Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Really Happens When You Use the R-Word
(10-03-2017, 05:21 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: Since the author says only the words ****** and ******** should never be used you guys will be ok with retards then right? I can't say Nancy Pelosi is a ****** but all democrats are retards is ok. Gotcha

It's like a convention of retards .
(10-03-2017, 04:32 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Why do conservatives get so bent out of shape when you suggest to them that deliberately trying to offend someone is a bad thing?

If you dudes want to talk like this, have at it. If you want to walk around calling people "retards", do your thing. No one is trying to take your freedom of speech away here. Just don't get upset that people look at you like you like you're a douche. Be civilized. It's not difficult to try not to be offensive.

If I say something that is offensive to you, call me out on it. I'll most likely try to do better next time. I don't see what the big deal is about it.

Exactly.

But we all know why this thread was eve posted. To get ****** added to list of banned words because I used it the other day.

We shouldn't have any words blocked. Except swear words ofc. Let the speech stand for itself and we can all react accordingly.
(10-03-2017, 04:18 PM)GMDino Wrote: Simply amazing the hoops people will jump through to justify their usage of a word that is clearly an insult when directed at a person or thing.

Amazing.

I'd invite every single one of these guy to come to our next Best Buddies meeting and explain to the group why it's cool to use that word. 

On a positive note, you'd be amazed at the number of high schoolers who will tell another kid that it's not ok to use that word.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
This whole thread is pooptarded.
(10-03-2017, 06:30 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'd invite every single one of these guy to come to our next Best Buddies meeting and explain to the group why it's cool to use that word. 

On a positive note, you'd be amazed at the number of high schoolers who will tell another kid that it's not ok to use that word.

The implicit bias one can observe on this board is amazing when it comes to this sort of thing.
(10-03-2017, 06:10 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It's like a convention of retards .

But, is it a convention of fire retardants? Or even retardants?
While it is impolite to call someone a ******, or a group of people retards, or even use the term when referring to people with developmental disabilities. Hard to understand how or why the transition even occurred, as the clinical term, for ages, was mental retardation. Anyway, let's not digress. So with that all said, I do not think it's wrong to tell people that you're completely familiar and comfortable with that they are acting like retards.

Before anyone jumps the shark, and goes straight to; "But Sunset, that's still using the word. Blah, hlah, blah, and so forth.", let me just say that the time for the thought police and speech enforcers has gone too far. In other words, don't try to limit or control what I, or anyone else can say, and use some sort of "blanket protection" of it being under some "offensive clause".

There was a time when words were harsher, and people had thicker skin. Why not use all of your so called intellect to summon the mental toughness to just persevere through an occasional disparaging word?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(10-03-2017, 09:48 AM)GMDino Wrote: I actually read a study that said people like that have very HIGH self-esteem.  They think that the way they act show they really ARE better than whomever they are degrading.  Which makes it more sad to me.

Liberals are exactly like that.
(10-03-2017, 12:29 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: This is why no one on this board can have a discussion on car repairs and use the shortened word for transmission.  

It's ridiculous .

The word was placed on the language filter for one reason and one reason only -- because a certain member refused to stop using it in a derogatory fashion, when the actual term(s) would've sufficed in any 'serious' discussion of the topic.
(10-03-2017, 08:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While it is impolite to call someone a ******, or a group of people retards, or even use the term when referring to people with developmental disabilities.  Hard to understand how or why the transition even occurred, as the clinical term, for ages, was mental retardation.  Anyway, let's not digress.  So with that all said, I do not think it's wrong to tell people that you're completely familiar and comfortable with that they are acting like retards.

Before anyone jumps the shark, and goes straight to;  "But Sunset, that's still using the word.  Blah, hlah, blah, and so forth.", let me just say that the time for the thought police and speech enforcers has gone too far.  In other words, don't try to limit or control what I, or anyone else can say, and use some sort of "blanket protection" of it being under some "offensive clause".  

There was a time when words were harsher, and people had thicker skin.  Why not use all of your so called intellect to summon the mental toughness to just persevere through an occasional disparaging word?

Thicker skin...better understanding of not insulting people.

Like I said: words change meaning.  It happens.

"Gay" is one that changed for example.

And I admitted I laugh at inappropriate things too...but as you said among friends.

I guess I just fall in the group that would rather we avoid words that carry any extra weight just because we can use use them.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Prepare the foot!

(10-03-2017, 10:25 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The word was placed on the language filter for one reason and one reason only -- because a certain member refused to stop using it in a derogatory fashion, when the actual term(s) would've sufficed in any 'serious' discussion of the topic.

The foot is down! The. Foot. Is. Down.
(10-03-2017, 10:25 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The word was placed on the language filter for one reason and one reason only -- because a certain member refused to stop using it in a derogatory fashion, when the actual term(s) would've sufficed in any 'serious' discussion of the topic.

Which brings up the reason this thread has been left open.

There are legitimate usages for the word ******. The problem isn’t with the word, it’s in using it as a term to belittle, insult or demean someone else. Not just other board members, but people.

If people insist on using terms to insult others, or repeated uses for shock value, then we will have to continue to expand the filter. Before long, it will be like the mothership and we'll be taking about Asterisk LeBeau.
After what happened in Vegas, I think it’s a good example we all need to treat each other a little better. Because treating each other like crap hasn’t gotten us a very good world to live in.
The article is ********.

They are those kids who ride on the smaller school bus. The ones who have personal space, proximity issues. The ones who talk funny. The ones with flat faces. The ones who drool. The ones who talk to themselves. And most importantly, many of those with intellectual disabilities are defenseless to this word.

Other populations that have been used by the users have and do include: blacks, Jews, homosexuals, lesbians, Italians, Latins, the Irish and women, just to name a few.

Who calls mentally ******** people "********" to their faces? Who on this board has ever called a person with mental abililties a "******" to their faces?

What a surprise the author compiles a list of "victims". Surely a lib.
There's a good chance that most of us who have used the word, used it against another whitey or a whitey friend in jest.

The notion that those  populations have been stigmatized as being ******** is a big fat lie..

Well, respectfully using the shortened version of any word isn't derogatory at all. And the same people who were up in arms probably sending you Guys PM's also got upset at _____. Which should easily explain that they don't care about the words they care more about trying to control.
(10-03-2017, 11:26 PM)Vlad Wrote: The article is ********.

They are those kids who ride on the smaller school bus. The ones who have personal space, proximity issues. The ones who talk funny. The ones with flat faces. The ones who drool. The ones who talk to themselves. And most importantly, many of those with intellectual disabilities are defenseless to this word.

Other populations that have been used by the users have and do include: blacks, Jews, homosexuals, lesbians, Italians, Latins, the Irish and women, just to name a few.

Who calls mentally ******** people "********" to their faces? Who on this board has ever called a person with mental abililties a "******" to their faces?

What a surprise the author compiles a list of "victims". Surely a lib.
There's a good chance that most of us who have used the word, used it against another whitey or a whitey friend in jest.

The notion that those  populations have been stigmatized as being ******** is a big fat lie..

It's John C McGinley, the actor best known for playing Dr. Cox in scrubs. I don't know his political views, but he's the father of a child with down syndrome and is a spokesman for a national down syndrome group. 

He isn't saying those other groups were called "********", he is saying that the groups at some point in time have been used as an insult. "Gay" acts as an insult by many. Calling someone a "woman" or a "jew" is still an insult many use. The point being that you're suggesting there's something wrong with the original population and calling someone else by their name insults the them both.

Whether or not someone here has used the word to someone with an intellectual disability's face, I don't know. Some here have suggested they would have no problem with it because it makes people tougher apparently. 

I just assumed not being horrible people was a nonpartisan thing, but apparently this is all liberal mumbo jumbo.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(10-04-2017, 08:57 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It's John C McGinley, the actor best known for playing Dr. Cox in scrubs. I don't know his political views, but he's the father of a child with down syndrome and is a spokesman for a national down syndrome group. 

He isn't saying those other groups were called "********", he is saying that the groups at some point in time have been used as an insult. "Gay" acts as an insult by many. Calling someone a "woman" or a "jew" is still an insult many use. The point being that you're suggesting there's something wrong with the original population and calling someone else by their name insults the them both.

Whether or not someone here has used the word to someone with an intellectual disability's face, I don't know. Some here have suggested they would have no problem with it because it makes people tougher apparently. 

I just assumed not being horrible people was a nonpartisan thing, but apparently this is all liberal mumbo jumbo.

That's the whole argument about being "politically correct" and how it is ruining, uh, life?  A certain segment of America NEEDS to use insult and slurs.  Otherwise they feel less American I guess.

Anyway, I agree with you that not being a horrible person should be something we can all push for and think is a good thing.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(10-04-2017, 08:57 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It's John C McGinley, the actor best known for playing Dr. Cox in scrubs. I don't know his political views, but he's the father of a child with down syndrome and is a spokesman for a national down syndrome group. 

How on God's green earth is woman an insult?

And really Jew for that matter.... these are words that describe someone. We can't go through life just saying person. We wouldn't be able to tell any story involving more than Two people.

OK I stand corrected...thought this author had really gone off the deep end.
(10-04-2017, 09:11 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: How on God's green earth is woman an insult?  

And really Jew for that matter....    these are words that describe someone.  We can't go through life just saying person.   We wouldn't be able to tell any story involving more than Two people.

Its the use of the word as a derogatory term, its transformation into a derogatory word ...you woman.  j/k .LOL   The Ravens played like a bunch of women against the Steelers.
You drive like a woman.

"The dude is successful at business, must be an effing Jew"

Same goes with ********.