Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome to the team, Jonah Williams!
(04-26-2019, 12:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: As opposed to signing a player that would have actually contributed for 3 years and upgraded a position. <--- Passing on getting that to retain Hart is the bad news.

We were never going to get that though. We're the Bengals haha.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:43 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Jonah Williams OL Alabama
by Drew Boylhart • January 6, 2019
STRENGTHS
Jonah reminds me a lot of former Left Tackle for the Browns Joe Thomas. He has excellent techniques and is consistent using those techniques on just about every down. He has good quick feet and stays on balance and also is smart and adapts to the athleticism of his opponent quickly after he gets beat but the truth is, at the college level he rarely got beat. Jonah shows the on the field leadership skills, that all excellent Left Tackles needs to have to be successful at the next level. He has a high football IQ and I know that because of the way he uses all the technique’s required, to play his position, with less size and pure athletic talent, than most have who play left tackle at a high productive level. Jonah has all the tools to be an excellent Left Tackle for the team that selects him and that’s why I call him Jonah (The Tool Man) Williams.

CONCERNS
I’d like to see him get a little bit better pad level and leverage when run blocking but I am nitpicking…you don’t select a left tackle because they are good run blockers, you select them because of their pass blocking and Jonah like I said, has all the tools to pass block. There is an issue about size and arm length that some teams use, (who checks boxes) as a way to evaluate players. Those teams will have a problem with Jonah’s size and will downgrade him because he’s not perfect. I don’t check boxes to evaluate players…I just look at the film. I know that’s crazy but, that’s just me.

TALENT BOARD ROUND 1.38
You don’t find many offensive lineman using techniques as consistently as Jonah coming out of college into a draft very often. It’s a shame, but a fact and when you do find one, you’re foolish to pass up on them and not select them even if your have a pro bowl left tackle on your roster right now. With the fact that teams are not using blocking tight ends and full backs to help out with pass blocking both sides of the line need offensive tackles who can play on an island nowadays. Jonah has played both right and left tackle at a high level so suggesting that because he doesn’t check all the physical boxes to be a tackle, makes using the box method, in this case, a bit foolish as far as I’m concerned. So, check away and because Jonah doesn’t fit into your boxes don’t select him, I don’t care…but don’t come to me when he makes the pro bowl for the team that selected him, and your quarterback who he’s not protecting, is on a gurney being taken off the field along with your team’s chance for the playoffs. If you don’t think selecting Jonah early in this draft is smart than the truth is…you’re not a true Draftnik, you’re really just a poser

OK,

This guy has a new fan, love his analysis and to the point style
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Yeah it was a great value pick, no doubt. And at a position of great need.
Reply/Quote
It would be nice for the Bengals to actually win the game I go in to see this year.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I have a lot of positive to say about the Williams pick...but it is definitely valid to question IF instead of signing 2 mediocre players they should have signed 1 high quality guy.

At the risk of asking this question, because you will hi-jack every thread with your 2 month old rant, but I will, who was this quality guy? 
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2019, 10:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: On another note, thank god they didn't pick Dillard..

Love it, great pick, i liked Jawaan Taylor but Jonah is better fundamentally and doesn't hold as much. Perfect player at the perfect position of need. He can play RT or LT too which makes him like another Boling but at Tackle. Honestly this pick makes me feel even better than i already felt about our new coaching staff and Turner to name one of them.

We can get a good Linebacker today for Tem to work with.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 01:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Love it, great pick, i liked Jawaan Taylor but Jonah is better fundamentally and doesn't hold as much. Perfect player at the perfect position of need. He can play RT or LT too which makes him like another Boling but at Tackle. Honestly this pick makes me feel even better than i already felt about our new coaching staff and Turner to name one of them.

We can get a good Linebacker today for Tem to work with.
We will give Tem some work today I hope! We both like Pratt and somehow I hope we get him in RD3
Reply/Quote
I like how the Steelers hopped us for Bush and that's probably not even who we were targeting.

This isn't like when we snatched William Jackson and the Steelers took a clearly inferior guy with the next pick.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I have a lot of positive to say about the Williams pick...but it is definitely valid to question IF instead of signing 2 mediocre players they should have signed 1 high quality guy.

