Poll: What would you prefer to do?
Extend AJ Green beyond the Franchise Tag now.
Let AJ Green play with the Franchise Tag
Trade AJ Green for a draft pick, no earlier than #20 overall and no lower than #25 overall (just thinking about the average point value, not the teams picking there)
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you want to do with AJ Green?
I am curious what the majority of the board will choose here.   With Amari Cooper just getting $20 million per year on his new contract, I am assuming Green will want something close to that...$18 million per at a minimum.  I don't know the guaranteed dollars, and I'm sure that would be a sticking point....AJ will obviously want it, and the Bengals would prefer incentives.  Burrow openly campaigned for Green, so there's also that.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I voted to trade Green.  I know there are no guarantees of what would be given in return....However, I am very uncomfortable paying $18 million per to a guy that has had serious health issues and is on the other side of 30.  I would much rather "go young" with a couple draft picks at the position and use those dollars to bolster the LB corps.
Reply/Quote
I voted to let him play before I saw that the trade option was for a first round pick.

If we can get a first round pick for green we should trade him.  He is already at the age where WRs start to decline evennif they are healthy, and Green has been out of action for almost 2 years with injury.

If he was a free agent he would be the kind of guy I would give a one year "prove it deal" for a few million like Eifert got last year.  No way I would pay a guy like that $18 million guaranteed just to see if he can play.

And I have ALWAYS been a big fan of AJ Green.  As a SEC fan I saw him play a lot in college.  Taking him with our first pick in 2011 instead of reaching for a QB changed the course of Bengal history.  And he has been nothing but a class act all the time he was here.  But he is just too old and too injured to get paid that much this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 11:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I voted to let him play before I saw that the trade option was for a first round pick.

If we can get ba first round pick for green we should trade him.  He is already at the age where WRs sdtart to decline evenn if they are healthy, and Green has been out of action for almost 2 years with injury.

If he was a free agent he is the kind of guy I would give a one year "prove it deal" for a few million like Eifert got last year.  No way I would pay a guy like that $18 million guaranteed just to see if he can play.

Which is essentially EXACTLY what the Bengals are doing by franchising him. 
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 11:49 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am curious what the majority of the board will choose here.   With Amari Cooper just getting $20 million per year on his new contract, I am assuming Green will want something close to that...$18 million per at a minimum.  I don't know the guaranteed dollars, and I'm sure that would be a sticking point....AJ will obviously want it, and the Bengals would prefer incentives.  Burrow openly campaigned for Green, so there's also that.  

I'd offer a team friendly 3 year deal for $45m with a few million more guaranteed than his $18m. If it's not team friendly given his injury history/age, I'd make him prove it this year on the tag and try again next year if he bounces back. Eventually it'd be nice if they'd do those 1-2 year deals like Larry Fitzgerald. 
Reply/Quote
I know that it won't be the popular choice, as it is pretty high on the risk factor, but I say sign him to a 3 year deal.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 12:03 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I'd offer a team friendly 3 year deal for $45m with a few million more guaranteed than his $18m.

He has the same guaranteed money now, on a fully guaranteed one year franchise tag.  Why on Earth would he take a 3 year deal with zero increase in guaranteed money?

Essentially, this is a 2 year 27 mil dollar extension with no signing bonus and no guarantees.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 12:46 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: He has the same guaranteed money now, on a fully guaranteed one year franchise tag.  Why on Earth would he take a 3 year deal with zero increase in guaranteed money?

Essentially, this is a 2 year 27 mil dollar extension with no signing bonus and no guarantees.

Reread what you quoted. 
Reply/Quote
I think Bengals have to keep Green on a 3-4 year deal. Ross is probably gone. If Ross gets an ingrown fingernail, he will probably sit out for 3 games. Ross is the fastest man in the NFL but I don't know, maybe Burrow will make it click. He is just so injury prone.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I'd trade him, and even for a lot less than what was presented.

Get that money off the books, and use it to frontload an extension for Mixon. With the extra pick and #33, go WR and LB.

There's some great WRs in this class, who can step in immediately and help you build long term. AJ Green does nothing to help Burrow in 2022 and beyond, and he's not putting us over the hump this year into a ring.

Lock up Mixon, get younger, and start building for the future. Make it a truely New Day.
Reply/Quote
Well I voted to let him play with the tag this season. If we extend Green he would most likely get about what the tag would pay him anyway this coming season. If we were"guaranteed" a first round pick for him I would jump on it, but I don't see that as a possibility for the lack of production the last two seasons. My belief is the team tagged AJ to get him and his agent to the bargaining table to work out a new contract. I do have a question though, if the team and AJ do not come to an agreement can he be tagged more than one season? In other words can players be tagged in back to back seasons?
Reply/Quote
What I want to do with AJ Green is have him over for brisket and beer and talk some football lol.

If he agreed to sign a fair deal, I'd give him a 3 year deal. If he wants Amari Cooper money, I'd say peace out.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 11:49 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am curious what the majority of the board will choose here.   With Amari Cooper just getting $20 million per year on his new contract, I am assuming Green will want something close to that...$18 million per at a minimum.  I don't know the guaranteed dollars, and I'm sure that would be a sticking point....AJ will obviously want it, and the Bengals would prefer incentives.  Burrow openly campaigned for Green, so there's also that.  

My thoughts too. He just too old and too unreliable at this point in his career to invest a lot of money in. I love the guy and he has been one of the best Bengals in my lifetime, but all good things must come to an end.
Reply/Quote
Grab a coffee, maybe lunch. Then have him sign 50 or so posters I can eBay to pay for a new car.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 12:51 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think Bengals have to keep Green on a 3-4 year deal.    Ross is probably gone.  If Ross gets an ingrown fingernail, he will probably sit out for 3 games.   Ross is the fastest man in the NFL but I don't know, maybe Burrow will make it click.  He is just so injury prone.

But AJ has missed more games than Ross the past couple of years.  Dude was just out an entire season with an ankle sprain.  I don't think ponying up huge money for an injury prone WR is a good plan to deal with another injury prone WR.
Reply/Quote

What I want to do is keep him cause Burrow wants us to keep him. But it has to take into account his injuries and his age.

Cooper doesn't have these problems going for him.

I don't see us getting a 1st round or even 2nd round pick for AJ especially this year with no workouts.

No one knows as much about him as our staff does.

If he is 100%, sign him to a 3 year deal that takes into account all of this. Would be better for all IMO.

Then Draft his replacement since Ross hasn't panned out yet and Boyd is not a true #1 outside Receiver.
Reply/Quote
play for the tag. What he has done in the past is past. New QB and if the Bengals play well ,Green will want to sign long term. He has NOT done a thing for us in a while, so put up or shut up. Paying these players long term is where teams get into trouble!!
These times call for tougher measures and most teams are rent a team anyway!

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 03:04 PM)RASCAL Wrote: play for the tag. What he has done in the past is past. New QB and if the Bengals play well ,Green will want to sign long term. He has NOT done a thing for us in a while, so put up or shut up. Paying these players long term is where teams get into trouble!!
These times call for tougher measures and most teams are rent a team anyway!

I just don't want to see AJ sitting on the bench all year for 18 mil doing nothing...

This would suck royal ass.
Reply/Quote
AJ Green? Make him play. It’s a make or break season; put up or shut up.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 12:55 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'd trade him, and even for a lot less than what was presented.

Get that money off the books, and use it to frontload an extension for Mixon. With the extra pick and #33, go WR and LB.

There's some great WRs in this class, who can step in immediately and help you build long term.  AJ Green does nothing to help Burrow in 2022 and beyond, and he's not putting us over the hump this year into a ring.

Lock up Mixon, get younger, and start building for the future. Make it a truely New Day.

Agree 100% as long as we are not talking about crazy money for Mixon.  He is very good, but he is not Zeke or Derrick Henry.  4 year $35 million makes him the 5th highest paid RB in the league by yearly average, and he will just be 27 on the final year of that deal.

Mixon is one of only three RBs to have over 1100 yards each of the last two years, and we got that production for less than $800K a year.  We owe the man.
Reply/Quote