Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Welcome to the Jungle: Myles Murphy
(04-28-2023, 11:38 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: Great teams have great depth is true. Will the Bengals apply that and get another tackle today or tomorrow?

The Bengals do a lousy job evaluating offensive line talent coming out of college

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 10:45 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Hubbard, Hendrickson, and Hanarumo?  Mellow

You are aware that our D line coach is Marion Hobby right?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 04:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think that's the issue. We don't need just an ok guy. We want a guy to get 6-8 sacks.

I don't see that happening regardless who is added unless they (drastically) reduce at least one of these DL's snap count.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
After sleeping on it, and reading on him a bit more, I’m still mixed on the pick.

He’s a 5 star recruit who didn’t come close to meeting his college potential. I know his ceiling is on the level of Myles Garret, but he HAS to WANT to put in the effort and work to get that potential. I really hope our DL coach can coach it out of him and he buys into the locker room. I don’t think he’s a bad pick, but I think he’s got higher bust potential and maybe corner would have been better there.

If this pick hits right away, I think the defense can be top 10even missing the turnover potential. If he busts…It’s going to be rough.
Reply/Quote
Very good athleticism for Murphy:

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 11:31 AM)ochocincos Wrote: True but I thought that's why they added Basham.

Basham was gonna be battling with Gunter to make the team behind Trey, Sam, Ossai, and Sample. That's why his dead cap is zero & he makes less than Evans. 

I'd love for him to stick on the PS, though. 

Hendrickson & Ossai are the pass rush guys. Hubbard & Sample can sime, but excel setting the edge and come inside on passing downs. Murphy is an athletic freak (speed, strength, size) who can do both, and with some refinement, do both.  He has some alignment versatility. He has a good motor. And was a team captain. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 03:35 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: It's been 7 years: I think we're good.

Wrong.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 02:24 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I wonder if you might have them both out there at times. Containing the run is still a significant part of winning games, even in our modern passing era.

Let me put three reasons out there why Myles Murphy can help this team:

Isiah Pacheco
Lamar Jackson
Nick Chubb

For sure. We play Baltimore, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh 6 time a year. Putting Sample in for Trey at DE vs Baltimore helped us a lot. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 04:55 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: After sleeping on it, and reading on him a bit more, I’m still mixed on the pick.

He’s a 5 star recruit who didn’t come close to meeting his college potential. I know his ceiling is on the level of Myles Garret, but he HAS to WANT to put in the effort and work to get that potential. I really hope our DL coach can coach it out of him and he buys into the locker room. I don’t think he’s a bad pick, but I think he’s got higher bust potential and maybe corner would have been better there.

If this pick hits right away, I think the defense can be top 10even missing the turnover potential. If he busts…It’s going to be rough.

His floor is very high. At the worst he is a very good DE that sets the edge and is a monster against the run. His ceiling is all his talent meeting up with expectation and he becomes a monster pass rusher as well.

There was a single corner on the board that was as a consensus ranked above Murphy and that was Joey Porter Jr. who was probably lower than Murphy on the Bengals board because of his scheme fit with the defense of Lou Anarumo. It is about value at the time of the selection. No one knows how any of these guys are going to turn out to be in 5 years. 

When you apply the character and work ethic of Murphy as has been reported by every source I can find to his potential you end up with a very good chance of him being closer to his ceiling than his floor.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 04:55 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: After sleeping on it, and reading on him a bit more, I’m still mixed on the pick.

I think you are misreading the production issues. 

First off, he had good production. It just was not great. Murphy isn't Mazi Smith or DJ Turner or Adebewore with a great workout and little production. He was 2nd in his conference in sacks last year. He just didn't make the leap most expected after 2021. 

He does not have motor issues. He plays hard. He was a team captain. His issues are more due to technique & having a limited pass rush repitoire. We can fix that with coaching. He is only 21. Most of his coaches left Clemson after 2021. Hobby is a former Clemson coach. Recently. We have good intel. If he was lazy, we would not have picked him.  

He is a freak athlete with a good attitude with good production. Top 3 true DE in this class (Wilson, Van Ness). Some had him as #2. Goid vs the run and the pass. Solid floor and high ceiling. 

I thought we'd take Mayer. Truth be told, Porter was the only other real option for BPA. And that option was unappealing to be, because Pittsburgh. And Murphy ALMOST has a better 40 time. 

It isn't a HR pick, more like a double. But it could be a HR later. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 03:33 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: My first chance to react to the Murphy pick. 

The guy is very young, very fast, very strong and very smart. That's a pretty awesome combination and why he was considered to be a top 15 talent by many. The issue is that he has yet to be able to put everything together on a consistent basis. 

When you go watch his game play, you can see why some think he can be great and why some have concerns. When he's on his game, he can look insanely good, focused, composed and able to take over a game...but at other times it looks like they just threw him out there and said go, and what followed was confusion, over pursuing, bad positioning and poor recognition. 

Coaching is going to be a huge factor in his development because there is definitely work to be done, in a few areas of his game...but all the issues are correctable and he has everything a DE needs to be great, which is exciting. 

If Lou and Hobby can get him to perform more consistently, with improved awareness and a couple more pass rush moves...they could end up with a stud D-lineman. Overall, at pick 28, it's a helluva value and if he hits...it will probably be in a big way.

Pretty fair analysis and summary. Looking at his ceiling does inspire a lot of optimism. Lord knows the Bengals need to greatly upgrade their QB pressures and sacks, since they were almost at the bottom of the league in both. And someone who can stop the run as well, given the teams in the NFC north, is also pretty vital.

