Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome to the team, Jonah Williams!
they replayed the LSU and Alabama game last night after the 1st rd draft was over. I got to see plenty of Williams man handling his opponents who ever they were with ease! I am excited for the Offense at this point. I would also like to get another O lineman and a couple of linebackers and a couple of safeties next! Good Luck Williams! GREAT PICK!

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 01:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I like how the Steelers hopped us for Bush and that's probably not even who we were targeting.

This isn't like when we snatched William Jackson and the Steelers took a clearly inferior guy with the next pick.

Haha i was thinking the same thing! We finally out smarted the steelers!!..

Plus, i dont think that guy was even worth a top 10 pick... looking forward to watching mixon truck him this year..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 02:48 PM)OSUfan Wrote: So who was the player and how much would we have paid them? I mean you have it all worked out right? Hart was a contingency plan in case the draft did not fall for them. Having experience on the bench is very nice. Having Hart to come off the bench is not a terrible thing.

Hart is the absolute worst starting Tackle in the NFL. Anytime he plays, you have the worst player out there. Even as a backup, if your starter goes down, you are putting a bad starter out there. Why not spend that money on an upgrade at another position?

Saffold or a LB would be who I would have spent the money on.

I would have then drafted 2 OT's and signed Andre Smith or Hart for like $2-3 million or less a year.

The way the draft is going, we might have been able to end up with Williams and Taylor or Ford.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 02:52 PM)RASCAL Wrote: they replayed the LSU and Alabama game last night after the 1st rd draft was over. I got to see plenty of Williams man handling his opponents who ever they were with ease! I am excited for the Offense at this point. I would also like to get another O lineman and a couple of linebackers and a couple of safeties next! Good Luck Williams! GREAT PICK!

Thats right RASCAL, you know you have a quality pick when he is dominating against elite competition.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 02:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hart is the absolute worst starting Tackle in the NFL. Anytime he plays, you have the worst player out there. Even as a backup, if your starter goes down, you are putting a bad starter out there. Why not spend that money on an upgrade at another position?

I would have then drafted 2 OT's and signed Andre Smith or Hart for like $2-3 million or less a year.

The way the draft is going, we might have been able to end up with Williams and Taylor or Ford.

It's easy to play pretend and say "oh yeah, I would've done this, this, this, and this", but there's no indication that any of these suggestions were even plausible. Maybe none of the FA linebackers were the slightest bit interested in joining such a bad unit. Maybe Saffold had no desire to come to Cincinnati. Maybe there actually WAS a market for Bobby Hart despite how hard people want to yell and scream that there wasn't.

We.
Don't.
Know.

And the worst thing you can do going into a draft is pigeonhole yourself in to taking one position, which is exactly what would've been the case had the Bengals not re-signed Hart. Bringing him back meant we could genuinely take a look at taking other positions instead of saying "OMG we must take an OT no matter what". The result of this is that a) we convinced the Steelers we were leaning LB strongly enough that they paid to move ahead of us and b) no other team who wanted Jonah Williams had any chance at jumping over us to get him because they all thought we'd take Bush and by the time the Steelers did it was too late.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 03:02 PM)NKURyan Wrote: It's easy to play pretend and say "oh yeah, I would've done this, this, this, and this", but there's no indication that any of these suggestions were even plausible. Maybe none of the FA linebackers were the slightest bit interested in joining such a bad unit. Maybe Saffold had no desire to come to Cincinnati. Maybe there actually WAS a market for Bobby Hart despite how hard people want to yell and scream that there wasn't.

We.
Don't.
Know.

And the worst thing you can do going into a draft is pigeonhole yourself in to taking one position, which is exactly what would've been the case had the Bengals not re-signed Hart. Bringing him back meant we could genuinely take a look at taking other positions instead of saying "OMG we must take an OT no matter what". The result of this is that a) we convinced the Steelers we were leaning LB strongly enough that they paid to move ahead of us and b) no other team who wanted Jonah Williams had any chance at jumping over us to get him because they all thought we'd take Bush and by the time the Steelers did it was too late.

To be fair, I did suggest this at the time too. (Drafting an OT and not signing Hart.)

It's a fair point about pigeon-holing ourself in the draft to need an OT. We did need a LB bad and the Steelers traded in front of us fearing we'd take Bush.

I just still see no positives for the Hart signing. He's the worst starting OT...and even if he makes the minimum on his contract it's bad still. As a backup, I never want to see him play.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 02:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hart is the absolute worst starting Tackle in the NFL. Anytime he plays, you have the worst player out there. Even as a backup, if your starter goes down, you are putting a bad starter out there. Why not spend that money on an upgrade at another position?

Nah, that has to go to the cat in Houston that just got benched by Tytus Howard. Shocked

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 03:51 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Nah, that has to go to the cat in Houston that just got benched by Tytus Howard. Shocked

Hart isn't starting now either so Piston's point is moot.
Reply/Quote
I give this pick a two thumbs up. I think he will be the best first round pick since AJ. Not knocking on Price, because I think he will have a very solid sophomore rebound, but Williams is just different than any first round pick since AJ imo. Eifert was the second best talent since AJ by a mile, but his injuries took a toll.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
When first trying to view this thread title on my iPad, I thought it read, Welcome to the tears!! Lol. As Bengal fans we all understand how that title could be relevant. Just proof that I may be needing some reading glasses. Sad
Reply/Quote

I know you hate Hart, you have stated over and over in many threads. I don't think he is the worst OT in the NFL or close to being the worst. Is he good? No, he has lots of work to improve.

