the best skill position talent around him since his days at Alabama. He's experienced a lot at this point. This is what I like best about the pickup.... another set of eyes that have seen a lot of football. And some championship/playoff football too. 

Reply/Quote
Long time ago now but I remember him being ***** awful in that PO game apart from the pass to AJ, maybe my memory of it has tried to be killed by alcohol but it was the defence that nearly won us it.

Would actually be an interesting topic who made the most stupid play Burfict or Ossai.

God we are cursed LOL
Reply/Quote
Put some stripes on his hat and called him Macaroni?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

I think to be fair its difficult for a team to have a WORSE loss. Super Bowl losses aren't fun of course, but the Steelers game was almost impossible to write.

Going into that game, we hadn't won a playoff game for 25/26(?) years.

We started that year 8-0 right? We looked a real contender, and then Dalton gets an injury against... the Steelers.

McCarron comes in and does a serviceable job. Team is very decent and goes 3-1(?) with him.

Steelers in the Wild Card game... we did have to pull off a pretty decent comeback, but we had that game won the second Burfict picks Landry Jones off. Even when Hill fumbled it away, we're still favourites.

A hobbled Roethlisberger and two of the most stupid game losing penalties you will see later, and a team of great promise has it's season ended and it's playoff drought extended, in ridiculous circumstances by a foe we despise. 

Must have felt like we'd never recover from that at the time. Fortunately for me, I picked a great time to go on holiday and not be able to catch the game live!

Even though he had a pretty pedestrian game, I think it showed a lot that McCarron was able to lead those drives at the end. Guy seems to have 'winning' elements to his game, just isnt talented enough to start full time. Will be interesting to see what he still has.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2023, 04:55 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: #SuperBowl

I do like AJ.
And his wife is....nice.

I was always a fan of mom:

[Image: aj-mccarron-mom_crop_north.jpg?135758254...072&h=2048]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2023, 09:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I was always a fan of mom:

[Image: aj-mccarron-mom_crop_north.jpg?135758254...072&h=2048]
Thanks !