Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome to Londonistan
(05-16-2016, 05:11 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Do you know what we had in place back then?   A very limited immigration policy so it was easier for them to assimilate.   Now it's practically wide open.   We have a problem not with groups...  We have a problem with amounts.   They have no chance for assimilation.    

There is zero assimilation in Dearborn Michigan for example.  

I disagree (I know, you're shocked). We had little to no immigration controls until after the Civil War. Anti-Catholic efforts were here well before then. And even when we did start having immigration controls in the 1900s (ish), they were mostly southern state laws aimed at "brown" people.

As far as the rest, assimilation doesn't happen overnight. Unless you're the Borg. It takes decades. Longer if there's a considerable effort to keep that from happening. Which, in this case, there is. For Catholics, in some parts of the country, it was still an issue in JFK vs Nixon, well over a century when most of them first started coming here.

So, if you want to up that chance from 0 to a solid 3 or 5% of them assimilating, go hug a Muslim. Instead of posting stories about someone allegedly going to the bathroom in Europe and blaming it on a Muslim, tell an immigrant "hey, nice choice in landing spots." Instead of posting erroneous stories from propganda sites about mass raping sprees, invite a local Muslim family out for coffee.

Or, keeping going with hating the Catholics  Jews Blacks Muslims.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-16-2016, 04:20 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: The only context we have is what has been said on these boards in the past.  Racist poster posts racist comment...  I guess if we're all ok with that now, I'll just excuse myself.

Oh, I realize there have been a few posts he's needed kicked over.
I was merely talking about the deleted post and the context the racial stereotypes were being used.
I suppose I could be misremembering, but I don't think I am.
Could he have framed his point better and without the stereotypes ?
Absolutely.
But I think he used those to explain how cheaply he felt Obama panders for popularity points amongst the African-American community.
Let's face it, the guy does act more "white".
I don't think that's a big deal, but it is to a lot of African-Americans.
So... I guess Lucie was talking about him butching up his street cred, in his own "spicy" manner.

Side Note: Obama appears mauve, to me.
Ninja
(05-16-2016, 05:43 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Oh, I realize there have been a few posts he's needed kicked over.
I was merely talking about the deleted post and the context the racial stereotypes were being used.
I suppose I could be misremembering, but I don't think I am.
Could he have framed his point better and without the stereotypes ?
Absolutely.
But I think he used those to explain how cheaply he felt Obama panders for popularity points  amongst the African-American community.
Let's face it, the guy does act more "white".
I don't think that's a big deal, but it is to a lot of African-Americans.
So... I guess Lucie was talking about him butching up his street cred, in his own "spicy" manner.

Side Note: Obama appears mauve, to me.
Ninja

It's funny. The other day, Obama told graduates at Howard to be "proud of their blackness" and to not let another black person tell them "how to act black". Basically he was saying that you can act anyway you want and it doesn't remove you from the black community.

A lot of people took it out of context and called him a racist, yet, here we have people deciding how black he really is.

With regards to "spicy" language, give it whatever cute description you want, it's hate-mongering that you only see from insecure little people that are scared of a world that doesn't sanction the discrimination of anything that isn't male, straight, and white. It's best to ignore it instead of treating it as a novelty. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(05-16-2016, 05:32 PM)Benton Wrote: I disagree (I know, you're shocked). We had little to no immigration controls until after the Civil War. Anti-Catholic efforts were here well before then. And even when we did start having immigration controls in the 1900s (ish), they were mostly southern state laws aimed at "brown" people.

As far as the rest, assimilation doesn't happen overnight. Unless you're the Borg. It takes decades. Longer if there's a considerable effort to keep that from happening. Which, in this case, there is. For Catholics, in some parts of the country, it was still an issue in JFK vs Nixon, well over a century when most of them first started coming here.

So, if you want to up that chance from 0 to a solid 3 or 5% of them assimilating, go hug a Muslim. Instead of posting stories about someone allegedly going to the bathroom in Europe and blaming it on a Muslim, tell an immigrant "hey, nice choice in landing spots." Instead of posting erroneous stories from propganda sites about mass raping sprees, invite a local Muslim family out for coffee.

I am shocked you disagree lol. 

http://www.flowofhistory.org/themes/movement_settlement/uspolicytimeline.php

Immigration policy timeline seems we slowed down immigration during that time.   The potato famine caused the flood of Irish.   Which we responded by clamping down on immigration.   

On the rest ....:  you can make comments all you like about where a story is posted.   But that doesn't mean it was made up.   The people of Europe are gripping due to onslaught of refugees who aren't even refugees they are just people who don't want to follow the protocol for legal immigration.  

Are you against the rule of law?   Or just immigration laws in particular....    If you think the world should be borderless then just say it ....  But until the laws change we follow the laws.   
(05-16-2016, 05:57 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote:  ....  But until the laws change we follow the laws.  

We haven't followed immigration laws in decades.
(05-16-2016, 05:32 PM)Benton Wrote: I disagree (I know, you're shocked). We had little to no immigration controls until after the Civil War. Anti-Catholic efforts were here well before then. And even when we did start having immigration controls in the 1900s (ish), they were mostly southern state laws aimed at "brown" people.

