Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Welcome to the Bengals: Andrei Iosivas
(05-10-2023, 02:26 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I want to tell you how much I appreciate all your Reputation points to me. I will send you a link to my blog. It’ll be easier for you.

It was a pretty simple question that I didn’t expect to stump like it did.
Reply/Quote
Yoshi-Vas?

Is that Correct?
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 04:00 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: It was a pretty simple question that I didn’t expect to stump like it did.

Thank you onceuponatimeintheabyss
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 03:14 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Three years ago, this team had the worst roster in the NFL . . .  you guys are overly concerned with replacing Hurst's 414 yards and 2 TDs over 13 games.

2005 TEs
18 catches - 193 yards - TD - 1 start - Matt Schobel
15 catches - 90 yards - TD - 14 starts - Reggie Kelly
4 catches - 26 yards - 3 starts - Tony Stewart

They'll still sign Wilcox. They'll be fine.
It could be the offense that the Bengals are running just isn't stat-friendly to a TE.
Perhaps we bash Sample more than we should.

Here were the YPC from the primary TE each of the years in Taylor's offense:
2019 - 10.1 (Eifert)
2020 - 8.7 (Sample)
2021 - 10.1 (Uzomah)
2022 - 8.0 (Hurst)

In each of those years, the most yards by a TE was 493 by Uzomah in 2021.
Maybe it's unrealistic to expect any TE to get much above 500, at least as long as they keep running so many 3-WR sets.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 04:12 PM)Housh Wrote: Yoshi-Vas?

Is that Correct?

Correct.

The, "vas," should've tipped me off for the name being Romanian, but I dropped the ball big time.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 04:16 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Thank you onceuponatimeintheabyss

Again, who or what do you expect those two to protect? It’s a pretty simple question you should be able to answer.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 07:39 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Again, who or what do you expect those two to protect? It’s a pretty simple question you should be able to answer.

I’m sorry been on the phone with my source the guy who lives at Paycor kinda like Baker Mayfield at FirstEnergy. I’d expect Jones and Iosivas to protect no one. If the OL can protect w/o a TE 10 personnel w/ RB or in a 01 personnel with a TE no RB then we may be more dynamic. Jones I believe adds a playmaker we’ve needed to run more 4 WR. Hope that outlines it for you.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Assuming they both make the active roster, the WR room would be Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Irwin, Jones and Iosivas. Nice injection of speed, another good slot and it also means we can go 4 wide without the #4 not needing to be defended. Also means if one of the top 3 gets dinged again the base offense is still good to run.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2023, 12:40 AM)Joelist Wrote: Assuming they both make the active roster, the WR room would be Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Irwin, Jones and Iosivas. Nice injection of speed, another good slot and it also means we can go 4 wide without the #4 not needing to be defended. Also means if one of the top 3 gets dinged again the base offense is still good to run.

Agreed, but I think they go 7 and keep Stanley Morgan, with Taylor on PS being called up (or Iosivas on PS, being called up when needed).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 07:39 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Again, who or what do you expect those two to protect? It’s a pretty simple question you should be able to answer.

He missed a comma or semi-colon after the wird PROTECT. He wasn't saying THOSE 2 WRs would protect. Well, the sentence was actually saying it, but that's not what he meant. lol.

If they can protect,  ........

"They" ends up meaning the Bengals Oline and then he references the 2 new WRs.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 07:10 PM)pally Wrote:

This guy had steeler written all over him (other than being very intelligent).  They seem to draft late round guys and develop them.  I am so excited that he is a Bengal! 

One thing that is somewhat overlooked is despite his long arms, he put up 225 lbs an impressive 19 times.  Hopefully, he can show on special teams enough to stick in the preseason, because there is no way this guy will stay on our PS.  He would get plucked.  
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 03:25 PM)depthchart Wrote: I am seeing with just a Google Search that Teams took Washington off their Draft Boards due to swelling in his knee at the Combine

According to previous reporting by Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer and NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Washington fell in the draft due to those concerns with his knee. According to Rapoport, Washington had swelling in his knee at the Combine, which led to some teams taking him off of their draft board entirely.

I should have also commented on this part, but I didn't see it since I use the dark theme and the text wasn't visible unless highlighting over it.

I know there were some concerns with his knee, but 1) I wish we would have known this happened at the Combine well before draft night so we could have also set expectations, and 2) if the Steelers were willing to take him the Bengals should have too. Steelers have always done a pretty good job drafting, and the Bengals' medical staff has not always been considered the best decision-makers, so I tend to trust the Steelers over Bengals when it comes to medical evals.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2023, 11:02 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This guy had steeler written all over him (other than being very intelligent).  They seem to draft late round guys and develop them.  I am so excited that he is a Bengal! 