I leave you with this thought. Every time our DL gets a hurry or sack, we pump our chests and say how great that play and player is versus looking at the OL they beat and trashing them. It is human nature, we all do it. My point is it is hard to be objective at times.

Was I happy Hart was given a contract, not really, but it is a team friendly deal they can get out of and that deal was done with new regime so do we trust Zac and staff or do we not. Players do improve, they must see something they like, the new regime.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Something to consider. Hart's scouting reports all say he is far better in a power run scheme and also that he projects as a Guard more than a tackle. Maybe the plan is to switch to more of a power run scheme and to insert Hart at RG? Just saying...
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 04:34 PM)Joelist Wrote: Something to consider. Hart's scouting reports all say he is far better in a power run scheme and also that he projects as a Guard more than a tackle. Maybe the plan is to switch to more of a power run scheme and to insert Hart at RG? Just saying...

They signed Miller as a free agent to play Guard.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 04:34 PM)Joelist Wrote: Something to consider. Hart's scouting reports all say he is far better in a power run scheme and also that he projects as a Guard more than a tackle. Maybe the plan is to switch to more of a power run scheme and to insert Hart at RG? Just saying...

That is a thought, Hart has a lot of passion lol
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 03:02 PM)NKURyan Wrote: It's easy to play pretend and say "oh yeah, I would've done this, this, this, and this", but there's no indication that any of these suggestions were even plausible. Maybe none of the FA linebackers were the slightest bit interested in joining such a bad unit. Maybe Saffold had no desire to come to Cincinnati. Maybe there actually WAS a market for Bobby Hart despite how hard people want to yell and scream that there wasn't.

We.
Don't.
Know.

Good show, ol"boy! A few posters think they know more of what is going on, instead of who's actually inside the building and want a pat on the back....
Reply/Quote

its possible hes young so they can work with him...

and with boilings contract up I think after this season... be interesting how things pan out
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 05:32 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Good show, ol"boy! A few posters think they know more of what is going on, instead of who's actually inside the building and want a pat on the back....

Yeah that was a great post by Ryan right there...

We were unpredictable in the Draft process for once under Zac Taylor.

Everyone thought we were targeting Bush, especially the Stoolers evidently and they paid big time for a Linebacker that has trouble wrapping up when tackling and dresses like another diva. All the while we pick up arguably the best Lineman in the Draft who is a standup individual that protects our QB and opens up running lanes for the reigning AFC running Champ. Dalton and Mixon sure loved this pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 02:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Steelers got the guy they wanted, but they paid a steep price (2nd and 3rd).

If Broncos were set on taking a TE then they killed it with that trade.  The #1 TE was already off the board and they ended up getting the #2 TE at 20 plus two very valuable picks.

But the best part is I don't think it hurt us at all.

You stole my point.  Smirk

That's the best part of it. I'd take the best o-lineman in the draft over the 3rd best LB (based on where they were drafted). So imo, the Steelers did us a favor. In the process, they paid a hefty price.

(04-26-2019, 02:38 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: lap had him as one of the few guys they were targeting. They also have a pre-draft workout, pro day, etc. They def had him on their radar. But getting a future LT is not a consolation prize. 

True, but Lap also said if Williams were available, they'd sprint to the podium...and they kinda did. 

(04-26-2019, 02:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wonder about that. I'd like to think the Bengals wanted OT all along, and recognized that Hart wasn't a good starter and needed replaced...but I don't know.

I base that on some things that have been said (that Williams was very high on our board, etc) and how quickly we made that selection. Either way, I'd rather have the best Tackle than any LB. The only bad thing I can say is that IF Jawaan Taylor is available with out next pick, a Devin Bush/Jawaan Taylor combo to start the draft would've been amazing.

There are still good LB's available too though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 05:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah that was a great post by Ryan right there...

We were unpredictable in the Draft process for once under Zac Taylor.

Everyone thought we were targeting Bush, especially the Stoolers evidently and they paid big time for a Linebacker that has trouble wrapping up when tackling and dresses like another diva. All the while we pick up arguably the best Lineman in the Draft who is a standup individual that protects our QB and opens up running lanes for the reigning AFC running Champ. Dalton and Mixon sure loved this pick.

I think we were flexible too and luckily didn't go Haskins and decided to try to fix the line.

The line is hugely important.

Pretty excited to see where we go with the 2nd Round. I wish it started right now! Still probably 3 hours until we pick!

I really enjoy the draft. May be my favorite part of the NFL Season.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 05:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think we were flexible too and luckily didn't go Haskins and decided to try to fix the line.

The line is hugely important.

Pretty excited to see where we go with the 2nd Round. I wish it started right now! Still probably 3 hours until we pick!

I really enjoy the draft. May be my favorite part of the NFL Season.

For sure, easily one of the greatest weekends of the year brother!
Reply/Quote