Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome to the team, Jonah Williams!
(04-26-2019, 09:27 AM)Okeana Wrote: I think Glenn's skill set is better for RT.  Regardless stuff like this is just getting petty and besides the point with Glenn only having 1 year left on his contract.  Don't be surprised when they go offensive line again in round 2.  

Im just super surprised that people would even consider this a mediocre pick considering how bad the offensive line has been for the last two years.  People are actually trying to convince themselves that the Steelers got the better of us last night by giving up a 2nd round and 3rd round pick to move up.  As much as I liked bush he's not worth Jonah Williams + whoever we get in the 2nd this year.  Some of the best players in this draft are gonna be in the 2nd and 3rd rounds this year.

I personally would like to shake the hand of whomever had the final say in Pittsburgh moving up to take Devin Bush.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 09:17 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Jonah Williams was a top 5 player for me in this draft. I’m so glad people started nitpicking every little thing about him to get him to fall to 11. Dude has been dominant at both OT positions in college and is practically the same size as David Bahktiari, who was named All Pro LT this past year.

Those who are mad about this pick just hate the fact it wasn’t a flashy pick. The reality is this sets up the entire offense (and potential future QB within the next few years) for years to come. Safest and smartest pick the Bengals could have made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No reason to be mad about this pick...although I saw a ton of people on the Bengals IG were that we passed on Haskins.

A QB is basically looking towards a rebuild. And I'd say maybe a 15-20% change Haskins is a Good Pro.

Williams has probably a 60-75% chance of being a Good Pro. Probably 25-30% chance of being a Pro Bowl player.

Those are nice odds.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 09:29 AM)Au165 Wrote: He stonewalled Sweat pretty well in their meeting this season. He is probably more a RT, but I think he can be a damn good one in the league. 

As for Taylor, the concerns about him ballooning up and becoming too large and slow to play outside was a legit concern I had heard from one of my guys.

Well I would disagree with one of your "guys". I would say his dedication to getting his weight under control, keeping it there, and working very hard to become one of the top OT prospects in this draft speak to his dedication to the game.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:15 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Well I would disagree with one of your "guys". I would say his dedication to getting his weight under control, keeping it there, and working very hard to become one of the top OT prospects in this draft speak to his dedication to the game.

They don't know if he will keep it there. Top prospect is arguable at this point he is at best the 5th tackle off the board behind a guy who is considered a project in Howard. I'd say he is a good prospect with some concerns like most.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 09:19 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Many people are cracking me up here. I feel rather safe stating that Glenn will be playing LT unless he is injured. People are acting like he is not a good LT and that just is not accurate at all.

He was good OT. He hasn't been for the past couple of years primarily due to injuries. However, it's not unrealistic to think the injuries are catching up to him and he can no longer be as effective on the left end as he used to. With that said, Glenn is currently one of the top 5 OL on the team, and he has experience at guard, so he doesn't HAVE to play LT.

I think the team should ultimately try this...
Jonah Williams at LT (his most experienced position and he was elite)
Clint Boling at LG (his best position)
Billy Price at C (he should be fully healthy now and if he struggles, Hopkins plugged in here)
Bobby Hart at RG (this was actually where he was projected to play leading up to the draft - http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/bobby-hart?id=2552335) or John Miller
Cordy Glenn at RT (his size and length would make him hard for a LDE to get around plus he has some power to be a road grader)
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 08:48 AM)Au165 Wrote: I'm guessing it will be an outside zone scheme in terms of running that will set up play action similar to what the Rams run. That let's Mixon work in a one cut system while Dalton get the benefit of everything looking similar off PA sucking defenders down. 

I agree Taylor keeps mentioning Kubiak as an influence. I predict alot of 11 personnel with a horizontal blocking scheme and Dalton under center. They will run alot of different stuff out of the same formations and able to slow and speed up the tempo with ease. Since they will be mostly in 11 personnel they will be able to wear out defenses not allowing them to substitute.

It's going to be fun to watch.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
How about Drew Lock if he's there for our pick in 2?

Greedy Williams, CB.
Cody Ford and Jawaan Taylor OT's.
DK Metcalf or AJ Brown at WR.
Irv Smith TE.

We do need a LB, but I hope we don't reach. I'd be pretty happy with any of the above really. Metcalf and Williams would have the most star power of the picks.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:19 AM)ochocincos Wrote: He was good OT. He hasn't been for the past couple of years primarily due to injuries. However, it's not unrealistic to think the injuries are catching up to him and he can no longer be as effective on the left end as he used to. With that said, Glenn is currently one of the top 5 OL on the team, and he has experience at guard, so he doesn't HAVE to play LT.

I think the team should ultimately try this...
Jonah Williams at LT (his most experienced position and he was elite)
Clint Boling at LG (his best position)
Billy Price at C (he should be fully healthy now and if he struggles, Hopkins plugged in here)
Bobby Hart at RG (this was actually where he was projected to play leading up to the draft - http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/bobby-hart?id=2552335) or John Miller
Cordy Glenn at RT (his size and length would make him hard for a LDE to get around plus he has some power to be a road grader)

Glenn has basically been injured for parts of the past 3 years and before that he was Good, but now I'd say he's more Average to Below Average.

I did hear that Williams arm length is questionable for a LT. We saw people talk about Dillard having short arms, but Williams aren't much longer.

I'd rather put Williams in a spot to succeed early which is RT, then move him to LT after a couple seasons if he proves he can excel at RT. LT is a tough position.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2019, 10:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: On another note, thank god they didn't pick Dillard..

I give the pick at A+ for the simple fact that we didn't take Dillard haha.

He very well may be an elite LT in the future, but he was way too similar to Ogbuehi for me and I didn't want to see us go back down that road.

