Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome to the team, Jonah Williams!
(04-26-2019, 11:00 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Did one of your "guys" tell you this?

Yep. In terms of the weight it is a common concern.
Reply/Quote
To anyone questioning Jonah Williams...….

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/david-bakhtiari?id=2540183

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/david-bakhtiari/7891
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2019, 11:54 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: They could get Cody Ford (OT/G) in the second round if he is still there.  
 I would LOVE it if we could get Ford in the 2nd.

Lap says "He's a guard" and others say he's a tackle - period.   The lack of flexibility position wise might actually allow him to drop to 42.

Everyone says that his football IQ is top notch, and he's a powerful run blocker.   So whether he's a tackle or a guard he'd be an awesome asset to this OL.   We needed to both solidify our edges and our interior.  The latter might factor more in maximizing Dalton's abilities.

Lots of ways to go in the 2nd.  But this one would truly excite me.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 11:15 AM)3wt Wrote:  I would LOVE it if we could get Ford in the 2nd.

Lap says "He's a guard" and others say he's a tackle - period.   The lack of flexibility position wise might actually allow him to drop to 42.

Everyone says that his football IQ is top notch, and he's a powerful run blocker.   So whether he's a tackle or a guard he'd be an awesome asset to this OL.   We needed to both solidify our edges and our interior.  The latter might factor more in maximizing Dalton's abilities.

Lots of ways to go in the 2nd.  But this one would truly excite me.

He offers position flexibility. He can play both OT and OG. He played OT for one of the most prolific offenses in college football. There were people stating that Williams should be a guard.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 11:00 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Any rookie can struggle, but a lot of rookies struggle because of the gap in competition from college to pro. Others like Williams have been challenged from day one on college playing in the SEC who produces NFL DL at record numbers.

I think Williams can and will start day one if healthy, it may be RT which is fine, but based on Taylor comments, I think he may also try him at LT and move Glenn to RT. Will he make mistakes? Of course, every rookie makes mistakes. But so do vets.

Not only did he play against elite competition in games, he practiced against it EVERY DAY.  This pick, to me, was a slam dunk, no brainer.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
We got an amazingly utterly meaningless A grade and I only say meaningless because Cleveland who had ZERO picks also got an A grade in the first round...right behind us..  Oh yeah, doing absolutely nothing always earns good grades.. It's like saying you passed smoking in the boys room with straight A's.. And by the way, I passed smoking in the boys room myself.. I earned a letter...to my parents for it..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 11:57 AM)Wyche Wrote: Not only did he play against elite competition in games, he practiced against it EVERY DAY.  This pick, to me, was a slam dunk, no brainer.

As usual my friend, you are right! (I'll tell your wife that too) This also gives us some depth at OT. If Glenn gets injured again, we have a replacement for other than Boling. I see Williams at RT and if Glenn needs time off, then we slide Williams to LT and bring Hart in to RT.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:01 PM)grampahol Wrote: We got an amazingly utterly meaningless A grade and I only say meaningless because Cleveland who had ZERO picks also got an A grade in the first round...right behind us..  Oh yeah, doing absolutely nothing always earns good grades.. It's like saying you passed smoking in the boys room with straight A's..

Technically Cleveland used that pick on Odell Beckham
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:02 PM)fozzie11 Wrote: Technically Cleveland used that pick on Odell Beckham

Don't crap all over my lousy jokes!  Attitude
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:02 PM)sandwedge Wrote: As usual my friend, you are right! (I'll tell your wife that too) This also gives us some depth at OT. If Glenn gets injured again, we have a replacement for other than Boling. I see Williams at RT and if Glenn needs time off, then we slide Williams to LT and bring Hart in to RT.

Yep.....the Bobby Hart signing isn't looking so bad right now.  Just be sure and leave a little change on the night stand, every little bit helps. :andy:

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:10 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yep.....the Bobby Hart signing isn't looking so bad right now.  Just be sure and leave a little change on the night stand, every little bit helps. :andy:

Hilarious  
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:10 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yep.....the Bobby Hart signing isn't looking so bad right now.  Just be sure and leave a little change on the night stand, every little bit helps. :andy:

I actually think it looks worse as we could have used that money on another position.

We totally whiffed in free agency. With $50+ million of cap space, the only clear upgrade we got was a slight one in Miller at Guard.

I'd rather have not signed Hart and Miller and added a Saffold or one of the LB's.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I actually think it looks worse as we could have used that money on another position.

We totally whiffed in free agency. With $50+ million of cap space, the only clear upgrade we got was a slight one in Miller at Guard.

I'd rather have not signed Hart and Miller and added a Saffold or one of the LB's.

Violin  I thought the whining died a couple of weeks ago....
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:31 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Violin  I thought the whining died a couple of weeks ago....

I have a lot of positive to say about the Williams pick...but it is definitely valid to question IF instead of signing 2 mediocre players they should have signed 1 high quality guy.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I have a lot of positive to say about the Williams pick...but it is definitely valid to question IF instead of signing 2 mediocre players they should have signed 1 high quality guy.

Mediocre is being generous wrt Hart. He’s downright awful.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I actually think it looks worse as we could have used that money on another position.

We're gonna differ on that opinion, and that's fine of course.  I totally agree about Saffold, but there was a problem.  We had no tackles on our roster outside of Cordy Glenn.  I saw, and still see, the Hart signing as insurance.  If the draft had not fallen our way (and even if it did, there's no guarantees on any draft pick), we would be in even bigger trouble than starting Hart at RT.  After we see the details of the deal, Hart is not making the money that was originally thought, and there is a very team friendly, easy out.

The way it has played out thus far, we got a G, had a starter at T....no matter how bad, he still isn't Og/Fish bad....and we just drafted a potential stud a T, and Hart becomes a young and experienced swing tackle for the market value of a backup tackle. :andy:

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Mediocre is being generous wrt Hart. He’s downright awful.

Ha...I almost put that in parenthesis.

I just feel like the money was better spent elsewhere. Adding Williams slams that point home.

Others see it as a Thank Goodness Hart isn't starting. I see it as a Man we wasted money signing Hart.
Reply/Quote
The good news is that if Bobby Hart is cut after the 2019 season, he's only worth 2 million in dead money. So he basically signed a 1 year contract with an option. And then if we cut him after the 2020 season, it'd only be 1 million in dead money. So he basically signed three consecutive 1 year contracts.

The total was bad, but he's a fine price after 2019.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/bobby-hart-16952/

I think they signed Hart because they didn't want to be FORCED to take a tackle in the first round. What if Taylor and Williams both went in the top 10? Do you really feel good about being forced to take Dillard and being forced to start him from day 1 even though he is not ready to do so? They paid a premium for the draft flexibility and insurance policy that Hart provides. I don't mind it. Especially since the idea of us going out and getting a legitimate free agent is always a laughable one to me. The Bengals don't really do that.
Reply/Quote
Jonah Williams OL Alabama
by Drew Boylhart • January 6, 2019
STRENGTHS
Jonah reminds me a lot of former Left Tackle for the Browns Joe Thomas. He has excellent techniques and is consistent using those techniques on just about every down. He has good quick feet and stays on balance and also is smart and adapts to the athleticism of his opponent quickly after he gets beat but the truth is, at the college level he rarely got beat. Jonah shows the on the field leadership skills, that all excellent Left Tackles needs to have to be successful at the next level. He has a high football IQ and I know that because of the way he uses all the technique’s required, to play his position, with less size and pure athletic talent, than most have who play left tackle at a high productive level. Jonah has all the tools to be an excellent Left Tackle for the team that selects him and that’s why I call him Jonah (The Tool Man) Williams.

CONCERNS
I’d like to see him get a little bit better pad level and leverage when run blocking but I am nitpicking…you don’t select a left tackle because they are good run blockers, you select them because of their pass blocking and Jonah like I said, has all the tools to pass block. There is an issue about size and arm length that some teams use, (who checks boxes) as a way to evaluate players. Those teams will have a problem with Jonah’s size and will downgrade him because he’s not perfect. I don’t check boxes to evaluate players…I just look at the film. I know that’s crazy but, that’s just me.

TALENT BOARD ROUND 1.38
You don’t find many offensive lineman using techniques as consistently as Jonah coming out of college into a draft very often. It’s a shame, but a fact and when you do find one, you’re foolish to pass up on them and not select them even if your have a pro bowl left tackle on your roster right now. With the fact that teams are not using blocking tight ends and full backs to help out with pass blocking both sides of the line need offensive tackles who can play on an island nowadays. Jonah has played both right and left tackle at a high level so suggesting that because he doesn’t check all the physical boxes to be a tackle, makes using the box method, in this case, a bit foolish as far as I’m concerned. So, check away and because Jonah doesn’t fit into your boxes don’t select him, I don’t care…but don’t come to me when he makes the pro bowl for the team that selected him, and your quarterback who he’s not protecting, is on a gurney being taken off the field along with your team’s chance for the playoffs. If you don’t think selecting Jonah early in this draft is smart than the truth is…you’re not a true Draftnik, you’re really just a poser
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:41 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The good news is that if Bobby Hart is cut after the 2019 season, he's only worth 2 million in dead money. So he basically signed a 1 year contract with an option. And then if we cut him after the 2020 season, it'd only be 1 million in dead money. So he basically signed three consecutive 1 year contracts.

The total was bad, but he's a fine price after 2019.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/bobby-hart-16952/

As opposed to signing a player that would have actually contributed for 3 years and upgraded a position. <--- Passing on getting that to retain Hart is the bad news.
Reply/Quote