Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
What’s worse for America
(01-27-2022, 10:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Isn't kneeling pretty much a Catholic thing?  I remember the first time I saw a protestant church.  No kneelers, no kneeling, no holy water, no corpse on the cross...what the hell?

Well Catholic or not not many Jewish people will kneel for the cross.   Mellow

But I don't expect these Trump supporters to understand...anything. Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 03:24 PM)jason Wrote: I wouldn't put it past China to invade Taiwan simultaneously with Russia moving into Ukraine.

China isn't doing shit until the Olympics are over.  Xi will not have his showcase tarnished while the world is watching.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 12:53 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Agreed.

What would your opinion be on working with Mexico to create a buffer colony on the border ?
Mexico donates a stretch of land and the US donates supplies/equipment/security for the colony.

This would afford a safe environment for the people who cannot be vetted to prove themselves in an advancement towards applying for citizenship.
Easier said than done, but something I've often pondered.

Mexico already "donated" CA, AZ, NM and TX, didn't they? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 10:12 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Wait, didn't you ardently defend protesting outside someone's private residence while I stated it was a horrible idea and meant to intimidate?  Your inconsistency is delightfully inconsistent.  Cool

Protesting someone's political positions and protesting to be anti-Semitic are two different things. I have a feeling the concern was more about the "convert!" issue rather than the protesting itself.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 09:35 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Protesting someone's political positions and protesting to be anti-Semitic are two different things. I have a feeling the concern was more about the "convert!" issue rather than the protesting itself.

Yeah, I think marching and protesting is a *little* different than the accusations thrown at this particular target.  Should have been obvious.

I don't care if people want to protest.  Would I rather they didn't intimidate people's families too?  Of course! That doesn't take away whatever right people have to protest but it shows a little humanity and respect for people vs policies/politics.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 09:35 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Protesting someone's political positions and protesting to be anti-Semitic are two different things. I have a feeling the concern was more about the "convert!" issue rather than the protesting itself.

I reread the entire article looking for the antisemitism.  I didn't see it, but more importantly the guy being protested didn't see it either.  He flat out stated, "And I don't want to claim antisemitism. I don't know what was in those gentlemen's hearts to show up in front of my home."  If they had done or said something antisemitic would he have any doubts?

So, given that we revert back to my original point, original from several years ago.  Protesting outside someone's private residence, regardless of the reason, is done with the intent to intimidate.  Whether it's the official in Missouri that prompted the McClusky incident, protesting outside Jackie Lacey's house (the last real DA LA County had), or this incident, the intent is always the same.  So either support it all or don't, but don't pretend that this one is worse because the the guy was targeted by Trump supporters.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 09:43 AM)GMDino Wrote: Yeah, I think marching and protesting is a *little* different than the accusations thrown at this particular target.  Should have been obvious.

Odd then that it wasn't obvious to the target of the protest.

Quote:I don't care if people want to protest.  Would I rather they didn't intimidate people's families too?  Of course! That doesn't take away whatever right people have to protest but it shows a little humanity and respect for people vs policies/politics.

Ohhh, so be nicer in your attempts to intimidate a person and their family.  The knots you tie yourself in to justify the same activity when the target is someone you don't like is truly impressive.  This must be an extremists disease, because other people here never see when their side engages in the exact behavior they dislike in others either.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 12:51 AM)Dill Wrote: Mexico already "donated" CA, AZ, NM and TX, didn't they? 

Sure, just like Germany "donated" huge chunks of Prussia to Poland.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 01:41 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Dill Wrote:Mexico already "donated" CA, AZ, NM and TX, didn't they? 

Sure, just like Germany "donated" huge chunks of Prussia to Poland.

??? looks like you are repeating my point without getting it.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2022, 07:59 PM)Dill Wrote: ??? looks like you are repeating my point without getting it.

Cool
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
Sorry I'm just now jumping in this but from what I understand is Russia all things considered is weak. Without their Nukes they wouldn't be worth talking about.

Literally China and the U.S could stop supporting them financially and they would crumble.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2022, 01:17 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Sorry I'm just now jumping in this but from what I understand is Russia all things considered is weak. Without their Nukes they wouldn't be worth talking about.

Literally China and the U.S could stop supporting them financially and they would crumble.

Sort of weak.  

Its economy is about the size of Italy's. 

It doesn't have the "globalist" alliance power the U.S. has acquired through diplomatic leadership since WWII. 
But they punch above their weight in many other ways. Not just nukes, but sophisticated cyberattacks and an incredible
ability to affect domestic politics in many countries, especially Western Democracies.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/16/politics/donald-trump-putin-helsinki-summit/index.html
https://news.yahoo.com/kremlin-tv-worries-tucker-carlson-115119091.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

"Crumbling" Russia would not be in the interest of China, the EU or the US, however. We need their backing on other issues, like a new Iran deal, and we don't want to see a Yugoslavian-style break up of a country that spans 11 time zones and two continents.

I would argue that one reason we are having problems with Russia now is because of how we handled the break up of the USSR.
If we'd made supporting  democracy a priority, shoring up their economy and social safety net instead of shocking them into capitalism, and stopped expanding NATO, it is likely Russia and the Ukraine would both be in a better place today, not to mention the world.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 09:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: I think this is pretty bad for America too.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/democracy-2020/ohio-politics/protesters-allegedly-supporting-trump-gather-outside-state-rep-weinsteins-hudson-home

Casey has really been pushing hard for proper redistricting and I think that's what got to the folks that were protesting. They're worried about a shift in the balance of power. It might also have to do with him being a little bit of a troll on social media. I have him on Facebook and he can be hilarious. For instance, he took that whole "Jewish Space Lasers" thing and ran with it for a bit....lol

(01-28-2022, 12:51 AM)Dill Wrote: Mexico already "donated" CA, AZ, NM and TX, didn't they? 