Catholics and Jews weren't emigrating here or other countries committing rape, nor were they blowing shit up killing innocents.

There would be zero anti-muslim sentiment and Muslim immigration would not be the issue it has become if the evildoing associated with this religion didn't exist. You people continue to put the horse in front of the cart.

You call it propaganda because major news sources don't report it, and governments such as Germany instruct law enforcement to look the other way, both for fear of even more heightened anti-Muslim sentiment.

Here's some more propaganda for you. The German govt. putting up a website instructing migrants how to have sex properly.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/16/sex-manual-for-immigrants-sparks-backlash-in-germany/
(05-16-2016, 05:54 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It's funny. The other day, Obama told graduates at Howard to be "proud of their blackness" and to not let another black person tell them "how to act black". Basically he was saying that you can act anyway you want and it doesn't remove you from the black community.

A lot of people took it out of context and called him a racist, yet, here we have people deciding how black he really is. 

That's really awesome to hear !

He's still mauve though.
Ninja
(05-16-2016, 05:54 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It's funny. The other day, Obama told graduates at Howard to be "proud of their blackness" and to not let another black person tell them "how to act black". Basically he was saying that you can act anyway you want and it doesn't remove you from the black community.

With regards to "spicy" language, give it whatever cute description you want, it's hate-mongering that you only see from insecure little people that are scared of a world that doesn't sanction the discrimination of anything that isn't male, straight, and white. It's best to ignore it instead of treating it as a novelty. 

Speaking of commencement speeches, recall when Obamao decided to get real when delivering the commencement speech at all black Morehouse College only to be criticized for "finger wagging" from other blacks:

Quote:You are the mantle of Frederick Douglass and Booker T. Washington and Ralph Bunche and Langston Hughes and George Washington Carver and Ralph Abernathy and Thurgood Marshall and, yes, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. These men were many things to many people and they knew full well the role that racism played in their life. But when it came to their own accomplishments and sense of purpose, they had no time for excuses. Every one of you has a grandma or an uncle or a parent whose told you at some point in life as an African American you have to work twice as hard as anyone else if you want to get by.
There was a downpour at Morehouse yesterday during commencement, but the graduates weren’t only drenched in rain:
Quote:Sometimes I wrote off my own failings as just another example of the world trying to keep a black man down. I had a tendency sometimes to make excuses for me not doing the right thing. But one of the things that all of you have learned over the last four years, is there’s no longer any room for excuses.
And lastly:
Quote:….you have to remember that whatever you’ve gone through pales in comparison to the hardships previous generations endured – and they overcame, and if they overcame them, you can overcome them too.

And he's never done it since.
http://www.commondreams.org/news/2013/05/22/obamas-under-fire-personal-responsibility-finger-wagging-black-audiences
(05-16-2016, 06:27 PM)Benton Wrote: We haven't followed immigration laws in decades.

So we should just ignore the laws because others have that mistake?   Where does righting the wrong come into play here?     Really since the early 1950's immigration policy has taken a serious turn for the worst.    

Literacy tests, quotas, and locking out any region we are involved in a military conflict.    These should all be standards of the immigration process.   

Come here illegally...  Barred for 10 years.    

Once we set these standards then we can discuss the current illegals.   After we round up all criminals and deport them.  

Slow controlled immigration is what need.   A diverse population is important but we can afford to let it come over time.  
(05-16-2016, 07:13 PM)Vlad Wrote:  
Catholics and Jews weren't emigrating here or other countries committing rape, nor were they blowing shit up killing innocents.

Agreed. And that's the point. If you read the propaganda from the time, that's all they were doing. They were painted as a bloody, hateful religion that murdered everyone who got in their way.

Which is pretty much what's being done again. 

Not that there aren't horrible acts committed by members of that religion. But, then again, the same could be said a century ago about Catholics. 

Quote:There would be zero anti-muslim sentiment and Muslim immigration would not be the issue it has become if the evildoing associated with this religion didn't exist. You people continue to put the horse in front of the cart.

You call it propaganda because major news sources don't report it, and governments such as Germany instruct law enforcement to look the other way, both for fear of even more heightened anti-Muslim sentiment.

Here's some more propaganda for you. The German govt. putting up a website instructing migrants how to have sex properly.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/16/sex-manual-for-immigrants-sparks-backlash-in-germany/

I call it propaganda because it is. It's not that it's always wrong, it's that it's biased with an intent. 

(05-16-2016, 08:11 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So we should just ignore the laws because others have that mistake?   Where does righting the wrong come into play here?     Really since the early 1950's immigration policy has taken a serious turn for the worst.    

Literacy tests, quotas, and locking out any region we are involved in a military conflict.    These should all be standards of the immigration process.   

Come here illegally...  Barred for 10 years.    

Once we set these standards then we can discuss the current illegals.   After we round up all criminals and deport them.  

Slow controlled immigration is what need.   A diverse population is important but we can afford to let it come over time.  

Until immigration laws are funded, it's a moot point.