Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What are you most disappointed it 1st presason
(08-13-2022, 10:38 PM)Synric Wrote: Jackson Carman wasn't a reach he was a late second early third projection. 

From my collection of draft placements when  I researched it after he drafted him the majority  put him 3rd round to early 4th. Rarely did I see him placed  before middle of 2nd round ie 46 pick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 10:20 AM)fredtoast Wrote: What "former starters" played on the O-line last night.  None of those guys have ever been anything but back ups who only "started" due to injury.  Those do not qualify as "former starters".

Hakeem Adeniji, Isiah Prince, and Jackson Carman were all starters for the Bengals last year.  The Bengals team that played in the Super Bowl.  The word "starters" means they started the game.  They didn't come in during scrub time. Yes, they were forced in due to injuries but they were, in fact, starters for a lot of the season and they played like crap against backups.  
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2022, 12:13 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: From my collection of draft placements when  I researched it after he drafted him the majority  put him 3rd round to early 4th. Rarely did I see him placed  before middle of 2nd round ie 46 pick.

Absolutely false. He was consistently in the 2nd - 3rd round range, with PFF probably being the highest at 48.

Reply/Quote
Nothing much disappointed me.
Dax belongs in the NFL and was a worthy first round talent, great to know considering Bates unfortunate contract problems. That is huge for this team.

Carmen continues to disappoint with mental miscues. Volson looked to me to have a stronger understanding of what he was trying to do out there. It’s early so Carmen will get more and tougher tests before the panic button is pushed.

Some defense rookies played well.
Chris Evans deserves more playing time.

Carmen is now their focus to fix. Will be interesting if Volson gets more time with the 1’s.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2022, 12:13 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: From my collection of draft placements when  I researched it after he drafted him the majority  put him 3rd round to early 4th. Rarely did I see him placed  before middle of 2nd round ie 46 pick.

Wrong. Most people were saying the back injury will push him into the 3rd but after his solo work out right before the draft pushed him back up the draft boards. His draft status was less about talent and performance and more about injury and maturity.

Jackson Carman was the 2nd or 3rd highest rated guard in a deep class. People forget he is an exceptional athlete that is a former 5 star recruit the preformed at a high level in the most important games in college football. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
There's a difference between losing (which in preseason means little) and HOW you lose. They looked unprepared to play football, committed scads of bonehead penalties and on defense seemingly completely forgot how to play contain on mobile QBs - after last season putting on a clinic for the league on the right way to do it.

Individual players stood out well but the overly vanilla schemes and the undisciplined play made the game not very fun to watch. I know Zac has tried to run a physically easier preseason but after this performance I would lay it out - the easier preseason is based on them doing their part. If they don't then preseason gets VERY hard.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2022, 12:27 PM)Synric Wrote: Wrong. Most people were saying the back injury will push him into the 3rd but after his solo work out right before the draft pushed him back up the draft boards. His draft status was less about talent and performance and more about injury and maturity.

Jackson Carman was the 2nd or 3rd highest rated guard in a deep class. People forget he is an exceptional athlete that is a former 5 star recruit the preformed at a high level in the most important games in college football. 

Right. I remember seeing some claim he was the 2nd best OG prospect after AVT.

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2022, 12:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Absolutely false. He was consistently in the 2nd - 3rd round range, with PFF probably being the highest at 48.
lie lie lie.. at best 3rd round from what i saw.. not upper 2nd... but that is past history, he sure is not playing like what we would expect from 46 pick in draft.. but im sure you will deflect as you normally do..  Hilarious moving on from your chatter
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2022, 12:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Right. I remember seeing some claim he was the 2nd best OG prospect after AVT.

I put Landon Dickerson at number 2 but most people rated him as a center only. Dickerson went one pick before the Bengals traded back into the second round to the Eagles. If you count Dickerson and Leatherwood as guards Carman was the 5th guard taken with 3 of 5 going before the Bengals picked. Aaron Banks went before Carman but I dont think he played.

Very few players performed at a high level after Dickerson was taken. Samuel Cosmi and Creed Humphrey were about the only two.... maybe Spencer Brown.

Edit: Offensive Line is one of the more difficult positions to project not just for draftniks and draft analysts but also NFL Teams.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2022, 12:43 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: lie lie lie.. at best 3rd round from what i saw.. not upper 2nd... but that is past history, he sure is not playing like what we would expect from 46 pick in draft.. but im sure you will deflect as you normally do..  Hilarious moving on from your chatter

Synric is one of the most knowledgeable draft guys on this board, and he literally just told you the same thing I did.

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2022, 12:43 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: lie lie lie.. at best 3rd round from what i saw.. not upper 2nd... but that is past history, he sure is not playing like what we would expect from 46 pick in draft.. but im sure you will deflect as you normally do..  Hilarious  moving on from your chatter

There's a sippy tit. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2022, 01:35 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: There's a sippy tit. 

And this is why you’re in the HoF. LOL

Reply/Quote
NFL.com had him 3rd Round.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jackson-carman/32004341-5219-8645-d8f8-13f7e39c03a5

PFF 2nd.

Interestingly, if you correlate these all...probably 60 players have a 1st Round grade and like 100 have a 2nd Round grade somewhere.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2022, 02:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: NFL.com had him 3rd Round.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jackson-carman/32004341-5219-8645-d8f8-13f7e39c03a5

Great link.  The video at the bottom has an analyst saying the Bengals should take Carman with pick #31.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2022, 12:49 PM)Synric Wrote: I put Landon Dickerson at number 2 but most people rated him as a center only. Dickerson went one pick before the Bengals traded back into the second round to the Eagles. If you count Dickerson and Leatherwood as guards Carman was the 5th guard taken with 3 of 5 going before the Bengals picked. Aaron Banks went before Carman but I dont think he played.

Very few players performed at a high level after Dickerson was taken. Samuel Cosmi and Creed Humphrey were about the only two.... maybe Spencer Brown.

Edit: Offensive Line is one of the more difficult positions to project not just for draftniks and draft analysts but also NFL Teams.

I was a big fan of some dude named Trey Smith. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2022, 11:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: They were both sixth round picks.  If every coach who does not turn 6th round picks into solid starters is a bum then every O-line coach in the league is a bum.

That's a fair point. But that's probably why people are freaking out a bit. These guys might not be starters but there probably gonna be counted on a some point. So if they are progressing maybe we should be looking to add some one for depth. But it's early and maybe the team will.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2022, 04:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I was a big fan of some dude named Trey Smith. 

Yea forgot about Trey Smith I usually forget about one late round guy lol. 

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2022, 04:59 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: That's a fair point. But that's probably why people are freaking out a bit. These guys might not be starters but there probably gonna be counted on a some point. So if they are progressing maybe we should be looking to add some one for depth. But it's early and maybe the team will.

I am one of the people calling for us to sign some better depth.
Reply/Quote