Donate was an ill choice in terms, I suppose.
Proclamation of a Sanctuary Zone, maybe (semi-temporary, or not) ?
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2022, 07:59 PM)Dill Wrote: ??? looks like you are repeating my point without getting it.

Incorrect, as usuasl.
Reply/Quote
More of the gop "platform"  Mellow

You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 03:39 PM)GMDino Wrote: More of the gop "platform"  Mellow

It's telling that many of your posts nowadays are tweets from other people.  Not only is twitter the vilest place on Earth but most people on it are full of shit.  Take this example;

Cool, so you support the child tax credit?@GOP: No

Incorrect, the child tax credit already exists, the objection was with the way it was distributed, monthly instead of annually.  So, wrong right out of the gate.

Universal pre-K?@GOP: No

We already have free public education.  Preschool is considered optional.  Why should the government pay for it?  I suppose it's inline with far left thinking, as they want college to be free as well with the cancel student loan debt movement.  

Paid family leave?@GOP: No

At the national level, yes.

Nutritional assistance programs?@GOP: No

At the national level, yes.  This doesn't prevent any state from implementing their own programs.

Higher pay for teachers?@GOP: No

I don't know where you live, but teachers are probably overpaid here in CA.  I have several friends who are teachers, all of them are extremely well compensated.

Bills to keep our kids safe?@GOP: No

Could this get more nebulous?  What exactly is a bill that would "keep our kids safe" that the GOP has blocked or come out against?  
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 06:44 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Higher pay for teachers?@GOP: No

I don't know where you live, but teachers are probably overpaid here in CA.  I have several friends who are teachers, all of them are extremely well compensated.

You don’t know where your internet enemy lives? Come on bro. Gtfo.

Teachers being well compensated does not mean they are overpaid.

I’m surprised this is your take honestly. Overpaid?
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 06:44 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Higher pay for teachers?@GOP: No

Many states in this country are facing teacher shortages because of compensation issues. In a lot of places, teachers have to work second jobs to make ends meet. Considering teaching is more than a 40 hour work week and they often have to pay out of pocket for things that the school division should honestly be buying for them anyway, it's pretty ridiculous. Sure, New York and California rank first and second in teacher compensation respectively, but here in Virginia where we rank in the bottom half of that list we can't keep teachers employed and any efforts to change that are blocked by the Republicans in the Commonwealth.

Which, does bring me to another thing with your list. Even those issues where you mention that things could be done at the state level, Republicans block those things there as well. The GOP strategy of taking over statehouses that has existed for the past few decades has made the GOP on the national and state levels pretty damn close to lock step. There may be the odd thing here and there that we see crop up, but for the most part if the GOP opposes it at the national level they also oppose it at the state level.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 06:44 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's telling that many of your posts nowadays are tweets from other people.  Not only is twitter the vilest place on Earth but most people on it are full of shit.  Take this example;

Cool, so you support the child tax credit?@GOP: No

Incorrect, the child tax credit already exists, the objection was with the way it was distributed, monthly instead of annually.  So, wrong right out of the gate.

Universal pre-K?@GOP: No

We already have free public education.  Preschool is considered optional.  Why should the government pay for it?  I suppose it's inline with far left thinking, as they want college to be free as well with the cancel student loan debt movement.  

Paid family leave?@GOP: No

At the national level, yes.

Nutritional assistance programs?@GOP: No

At the national level, yes.  This doesn't prevent any state from implementing their own programs.

Higher pay for teachers?@GOP: No

Bills to keep our kids safe?@GOP: No

Could this get more nebulous?  What exactly is a bill that would "keep our kids safe" that the GOP has blocked or come out against?  

Dismissing Pre-K as pre-school and comparing it to college is a really poor comparison. You can make the argument that the data is conflicting on the benefits of Pre-K, but Pre-K is first and foremost an education program rather than a mix of child care and early education as preschool is. There's an argument to be made that a Pre-K program should be a necessity for children, whether it's public, private, or home.

I don't think it's some "far left" idea to say that public school may benefit by including a grade prior to K, and it's not even remotely close to suggesting that the govt should fun $40-80k worth of a person's post secondary education. I'm pretty sure you know that your comparison wasn't an intellectually honest one. 

On average, adjusted for hours worked and benefits (which tend to be good for teachers), teachers make about 11% less than similarly educated professionals. This gap was nearly nonexistent 30 years ago. There's also an expectation that educators should donate their time for free.

Our education system is built on educators doing more than they're contractually obligated to without additional compensation. We don't get overtime pay for everything that we do. When our association "worked to rule" last year (we'd only do what our contract requires us to during contract hours) in response to our system not providing adequate covid measures, a local conservative parent group took to the local news to say that we were "throwing a tantrum" and did not care about the children. They accused us of causing children to be unable to play sports or have clubs, and they also said that student suicides will be our fault.

Some of that tweet was vague and silly, but the GOP is actively hostile towards educators and treats them with disdain. It's part of the anti-intellectualism that has taken hold of the GOP in recent decades.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 03:07 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Incorrect, as usuasl.

And you can't explain why, as usual.
Reply/Quote