Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where's DennyG
CINNwillWin, I think too many people take the team and message boards too personally. For me it's just a game that really doesn't affect my life for better or worse either way. I really try to avoid going overly negative towards the team, individual players or members of the board. Occasionally I'll let things get to me, but overall I have much better things to do with my time than to sit and post stuff that isn't going to change the team one way or another. 
Now the league is another story I believe is corrupt to the core, but again..nothing I say or do will change that. There are plenty of people who believe their posts will change things so I'll either read or skip to the next post. The only thing my own rants might change would be myself and even that's questionable.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Where there is money, there is corruption.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 11:57 AM)grampahol Wrote: CINNwillWin, I think too many people take the team and message boards too personally. For me it's just a game that really doesn't affect my life for better or worse either way. I really try to avoid going overly negative towards the team, individual players or members of the board. Occasionally I'll let things get to me, but overall I have much better things to do with my time than to sit and post stuff that isn't going to change the team one way or another. 
Now the league is another story I believe is corrupt to the core, but again..nothing I say or do will change that. There are plenty of people who believe their posts will change things so I'll either read or skip to the next post. The only thing my own rants might change would be myself and even that's questionable.
If you fish without bait you will not catch anything. Except for this one time when I cast out a line with nothing on it. A turtle that we later affectionately named "Snappy" grabbed onto it. I battled it for what seemed eternity. It finally let go when it had seen my determination in my eyes. I only wanted a measly fish but instead I got this damn battle just to preserve my beloved barron hook that no fish would come near. Was it worth it?  I don't know... you be the judge.

End scene/
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 12:17 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: If you fish without bait you will not catch anything. Except for this one time when I cast out a line with nothing on it. A turtle that we later affectionately named "Snappy" grabbed onto it. I battled it for what seemed eternity. It finally let go when it had seen my determination in my eyes. I only wanted a measly fish but instead I got this damn battle just to preserve my beloved barron hook that no fish would come near. Was it worth it?  I don't know... you be the judge.

End scene/

Are you trying to replace me as the designated fisherman during games? LOL
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 01:37 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I'd like to know how did the guy get to ride around with Mike brown and be behind the scenes, like how do you get in there that good, do you have to be rich?  Because the guy comes off as rich.

Also I do not like homers and over positive people. Like a guy on my group said perfectly, does it make you a better fan then me that when we lose, you don't take it as hard as me?  You aren't hurt or mad as me?  And you want nothing less then this team winning something and have some resume to this team that we root for and follow. Cause that's how homers act as it don't effect them.  And they are a real fan cause they only say positive. How is that even possible. Does Cleveland have fans who say that I wonder. I've also been told I must not have a life for caring so much and they are winners in real life, and I must not be. I just don't get it.

(12-31-2016, 10:52 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That 2nd paragraph is some great stuff.

After not winning a playoff game for 26+ years...it blows my mind that the Homers can just say 'We'll get them next year' and shrug it off.

Some just have a little more mature view on a game, and how it affects their lives.
(12-31-2016, 11:57 AM)grampahol Wrote: CINNwillWin, I think too many people take the team and message boards too personally. For me it's just a game that really doesn't affect my life for better or worse either way. I really try to avoid going overly negative towards the team, individual players or members of the board. Occasionally I'll let things get to me, but overall I have much better things to do with my time than to sit and post stuff that isn't going to change the team one way or another. 

^
Like this.
Reply/Quote

(12-31-2016, 12:57 PM)Harmening Wrote: Some just have a little more mature view on a game, and how it affects their lives.

^
Like this.

Well said you two.
Reply/Quote
You think we have it bad? The economy in Pittsburgh is so bad the Steelers had to lay off a few referees.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 01:37 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I'd like to know how did the guy get to ride around with Mike brown and be behind the scenes, like how do you get in there that good, do you have to be rich?  Because the guy comes off as rich.

Also I do not like homers and over positive people. Like a guy on my group said perfectly, does it make you a better fan then me that when we lose, you don't take it as hard as me?  You aren't hurt or mad as me?  And you want nothing less then this team winning something and have some resume to this team that we root for and follow. Cause that's how homers act as it don't effect them.  And they are a real fan cause they only say positive. How is that even possible. Does Cleveland have fans who say that I wonder. I've also been told I must not have a life for caring so much and they are winners in real life, and I must not be. I just don't get it.

Some just feel the need to look down their nose at what they feel are lesser fans (and people) than themselves.

(12-31-2016, 11:39 AM)grampahol Wrote: I have noticed the lack of me getting banned sans Denny.. Ahh..the good old days of getting banned for..well..nothing really.. This is the longest I've ever had the same username with the same email address on any Bengals forum.. Coincidence? I think not. 

Hmm...What was your name(s?) on the old boards? I won't ban you or anything silly. Just curious.

(12-31-2016, 12:57 PM)Harmening Wrote: Some just have a little more mature view on a game, and how it affects their lives.

^
Like this.

Exhibit A...

(12-31-2016, 01:07 PM)Stewy Wrote: Well said you two.

...and B. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 01:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Some just feel the need to look down their nose at what they feel are lesser fans (and people) than themselves.

Someday you'll understand what I'm saying, rather than getting defensive.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 01:59 PM)Harmening Wrote: Someday you'll understand what I'm saying, rather than getting defensive.

I can only aspire to one day be as enlightened and wise as yourself, sir.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 02:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I can only aspire to one day be as enlightened and wise as yourself, sir.

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
The big irony to me was always that IF we won any one of the last 5 playoff games...fans would be on here touting how not signing free agents works and how great the Bengals philosophy is.

It's inevitable that we'll win a playoff game. EVERY NFL Team has won one since we last have. It's remarkable that it's went 26+ years.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 01:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Some just feel the need to look down their nose at what they feel are lesser fans (and people) than themselves.

Hmm...What was your name(s?) on the old boards? I won't ban you or anything silly. Just curious.

Exhibit A...

...and B. 

We tried. We participated in the playoffs! We'll get them next year!

It's kind of funny that the Bengals media arm of the organization actually planted moderators to steer discussion on message boards at some level...and now they have them monitoring other media.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 02:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The big irony to me was always that IF we won any one of the last 5 playoff games...fans would be on here touting how not signing free agents works and how great the Bengals philosophy is.

It's inevitable that we'll win a playoff game. EVERY NFL Team has won one since we last have. It's remarkable that it's went 26+ years.

Those last 26 years are just what the doctor ordered!
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 02:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The big irony to me was always that IF we won any one of the last 5 playoff games...fans would be on here touting how not signing free agents works and how great the Bengals philosophy is.

Yeah, except being stupid in free agency doesn't work and if anything, Mikey Brown has proven that conclusively.

There are many ways to be stupid with free agency:

1. Over paying with big contracts not warranted by the player's existing accomplishments.
2. Ignore system differences where the incoming player doesn't really fit the system but played well in another system.
3. Signing injured players.
4. Letting better players go while keeping lessor talent because they are cheaper to sign. (Salary cap is certainly a constraint here)
5. Ignoring free agency.
6. Low balling own free agents.
7. Signing me first headcases.

Doing free agency right would be more like this: Signing healthy, good players who fit the current system at the going rate who are team players.

Not very complicated really. Coaches have access to a ton of tape on NFL players, more than they have of guys coming out of college and you know the talent level they've played against. I really don't see why free agency isn't considered a more reliable tool for teams than the draft.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 03:37 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yeah, except being stupid in free agency doesn't work and if anything, Mikey Brown has proven that conclusively.

1. Over paying with big contracts not warranted by the player's existing accomplishments.
2. Ignore system differences where the incoming player doesn't really fit the system but played well in another system.
4. Letting better players go while keeping lessor talent because they are cheaper to sign. (Salary cap is certainly a constraint here)
5. Ignoring free agency.

Doing free agency right would be more like this: Signing healthy, good players who fit the current system at the going rate who are team players.

Not very complicated really. Coaches have access to a ton of tape on NFL players, more than they have of guys coming out of college and you know the talent level they've played against. I really don't see why free agency isn't considered a more reliable tool for teams than the draft.

Great post. It's definitely possible to at least occasionally be assertive in FA while also being smart about it.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 03:37 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yeah, except being stupid in free agency doesn't work and if anything, Mikey Brown has proven that conclusively.

5. Ignoring free agency.

Reppity rep rep
Reply/Quote

5. Ignoring free agency.

Dead on man.  People think we just build through the draft, no we don't, we sign the bottom barrel free agents like aj hawk, dansby,even lafell and get them cheap as you can. Then they play no matter what over rooks cause their vets, oh bjge too horrible sign, we neded better. Does the Pittsburgh Steelers run their team like that, nope, they usually play rookies.they don't sign free agents rarely but they play the guys they draft. It can take years for our guys to see the field. Free agency is where we mess up every year. Ironically every year I have been unhappy with free agency, I did have hope for dansby but I was wrong,same with Harrison. 
Reply/Quote

Exhibit A...

...and B. 
Exactly lol now I'm not mature,mature guys don't say nothing
Reply/Quote

5. Ignoring free agency.

Dansby is a great example of #2. (Not that #2, you delinquents).  Dansby comes to the Bengals in what looks like a solid move that utilizes his coverage skills to bolster a team deficiency.  Once here he seemingly is incapable of performing a skill that he was known for throughout his career.  This isn't a Dansby issue, it's a system fit issue.  What ever the Bengals are asking their coverage LB to do seems to be flawed.  Given the string of failures which the players put into that role have had you would think that the team would reassess either their scheme or the type of players required to excell in the scheme.

Instead what will most likely happen is Hobspin will trot out the Dansby signing as proof of why the Bengals are right in not spending money in free agency. It's such a pathetic cycle of self affirmation from a group that can admit no wrong.  

I see the same thing every day in the faces of self-deluding people unwilling to accept they are at fault. "Well, I would have done "X" but management does "Y", so why should I even bother?" Their failures to succeed in life are always the result of "they" doing something to hold that person back. It's never about the person who failed. Sadly they will live their whole lives with that mindset and never achieve up to their potential, a life wasted in not accepting responsibility and overcoming self made obstacles. The Bengals do this, and they need therapy, not affirmation or fans.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote