Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What are you most disappointed it 1st presason
I didn’t get to watch. Did Carman not impress? Who else got snaps at LT, Volson? Did he play any better or show that he could improve?
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 01:49 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Carman needs work still.

Carman is another high o-line draft pick who is becoming another bust. I don’t understand how we can miss on these picks so often. We make great decisions on every position but o-line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 12:11 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote:  im a patient person when it comes to Oline improving but i agree.. when two lineman that you have had on this team for 2 plus years play that bad.. wow.. coaching staff ie Pollack can you hear me.. come on man..:)
Dont blame Pollack even though the line has sucked for over 2 yrs. Besides, he gives good interviews and everyone loves him. Cool
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2022, 11:33 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Without a doubt it the continued bad play off our oline..our draft picks from last year and before just have not improved.. and way too many penalties ... figured they would show improvement especially against 2nd team defense but nope...

The former starters on the offensive line looked awful against current backups.  Just not getting it.  I don't care how much you worked on your body in the offseason, if you don't understand leverage, technique, and aggression, you will never make it in the NFL. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Two main ones for me - Carman and Ossai. Carman in particular was quite bad. There was several occasions I saw where he was being bullied into the backfield, another one where he was put into a spin cycle by an inside stunt. According to PFF, he had a 13% pressure rate last night along with the penalty. To put that into perspective, the worst pressure rate for a guard last season was 9%.

Ossai was just quiet and uninspiring. I've been cautious with him since we have only had a small sample size and it looks like cautious is still advised.

Thad Moss SUCKS. I never thought otherwise but man is he bad.
Reply/Quote
Penalties, penalties & more penalties. Poor o-line play stood out again. Cardinals came to play & our Bengals did not.

Glad it was a pre-season game.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 02:59 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: B Allen 6 year vet got every snap he wanted in training camp so far and was trash. 

3-3 for 29 yards is trash?

Typical bong logic.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 09:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The former starters on the offensive line looked awful against current backups. 

What "former starters" played on the O-line last night.  None of those guys have ever been anything but back ups who only "started" due to injury.  Those do not qualify as "former starters".
Reply/Quote
Part of the blame also belongs on the coaches running WAY too vanilla a scheme on both sides of the ball even for backups. It sets them up to fail as the opposing defense doesn't have to do any reading or diagnosing - anyone can see the play coming. But even with that the second string OL got dominated by backups. Penalties were also a big problem but mostly it was plain jane bad technique by Prince, Adeniji and yes Carman.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 10:20 AM)fredtoast Wrote: What "former starters" played on the O-line last night.  None of those guys have ever been anything but back ups who only "started" due to injury.  Those do not qualify as "former starters".

Jackson carman?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 10:35 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Jackson carman?

He only started last year because Su'a-filo got injured.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 11:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He only started last year because Su'a-filo got injured.

Forgot all about that dude. I had high hopes for him. WTS, it's usually a good thing to have backups with starting experience and we have plenty, but I didn't see the "good thing" last night. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I think overwhelmingly it was the play of Carman and the OL. Penalties were a bright spot last year so you have confidence that gets better. But the backup OL play after bringing in an assistant to help Pollard sure is worthless. Geez frustrating. However like our DL backups
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
1. Carman
2. Jackson Carman
3. Our second round draft choice last year

Unless that was Aaron Donald he was trying to block
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 09:44 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Two main ones for me - Carman and Ossai. Carman in particular was quite bad. There was several occasions I saw where he was being bullied into the backfield, another one where he was put into a spin cycle by an inside stunt. According to PFF, he had a 13% pressure rate last night along with the penalty. To put that into perspective, the worst pressure rate for a guard last season was 9%.

Ossai was just quiet and uninspiring. I've been cautious with him since we have only had a small sample size and it looks like cautious is still advised.

I was wondering during the game if Ossai was even out there. He made no impact. Now I’m hearing he was in fact playing. I saw some of the other dlineman looking decent though.

Carmen has not earned a spot on the team yet. Definitely not encouraging going against backups and he’s supposed to be a starter.

The cardinals looked like a deeper/more talented team without the starters playing. I do think our starters are better than theirs though.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 10:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: 3-3 for 29 yards is trash?

Typical bong logic.

It’s not all stats. He didn’t look comfortable. The offensive line looked atrocious—so I don’t blame him necessarily. But I thought the next qb in there was able to escape the rush better and get the ball downfield. I thought he looked better than Allen because he didn’t seem to panic as much. But I don’t know who had better stats.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 10:20 AM)fredtoast Wrote: What "former starters" played on the O-line last night.  None of those guys have ever been anything but back ups who only "started" due to injury.  Those do not qualify as "former starters".

Carmen and adeniji have been starters for us in recent history. Even prince started for us at some point.

Prince and adeniji looked like they didn’t belong on a roster, playing against backups. That should tell you everything you need to know.

We need a vet that can backup both tackle spots.

We need more competition at LG.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 09:44 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Two main ones for me - Carman and Ossai. Carman in particular was quite bad. There was several occasions I saw where he was being bullied into the backfield, another one where he was put into a spin cycle by an inside stunt. According to PFF, he had a 13% pressure rate last night along with the penalty. To put that into perspective, the worst pressure rate for a guard last season was 9%.

Thanks for the pressure rate stats on Jackson.  I don't care how much glass he eats or how dirty his neck is, this deflated the hype we heard in his improvement.  He may make the back end of the roster, but we still need to add a vet.
Reply/Quote
Tycen Anderson he was absolute trash and a waste of a 6th round pick
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 01:39 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Tycen Anderson he was absolute trash and a waste of a 6th round pick

Holy christ it was his first preseason game ever lmao
Reply/Quote