One thing that is somewhat overlooked is despite his long arms, he put up 225 lbs an impressive 19 times.  Hopefully, he can show on special teams enough to stick in the preseason, because there is no way this guy will stay on our PS.  He would get plucked.  
I agree.

And I LOVE his potential.   The whole class continues the Bengals' trend of picking intelligent mentally tough players.   I am so excited to see what Jones and Iosivas bring.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2023, 11:55 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I should have also commented on this part, but I didn't see it since I use the dark theme and the text wasn't visible unless highlighting over it.

I know there were some concerns with his knee, but 1) I wish we would have known this happened at the Combine well before draft night so we could have also set expectations, and 2) if the Steelers were willing to take him the Bengals should have too. Steelers have always done a pretty good job drafting, and the Bengals' medical staff has not always been considered the best decision-makers, so I tend to trust the Steelers over Bengals when it comes to medical evals.

They will have him to use along with having Pat Freiermuth, so it should be interesting to watch Washington's development knowing that

he could have been a Bengal & many Bengal fans wanted him especially as a round 3 option. I was more for Michael Mayer but I preferred 

the Myles Murphy pick over Mayer, so I was happy Day 1. The Steelers likely felt that they were getting late first or early second round talent 

with a 3rd round pick when they took Washington plus trusted their Medical Staff as you say.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2023, 12:40 AM)Joelist Wrote: Assuming they both make the active roster, the WR room would be Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Irwin, Jones and Iosivas. Nice injection of speed, another good slot and it also means we can go 4 wide without the #4 not needing to be defended. Also means if one of the top 3 gets dinged again the base offense is still good to run.

I think your assumption both C. Jones and Iosivas make the roster is correct. But not so sure Irwin makes the 53. He didn't initially last year, either. By the end of last year, the roles were pretty clear. 

Irwin was WR4. He played, by far, the most offensive snaps, 287 to Taylor's 148 to Morgan's 77. But next to none on special teams, 5 to Taylor's 72 to Morgan's 254. He catches everything, but struggles to get separation, and does not contribute on ST. 15 catches for 234 yds, 4 tds.

Taylor was WR5, 2nd most oftensive snaps (148), and our PR. Obstensibly the backup slot, but we often moved Chase there and put Irwin in if Boyd was down.  Did a nice job on PR. Reliable hands, got north/south quickly. 6 rec for 62 yards.

Morgan did not have a catch last year. But he was our most important ST guy on the WR core and our best blocker. He actually olayed the most snaps out if the 3, albeit mist of them on ST. 

The new guys muddy the roles somewhat. 

Jones serms like a like for like replacement for Taylor. He makes the team for sure. Mostly slot guy, punt returner. And I think that is true, to an extent. But he also takes a pieces from Irwin, as I believe the guy who led the nation in catches becomes WR4, not Irwin. But it isn't clean. I mean, if we are choising 4 wides, then Chase/Higgins outside and Boyd/Jones inside is our 4 WR set. But if Chase/Higgins is out, we need another outside guy. Not sure if Jones can do that at this level. Did it some at Purdue, though. Was not slot exclusive. 

Likewise, Iosivas is gonna make the team. No way you buy a lottery ticket like that & throw it away before the numbers get drawn. Not cutting him. But in what role? Ideally, he takes some from both Irwin & Morgan. But he has development to do either. And if he needs time, it is unlikely we keep all 4, though 7 WRs is not impossible. He needs to expand his route tree to really be the 1st outside WR off the bench. So if we keep Irwin there, then Iosivas needs to take Morgan's spot as a special teams ace/blocker. He has the size/speed to do it, but was not a special team's/coverage guy at Princeton, he was WR1. At worst, his deep speed provides us with something our other backups don't have. 

I think which direction we go with the last spot depends on how camp goes. Can Jones play outside? How fast does Iosivas develop, both in terms of the route tree and ST/blocking?  If the route development is slow, the likely Irwin stays. If he struggles on ST/coverage/blocking, then keeping Morgan becomes more likely. Though perhaps we could get ST help from other guys (Battle, Anderson). 

I see a lot of folks assuming Irwin stays and Morgan goes. But I am not so sure. Simmons has a history of getting ST guys to stick, and Morgan made the 53 outright last year, not Irwin.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2023, 11:55 AM)3wt Wrote: I agree.

And I LOVE his potential.   The whole class continues the Bengals' trend of picking intelligent mentally tough players.   I am so excited to see what Jones and Iosivas bring.

Simien has an arm that can show his potential in the preseason, although he will really have to show special teams play to stick on the active roster.  
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2023, 12:31 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I think your assumption both C. Jones and Iosivas make the roster is correct. But not so sure Irwin makes the 53. He didn't initially last year, either. By the end of last year, the roles were pretty clear. 

Irwin was WR4. He played, by far, the most offensive snaps, 287 to Taylor's 148 to Morgan's 77. But next to none on special teams, 5 to Taylor's 72 to Morgan's 254. He catches everything, but struggles to get separation, and does not contribute on ST. 15 catches for 234 yds, 4 tds.

Taylor was WR5, 2nd most oftensive snaps (148), and our PR. Obstensibly the backup slot, but we often moved Chase there and put Irwin in if Boyd was down.  Did a nice job on PR. Reliable hands, got north/south quickly. 6 rec for 62 yards.

Morgan did not have a catch last year. But he was our most important ST guy on the WR core and our best blocker. He actually olayed the most snaps out if the 3, albeit mist of them on ST. 

The new guys muddy the roles somewhat. 

Jones serms like a like for like replacement for Taylor. He makes the team for sure. Mostly slot guy, punt returner. And I think that is true, to an extent. But he also takes a pieces from Irwin, as I believe the guy who led the nation in catches becomes WR4, not Irwin. But it isn't clean. I mean, if we are choising 4 wides, then Chase/Higgins outside and Boyd/Jones inside is our 4 WR set. But if Chase/Higgins is out, we need another outside guy. Not sure if Jones can do that at this level. Did it some at Purdue, though. Was not slot exclusive. 

Likewise, Iosivas is gonna make the team. No way you buy a lottery ticket like that & throw it away before the numbers get drawn. Not cutting him. But in what role? Ideally, he takes some from both Irwin & Morgan. But he has development to do either. And if he needs time, it is unlikely we keep all 4, though 7 WRs is not impossible. He needs to expand his route tree to really be the 1st outside WR off the bench. So if we keep Irwin there, then Iosivas needs to take Morgan's spot as a special teams ace/blocker. He has the size/speed to do it, but was not a special team's/coverage guy at Princeton, he was WR1. At worst, his deep speed provides us with something our other backups don't have. 

I think which direction we go with the last spot depends on how camp goes. Can Jones play outside? How fast does Iosivas develop, both in terms of the route tree and ST/blocking?  If the route development is slow, the likely Irwin stays. If he struggles on ST/coverage/blocking, then keeping Morgan becomes more likely. Though perhaps we could get ST help from other guys (Battle, Anderson). 

I see a lot of folks assuming Irwin stays and Morgan goes. But I am not so sure. Simmons has a history of getting ST guys to stick, and Morgan made the 53 outright last year, not Irwin.

Very possible, Now if they go with 6 WR and not 7 I think this may be the year Simmons does not get his way and they keep Irwin so that everyone in the WR room is potentially productive as a WR. 
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2023, 08:26 PM)Joelist Wrote: Very possible, Now if they go with 6 WR and not 7 I think this may be the year Simmons does not get his way and they keep Irwin so that everyone in the WR room is potentially productive as a WR. 

The idea i got from all the podcasts and Bengals.com interviews Iv seen is that this kid is seen as a project. But a project with enough raw talent to where you really don’t want to put him on the practice squad.

Imo we should keep 6 WRs but the 6th guy should be a Stanley Morgan type of guy you really only play to block. From what Iv seen this kid is built very solid and is very athletic so i think he’ll play a lot and i think after special teams, he’s the guy we should groom for Stanley Morgan’s old role.

Which would make him active on the final 53.

I have a feeling this is going to be a tough off-season cut to 53. You damn near HAVE to cut 1 or 2 of Sample, Gunther and Carter right?
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 03:25 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

So Jordan Battle and Brad Robbins get swapped off the Bengals Roster for Darnell Washington.  I can see Pros and Cons either way.

I am seeing with just a Google Search that Teams took Washington off their Draft Boards due to swelling in his knee at the Combine

According to previous reporting by Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer and NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Washington fell in the draft due to those concerns with his knee. According to Rapoport, Washington had swelling in his knee at the Combine, which led to some teams taking him off of their draft board entirely.

It was either Mike Potts or Duke, but they said they would've taken Battle if they stayed at 92. They had him ranked close to Turner.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Morgan has been here 4 years and has 5 catches for 29 yards. I get it, he is a special teams oriented WR. But we are a pass first team. And we have a target on our back for being the big dogs. I want WR depth that can excel at WR.

It seems like most of the kickoffs have no return. And we just got a punter with mega hang time which means fair catches. We have a blazing fast secondary more than capable of being down field making sure fair catches happen.

I'm appreciative of Morgan's contributions. Somebody like Belichick might claim him to replace 37 year old Matthew Slater. But I think there is a great chance he could be retained on the practice squad if Zac is really still attached to his Nebraska boy.

We invested draft picks to upgrade our WR depth. If Irwin is WR #4 I don't see how you cut either of the two rookies you just drafted to get to 6. We like to use a lot of WRs so keeping 7 isn't too outlandish. I just don't see it for who you would have to cut at another position and the 7th WR we would be keeping.
Reply/Quote