Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well.....Well....Well...
(06-28-2018, 03:33 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Well, I'm interested in finding out if the events that have happened have had any affect on her thoughts. Does she regret asking SHS to leave? Does she think she made a mistake? Does she still feel she made the right decision?

And I'm not. I'm wondering if these things weighed on her mind before making the decision and if they've made her re-think her decision at all. 

A lot of people will think that one thing is the right course of action but still choose to do something different for expediency sakes. And I wonder if the manager considers maybe she should have done, not the right thing, but the more expedient thing.

Some people are guided by values and some aren't.  We have no idea what this woman would have done.  But we can say what we would have done.

I would have done the same thing even if I knew it would create this firestorm.

What about you.  Are your values wort sacrificing anything for?  Or is it more important to take the easy way our instead of standing up for your beliefs?
(06-28-2018, 04:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Some people are guided by values and some aren't.  We have no idea what this woman would have done.  But we can say what we would have done.

True, but it's still interesting to discuss possibilities, IMO.

(06-28-2018, 04:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I would have done the same thing even if I knew it would create this firestorm.
Good for you. 
I don't know if I would. If only because it might negatively affect the restaurant and my employees. If I felt my decision would put my employees in an unsafe environment, I would probably look to make a different decision.
(06-28-2018, 04:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What about you.  Are your values wort sacrificing anything for?  Or is it more important to take the easy way our instead of standing up for your beliefs?

Depends on the situation. In this particular case, I wouldn't have asked SHS to leave in the first place, but that's because I believe in serving anyone and everyone as long as they are not being disruptive or violent or something along those lines.
I would also try to consider those around me and if standing up for my beliefs will cause undue harm to those around me, I would seriously consider if the cost would be worth the price. 
I should add that I am prone to laziness so sometimes I don't consider any of that and just do whatever's easiest on me.
[Image: giphy.gif]
In all honesty I would consider the effect on others before I decided to sacrifice anything for my values.

In this case I would have thought that the only effect would have been that some liberals would be refused service at conservative owned businesses.
(06-28-2018, 05:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In all honesty I would consider the effect on others before I decided to sacrifice anything for my values.

In this case I would have thought that the only effect would have been that some liberals would be refused service at conservative owned businesses.

I honestly don't think the manager considered that the response would have ever been this bad. And that's not her fault. But that's why I'm curious if she would still do what she did now realizing that some Trump supporters are truly despicable people.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Has anyone floated the possibility that the most despicable protesters are actual liberals who are attempting to make Trump supporters appear unreasonable?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-28-2018, 06:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Has anyone floated the possibility that the most despicable protesters are actual liberals who are attempting to make Trump supporters appear unreasonable?

I can guarantee someone has.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-28-2018, 06:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Has anyone floated the possibility that the most despicable protesters are actual liberals who are attempting to make Trump supporters appear unreasonable?

I heard it on good authority that it was a Russian spy acting like a CIA agent playing the part of an DOJ informant acting like a Republican playing as a Liberal to cast Constitutionalists in a bad light by acting like an Conservative to place blame on Democrats.

So in other words, it's Jimmy Carter's fault.
(06-28-2018, 12:00 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I read the most uplifting books, I know. LOL

People in my office will see what I'm reading and go "I hope that is some assigned reading" and I really wish I could respond that it is. But the truth is that this sort of political stuff is what I like to read in my spare time, as well. It does come in handy for research, though, because I have more information to pull from.

And to be clear, the book is not a "let's tear down democracy!" type of book, it is a book on how to identify the signs of an authoritarian and how best to combat the rise of one in their opinions.

Oh, I have no doubt. It's actually one reason I kind of want to get more involved. I want to play a role in preventing both parties from becoming like that.

Try "The Last Free Man in America: Meets the Synthetic Subversion".  It wasn't edited the best, but makes for some interesting reading, nonetheless.  I also liked "Don't Start the Revolution Without Me", though Ventura is not everyone's cup of tea. Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

Anything is a possibility with extremists wanting to get a point across. Definitely not saying I think this is the case, because I equally would say that there is a possibility of far-right extremists faking to be on the left to make left protesters look bad.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(06-29-2018, 03:03 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Try "The Last Free Man in America: Meets the Synthetic Subversion".  It wasn't edited the best, but makes for some interesting reading, nonetheless.  I also liked "Don't Start the Revolution Without Me", though Ventura is not everyone's cup of tea. Smirk

Oh, next on my list is The Road to Unfreedom.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-29-2018, 03:30 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Oh, next on my list is The Road to Unfreedom.

That looks interesting.....I may pick that one up myself. ThumbsUp

"Better send those refunds..."

(06-29-2018, 03:32 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: That looks interesting.....I may pick that one up myself. ThumbsUp

He has a fun, short read called On Tyranny that I also recommend.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR