Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you like to happen?
(01-03-2023, 12:34 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Bills don't want to play this game. They gain by a no contest; lose, by playing. If left up to Buffalo, they will never play it. Why would they? They were gonna drop from #1 to #3 after last night.  A no-contest and they stay #1 .  Play the damn game! Either tomorrow or week after next. If the Bills say , "we can't" , then give them the L.

That’s not true.

Chiefs would still be ahead of them with a 13-3 record vs 12-3-1.

The bills would get the 2 and bengals locked in at 3.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
First and foremost the NFL is about profit and market share.. It's never been about touchy feely until last night for some reason I don't understand. Horrific injuries have always been a part of it. Hell, they used to bash each others brains in till someone came up with the bright idea of helmets..They were still beating the crap out of each other when the AFC was founded.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:06 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The more I think about it the more I think that this just doesn't happen. This would **** so many teams over. You think the Ravens owners wouldn't have something to say about this? It basically hands Cincy the division, a home playoff game, and millions of dollars in revenue. 

There is just no way that they can't NOT play this game. Too many things involved. The NFL needs to schedule it and if Buffalo doesn't want to play, they always have the option to forfeit. 

If this is not what GODell decides to do, I've watched my last game.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:34 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Bills don't want to play this game. They gain by a no contest; lose, by playing. If left up to Buffalo, they will never play it. Why would they? They were gonna drop from #1 to #3 after last night.  A no-contest and they stay #1 .  Play the damn game! Either tomorrow or week after next. If the Bills say , "we can't" , then give them the L.

Depends how it's done no? If it's a NC and no account is made for this game, then the Bills end up 13-3, KC 14-3... KC have more wins and a better win%. The Bills need to win this game in any scenario for #1.

What do you do if the Bengals say 'we can't' play this game right now? There's a real ignorance here as to how ready the Bengals are to suit up. I am definitely not for sending the Bengals out there for this game if our guys aren't psychologically ready. It isn't just Buffalo who will be hit hard by this.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Because if he walks out of the hospital in a couple of days cancelling the last week of the season is going to seem pretty silly.

It's not silly if you're looking at timelines. Everyone saying push games back a week is implausible. You can't just move things back a week or two and figure everything is going to work. Of course it's not going to work. Hotels have been booked. Have you ever tried to move your vacation a week and been told, "Oh, I'm sorry we have a convention in town that weekend, we're all booked up.". Now imagine doing that with 16 NFL teams, their equipment managers, family, etc. CAN NOT HAPPEN. So here are your options:

1. Call the game a no contest for the Bengals and Bills making their season 16 games instead of 17 which penalizes those two teams more than the other 30.

2. Call the game a tie giving both the Bengals and Bills 1/2 win and 1/2 loss which penalizes those two teams more than the other 30.

2. Give the Bengals the win since they were winning at the time of the stoppage. That is unfair to the Bills who didn't plan for a 10 minute game and who would have most certainly have gone for a touchdown instead of a field goal had they known that information.

3. Push the Bengals and Bills game back and then squeeze in their week 18 games later next week. Again, that scenario punishes both the Bengals and Bills more than anyone else and endangers their players heading into the playoffs by forcing them to play without sufficient rest.

4. Push week 18 for everyone which is impossible.

5. Cancel week 18 for everyone and allow the Bengals and Bills to make up this game on Monday which affects all 30 teams the same.

Which makes the most sense and is the most plausible?
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:47 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Depends how it's done no? If it's a NC and no account is made for this game, then the Bills end up 13-3, KC 14-3... KC have more wins and a better win%. The Bills need to win this game in any scenario for #1.

What do you do if the Bengals say 'we can't' play this game right now? There's a real ignorance here as to how ready the Bengals are to suit up. I am definitely not for sending the Bengals out there for this game if our guys aren't psychologically ready. It isn't just Buffalo who will be hit hard by this.

I hear you. However… many players play games with personal tragedy all around them. Often times the games (distraction) are a way to feel “normal”, if only for a brief period of time.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 08:47 AM)QueenCity Wrote: NFL will get killed no matter what they do. It's going to be unfair for Buffalo, Cincinnati and all the W/C teams.

Best case scenario is they play Wednesday and then reschedule this weeks games to Monday. Short week going into the playoffs 1 less day to prepare.

I can also see the following scenarios but the NFL will get crushed

1. Bengals win based on score of 7-3 Bengals.
2. Bills "forfeit"
3. Tie (which doesn't benefit anyone but KC also screws with the Wildcards)

The problem with rescheduling the Ravens game to Monday is the CFP championship game. If they decide that route it would have to be an afternoon game to avoid that conflict.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:52 PM)cinci4life Wrote: The problem with rescheduling the Ravens game to Monday is the CFP championship game. If they decide that route it would have to be an afternoon game to avoid that conflict.

I don’t think the NFL cares about the CFp.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:50 PM)Cincybearcatfan Wrote: It's not silly if you're looking at timelines. Everyone saying push games back a week is implausible. You can't just move things back a week or two and figure everything is going to work. Of course it's not going to work. Hotels have been booked. Have you ever tried to move your vacation a week and been told, "Oh, I'm sorry we have a convention in town that weekend, we're all booked up.". Now imagine doing that with 16 NFL teams, their equipment managers, family, etc. CAN NOT HAPPEN. So here are your options:

1. Call the game a no contest for the Bengals and Bills making their season 16 games instead of 17 which penalizes those two teams more than the other 30.

2. Call the game a tie giving both the Bengals and Bills 1/2 win and 1/2 loss which penalizes those two teams more than the other 30.

2. Give the Bengals the win since they were winning at the time of the stoppage. That is unfair to the Bills who didn't plan for a 10 minute game and who would have most certainly have gone for a touchdown instead of a field goal had they known that information.

3. Push the Bengals and Bills game back and then squeeze in their week 18 games later next week. Again, that scenario punishes both the Bengals and Bills more than anyone else and endangers their players heading into the playoffs by forcing them to play without sufficient rest.

5. Cancel week 18 for everyone and allow the Bengals and Bills to make up this game on Monday which affects all 30 teams the same.

Move bills bengals to this week. Push back all the playoffs a week, and have no week off before Super Bowl.

Pats/bills and bengals ravens on WC weekend.

That’s all that you can do.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:44 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: That’s not true.

Chiefs would still be ahead of them with a 13-3 record vs 12-3-1.

The bills would get the 2 and bengals locked in at 3.

Correct.  My bad.   A tie should absolutely not be an option, btw.  It wasn't a tie.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:50 PM)Cincybearcatfan Wrote: It's not silly if you're looking at timelines. Everyone saying push games back a week is implausible. You can't just move things back a week or two and figure everything is going to work. Of course it's not going to work. Hotels have been booked. Have you ever tried to move your vacation a week and been told, "Oh, I'm sorry we have a convention in town that weekend, we're all booked up.". Now imagine doing that with 16 NFL teams, their equipment managers, family, etc. CAN NOT HAPPEN. So here are your options:

1 makes the most plausible, they can still base records off winning percentage in division and conferences.. the trauma, and timeline i feel the NFL will see is too much to reschedule this game and will declare it a no contest, this actually benefits the Bengals for the Division and still keeps Bill in line for 1st place and maybe us for 2nd place if Bills lose and Bengals win this weekend depending on tiebreakers
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:53 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I don’t think the NFL cares about the CFp.

You damn well know they wouldn't schedule it at the same time.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:53 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Move bills bengals to this week. Push back all the playoffs a week, and have no week off before Super Bowl.

Pats/bills and bengals ravens on WC weekend.

That’s all that you can do.

Or the following week.   You're right, this is all that can be done. Which is why they will probably do something else.
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:57 PM)cinci4life Wrote: You damn well know they wouldn't schedule it at the same time.

I hope you are kidding me. The NFL gives ZERO care to any other league. If that is the only way to keep the schedule moving forward, that’s what they will do. They would not play a Monday afternoon game. Maybe Tuesday night, with the following week (WC weekend) having games on Sunday/Monday and then resuming normal playoffs after.
Reply/Quote
I think the best option is to postpone all games this next weekend until the following weekend and only play the Bills vs Bengals game this weekend. Then the following week, all week 18 games would be played as normal. What a mess and there's no easy fix. Whatever the league decides there will be a lot of angry people out there because I don't know how Goodell and cia can fix this without leaving someone mad. Gambling, people who booked flights next week, NFLPA, CBA... good luck.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:00 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Or the following week.   You're right, this is all that can be done. Which is why they will probably do something else.

Eh, I think the league would rather have two games, rather than just one… from a revenue standpoint.

“Only” having 15 games, and not 16 this week wouldn’t be noticed (ravens and patriots getting essentially a “bye”)
Reply/Quote
Push/reschedule only the 4 teams that are involved in this.

1. Use Thursday night as a continuance for this game and have Tuesday for CIN-BAL and BUF-NE
2. If BUF is unable/unwilling to continue after a certain amount of time, then BUF should forfeit
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:50 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I hear you.  However… many players play games with personal tragedy all around them.   Often times the games (distraction) are a way to feel “normal”, if only for a brief period of time.

Oh absolutely. I don't disagree at all. We might find the players are more than willing to go again tonight. If we ask.

I'm just pointing out that assumptions are being made here. Lot of people on this board currently signing up the Bengals behalf to send them out there for a potential game. Lots of people saying the Bills aren't ready they can forfeit. Nobody here has a clue as to who's ready or not. The Bengals could be less ready mentally than the Bills for all we know. Maybe we should check with the teams first. That's what the NFL will be up to right now.
Reply/Quote
What do you guys think the NFL should do about how to play this game?
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:09 PM)packerbacker Wrote: What do you guys think the NFL should do about how to play this game?

There are three threads that probable have dozens of different ideas. I would recommend reading through those different threads for thoughts and opinions.
Reply/Quote