Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Whats the minimum you will be satisfied with in FA
The Carmen miss was huge.

We drafted him fully expecting him to start by week 8 imo

Him being pure ass was a surprise and wasn’t supposed to happen. I think we wanted Carmen and Reiff on that right side going into the playoffs
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 03:08 PM)Housh Wrote: The Carmen miss was huge.

Him being pure ass was a surprise and wasn’t supposed to happen. I think we wanted Carmen and Reiff on that right side going into the playoffs

It was easy to see though. As a Tackle, he struggled some in college. So they drafted him and expected him to learn a new position and improve?

Not likely. That's a low percentage ask. It was a big reach pick.
Reply/Quote
Let's do what the Rams did while Burrow is on his rookie contract.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

If the rumors of Mike Brown forcing the Carmen’s pick (with Alexander’s endorsement) are true that just adds to my desire that he get out of the way totally.
Reply/Quote
as for me, i don't think any of these oline goofballs need to be anything but backups. Get a new line totally. yeah right!

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 04:47 PM)RASCAL Wrote: as for me, i don't think any of these oline goofballs need to be anything but backups. Get a new line totally. yeah right!

Jonah would be my only keeper

He’s definitely one of the best 32 LTs in the league. I can make a case no one else is comfortably top 32 at their position
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 04:49 PM)Housh Wrote: Jonah would be my only keeper

He’s definitely one of the best 32 LTs in the league. I can make a case no one else is comfortably top 32 at their position

I tend to agree about Jonah. Some people are looking at PFF and freaking but I noticed something weird. They seem to have taken sacks the coaches attributed to backs/TE and/or Burrow and assigned them to linemen for some reason. This is the big drawback with PFF - without knowing the called play and assignments the stats and ratings lose accuracy
Reply/Quote

The 1 name that leaps out is Creed Humphrey. I was so hyped for him that when he wasn’t drafted by us I was super bummed and disappointed, but understood and was hopeful.

Just think if they had 2 more slam dunk drafts in back to back years the first 2 rounds at least. Humphrey is going to be an all pro.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 04:59 PM)Joelist Wrote: I tend to agree about Jonah. Some people are looking at PFF and freaking but I noticed something weird. They seem to have taken sacks the coaches attributed to backs/TE and/or Burrow and assigned them to linemen for some reason. This is the big drawback with PFF - without knowing the called play and assignments the stats and ratings lose accuracy

I actually see the opposite sometime too. I see them assign sacks to Burrow and not our lineman. It's hard to say.

I don't think it's 100% accurate. But, I don't think it's as inaccurate as some on the board make it out to be.

A lot of fans see a splash play. Like Carman pancaked that guy! He had a great game. They don't see the 5 plays where he gives up pressure, etc.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 05:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I actually see the opposite sometime too. I see them assign sacks to Burrow and not our lineman. It's hard to say.

I don't think it's 100% accurate. But, I don't think it's as inaccurate as some on the board make it out to be.

A lot of fans see a splash play. Like Carman pancaked that guy! He had a great game. They don't see the 5 plays where he gives up pressure, etc.

The problem is if you don't know what the play and assignments were you don't know who should get the plus/minus. We saw it and the coaches even pointed it out a couple of times on each side where (for example) Carman released a rusher because Perine was supposed to pick them up but he didn't. PFF assigned the pressure to Carman but the coaches assigned it to Perine. The same thing happened with Jonah and Mixon and that was a sack that PFF laid on Jonah but the coaches said it was Mixon because the play called for a handoff to a chip and Mixon did not chip.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 12:33 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I agree with a lot of what people on here are saying. Go get James Daniels at Right Guard, go get Trent Brown at Right Tackle, Kick the tires at least on Connor Williams for Left Guard and bring in a starting caliber CB. I like Donte Jackson for age and experience but I could see them going after someone older if the money is too high for a younger guy. A Richard Sherman or Casey Heyward could be an option. Give me at least 2 upgraded starters on the Offensive Line and a starting CB and I will be satisfied. They do more than that even better.

