Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Brown doesn't care about you...
(12-21-2016, 06:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: He fired Wyche too......then called it a resignation.  That deal was why they didn't speak for years.

True true. I count that as the beginning of the Mikey era, and boy did he start it off with a bang. Firing a good coach. Then he had a choice between Dave Shula and Bill Cowher and made the choice based on who he could relate to more. 

For the sake of my previous post, I didn't count Wyche because I don't feel he canned Wyche for reasons that were entirely performance related. Almost seemed like Mike wanted to make his own stamp on the franchise or butted egos with Wyche, although admittedly I'm not totally sure what went down there.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 11:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: True true. I count that as the beginning of the Mikey era, and boy did he start it off with a bang. Firing a good coach. Then he had a choice between Dave Shula and Bill Cowher and made the choice based on who he could relate to more. 

For the sake of my previous post, I didn't count Wyche because I don't feel he canned Wyche for reasons that were entirely performance related. Almost seemed like Mike wanted to make his own stamp on the franchise or butted egos with Wyche, although admittedly I'm not totally sure what went down there.

I always felt it was ego related.....and Sam felt he knew better about personnel decisions....but I was kind of young at 15.  Shula over Cowher was just as stupid.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 11:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: True true. I count that as the beginning of the Mikey era, and boy did he start it off with a bang. Firing a good coach. Then he had a choice between Dave Shula and Bill Cowher and made the choice based on who he could relate to more. 

I'll never forget reading Paul Brown's biography where this gem came up:

Mike went to see Paul (it wasn't long before Paul passed away) and decided to talk to Paul about this young college QB named David Klingler. Paul told him to stayed away from Klingler because there was something about him that Paul didn't like.

Whatever

Later we get to hear from Mike Brown, "David Klingler is the QB you'd least like to face in 10 years."

Whatever
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 02:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Spot on for the most part. Now this doesn't mean coaches never get it wrong or that fans are never right, but yeah I can see HCs having that mentality...and with good reason. With Mike Brown, I partially think he stubbornly wants to prove he was right, but I also think winning is just a secondary priority to him. Because of what happened to his father 50+ years ago, he's made it his life mission to be overly loyal to coaches. To give them the support he feels his father never got from Modell.

Little did we know, the very thing that enabled the Bengals to exist (the firing of Paul Brown) would come to be the thing that hindered them for 3 decades and counting. In a 26 year span with 0 playoff wins, Mike has fired exactly 2 head coaches. That's unbelievable. The only coach he fired in a timely manner was DlCK Lebeau. Dave Shula was given so much leash that he was able to break the record for quickest to 50 losses. Coslet quit when he should've been canned, and obviously Marvin has had at least 3 points where a reasonable organization would've fired him.

He's also only fired one offensive coordinator his entire time here. Bob Bratkowski.
Granted, Ken Anderson was demoted from OC, but remained on the team.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Dig in for the long haul, Bengals fans. If Mike Brown has had any influence on whoever takes over when he's done, you are in for another couple decades of the BS you've been watching since '92 when that inept, under-qualified farce of an owner took control of the local team. 

Katie, Paul or whoever takes charge will have to go completely against what Mike has done, or hope that some of Paul Srs genes have flooded their pool above Mike's, in order for this team to have any hope of ever competing for an NFL championship.

Think about that. 20 more years of what you've been experiencing for the last 24 years. 

Fabulous! amirite??!!

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Maybe one of Katie's daughters will know what to do.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2016, 10:14 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: Maybe one of Katie's daughters will know what to do.

Hmmm. Looks like i better change my prognostication to 40 years...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2016, 05:08 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'll never forget reading Paul Brown's biography where this gem came up:

Mike went to see Paul (it wasn't long before Paul passed away) and decided to talk to Paul about this young college QB named David Klingler. Paul told him to stayed away from Klingler because there was something about him that Paul didn't like.

Whatever

Later we get to hear from Mike Brown, "David Klingler is the QB you'd least like to face in 10 years."

Whatever

According to Hobson, Mike "couldn't resist Klingler when Shula's reports told him klingler would be close to Troy Aikman and Dan Marino."  (should've listened to Paul!)

Two years later, Klinlger had a total QBR of 66.5 and Shula was 8-24. Seeing these results, Mike still gave Shula a 2 year extension.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2016, 04:38 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: According to Hobson, Mike "couldn't resist Klingler when Shula's reports told him klingler would be close to Troy Aikman and Dan Marino."  (should've listened to Paul!)

Two years later, Klinlger had a total QBR of 66.5 and Shula was 8-24. Seeing these results, Mike still gave Shula a 2 year extension.  Mellow

It's hard to be the son of a Great Man.  That's a huge burden to bear.  What better way to lighten that load then to hire and then confide in Dave Shula, the son of another Great Man.

We probably came this close to having Frank Sinatra Jr. as a head coach.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2016, 04:59 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: It's hard to be the son of a Great Man.  That's a huge burden to bear.  What better way to lighten that load then to hire and then confide in Dave Shula, the son of another Great Man.

We probably came this close to having Frank Sinatra Jr. as a head coach.

When it comes to criticism from fans and the media, Mike said "I'm used to it. I've been criticized for 30 years."

That quote was from 1997!   Say What
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2016, 05:40 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: When it comes to criticism from fans and the media, Mike said "I'm used to it. I've been criticized for 30 years."

That quote was from 1997!   Say What

Which means that he's been criticized since 1967, when his father started putting together a football franchise in Cincinnati. The pieces are coming together.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote