Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well My Countdown until Football Season Start Thread
(05-31-2017, 05:26 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: This summer's going to be HUGE!

Hopefully, I'll have my stem cell treatment in the next month or two and be back to walking and talking normally!

Making a trip up to Toronto in a few weeks.  

And then football season is right around the corner!

Sure hope it helps.....
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2017, 01:34 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Lol, my new job doesn't require randoms anymore. Don't tease the Dog!

I'm 6-7 months from retirement & no more random worries then. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2017, 06:07 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Wtf? Life sucks. God, football, beer and pu$$y is the only thing that makes it worth living. Lol! Wish the season started tonight. That reminds me, my wife needs a spankin. BRB!

Wait till you get old. You'll scratch about 3/4 of that list off when the biggest thrill of your day is getting good tv reception and being able to go to the can successfully. 
I'm not saying I'm there yet, but I'm closer to it than last year. Everyone else is to..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2017, 10:39 AM)grampahol Wrote: Wait till you get old. You'll scratch about 3/4 of that list off when the biggest thrill of your day is getting good tv reception and being able to go to the can successfully. 
I'm not saying I'm there yet, but I'm closer to it than last year. Everyone else is to..

lol
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2017, 10:22 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: I honestly miss going to Georgetown to watch them practice..  nice ride into the country side.  If you get a pretty day!!  it is awesome!!

With you on missing Georgetown.   My son and I made the trek for years.   Loved the drive there and back and loved the atmosphere in Georgetown.

Paul Brown always felt the separation was important to the team gelling.  

Before Georgetown I went to Wilmington.   I have always loved camp.  

I truly miss it.
Reply/Quote
I can't believe that no one posted THIS!

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2017, 05:26 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: This summer's going to be HUGE!

Hopefully, I'll have my stem cell treatment in the next month or two and be back to walking and talking normally!

Making a trip up to Toronto in a few weeks.  

And then football season is right around the corner!

Praying that your treatments work for you, my friend!
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2017, 08:15 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I wish were the team every year.  I miss everyone on here dissecting every second of every episode.  Their two seasons were the best. 

And, seeing Mike's legs while he sits in that golf cart   Pervert

I know the Bengals would never allow the local media that kind of access, but it would sure be neat if there was a local news team that did their own version of hard knocks, with a weekly hour-long special of Bengal's news, interviews, stories, and try to make it a poor man's hard knocks.  
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2017, 10:59 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: 99 days? Damn, that's eternity! Well, at least it's only 72 days till preseason. That's just a hair over 2 months. There's your silver lining. However, Preseason games scare the shit out of me.

With you 100% about preseason games.  I want something like one drive for the starting offense and defense, and then hit the showers.  I love watching guys like my guy Fej get some real opportunitites.  Watching Driskell this season should be entertaining.  

This is going to sound terrible, but if you are a degenerate gambler, the Bengals can be a great preseason bet because of their depth and backup QB play.  Most lines are always -3 for the home team.

I am not a "big player", but I start every season with $300.  If I lose it, I don't refill it.  Most the time, I come out a little ahead.  I do better in NFL than college, and most of my buddies are polar opposites.  I usually don't wager over $25 a game.  
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2017, 10:39 AM)grampahol Wrote: Wait till you get old. You'll scratch about 3/4 of that list off when the biggest thrill of your day is getting good tv reception and being able to go to the can successfully. 

On that optimistic note, how old are you Gramps?  

My old man is 84 and we spent a night in Nashville this weekend listening to great music, drinking, and making fun of pitt pen fans (Ok, that was just me).  

I am reminded by the line from Marc Harmon's character in the movie "Summer School".  One of his students says that he is at his sexual peak at 17 years old and it is all downhill after that....Harmon's eyes glaze over and he says:  "yeah, but it is a lovely ride".

Enjoy the ride!
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2017, 07:39 PM)3wt Wrote: With you on missing Georgetown.   My son and I made the trek for years.   Loved the drive there and back and loved the atmosphere in Georgetown.

I truly miss it.

When they were at Wilmington, I would go 10 times a season.  It was only about 35 minutes from home, and you had great access to players.  Even Sam Wyche would hold court sometimes with a group of fans after practice.  It was a great drive, and I would put the top down, pack a cooler, pick up my girl friend and we were off for some cheap entertainment.  Man, those were good times.  
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2017, 07:39 PM)3wt Wrote: With you on missing Georgetown.   My son and I made the trek for years.   Loved the drive there and back and loved the atmosphere in Georgetown.

I truly miss it.

The drive made it feel like a little vacation, different scenery very nice.  I bet the parking and the community miss it...  
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2017, 09:02 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: When they were at Wilmington, I would go 10 times a season.  It was only about 35 minutes from home, and you had great access to players.  Even Sam Wyche would hold court sometimes with a group of fans after practice.  It was a great drive, and I would put the top down, pack a cooler, pick up my girl friend and we were off for some cheap entertainment.  Man, those were good times.  
Yeah, Wilmington was old school training camp.  The stories of the non-air-conditioned rooms were legendary and the fields were, well, fields not turf.   

Sam  was such a customer service head coach.   He loved showing off his players and his poindexter  genius schemes.  His practices were not as scripted and concise as Marvins, but they were full of hitting, and the coaches were very vocal.   It was fascinating for me.   I loved Georgetown too, but Wilmington was mystical.  Sort of a combination of NFL films, Field of Dreams and Cool Hand Luke.

Just not the same as the slick version of camp now.  Not that I don't like what we do.  It just has lost the mystique.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2017, 09:15 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: The drive made it feel like a little vacation, different scenery very nice.  I bet the parking and the community miss it...  

It certainly was a holiday for my son and me.   We'd pack something like wings or BBQ for the way down and go for the annual scrimmage.   He'd get a massive amount of autographs and I'd just hang out and watch him go from player to player.

I remember one year at Georgetown our 3rd round pick, a TE named Sean Brewer, made a devastating hit on special teams.   I praised him for the hit.  He took a long draw on a cigarette and said, "Thanks man".

He never amounted to anything.   But I got a kick out of the irony of making a great play and sucking on a cigarette. 

It was very personal back then though.  Even talked to Cory Dillon one time.  He was not enormously interested in the conversation, but I enjoyed it none the less.

Memories...
Reply/Quote
[Image: 600px-US_91.svg.png]
Reply/Quote
[Image: 83-c2a9-christopher-martin-2653.jpg]
Reply/Quote
[Image: Union_76_Gas_Station.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Only 33 days till camp opens. In the meantime there's always the reds pitching setting new records for innings not pitched. It took 2 years waiting for Homer to make his 2017 debut and boy! Wasn't that a thrill? 2 innings, 8 runs and.... Oh skip it.. It's still a long long 33 days to go..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Camp generally opens on my birthday (July 29) or the day before. My favorite present every year hands down.

Also super excited this year because I'm taking my son for the first time. He's 4 and ready to be initiated into the cult of perpetual misery. He sort of knows what's up on fall Sundays, but not quite. He also knows what PBS is when we drive past it on 75. It's time to get serious. Gonna be awesome.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2017, 12:07 AM)grampahol Wrote: Only 33 days till camp opens. In the meantime there's always the reds pitching setting new records for innings not pitched. It took 2 years waiting for Homer to make his 2017 debut and boy! Wasn't that a thrill? 2 innings, 8 runs and.... Oh skip it.. It's still a long long 33 days to go..

The Reds always seem to find a way to start off strong give hope and then bow out so carelessly.  I just don't get it.  
Reply/Quote