Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is up with our passing game?
The past two games the coaches have been hand cuffing Dalton, just like they did last year. Its either a five yard out/quick slant or a 60 yard bomb down the sideline where only the receiver has a small chance of getting it.

When the Bengals were down in the second half, that's when they finally unleashed him. He was throwing the ball down the middle of the field/all over the field, hitting different receivers, and looked great.

Not sure what the hell is going on with our offense lately. Lets stop trying to be too cute and let Andy do his thing.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
The offensive line has been exposed. That's what's happened.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
All of the third and long and second and long plays killed us it was amazing we converted the ones we did. I don't know if I saw anything that made me thing the passing game was out of sorts as much as the penalties and pass protection.
Reply/Quote
I didn't have time to go back and rewatch the game, but is it mainly the RT? We had Winston last week getting tossed around like a bag of chips and Andre drawing some penalties this week. And just generally playing sloppy.

I thought Bodine looked good and the rest of the line looked fine, but we were getting pressured on Andre's side, making Dalton either move out of the pocket or throw left.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 12:31 PM)Benton Wrote: I didn't have time to go back and rewatch the game, but is it mainly the RT? We had Winston last week getting tossed around like a bag of chips and Andre drawing some penalties this week. And just generally playing sloppy.

I thought Bodine looked good and the rest of the line looked fine, but we were getting pressured on Andre's side, making Dalton either move out of the pocket or throw left.

Andre not only drew penalties, pass rushers were blowing by him (specifically thinking of the sack that resulted in the Dalton fumble).  The penalties and sacks really hurt... Collinsworth even said "doesn't it seem like the Bengals have been in second and 25 at least 6-7 times".
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 12:34 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Andre not only drew penalties, pass rushers were blowing by him (specifically thinking of the sack that resulted in the Dalton fumble).  The penalties and sacks really hurt... Collinsworth even said "doesn't it seem like the Bengals have been in second and 25 at least 6-7 times".

I don't know if he's playing injured or playing Andre or if other teams are just focusing on that spot as our weak link. Whatever it is, it's been working in both our losses. We keep getting pressured on that side and we aren't setting up plays on the left/middle well enough to compensate.
Reply/Quote
We've had issues with WRs getting separation last two games....and the o line has struggled, we can't run either. We always seem to struggle against the Texans for some odd reason, and AZ is good. That said, these receivers gotta find ways to beat "the press", and Paul Alexander needs to hit the damn bricks.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 12:52 PM)Wyche Wrote: We've had issues with WRs getting separation last two games....and the o line has struggled, we can't run either.  We always seem to struggle against the Texans for some odd reason, and AZ is good.  That said, these receivers gotta find ways to beat "the press", and Paul Alexander needs to hit the damn bricks.

I would change that to "Jeremy Hill can't run".  I know he had two touchdowns last night, but they totaled three yards.  I don't know how many times he gets to the hole and just seems to stop.  The difference with him in the game versus Gio is enormous.
Reply/Quote
Like someone else said, the Oline played like crap. There's only so many routes you can run when you have to get rid of the ball in 1.5 seconds. That said the blocking schemes were pretty shitty too. It was a combo of bad blocking matchups and poor performance by the Oline.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 12:31 PM)Benton Wrote: I thought Bodine looked good and the rest of the line looked fine, but we were getting pressured on Andre's side, making Dalton either move out of the pocket or throw left.

Bodine completely whiffed on a sack or TFL. I just remember the replay showing the play from behind and the DT just swats Bodine to the side.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 12:31 PM)Benton Wrote: I didn't have time to go back and rewatch the game, but is it mainly the RT? We had Winston last week getting tossed around like a bag of chips and Andre drawing some penalties this week. And just generally playing sloppy.

It's not just Andre. Whitchworth got burned a couple of times too. Also, Arizone was bringing multiple guys to blitz and we just didnt have enough people to block them. 

How the coaches dont make an adjustment on that is beyond me. Run a screen, run blitz, or max protect. I mean cmon, I was feeling sorry for Dalton at one point. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
WHATS WRONG WITH THE PASS PROTECTION??? is the real issue here
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 12:55 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I would change that to "Jeremy Hill can't run".  I know he had two touchdowns last night, but they totaled three yards.  I don't know how many times he gets to the hole and just seems to stop.  The difference with him in the game versus Gio is enormous.

Bernard gets loose here and there due to his shiftiness and the ability to "get lost in the pile"....but he has been hit for losses and short gains most of the time too.  The fact that our pounder can't get going points to an o line problem to me....

Reply/Quote
The O-line

Smith was getting beat like a drum, Whit gave up a sack, so did Zeitler I believe. Playing behind the chains with the penalties is a part of it. A.J. Green's inability to get separation when playing physical corners is a part.

Andy has been a tick off these past two games, inaccurate deep balls and many high throws - some due to pressure.

Biggest problem though is have to stop shooting self in foot with one hundred yards a game in penalties !
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 01:32 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It's not just Andre. Whitchworth got burned a couple of times too. Also, Arizone was bringing multiple guys to blitz and we just didnt have enough people to block them. 

How the coaches dont make an adjustment on that is beyond me. Run a screen, run blitz, or max protect. I mean cmon, I was feeling sorry for Dalton at one point. 

I was really surprised last night with the playcalling. I kept saying "here comes the screen" and... we'd try a mid-long pass. Didn't make sense considering the blitz.

I don't know if it was Dalton or Hue with the playcalling. But it could've been better.
Reply/Quote
I think last night was a clear example of a QB/HC combo that has a short memory, versus one that has a long memory. For good or ill I don't think Dalton and Marvin can treat each drive like it's the first and shake off past mistakes. Palmer and Arians can dial up a dog of in INT or two and keep taking shots as if nothing happened where Dalton and Marvin are less head-scratchingly stupid with the ball BUT let past mistakes get in their heads.

That's my take. It's a GOOD thing that Dalton doesn't often have to play from 2 INTs down like Palmer did, but I don't trust Dalton and Marvin's psychological ability to keep taking those shots to dig out of the hole.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 01:26 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Bodine completely whiffed on a sack or TFL. I just remember the replay showing the play from behind and the DT just swats Bodine to the side.

Teams can attack us in the A-gap.
Steelers did it.
Houston did it.
Arizona did it.

Blame goes on Andre because, people still harbor deep seeded resentment for him, and the sack-fumble was a terrible play...but the bigger concern all game was our C/RBs inability to stop the A-gap attacks. 
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 01:57 PM)Wyche Wrote: Bernard gets loose here and there due to his shiftiness and the ability to "get lost in the pile"....but he has been hit for losses and short gains most of the time too.  The fact that our pounder can't get going points to an o line problem to me....

Sounds like an excuse for Hill, per usual for some of the forum members here. 
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Actually Bodine got abused all game, and let in unblocked rushers multiple times. Andre also got abused and Boling had a bad game too. In Boling's defense this was his first bad outing this season.

Teams are starting to tee off on the big issues we have at Center.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 03:06 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Sounds like an excuse for Hill, per usual for some of the forum members here. 

Well....you're wrong.  I couldn't care any less about which player does what.  All I care about is Ws.  Jeremy Hill is not as elusive as Giovanni Bernard, and that is a fact.  He is not as short as Giovanni Bernard, and is therefore easier for LBs to find in traffic...Fact.  Hill requires bigger holes to get through the line, that's a fact.  The opinion is whether to blame the o line or the back.  I've seen Gio get stuffed some too, but his elusiveness and stature has helped squeeze through tiny openings and turn negatives into positives.  He is running better than Hill, but I don't think it's all on Hill.  Especially after the last two weeks.

Reply/Quote