BTW just so know, I am about 90% busting your chops, so don't take it personal.  Wink
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 01:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I like how the Steelers hopped us for Bush and that's probably not even who we were targeting.

This isn't like when we snatched William Jackson and the Steelers took a clearly inferior guy with the next pick.

I think you are right. I don't think Bush was our 1A player to take.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 01:13 PM)sandwedge Wrote: We will give Tem some work today I hope! We both like Pratt and somehow I hope we get him in RD3

No doubt that would be ideal Wedge, i am still running through NFL.com trying to get the entire first round so i know who is available, guess i should know better and just run around here where people update you if you are too damn busy like i have been the last 3 months or so and last night where i couldn't even watch my Christmas day Draft. Great pick grabbing Jonah man!
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 01:17 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I think you are right. I don't think Bush was our 1A player to take.

ZT was a QB coach and he knows a QB needs a solid line to be productive. He’s bolstering the OL this year for his new QB next year. Rolling with Dalton this year was always the plan. ZT is thinking long term not this season.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 01:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I like how the Steelers hopped us for Bush and that's probably not even who we were targeting.

Yeah, i was able to turn on the TV and put it on the draft (it was like pulling teeth) and i saw the Steelers hat on Bush and was like WTF? Dumb move in my opinion as Bush is not the best tackler and is pretty much a pure athlete that can blitz very well. Easy to neutralize with the right TE's and especially RB's who know how to pick up the blitz like how both Gio and Joe know how to do.

Jonah is a way more solid pick in pretty much every way.

(04-26-2019, 01:17 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I think you are right. I don't think Bush was our 1A player to take.

This says some good things about our new coaching staff.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 01:22 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: ZT was a QB coach and he knows a QB needs a solid line to be productive. He’s bolstering the OL this year for his new QB next year. Rolling with Dalton this year was always the plan. ZT is thinking long term not this season.

I said it before, we improve the line and we're going to see a whole different Dalton....
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 01:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I like how the Steelers hopped us for Bush and that's probably not even who we were targeting.

Steelers got the guy they wanted, but they paid a steep price (2nd and 3rd).

If Broncos were set on taking a TE then they killed it with that trade.  The #1 TE was already off the board and they ended up getting the #2 TE at 20 plus two very valuable picks.

But the best part is I don't think it hurt us at all.
Reply/Quote

lap had him as one of the few guys they were targeting. They also have a pre-draft workout, pro day, etc. They def had him on their radar. But getting a future LT is not a consolation prize. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 01:01 PM)sandwedge Wrote: At the risk of asking this question, because you will hi-jack every thread with your 2 month old rant, but I will, who was this quality guy? 

Saffold at Guard instead of Miller and Hart.

There were quality LBs too. We're still in need of a LB.

Williams, Saffold, Price, Boling, and Glenn would be looking pretty solid.

I suspect that no team would have offered hard more than $3 million a year to be a backup, so if we let him sit out there he may have came back cheaper.
Reply/Quote

I wonder about that. I'd like to think the Bengals wanted OT all along, and recognized that Hart wasn't a good starter and needed replaced...but I don't know.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: As opposed to signing a player that would have actually contributed for 3 years and upgraded a position. <--- Passing on getting that to retain Hart is the bad news.

So who was the player and how much would we have paid them? I mean you have it all worked out right? Hart was a contingency plan in case the draft did not fall for them. Having experience on the bench is very nice. Having Hart to come off the bench is not a terrible thing.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 11:00 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You do realize that at any given time we can lose Williams or Glenn to injury, and we have to have backup tackles, right? Bobby Hart is going to make 5 mil a year, which is backup tackle money. And while he's not a great starter, he is a decent backup who Turner thinks he can work with. I wish people would quit griping about things that make sense......

Yeah, well OK, but YOU do realize that they would have done things differently with Hart and when a team does something they wouldn't think of, they'll complain loooooong before they'll ever admit to being wrong or actually learning something about football. If they admit that they just learned something, then they can't act like a know-it-all, which is why most people are here in the first place.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote