Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Were the injuries too much to overcome this year?
(11-30-2018, 02:37 PM)GodFather Wrote: People see what they want to see no matter what you throw at them. At the end of the day the Bengals did exactly what a Marvin Lewis team does...folds .....for the same reasons they have in the past.

Fans will come on here and cling onto every single season with dear life, and when its statistically impossible for them to make the playoffs will blame everything other than the obvious. This will give them hope for next year being "The Year"

and guess what?  It won't!

I get that hope is important to people. I had false hope in this team for many years. It's how I got through the 90's. That said, at some point you just have to be honest with yourself. The stench of this team isn't coming from the injuries.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 02:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Exactly.

1. Say what you want. If you take a poll of people on earth who know anything about the NFL, 99% of them would take McCarthy over Marvin Lewis. Any insult you could hurl at McCarthy, you could also say of Marvin, and McCarthy has a ring...as a Head Coach.

I say winning a ring doesn't automatically make you a great coach. Look at Gary Kubiak he has a ring and a win loss record barely over .500. 

And come on man do you honestly believe that the injuries aren't a big problem?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 02:49 PM)Synric Wrote: I say winning a ring doesn't automatically make you a great coach. Look at Gary Kubiak he has a ring and a win loss record barely over .500. 

And come on man do you honestly believe that the injuries aren't a big problem?

Lol I'd take Kubiak over Marvin as well. Did you know that Kubiak is undefeated (7-0) vs Marvin? 

I didn't say McCarthy was "great" btw. That's a strawman. I'm just saying he's better than Marvin.

...and see post #100 for a quick summary of my thoughts on the injuries.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 09:23 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: This ownership with this current team building strategy and this current coaching staff would have found a way to lose even if they had drafted all star players such as Patrick Mahomes and Michael Thomas. The organization as a whole is incoherent, rudderless, and entirely uninterested in ever being the best.

On a side note: it's almost as if they WANT to be able to pull out the old injury card with the way that they have been drafting lately. The chronically/seriously injured first rounders tend to be avoided by most teams. 

The biggest bust I see is the drafting of players that are not difference makers,your draft numbers 1,2,3, all must be starters and a huge improvement over what you have,so far Duke Tobin has a big fat F FOR FAILURE to produce any of this that we so needed and Fisher and number 70 are in the tank and will not be here in 2019. This kind of epic failure sets your team back two years.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 02:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I get that hope is important to people. I had false hope in this team for many years. It's how I got through the 90's. That said, at some point you just have to be honest with yourself. The stench of this team isn't coming from the injuries.

Couldn't agree more !

This team went 4-1 to open the season, yes they did, but and it's a big butt. They just got really lucky, the ball bounced their way a lot. In those 20 quarters the offense was good in perhaps 5 of them ? And the defense won two of those games, of all things. We could very easily started 2-3 or worse.

All the problems with this D were there from the very beginning. Again they might have had 3 or 4 decent quarters in that stretch and ran into an interception machine.

This team had no real shot at all, even without the injuries.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 02:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I get that hope is important to people. I had false hope in this team for many years. It's how I got through the 90's. That said, at some point you just have to be honest with yourself. The stench of this team isn't coming from the injuries.

Did you honestly expect anything differently? Seriously it boggles my mind how many fans and people on this board expected post season success after Marvin re-signed this past offseason going into this year.

Not going to be any different next year healthy or not. Shit starts at the top and trickles down...
Reply/Quote