An NFL ready offensive tackle with potential for LT whose only weakness is that his arms are 1/2 inch too short (33 5/8" is short, but 34", as with several OTs in this draft https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/does-arm-length-affect-ot-play ) and he weighs 10 pounds too little...okay haha. I'll take it.

Very boring pick, but a very efficient one, imo. 
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:27 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Glenn has basically been injured for parts of the past 3 years and before that he was Good, but now I'd say he's more Average to Below Average.

I did hear that Williams arm length is questionable for a LT. We saw people talk about Dillard having short arms, but Williams aren't much longer.

I'd rather put Williams in a spot to succeed early which is RT, then move him to LT after a couple seasons if he proves he can excel at RT. LT is a tough position.

I get that, but there is no one better in the draft over Jonah Williams who could come in and succeed at LT from Day 1. His dominance and experience at that position makes him the most NFL-ready. But when I said try him at LT and Glenn at RT, I meant in OTAs and/or at the start of TC. If it doesn't work out after a couple weeks, flip him to RT. Jonah Williams is not some project that's going to need a lot of time to get up to speed to handle blocking in the NFL.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:37 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I get that, but there is no one better in the draft over Jonah Williams who could come in and succeed at LT from Day 1. His dominance and experience at that position makes him the most NFL-ready. But when I said try him at LT and Glenn at RT, I meant in OTAs and/or at the start of TC. If it doesn't work out after a couple weeks, flip him to RT. Jonah Williams is not some project that's going to need a lot of time to get up to speed to handle blocking in the NFL.

I get all that and you make a compelling case. It's just that rookie LT's generally struggle.

I'd rather ease him into the NFL as a RT and get some success under his belt.

I think that pushing him into a LT role could stunt his development.

Remember, people thought Robert Gallery was a can't miss Tackle too. Better to put these guys in positions where they can succeed early and reduce risk of failure.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:34 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I give the pick at A+ for the simple fact that we didn't take Dillard haha.

He very well may be an elite LT in the future, but he was way too similar to Ogbuehi for me and I didn't want to see us go back down that road.

An NFL ready offensive tackle with potential for LT whose only weakness is that his arms are 1/2 inch too short (33 5/8" is short, but 34", as with several OTs in this draft https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/does-arm-length-affect-ot-play ) and he weighs 10 pounds too little...okay haha. I'll take it.

Very boring pick, but a very efficient one, imo. 

Maybe a boring pick, but one that will enable much excitement to take place on the field.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:42 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I get all that and you make a compelling case. It's just that rookie LT's generally struggle.

Remember, people thought Robert Gallery was a can't miss Tackle too. Better to put these guys in positions where they can succeed early and reduce risk of failure.

And that's the great thing about Jonah. There should be no problem easing him into the NFL by putting him on the right side if they want. The Falcons did this with Jake Matthews for the first couple years of his career and now Matthews is the #10 OT in the NFL according to PFF with a 79.2. 
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:48 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Maybe a boring pick, but one that will enable much excitement to take place on the field.

Agreed.

I just wish that the money we used on Hart would have been spent elsewhere to upgrade a position.

Like for what we paid for Hart and Miller, we could have signed Saffold and had an elite Guard.

Williams, Saffold, Price, Boling, Glenn sounds like a pretty good offensive line.

Saffold > Hart + Miller
Reply/Quote
The Cardinals took a Hobbit with the #1OA and people are worried about 1/2 an inch of arm length on our OT? Lol

Reply/Quote
Love this pick. Williams will be a starter on the OL for the next 12+ years and is no drama. Might have a limited ceiling, but his floor is an above-average starting OL. Bengals cant afford to be wrong on the OL after the 2015 draft clown-show, and Williams is a safe, solid pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:19 AM)Au165 Wrote: They don't know if he will keep it there. Top prospect is arguable at this point he is at best the 5th tackle off the board behind a guy who is considered a project in Howard. I'd say he is a good prospect with some concerns like most.

Did one of your "guys" tell you this?
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:52 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed.

I just wish that the money we used on Hart would have been spent elsewhere to upgrade a position.

Like for what we paid for Hart and Miller, we could have signed Saffold and had an elite Guard.

Williams, Saffold, Price, Boling, Glenn sounds like a pretty good offensive line.

Saffold > Hart + Miller

You do realize that at any given time we can lose Williams or Glenn to injury, and we have to have backup tackles, right? Bobby Hart is going to make 5 mil a year, which is backup tackle money. And while he's not a great starter, he is a decent backup who Turner thinks he can work with. I wish people would quit griping about things that make sense......
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:42 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I get all that and you make a compelling case. It's just that rookie LT's generally struggle.

Any rookie can struggle, but a lot of rookies struggle because of the gap in competition from college to pro. Others like Williams have been challenged from day one on college playing in the SEC who produces NFL DL at record numbers.

I think Williams can and will start day one if healthy, it may be RT which is fine, but based on Taylor comments, I think he may also try him at LT and move Glenn to RT. Will he make mistakes? Of course, every rookie makes mistakes. But so do vets.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 11:00 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Any rookie can struggle, but a lot of rookies struggle because of the gap in competition from college to pro. Others like Williams have been challenged from day one on college playing in the SEC who produces NFL DL at record numbers.

I think Williams can and will start day one if healthy, it may be RT which is fine, but based on Taylor comments, I think he may also try him at LT and move Glenn to RT. Will he make mistakes? Of course, every rookie makes mistakes. But so do vets.

Pretty much Taylor said Williams will be LT, RT or Guard..... whatever it takes to get the best 5 on the field. How nice is it to have a guy that versatile in year 1....
Reply/Quote