I think some of the initial surprise at the pick was because Murphy plays a position where he's not going to unseat the two veterans there: Hendrickson and Hubbard.  That he is a quality player and great value pick is without question. But there is a question regarding how much he will improve the team this year versus a selection at a position where a first-round draftee could offer an immediate positional upgrade.

But the top RBs were gone, the draft has a lot quality TEs, and, as some said, Porter's style of play may not fit the Bengals scheme. And maybe he will have an immediate impact on the defense. And if he does hit, as you say, they could end up with a stud D-lineman for the next five years.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 05:23 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I think you are misreading the production issues. 

First off, he had good production. It just was not great. Murphy isn't Mazi Smith or DJ Turner or Adebewore with a great workout and little production. He was 2nd in his conference in sacks last year. He just didn't make the leap most expected after 2021. 

He does not have motor issues. He plays hard. He was a team captain. His issues are more due to technique & having a limited pass rush repitoire. We can fix that with coaching. He is only 21. Most of his coaches left Clemson after 2021. Hobby is a former Clemson coach. Recently. We have good intel. If he was lazy, we would not have picked him.  

He is a freak athlete with a good attitude with good production. Top 3 true DE in this class (Wilson, Van Ness). Some had him as #2. Goid vs the run and the pass. Solid floor and high ceiling. 

I thought we'd take Mayer. Truth be told, Porter was the only other real option for BPA. And that option was unappealing to be, because Pittsburgh. And Murphy ALMOST has a better 40 time. 

It isn't a HR pick, more like a double. But it could be a HR later. 

Nice post Ike. Pretty much spot on with MM. He WAS more productive than Adebewore for sure and has a way higher upside 
and fits our Defense perfectly. Joey Porter Jr I hope is picked by the stealers today right off the bat. 

Press Corner in a Zone Corner League...

Chase, Tee and Boyd will eat this dude alive.
Reply/Quote
Welcome aboard Myles

Looking forward to you being part of the answer for our pass rush issues.
Reply/Quote
Athleticism through the roof, huge motor and high character. Seems like a Zac era pick for sure.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 05:31 PM)Nepa Wrote: Pretty fair analysis and summary. Looking at his ceiling does inspire a lot of optimism. Lord knows the Bengals need to greatly upgrade their QB pressures and sacks, since they were almost at the bottom of the league in both. And someone who can stop the run as well, given the teams in the NFC north, is also pretty vital.

I think some of the initial surprise at the pick was because Murphy plays a position where he's not going to unseat the two veterans there: Hendrickson and Hubbard.  That he is a quality player and great value pick is without question. But there is a question regarding how much he will improve the team this year versus a selection at a position where a first-round draftee could offer an immediate positional upgrade.

But the top RBs were gone, the draft has a lot quality TEs, and, as some said, Porter's style of play may not fit the Bengals scheme. And maybe he will have an immediate impact on the defense. And if he does hit, as you say, they could end up with a stud D-lineman for the next five years.

Bengals fans need to come to grips with the fact that the Bengals are not drafting in the top half of the first anymore and that is a good things. This is a new dynamic and it is a good thing when you are not having to draft players to start immediately.
Reply/Quote
The more I read about Mr. Murphy the better it sounds. Welcome aboard...
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 04:36 PM)pally Wrote: The Bengals do a lousy job evaluating offensive line talent coming out of college

IDK, Volson seems like he did alright. Carman may be getting ready to bust out. Jonah was not terrible, whatever revisionist history is going on. It took Pratt three years. But he did start almost immediately. 

Ooint being, the folks who brought us Cedric O, Fisker, & Billy Price are not running things. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 07:51 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: IDK, Volson seems like he did alright. Carman may be getting ready to bust out. Jonah was not terrible, whatever revisionist history is going on. It took Pratt three years. But he did start almost immediately. 

Ooint being, the folks who brought us Cedric O, Fisker, & Billy Price are not running things. 

lmfaoo like clockwork

bengals are bad with o-line evaluation. thats their 1 scouting weakness. and I knew somebody was gonna bring up Volson as the example to show that the bengals are actually good at o-line. Insane

and Carman is a back up.

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 06:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice post Ike. Pretty much spot on with MM. He WAS more productive than Adebewore for sure and has a way higher upside 
and fits our Defense perfectly. Joey Porter Jr I hope is picked by the stealers today right off the bat. 

Press Corner in a Zone Corner League...

Chase, Tee and Boyd will eat this dude alive.

I should have said, we can *hopefully* fix his technique issues. Given our connections with Clemson, I cannot believe it is an laziness/IQ thing. If he was a lazy dummy, he wouldn't have been a captain, & we'd know about it. 

For Nepa, other than TE and punter, we really do not have an open starting spot. A stud, plug & play RT or CB1 type likely is a starter, but only really 4 of either. And Jonah/Collins are decent vets, and Chido/CTB/Hilton makes it hard for a CB to walk into the starting lineup. 

At least DE a premium position AND one where we rotate guys. Murphy will play some. More than a CB4 or RT depth fore sure. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 07:55 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: lmfaoo like clockwork

bengals are bad with o-line evaluation. thats their 1 scouting weakness. and I knew somebody was gonna bring up Volson as the example to show that the bengals are actually good at o-line. Insane

and Carman is a back up.

There’s no way of defending the Bengals in their OL drafting. In free agency it’s YTBD. But we’ve argued Volson. We aren’t going to change minds and his grade is YTBD. Carman they got bad intel from someone they absolutely trusted. They don’t consult him anymore. Learned who it was today. Carman’s all around work ethic wasn’t there. Now supposedly it is. We’ll see. I think Volson takes a huge leap. You don’t.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote