Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you like to happen?
(01-03-2023, 12:10 PM)Cincybearcatfan Wrote: After thinking about it more, I think the NFL should cancel everyone's week 18 game and allow the Bengals and Bills to make up their game next weekend. That way everyone would have played 16 games and it allows every team to be equally affected by this tragedy.

a lot of teams with shots at the playoffs would disagree
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:19 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If every Division and seed was set, then they could cancel the last game. There is a lot riding on the outcomes of some of those games.

There's a lot riding on the Bengals and Bills games as well. Canceling everyone's week 18 would make sure that everyone was treated the same. Otherwise the Bengals and Bills are punished for something that's outside of their control.
Reply/Quote
I seen this online.

https://twitter.com/2MelissaHolmes/status/1610227452852441089?s=20&t=7ZkjVu6GSVFjo2KEq_J2zw
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:14 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'm not sure the NFL is willing to put the villain mask on that abrasively. Forcing a grieving team to pick between playing when they're not ready or a loss would be universally panned across the NFL and country. You saw the backlash that occurred when the announcer said they were going to give the teams 5 minutes to warm up and then the NFL back pedaling, swearing they definitely didn't give that order, scout's honor.

A tie primarily screws over the Bengals and Bills, as the Bills would lose the #1 seed and the Bengals would be locked into the #3 seed (Unless Buffalo loses to New England in week 18). It technically screws over the Ravens too, but they'd be cast as villains if they protested, especially since they were likely to lose against us anyway since Lamar still isn't practicing and Harbaugh said he doesn't know if he'll practice this week either. It seemed to me like they were setting up to just rest Lamar until the playoffs anyway, so any protest from them would definitely come off as bad faith and an attempt to turn a tragedy into a gain for them, which would not be received well.

Honestly, I think the most fair outcome would be to just award the win to the Bengals, as I said in my 2nd option (forfeit due to injury), but the optics on that aren't great either.

No one wins in this scenario but I think the least damaging outcome overall is either a tie or a Bengals win.

If you are going to award an outcome, win, loss or tie.. it can’t be a tie. The score wasn’t tied. In order for it to be a “tie” you either give the bills points or remove bengals points.

Resume or No contest, that’s your options. No contest is a bad precedent, for the NFL and all sports. Yes, this is terribly unfortunate… but going forward, do we do a no contest with a player tearing ACL? Concussions… the list goes on.

Postponing the game was the correct call last night, but at some point they need to resume.

A different sport, NASCAR, saw dale sr (RIP) die and they finished the race, albeit it was at the end, so not exactly apples to apples.

Dave pollack broke his neck, game resumed. Ryan shazier was paralyzed and play resumed. This is a brutal sport, and this is unprecedented. I’m glad im not responsible for making this impossible call.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: a lot of teams with shots at the playoffs would disagree

Absolutely.

Titans, win and in.
Pats, win and in.
Packers, win and in.

Probably the silliest recommendation I’ve seen.

A no contest only really effects 4 teams. Chiefs/bills/bengals/ravens. Two of which are playing the game.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:23 PM)Cincybearcatfan Wrote: There's a lot riding on the Bengals and Bills games as well. Canceling everyone's week 18 would make sure that everyone was treated the same. Otherwise the Bengals and Bills are punished for something that's outside of their control.

So, if we were playing for the Division next week, and someone playing in a game out in California got hurt, would you be good with them cancelling our last game and just giving away our shot at the Division? You can't do that to teams that have played a whole season and coming right down to it are looking at Championships games. People really need to get a grip. Stephen A Smith is talking about Hamlin like he's already passed. He's still alive.... 
Reply/Quote
Everyone wants the best for Hamlin. A life is more important than a game. 

With that being said, every single player knows they are suiting up for something that puts their life on the line on every single snap. This is a multi-billion dollar industry. As harsh as it is, the players need to process it as best they can and continue. 

Chris Henry wasn't on the field but he did die and the Bengals were expected to process it and continue the season. Jovan Belcher killed someone then himself at the teams complex a day before a scheduled game. Jerry Brown died in a car crash the day before the Cowboys played in Cincinnati. Those game were played on schedule. There is a long list of players that have passed during the season from one thing or another and it's tragic, but the games still go on. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:46 AM)BengalBob Wrote: There is a bye week between conference championship games and the SB.  Eliminate it.  Push the start of the playoffs back one week and make up the Bengals/Bills game on the original wild card weekend.  It gets all games in and would be fair to everyone.

This is THE.ONLY.CORRECT.DECISION.  Which means, it likely won't be the decision made by the NFL.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 08:52 AM)Browns Town Bengal Wrote: Or a no contest.  As if the game never happened.  That might be the only way they can solve this with no teams looking like the victim or villain.  

This is a very sensitive situation right now,as emotions are high,and people are very sensitive to this young man,as they should be.But,what if we get good news within the coming hours that he’s recovered,and is going to be OK.
I would hold off on making a decision right now if I were the league,in hopes of getting more updates,(hopefully positive), on this young man condition.
They of course need to be very careful how they handle this.

With that said,at this point,unless something changes,I would have to agree with you on “No Contest”,,”As if the game never happened.”
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:28 PM)Science Friction Wrote: This is THE.ONLY.CORRECT.DECISION.  Which means, it likely won't be the decision made by the NFL.

I agree with that.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: So, if we were playing for the Division next week, and someone playing in a game out in California got hurt, would you be good with them cancelling our last game and just giving away our shot at the Division? You can't do that to teams that have played a whole season and coming right down to it are looking at Championships games. People really need to get a grip. Stephen A Smith is talking about Hamlin like he's already passed. He's still alive.... 

I think you're missing the point that I'm making. If the NFL is one big family as we're told then one tragic event hurts all members of the family. The easiest way to fix this is to cancel week 18 for everyone based on tragic circumstances. It sucks for everyone. The Bengals would have no chance at a #1 seed because KC would have it handed to them. The Bills would be the #2 or #3 which is still the most likely outcome if they lost anyway. They could still get the #1 if they won the replay of our game.

For teams who are on the bubble (Pittsburgh, Miami, New England), it would suck but it would suck equally for everyone. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:32 PM)Cincybearcatfan Wrote: I think you're missing the point that I'm making. If the NFL is one big family as we're told then one tragic event hurts all members of the family. The easiest way to fix this is to cancel week 18 for everyone based on tragic circumstances. It sucks for everyone. The Bengals would have no chance at a #1 seed because KC would have it handed to them. The Bills would be the #2 or #3 which is still the most likely outcome if they lost anyway. They could still get the #1 if they won the replay of our game.

For teams who are on the bubble (Pittsburgh, Miami, New England), it would suck but it would suck equally for everyone. 

This is not going to happen. Out of the many options on the table, no way 15 owners are going to give up the revenue… much less the tv deals
In place.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:30 PM)packerbacker Wrote: I agree with that.

Absolutely the best possible way to go, if they are open to it.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:32 PM)Cincybearcatfan Wrote: I think you're missing the point that I'm making. If the NFL is one big family as we're told then one tragic event hurts all members of the family. The easiest way to fix this is to cancel week 18 for everyone based on tragic circumstances. It sucks for everyone. The Bengals would have no chance at a #1 seed because KC would have it handed to them. The Bills would be the #2 or #3 which is still the most likely outcome if they lost anyway. They could still get the #1 if they won the replay of our game.

I think push week 18 back a couple weeks. This young mans life is more important.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:50 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They are going to 100% have to finish the game.

There are just too many things on the line and implications to call it a "no contest". Division titles, seeding, home field, MONEY, etc.

When and how they replay it is the big question. I am a little confused on why the Bills were so quick to get out of dodge last night. That seemed like a rash decision while things were trying to be worked out.

Bills don't want to play this game. They gain by a no contest; lose, by playing. If left up to Buffalo, they will never play it. Why would they? They were gonna drop from #1 to #3 after last night.  A no-contest and they stay #1 .  Play the damn game! Either tomorrow or week after next. If the Bills say , "we can't" , then give them the L.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:34 PM)samhain Wrote: Absolutely the best possible way to go, if they are open to it.

I agree.
Reply/Quote

Again, you act like the young man is already dead. There's no way they are cancelling a week of football. The amount of money lost would be astounding, not only for the players, teams, league, etc., but for restaurants, vendors, parking, hotels, etc. The number of people that would affect is huge.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:37 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Again, you act like the young man is already dead. There's no way they are cancelling a week of football. The amount of money lost would be astounding, not only for the players, teams, league, etc., but for restaurants, vendors, parking, hotels, etc. The number of people that would affect is huge.

At no point in my suggestion to cancel week 18 did I ever assume or insinuate Damar passed away. That's a moot point. Whether he's alive or dead has no bearing on what I'm suggesting. Why do you keep bringing that up? My suggestion is the most equitable outcome for every NFL team.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 11:24 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Not sorry in the sense that the Bengals did something. More of a "Sorry the game could not be finished". 

It isn't fair... Fairness often times isn't actually fair. And I meant that if the Bengals agreed to a tie would be "In the interest of fairness" because their opponent couldn't finish the contest. That isn't me talking or insinuating that's the right outcome, but that's for the Bengals to determine.

To me, the Bengals should get the win, regerdless of the score - of which they were on the right side of that as well. Frankly, sitting there live, I thought it looked like the Bengals were about to hang 40+ on the Bills. Players were getting open and the Bengals were playing so physical that I was in shock. From jump street the Bengals were there to send a message and beat the brakes off the Bills.

It is horroble that happened. I hope Hamlin can come to and live a 100% normal, full, productive life and is well compensated for what happened to his career. Competitively, the Bengals should get the W by all rights.

Good post. Bengals would have won by 3 TDs or more. Bills should be given a chance to finish the game. If they decline, they must forfeit.  
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:40 PM)Cincybearcatfan Wrote: At no point in my suggestion to cancel week 18 did I ever assume or insinuate Damar passed away. That's a moot point. Whether he's alive or dead has no bearing on what I'm suggesting. Why do you keep bringing that up? My suggestion is the most equitable outcome for every NFL team.

Because if he walks out of the hospital in a couple of days cancelling the last week of the season is going to seem pretty silly.
Reply/Quote