Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Really Happens When You Use the R-Word
People often use words like this with the sole purpose of insulting someone. They treat the word as if it is meant to be an insult, which is pretty insensitive toward those who the word actually applies to.

It just seems classless.

Use whatever words you want, but don't be surprised when normal people look at you as less civilized.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-03-2017, 10:39 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Seriously, we need more fake facebook posts 

We sure don't need anymore whinging.

Thanks
(10-03-2017, 10:53 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: People often use words like this with the sole purpose of insulting someone. They treat the word as if it is meant to be an insult, which is pretty insensitive toward those who the word actually applies to.

It just seems classless.

Use whatever words you want, but don't be surprised when normal people look at you as less civilized.

Perfectly fair.

Probably don't need to be told about it over and over. One post saying you don't agree is sufficient.

Which I will say that you have consistently done in my experience.
(10-03-2017, 10:53 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: People often use words like this with the sole purpose of insulting someone.  They treat the word as if it is meant to be an insult, which is pretty insensitive toward those who the word actually applies to.

It just seems classless.

But nobody uses "********" to describe a mentally handicapped person.  A 20 yr old person has never heard that used professionally.  It no longer applies to them.  Like "idiot".
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(10-03-2017, 10:53 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: We sure don't need anymore whinging.

Thanks

Reread your posts above and take you own advise.
(10-03-2017, 10:56 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Perfectly fair.  

Probably don't need to be told about it over and over.   One post saying you don't agree is sufficient.  

Which I will say that you have consistently done in my experience.

A quick search for the words "********", "******", and "Tard" in any of my posts on this website yields only this thread as a result.

This hasn't been something that I have posted about "consistently".  In fact, I've NEVER posted about it.

But...I'll point it out from now on, consistently.
LFG  

My only issue is the word by definition, even when used properly, is meant to be a negative. The author can pretend that it has inaccurately been assigned a negative connotation by society in terms of it's use as a noun, which I can understand to an extent, but the word literally has a meaning that something is inferior or is hindering progress as a verb. If the attempt when someone say's "that is ********" is to say that is bad, one can argue that saying something is delaying progress or impeding accomplishment (I.E. "bad") would be true. It would be similar to saying something is stupid, however the only difference is that ****** has a noun form referencing a specific group that people don't want to attach the negative connotation to that is spelled out by the definition of the word in verb form.

I understand people don't like being called names, but I think people need to realize that words mean different things to different people. The reality is words evolve over time and ****** has evolved into a synonym for stupid. The funny thing is stupid doesn't even mean stupid as in lacking intelligence most the time, but rather simply bad. I get why people would not want to be associated with bad, but most people simply refer to mentally handicapped people as just that not retards.

Which brings me to my main thought, If most people don't believe a word means what it means does it really mean that anymore?
(10-03-2017, 10:56 AM)michaelsean Wrote: But nobody uses "********" to describe a mentally handicapped person.  A 20 yr old person has never heard that used professionally.  It no longer applies to them.  Like "idiot".

I don't think this argument has much validity man, sorry.  Just because it's no longer in style doesn't mean it doesn't have the same negative connotation. 
LFG  

(10-03-2017, 11:48 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I don't think this argument has much validity man, sorry.  Just because it's no longer in style doesn't mean it doesn't have the same negative connotation. 

What is it now referring to?  Not a mentally handicapped person anymore.  It's not used that way.  Like I said, "idiot" used to be a professional term, but nobody bats an eye at its use nowadays.  I personally don't going around saying "********" because while I'm sure I said it 1000 times as a kid, there was a stigma attached to using it because it meant something more.  

It's the meaning behind the words that give them power. It's why black people can say a certain word and I can't.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(10-03-2017, 12:04 PM)michaelsean Wrote: What is it now referring to?  Not a mentally handicapped person anymore.  It's not used that way.  Like I said, "idiot" used to be a professional term, but nobody bats an eye at its use nowadays.  I personally don't going around saying "********" because while I'm sure I said it 1000 times as a kid, there was a stigma attached to using it because it meant something more.  

It's the meaning behind the words that give them power.  It's why black people can say a certain word and I can't.

I was teasing my son while we were school shopping about him dropping the highest level classes for the next highest level (I can't remember the nomenclature the school uses...but like from AP to honors or whatever) and I said not worry I took sped classes in high school too.  

(I didn't want to go to any science fairs so I chose the "slow" biology class and everyone freaked (parents/counselor) because I wasn't going to be on the "fast track" anymore.  I never made a better decision in school!  LOL!)

