Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will next Tuesday bring?
(11-02-2018, 09:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Tried to move this into folks giving updates about their races, unfortunately, it has turned into how bad the GOP is and how stupid their voters are.

AKA: PnR

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(11-02-2018, 09:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Tried to move this into folks giving updates about their races, unfortunately, it has turned into how bad the GOP is and how stupid their voters are.

Don't know how you missed this one.

(11-02-2018, 12:36 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Dems pulling the big bow and arrows out for their Gov. candidate here in Ohio. Chief Elizabeth Warren was in Columbus last night campaigning for him.

Oh wait, never mind.  Yes I do.

Smirk
(11-02-2018, 02:37 PM)Benton Wrote: At least for Kentucky, I think the Republican approach to taxes are going to hurt them. State GOP lawmakers keep bragging they cut taxes, but they offset that charging new taxes on services and goods, increasing the burden on lower/middle class.

(11-02-2018, 02:50 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The tax cut isn't popular because middle and lower income folks haven't seen any real effect. That's why there isn't a ton of GOP messaging about it. 

(11-02-2018, 03:14 PM)Benton Wrote: In Kentucky, they changed tax rates around so that it lowered taxes on the top 5 percent of earners and offset it with new taxes on bottom earners, and sales taxes. It was a hike on 95% of the state, according to modest estimates. But they those lawmakers up for reelection are sticking with "we lowered taxes." At least at the federal level, Republicans are (mostly) saying "hey, look at this historic tax reform" without being too specific that it was just a break for top earners.

(11-02-2018, 05:47 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think one of the most frustrating bit of messaging we see is the lie that Democrats support open borders. There is not a Democrat running that supports open borders. There is support for enforcing our immigration laws, but that includes processing asylum claims rather than turning people away and ignoring their plight. If someone lacks a legitimate asylum claim then they should be returned, but instead of sending troops to the border, we should be allocating resources to the people processing these claims so that they can be processed quickly and effectively. The end result is the same but it is a more compassionate one. The whole fear mongering over immigration is annoying and dishonest, but it works on Republican voters as evidenced in the polls so it's what they'll do.

/rant

(11-02-2018, 06:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And how many people know that ICE does not have anything to do with securing the border.

A good reason given for reducing funding for ICE is to increase funds for border security, but 90% of Republicans have no clue.

So, which part are you refuting?

That the GOP's tax cuts, by and large, didn't cut many taxes outside of top earners? Or that GOP candidates often run on the message that Democrats are running on an open border platform... even though that's not true? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-05-2018, 03:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't know how you missed this one.

Oh wait, never mind.  Yes I do.

Smirk

Most likely because it doesn't paint a voter base as ignorant. You know, the point my post was referring to?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-05-2018, 04:41 PM)Benton Wrote: So, which part are you refuting?

That the GOP's tax cuts, by and large, didn't cut many taxes outside of top earners? Or that GOP candidates often run on the message that Democrats are running on an open border platform... even though that's not true? 

Pretty much the post that started with the GOP being dishonest about the border situation and the assumption that the GOP base is so gullible that they eat it up. And the reply further stating the GOP base is clueless.

Those and others  had no place in a thread about general election results IMO, but what do I know? I'm sure you'll keep them focused. 

(11-05-2018, 02:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: AKA: PnR

Well no one can say I didn't try, but we can't have nice things. 

(11-05-2018, 05:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Most likely because it doesn't paint a voter base as ignorant. You know, the point my post was referring to?

So claiming they were "pulling out big bows and arrows" is not a dig at them?
(11-05-2018, 05:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So claiming they were "pulling out big bows and arrows" is not a dig at them?

It was a dig at Warren.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(11-05-2018, 05:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So claiming they were "pulling out big bows and arrows" is not a dig at them?

Where did I say it wasn't a dig? But it was more of a dig at EW that the voting base. I said it wasn't an insult to an entire voting base. 

It helps when you use the actual words I use. 

(11-05-2018, 05:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well no one can say I didn't try,

I can.   You jumped in here attacking people for picking on Republicans and completely ignored the jokes pointed at the Democrats.

Look, we all know which side everyone is on around here.  It is really sad that you keep trying to act like you are a centrist peace maker.  You once accused me of being a pedophile because I disagreed with you about letting kids use curse words.
(11-05-2018, 05:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I can.   You jumped in here attacking people for picking on Republicans and completely ignored the jokes pointed at the Democrats.

Look, we all know which side everyone is on around here.  It is really sad that you keep trying to act like you are a centrist peace maker.  You once accused me of being a pedophile because I disagreed with you about letting kids use curse words.

Thanks for the explanation. Dang me and my unwarranted "attacks.

(11-05-2018, 05:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Where did I say it wasn't a dig? But it was more of a dig at EW that the voting base. I said it wasn't an insult to an entire voting base. 

It helps when you use the actual words I use. 

It helps if you say what you really mean.  In this case that would be.

"Tried to move this into folks giving updates about their races and insulting democratic leaders, unfortunately, it has turned into how bad the GOP is and how stupid their voters are."

See, if you say what you REALLY MEAN then there won't be all these misunderstandings about having nice things like a thread where people could insult Democrats but not Republicans.
(11-05-2018, 05:21 PM)Millhouse Wrote: It was a dig at Warren.

Sorry, I id not realize that when Bfine said "good things" he meant threads where people could insult Democrats but not Republicans.
(11-05-2018, 05:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Pretty much the post that started with the GOP being dishonest about the border situation and the assumption that the GOP base is so gullible that they eat it up. And the reply further stating the GOP base is clueless.

Those and others  had no place in a thread about general election results IMO, but what do I know? I'm sure you'll keep them focused. 

Messaging impacts results. That is the messaging we are seeing and the polling shows that when the Republican candidates stick with that messaging it means better numbers for them and brings their base back to them. If you have a problem with it, then talk to your fellow Republicans. If you don't understand the connection between dishonest messaging being believed and election results, then I can't help you.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Here is a neat guide to watching the results roll in, tomorrow: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/2018-election-polls-close/
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-05-2018, 05:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Pretty much the post that started with the GOP being dishonest about the border situation and the assumption that the GOP base is so gullible that they eat it up. And the reply further stating the GOP base is clueless.

The GOP being dishonest about the border situation shouldn't detect from the fact that the GOP has been dishonest about the border situation. GOP party leaders and — in this election cycle anyway — candidates regularly criticize Democrats for being in favor of open borders... even though I think it would be hard to find many Democrats in favor of loosening immigration regulations. Even a fairly partisan poll I saw only had about a third of sitting Democrats in favor of "essentially" open borders. On top of that, illegal aliens account for roughly 3% of the population... but according to the GOP, the crappy economy is largely due to... illegal immigration.

I don't think it's fair to say Republican voters are clueless for being Republican voters, but it is fair to say voters believing illegal immigration is the No. 1 problem facing our country are clueless.
(11-05-2018, 06:42 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Here is a neat guide to watching the results roll in, tomorrow: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/2018-election-polls-close/

I believe I used their site to track the 2016 results too.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-05-2018, 06:12 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Messaging impacts results. That is the messaging we are seeing and the polling shows that when the Republican candidates stick with that messaging it means better numbers for them and brings their base back to them. If you have a problem with it, then talk to your fellow Republicans. If you don't understand the connection between dishonest messaging being believed and election results, then I can't help you.

I'll not ask for your help. Feel free to slur any population you choose. 

Management is down with it. 

(11-05-2018, 07:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'll not ask for your help. Feel free to slur any population you choose. 

Management is down with it. 

Don't you do the exact same thing when you claim democrats are ignorant (Minorities too stupid to see that Democrats are doing them more harm than good)?

And WTF do you mean by "management is down with it?"

Are you trying to play your little victim card again?
(11-05-2018, 07:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't you do the exact same thing when you claim democrats are ignorant?

And WTF do you mean by "management is down with it?"
Sure. Any examples of me claiming the Democratic voting base is ignorant? 

Bottom line this was a thread about races that will be decided tomorrow, but folks could not refrain from the desire to call the other side ignorant; simply because their views are different. There are plenty other threads to call the other side ignorant.

Feel free to call any group ignorant, racist, bigoted, ect.... Just don't say things such as DemoRATS or libTARDS and you'll be OK.