Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Welcome to The Jungle Charlie Jones
At Iowa he was one of the top Punt and Kick-Off Returners in The Big 10. He went to Purdue where he set the season pass catching records.

So Bengals just got someone who starred in not only pass catching but Punt and Kick-Off returns. His ability to be on Special Teams will give him a shot at not only making the team, but competition for other WR's on the team for their Kick Return abilities. That he can play offense and special teams well in college is why coaches would have wanted him in Round 4. After going all Defense, both Offense Coaches and Special Teams Coaches finally get a pick.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Bye bye Boyd. Hope you get a third contract outside the NFC North. It’s just business.
Reply/Quote
Wonder why he transferred. Iowas offense had ZERO receivers and was the worst in football. Why couldn’t he start there?
Reply/Quote
Another solid pick. Bengals are not reaching based on perceived need and just taking the best player. Great draft so far. Loved the bengals fan announcing the pick. Good fun lol
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 03:34 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: Bye bye Boyd.   Hope you get a third contract outside the NFC North.  It’s just business.

I'm not sure this mean bye bye Boyd.   It could mean bye bye for a WR on Bengals for his Punt and Kick Returns, but maybe not that much of a pass catcher.  Who are the names on that list of WR's who are maybe #5 or #6 WR on the team because they play Special Teams, but now here comes this pick to challenge for their jobs. 

Could we use a better Return Man ?  If so, this Charlie Jones may be it.  Also if somebody like Chase or Higgins or Boyd injured, this guy showed at Purdue that he can come in and catch the ball. That would be nice when our top WR's are injured. Bengals use to have Baby Hawk who fans liked, but when called on to be a WR he got no separation and was a poor replacement at WR. If this Charlie Jones can both do Returns and be a good WR, that would be a good player to have.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I think this is the whitest receiving core in the league

Irwin, Taylor, Jones...

I had to say it. You were thinking it too

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 03:48 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I think this is the whitest receiving core in the league

Nonsense, sports is colorblind.  Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Welcome to the Cincinnati Bengals young man. Pleased to have you on the team.

I must admit Jones is not someone I had given much consideration to but after going back and watching some film he seems to be a very productive receiver and a real value where they got him. While his scouting report says he may have trouble separating from coverage he had some catches against some highly touted defensive backs such as Garrett Williams and our very own DJ Turner.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 03:34 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: Bye bye Boyd.   Hope you get a third contract outside the NFC North.  It’s just business.

You all think every draft pick is going to come in and be a top Pro.

AND we're in the afc north.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 04:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You all think every draft pick is going to come in and be a top Pro.

Interesting prospect, but his best chance of dressing on game days is going to be to win the return jobs.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 04:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You all think every draft pick is going to come in and be a top Pro.

Typo.  Thanks.  

And I don’t think he will be a top pro.  I think he will be a viable option for slot snaps next year. 
Reply/Quote
Always liked Charlie Jones anytime I watched him whether it was at Iowa or Purdue. Surest hands in this Draft or right there, is a
good Returner, runs crisp routes, is clutch. Perfect Boyd replacement after this year. Great pick.
Reply/Quote

why are fans so eager and excited to say bye to good players? I dont get it. I love Boyd

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 04:42 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: why are fans so eager and excited to say bye to good players? I dont get it. I love Boyd

I don't think anyone is excited for Boyd to leave. It is just extremely likely, so we have to prepare for it.
Reply/Quote
He torched Joey Porter Jr while at Purdue.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 04:49 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He torched Joey Porter Jr while at Purdue.

May it continue for many years to come lol
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 03:35 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: Wonder why he transferred.   Iowas offense had ZERO receivers and was the worst in football. Why couldn’t he start there?

The offense was so bad and they didn't use him. They said he had 21 catches at Iowa then went to Purdue and had 110 catches. Best business decision of his life so far.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 03:35 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: Wonder why he transferred.   Iowas offense had ZERO receivers and was the worst in football. Why couldn’t he start there?

They don't throw ball enough. He wasn't used right there...
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 05:15 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: The offense was so bad and they didn't use him. They said he had 21 catches at Iowa then went to Purdue and had 110 catches. Best business decision of his life so far.

(04-29-2023, 05:17 PM)Tony Wrote: They don't throw ball enough. He wasn't used right there...

Yeah, much better QB at Purdue as well. Iowa's QB play was terrible....
Reply/Quote

Are you insane? Bye, bye Taylor. 
Reply/Quote