Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, Schefter was wrong before, sure hope he is again!
(12-24-2018, 03:18 PM)McC Wrote: Is this their bone headed way of trying to leave town?  Because they have defied all logic in such a way that a reasonable mind can't help thinking something else has to be going on.   When no part of what you see makes sense, you have to wonder what the unseen thing is.

I think that Mike believes that he is just one Healthy season away from Vindicating himself and Marvin.

They likely see the 2015 team and the Palmer/Henry injury team as Super Bowl seasons derailed by QB injuries.

I think that they think they have a Blue Print that could win (if healthy).

Mike may be hanging onto Marvin to try to Prove to Fans that they can do it after all & would have already done it save QB injuries hurting their Best teams.
Reply/Quote
Marv better watch out.  He gonna get an extra loogie in his Tuna sangwich.

[Image: giphy.gif][Image: th?id=OIP.7zBWOcSokP4ZxZvndE__DwHaE7&pid...=233&h=156]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2018, 03:30 PM)depthchart Wrote: I think that Mike believes that he is just one Healthy season away from Vindicating himself and Marvin.

They likely see the 2015 team and the Palmer/Henry injury team as Super Bowl seasons derailed by QB injuries.

Mike may be hanging onto Marvin to try to Prove to Fans that they can do it after all & would have already done it save QB injuries hurting their Best teams.

They can't possibly think that.  No one with enough brain to walk upright and speak without drooling could really think that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2018, 03:18 PM)McC Wrote: Is this their bone headed way of trying to leave town?  Because they have defied all logic in such a way that a reasonable mind can't help thinking something else has to be going on.   When no part of what you see makes sense, you have to wonder what the unseen thing is.

Agree, this has gone far beyond apathy and incompetence and into the realm of mental disorder with Mike Brown....seriously. Unfortunately the NFL Welfare system keeps Mike Brown’s philosophy alive and well. He never has to deal with consequences of running a horrible franchise..The checks come regardless if he wins or loses. And thus, here we are.....I would almost prefer the team leave town...it would make it easier for all of us to move on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Honestly brother, I don't think it's anything that nefarious. I just think that both Mike and Marvin are EXTREMELY comfortable and complacent. Mike never has to go through a head coaching search process and is more than fine with being competitive now and then. Marvin never has to look for another job and he will never be held accountable when he fails. That's a lot of security.

Think about it - Marvin has been a free agent coach twice since the Bengals first hired him...once after 8 years, once after 15 years. How many teams made him actual offers each of those times? HC offers, DC offers, front office offers? I can't remember a single one. The only team that offered him anything was the Bengals. Marvin had nothing to leverage except that he might not return, but there wasn't anything else on the table that we know of. So, Mike just has to wait for Marvin to come crawling back home again...and Marvin seems perfectly fine with that.

I've talked a lot over the years about Mike's lack of drive and passion, but I can't help but to question Marvin's as well. You would think there would be a big part of him, pure ego if nothing else, that say's he could be a much better coach and have a better chance of winning if he was with a team that had a competent owner, a real GM and an actual desire to be more than just mediocre.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2018, 03:33 PM)McC Wrote: They can't possibly think that.  No one with enough brain to walk upright and speak without drooling could really think that.

I'd bet money they think that. (if I was a betting man and I wouldn't bet much since I couldn't stand the thought of losing cash)   Tongue

I think they remember fondly things like Division Titles, the 8 and 0 start to 2015, the 4 and 1 start in 2018 etc.

I think they believe in themselves & lean on any good memories & accomplishments they have to think they could actually pull it off someday.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2018, 03:30 PM)depthchart Wrote: I think that Mike believes that he is just one Healthy season away from Vindicating himself and Marvin.

Any person on staff with any football knowledge who actually thought this years team would be competitive with the OL and LB's we had should never have a job in football again. It was very clear, even at 4-1 and before the injuries that this team was going nowhere.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2018, 03:38 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Agree, this has gone far beyond apathy and incompetence and into the realm of mental disorder with Mike Brown....seriously. Unfortunately the NFL Welfare system keeps Mike Brown’s philosophy alive and well. He never has to deal with consequences of running a horrible franchise..The checks come regardless if he wins or loses. And thus, here we are.....I would almost prefer the team leave town...it would make it easier for all of us to move on.

Unfortunately....I found myself saying this same thing in a conversation last night.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2018, 03:43 PM)depthchart Wrote: I'd bet money they think that. (if I was a betting man and I wouldn't bet much since I couldn't stand the thought of losing cash)   Tongue

I think they remember fondly things like Division Titles, the 8 and 0 start to 2015, the 4 and 1 start in 2018 etc.

I think they believe in themselves & lean on any good memories & accomplishments they have to think they could actually pull it off someday.

If this is actually the case, then they are truly insane and it's time for bibs and diapers.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
This is why my fandom is dying. I still chat with you guys, but haven't watched a game in several weeks.

I've never been lower as a fan...and I went through the 90's.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Man, think about it - this franchise is about to wrap up their 48th season (out of 51) without a playoff win and 28th straight.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2018, 03:54 PM)McC Wrote: If this is actually the case, then they are truly insane and it's time for bibs and diapers.

