Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What can Bengals do now to make fans happy about 2019 offseason?
I don't see many fans excited with the FA plan thus far in 2019. What moves could be made between now and season with trades or signings to get the excitement back some felt when new coach was hired?

Would Dennard back help at the right piece? Trades are rare in the NFL, but a trade possibly? Players on the roster now that need to go? How do the Bengals get the fan mojo back?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
If they shipped Dalton that would be huge because it would guarantee we’re tanking and get us more assets for the rebuild. Andy will win us too many games like 5-7 which won’t secure a top 3 pick. We should be dumping older stars at this point bc our window passed and we’re delaying the inevitable
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
Move. That is the feeling I get from most of the posts I read.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 12:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't see many fans excited with the FA plan thus far in 2019. What moves could be made between now and season with trades or signings to get the excitement back some felt when new coach was hired?

Would Dennard back help at the right piece? Trades are rare in the NFL, but a trade possibly? Players on the roster now that need to go? How do the Bengals get the fan mojo back?

There are still several big name FA's out there that seemed to have missed the boat on the big money that Mikey could land relatively cheap.  
Reply/Quote
I don't know that there's any 1 move that will make the offseason successful at this point.

Upgrading the offensive line and LB were the priorities.

They spent a lot of money to bring Hart, Miller, Hopkins, Redmond, and Preston Brown back.

There were guys like LJ Fort that signed for $2 million a year. Now free agency is picked over in large part.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 12:37 PM)Whatever Wrote: There are still several big name FA's out there that seemed to have missed the boat on the big money that Mikey could land relatively cheap.  

Who specifically are you looking at?
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 12:33 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: If they shipped Dalton that would be huge because it would guarantee we’re tanking and get us more assets for the rebuild. Andy will win us too many games like 5-7 which won’t secure a top 3 pick. We should be dumping older stars at this point bc our window passed and we’re delaying the inevitable

Don't think a total tanking rebuild is necessary. The last few years teams with mediocre records have made the playoffs. Heck, even last year with our record, we were statistically in it up until the final 2-3 games. WTS, I understand we don't want to be just a wildcard team, but it's a great place to be after a regime change. Also, trying a full rebuild may take many years just to get to where we are now. We have some positions to address but are far from a rebuild imo.

Reply/Quote
What they've done well so far:
Replaced Marvin
Replaced Haslett
Cut Burfict

What they didn't do well:
Passed on JDR and ended up with Anarumo instead after weeks of swinging (and missing) for DCs
Replaced Pollack with Turner for OL coach
Re-signed Hart to a decent-sized contract

What can they do to make fans happy again?
Sign Zach Brown. There aren't many good LB FAs remaining now, but he's probably the best that could be added at this point.
Nail the draft with players who can play well in Year 1. The previous regime had a tendency to draft players that either performed poorly within the first few years if given opportunities early or didn't even see the field much until year 3-4 outside of ST.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Hire a real GM.

Reply/Quote
How about wait until the off season is actually over to decide if your happy or not.....
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 12:58 PM)sandwedge Wrote: How about wait until the off season is actually over to decide if your happy or not.....

Sounds very reasonable.  Or, even better still, see the team on the field first.

But these days, that is just not how it's done.  Everybody with a keyboard is now not only an excellent analyzer but also an excellent seer of the future and reader of strangers' minds.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 12:58 PM)sandwedge Wrote: How about wait until the off season is actually over to decide if your happy or not.....

So you want to close this board until preseason?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 12:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What they've done well so far:
Replaced Marvin
Replaced Haslett
Cut Burfict

What they didn't do well:
Passed on JDR and ended up with Anarumo instead after weeks of swinging (and missing) for DCs
Replaced Pollack with Turner for OL coach
Re-signed Hart to a decent-sized contract

What can they do to make fans happy again?
Sign Zach Brown. There aren't many good LB FAs remaining now, but he's probably the best that could be added at this point.
Nail the draft with players who can play well in Year 1. The previous regime had a tendency to draft players that either performed poorly within the first few years if given opportunities early or didn't even see the field much until year 3-4 outside of ST.

Very level headed and well presented post.

I agree with all of it, although I'd add getting Uzo back was a good move, and Preston Brown.....Eifert being a wild card.

EDIT:....and upgrading Redmond was a move I liked too.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Nothing, because half the "fans" aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 12:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't see many fans excited with the FA plan thus far in 2019. What moves could be made between now and season with trades or signings to get the excitement back some felt when new coach was hired?

from my times on the board...

It doesn't matter what they do..

Someone will still be here crying like mike brown just slapped their mom
Reply/Quote
Letting Marv probably brings a few fans back. But the truth is, it will take winning to really make a difference. A flashier off season might have helped a little but I gotta believe the fan base is in a pretty hardcore show me on the field place right now.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
It's the offseason...You dont win in the offseason.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 01:23 PM)Wyche Wrote: Very level headed and well presented post.

I agree with all of it, although I'd add getting Uzo back was a good move, and Preston Brown.....Eifert being a wild card.

EDIT:....and upgrading Redmond was a move I liked too.

I should have put "meh" moves as well.
I would put Preston Brown, Uzomah, Eifert, and Miller all in that category. They weren't bad moves, but they weren't good either IMO.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'm starting to have concerns that the Shula and Klingler combination will be able to consistently win. I'm still waiting and seeing. Maybe Klingler will make a comeback?
Reply/Quote

Same frame of mind I am in. Some opinions on many of these threads are similar to the Salem witch trials. New regime has not even coached a season yet and are judged on speculation. It's to be expected for sure, since the past some of these coaches bring to the table. But I'm hoping they make a great coaching staff under ZT and become the perfect crew. High expectations I know, but one can hope. Besides, they haven't proven me wrong, just like they haven't proven the naysayers right.  Cool

Reply/Quote