Anyway he said (laughing at me) "Wow...that's bad." and it took me a beat to realize that "sped" wasn't something kids used anymore...and that 30 years after I graduated high school it wasn't acceptable.  I probably hadn't used the word IN 30 years!  So I laughed and explained myself and we moved on.

We all have words in our vocabulary that shouldn't be used...sometimes they slip out.  Knowing that they are inappropriate is half the battle to ending the use of them.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Here is my biggest beef with the piece. It claims that ****** is ALWAYS used as a put down when in fact it isn't. Anyone ever heard the term fire retardant? Is that a put down? I have also read numerous medical and scientific articles that use the words ****** and inhibit interchangeably.

Just because the author doesn't like the word doesn't mean that there are not legitimate uses that are not derogatory. If all it took was a few people to think a particular word was demeaning then we would no longer beable to call people democrats and instead have to call them politically challenged persons.
(10-03-2017, 11:37 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: A quick search for the words "********", "******", and "Tard" in any of my posts on this website yields only this thread as a result.

This hasn't been something that I have posted about "consistently".  In fact, I've NEVER posted about it.

But...I'll point it out from now on, consistently.

I never said that you did. I was saying that you, unlike others, do just come out and say when you do not agree with any language used by me or any other poster and then leave it at that without belaboring the point.

I was giving you a compliment but if you decide to take it the other way then do be it.

We don't always agree but you are at least consistent. And that I can respect
(10-03-2017, 12:12 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: Here is my biggest beef with the piece. It claims that ****** is ALWAYS used as a put down when in fact it isn't. Anyone ever heard the term fire retardant? Is that a put down? I have also read numerous medical and scientific articles that use the words ****** and inhibit interchangeably.

Just because the author doesn't like the word doesn't mean that there are not legitimate uses that are not derogatory. If all it took was a few people to think a particular word was demeaning then we would no longer beable to call people democrats and instead have to call them politically challenged persons.

This is why no one on this board can have a discussion on car repairs and use the shortened word for transmission.

It's ridiculous .
(10-03-2017, 12:11 PM)GMDino Wrote: We all have words in our vocabulary that shouldn't be used...sometimes they slip out.  Knowing that they are inappropriate is half the battle to ending the use of them.

My paternal grandmother, btw the nicest person I have ever met, referred to the "colored" part of town or "colored" people until she died.  There was never a hint of racism to it, it's just the word she knew and used.
(10-03-2017, 10:53 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: We sure don't need anymore whinging.

Thanks

Then stop derailing threads and complaining about the content.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(10-03-2017, 12:42 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: My paternal grandmother, btw the nicest person I have ever met, referred to the "colored" part of town or "colored" people until she died.  There was never a hint of racism to it, it's just the word she knew and used.

Some of that is definitely generational.  Like my use of "sped".  

Times change, words get new meanings.

First time I told my wife an alternative word for a "bundle of sticks" she didn't believe me.   Smirk

My grandfather called every woman he talked about "girl"...even if she was 90.  Never "woman".  Always "girl".

I find myself doing the same thing sometimes!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(10-03-2017, 12:12 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: Here is my biggest beef with the piece. It claims that ****** is ALWAYS used as a put down when in fact it isn't. Anyone ever heard the term fire retardant? Is that a put down? I have also read numerous medical and scientific articles that use the words ****** and inhibit interchangeably.

The author said "commonly used" not "exclusively used".
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(10-03-2017, 12:49 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The author said "commonly used" not "exclusively used".
Quote:As these two words are now commonly used? They are (at all times), meant as a euphemistic put-down
You were saying?
(10-03-2017, 12:29 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: This is why no one on this board can have a discussion on car repairs and use the shortened word for transmission.

It's ridiculous .

Actually, the reason why people on this board can't use that word is because of you. You used it as a slur repeatedly and were repeatedly warned not to do it. Until finally, your noncompliance with repeated requests from the moderators to stop forced them to modify the language filter.

You've pushed this false narrative repeatedly to the point this obviously more trolling.

Have you ever heard, "Quit while you're ahead"?
(10-03-2017, 12:11 PM)GMDino Wrote: (I didn't want to go to any science fairs so I chose the "slow" biology class and everyone freaked (parents/counselor) because I wasn't going to be on the "fast track" anymore.  I never made a better decision in school!  LOL!)

I did the same thing with English when I was in high school. I wanted a break in one subject, and I dislike that the most, so I dropped to regular in my junior year. Problem was that I had already completed the curriculum for the regular classes through my senior year because of my upper level classes for 9th, 10th, and half of 11th. LOL