They probably surround themselves with reminders of the good times.

Division Championship reminders.

News clippings of the 8 and 0 start season.

A Five Straight Playoff appearances Banner in Mike's bedroom.

If they just focus on these things then they can convince themselves that they are competent.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2018, 11:57 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Time to waste some money on some billboards it seems.

[Image: 48411689_10157578160829237_8364552815888...e=5CD85709]

Here's my choice.

btw that may be my new sig i'm not sure yet

One of those coaches was fired mid-season, and 2 others were rumored to be on the hot seat (Tomlin and Harbaugh).

Yet Marv's seat is comfier than ever.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2018, 04:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: One of those coaches was fired mid-season, and 2 others were rumored to be on the hot seat (Tomlin and Harbaugh).

Yet Marv's seat is comfier than ever.

The employee gets to decide his own fate.  That's a real recipe for success.

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2018, 03:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This is why my fandom is dying. I still chat with you guys, but haven't watched a game in several weeks.

I've never been lower as a fan...and I went through the 90's.
I hope I never end up we're your at but I honestly can't blame you for being that pissed right now. 
For  me the problem is we're not that far away from being good but I have no confidence that anyone will make those small changes nessary to make the roster better.  
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2018, 04:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yet Marv's seat is comfier than ever.

He is making more money than ever.

His son is on Staff and the Payroll.

Marv ain't going anywhere.

Super Comfy...
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2018, 04:10 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I hope I never end up we're your at but I honestly can't blame you for being that pissed right now. 
For  me the problem is we're not that far away from being good but I have no confidence that anyone will make those small changes nessary to make the roster better.  

The funny thing is, the Bengals could revitalize things so easily for me. Just make a few obvious necessary changes and hire a new HC from a respectable pool of candidates. In any other sports town, that would be status quo. With Mike Brown, that's nearly impossible to expect. After 16 years, Marv ball is just beyond stale for me. I'm done with it.

(12-24-2018, 04:12 PM)depthchart Wrote: He is making more money than ever.

His son is on Staff and the Payroll.

Marv ain't going anywhere.

Super Comfy...

People keep hoping that he'll burn out. For the reasons you listed, why would he? He'd have to have some sort of professional pride.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2018, 04:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The funny thing is, the Bengals could revitalize things so easily for me. Just make a few obvious necessary changes and hire a new HC from a respectable pool of candidates. In any other sports town, that would be status quo. With Mike Brown, that's nearly impossible to expect. After 16 years, Marv ball is just beyond stale for me. I'm done with it.

People keep hoping that he'll burn out. For the reasons you listed, why would he? He'd have to have some sort of professional pride.

Hell man....even the Reds with their minuscule resources compared to the front runners in MLB made HUGE, splash deals last week and changed up the coaching staff.

Nope....not Son of Paul.  Ol Mervy gets to decide when enough is enough, and will probably just pass the torch to one of his lackeys.  It's worse than Piano Paul FFS.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2018, 04:02 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Man, think about it - this franchise is about to wrap up their 48th season (out of 51) without a playoff win and 28th straight.  Mellow

I am starting to wonder how am I still a fan of this team as...

I am a fan of first rate teams and organizations such as Ohio State football and Manchester United 'football' in England. 
I was a big fan of the Bulls during the Jordan and Pippen era.
I am part-time fan of the Saints mainly because of Brees, who is one of my favorite players of all time. (I now regret not going to that game he smoked us).
Joe Montana was my favorite player of the 80s not named Munoz.

Yet 'my team' of my favorite sport just happens to be the frikken Bengals with Ebenzer Brown still being apathetic to trying to win it all after all these years. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2018, 04:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hell man....even the Reds with their minuscule resources compared to the front runners in MLB made HUGE, splash deals last week and changed up the coaching staff.

Nope....not Son of Paul.  Ol Mervy gets to decide when enough is enough, and will probably just pass the torch to one of his lackeys.  It's worse than Piano Paul FFS.

I saw that. Looks like the Reds are trying to make something of Votto's last few years. Good for them. 

Meanwhile, AJ Green and Atkins' careers are going to waste.

(12-24-2018, 04:38 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I am starting to wonder how am I still a fan of this team as...

I am a fan of first rate teams and organizations such as Ohio State football and Manchester United 'football' in England. 
I was a big fan of the Bulls during the Jordan and Pippen era.
I am part-time fan of the Saints mainly because of Brees, who is one of my favorite players of all time. (I now regret not going to that game he smoked us).
Joe Montana was my favorite player of the 80s not named Munoz.

Yet 'my team' of my favorite sport just happens to be the frikken Bengals with Ebenzer Brown still being apathetic to trying to win it all after all these years. 

We have some similarities. I actually started out as a Chiefs fan (because of Montana), then gradually switched over to the Bengals thanks to Montana retiring and Jeff Blake emerging. I really wish in hindsight that young me would've just stuck it out with the Chiefs. I'd be sitting pretty right now, that's for sure.
Reply/Quote