I doubt they spend that much. And they don’t need too. But Cincinnati is a great destination for some 30 year olds with kids starting school or early grade school level. Throw in Burrow and title chances and you might steal some Free Agents.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 04:59 PM)Joelist Wrote: I tend to agree about Jonah. Some people are looking at PFF and freaking but I noticed something weird. They seem to have taken sacks the coaches attributed to backs/TE and/or Burrow and assigned them to linemen for some reason. This is the big drawback with PFF - without knowing the called play and assignments the stats and ratings lose accuracy

According to Olinestats.com. Jonah William's gave up 8 sacks and 42 pressures in the regular season and 2 sacks 9 pressures in the post season.

I thought he was very inconsistent all year in both pass protection and run blocking. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 05:00 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: The 1 name that leaps out is Creed Humphrey. I was so hyped for him that when he wasn’t drafted by us I was super bummed and disappointed, but understood and was hopeful.

Just think if they had 2 more slam dunk drafts in back to back years the first 2 rounds at least. Humphrey is going to be an all pro.

I too wanted Creed there. Couldn’t believe we passed on him (once as 38 and again at 46).

In fact that once of the deepest and most talented OL drafts in history we took a 2nd, 4th and 6th rounders and basically got zero production. JB didn’t need that. Carman was pretty much off my radar and as usual for the Bengals, he was injured. Don’t take trench players who haven’t completely shown to be beyond the back issues(see the Bears and Jenkins).

Smith was an okay pick but is strickly a development pick. JB didn’t need that.

Hill was the worst pick of all. Injured and not a scheme fit at all. JB didn’t need that.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 05:07 PM)Joelist Wrote: The problem is if you don't know what the play and assignments were you don't know who should get the plus/minus. We saw it and the coaches even pointed it out a couple of times on each side where (for example) Carman released a rusher because Perine was supposed to pick them up but he didn't. PFF assigned the pressure to Carman but the coaches assigned it to Perine. The same thing happened with Jonah and Mixon and that was a sack that PFF laid on Jonah but the coaches said it was Mixon because the play called for a handoff to a chip and Mixon did not chip.

That’s a fair point. But their overall numbers are pretty darn close to what scouts mostly say and my own eyes tell me. PFF is good, not great. I really object to people (mostly DB’s) saying they are worthless.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 05:15 PM)Synric Wrote: According to Olinestats.com. Jonah William's gave up 8 sacks and 42 pressures in the regular season and 2 sacks 9 pressures in the post season.

I thought he was very inconsistent all year in both pass protection and run blocking. 

I think they source from PFF?
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 04:49 PM)Housh Wrote: Jonah would be my only keeper

I think you meant OTs? Lol... otherwise best 32 LTs isn't a good thing at all. That's an entire league worth of backups included. Lol

I think it's pretty clear that Jonah will be an okay LT, but I still don't see any top level ceiling from him. I think you keep him for the next two years (4th year and 5th year option) and then consider looking for an upgrade, but I think as long as you go about fixing everywhere else you can happily live with him as your 4th best OL (or ideally 5th). It's just that right now when he's currently your best OL that it's severely a problem.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 05:15 PM)Synric Wrote: According to Olinestats.com. Jonah William's gave up 8 sacks and 42 pressures in the regular season and 2 sacks 9 pressures in the post season.

Jonah has been inconsistent. He has missed 16 games in his short career, had played with two OL coaches and the whole line has been a jumbled mess his 3 years here. I think the future is bright for him. Not top 5 bright but top 10 bright. Replacing even an “average” LT is not easy (as some suggested).
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 02:54 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: We will have to wait and see. I can hope they go out and sign 2 starting OL then pick the best G/T/C/DB at pick 31. They have a lot of money and there are a few good OL in FA that could come in and start right away, and there will be guys they could pick at 31 that could start and make an impact too.

Some, but I don't have confident there will be that many. Maybe I'm devaluing this class though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 05:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Some, but I don't have confident there will be that many. Maybe I'm devaluing this class though.

Great class for Right Tackles honestly. 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 05:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Some, but I don't have confident there will be that many. Maybe I'm devaluing this class though.

I think you are. Brandon Thorn comparison:

2021:

36 round 1-4 grades
26 round 1-3 grades
15 round 1-2 grades
7 round 1 grades

So far in 2022:

29 round 1-4 grades
25 round 1-3 grades
12 round 1-2 grades
5 round 1 grades
Reply/Quote