Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which FA signing will be the biggest difference maker?
Reader makes us better on multiple levels. His addition makes our defensive line elite. He will take up blocks and free up the rest of the dline and linebackers to make plays. Geno will benefit from his presence. Reader will benefit from Geno's presence. Our edge rushers will benefit from the presence of Reader and Geno. Our linebackers will benefit from our ridiculously strong backbone on defense with Reader and Geno. Reader will have a huge impact, although it may not show up in his individual stats.

I would argue Bynes will have a great impact on the linebacker core as a whole. He'll raise the play of his fellow linebackers.

The additions in the secondary will stabilize our run defense on the perimeter.

Reader is the one player that effects all levels of the defense though. He makes the dline better. He makes the linebackers jobs easier. By making the defensive line and pass rush better, that will make the job on the secondary easier as well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 03:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I will go with AJ Green as he makes the Bengals FO look very smart by franchising him as he comes back and goes for 1200 yards and 12 TDs and makes Burrow look like Brady  Sarcasm. Sarcasm just on last part.

Honestly this is a good answer. If AJ stays healthy he probably will have the biggest impact. The last time we beat teams that were actually good AJ was a major reason why.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 03:48 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Reader makes us better on multiple levels. His addition makes our defensive line elite. He will take up blocks and free up the rest of the dline and linebackers to make plays. Geno will benefit from his presence. Reader will benefit from Geno's presence. Our edge rushers will benefit from the presence of Reader and Geno. Our linebackers will benefit from our ridiculously strong backbone on defense with Reader and Geno. Reader will have a huge impact, although it may not show up in his individual stats.

I would argue Bynes will have a great impact on the linebacker core as a whole. He'll raise the play of his fellow linebackers.

The additions in the secondary will stabilize our run defense on the perimeter.

Reader is the one player that effects all levels of the defense though. He makes the dline better. He makes the linebackers jobs easier. By making the defensive line and pass rush better, that will make the job on the secondary easier as well.

Kinda what I was gonna say. Reader's impact up front will effect everything behind and even beside him. And in fact the entire team ! It's been quite some time since we've dictated the pace of a game, this will change that.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 01:31 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Definitely Reader. No more double teams for Geno, and Reader keeps O-lineman off the LB's. He changes the entire run defense.

Yeah absolutely Reader will be the biggest difference maker, no question.  You put a top 5 NT between Geno and Dunlap and it allows a lot of freedom to move the 8 guys behind them.  Heck, if Tupou improves ge can play half the snaps at NT and allow the athletic Reader to wreak havoc at DE at for say 30-40% of his snaps.

The signing the two Vikes DBs and Bell are weapons to use with pass heavy personnel that can still play the run.  Bell won't challenge Reader for biggest difference maker, but he and Williams will give this defense a personality.  I think some of us wanting another safety/lb hybrid to pair with Williams to combat the common offense got their guy.  
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 03:26 PM)Okeana Wrote: im not afraid of fred as he's known by many as the guy who defends mediocre players.

You misspelled shitty
Reply/Quote
Best nose tackle I’ve ever seen play was Ted Washington. Reader is really good hopefully turns out as good as Ted.
Reply/Quote
While I like what XSF brings.
I have to go with Reader being the most impactful player. Him in between Los and Geno with Hubbard.... that's sick. 4 guys that OL have to pay attention to all day long or else someone will be in the backfield
It's not like double teaming 1 or 2... but 3.
Reply/Quote
Reader.

We all like highlight catches and all, but control the run and you control the game. If reader is the run stopper advertised, we control the field.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 01:29 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I know our run defense was awful last year.
I wonder at times how much is that attributed
To the offense having so many 3 and outs or 7 play
Drives and the defense is right back on the field
This is a great point but... our tackling last year was just awful game after game and linebackers were awful game after game.

I am stoked about all the D free agents signed by Bengals because they all have high scores for tackling.

Your team is screwed in the NFL if you are last in stopping the run.

Having said this, Reader could have a massive impact benefiting both our LBs and our other D linemen, particularly Geno.

I just complained about our stupid drafts for the last 4 years but I am pumped about the very intelligent plan by Management for this year's free agency and all the guys they signed.

I don't care about pundits- I don't think any team did better than Bengals this year in free agency.

We have been hoping for this for years and years.
Reply/Quote
Any love for Bell? Dude seemed genuine in recent interviews with leadership qualities. I'll offer his name up for this thread.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 01:39 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Any love for Bell? Dude seemed genuine in recent interviews with leadership qualities. I'll offer his name up for this thread.

Definitely my second favorite signing after Reader. I love a good safety, and we should have a solid tandem now with him and Bates.

Reply/Quote
DJ Reader but not by much over the guard from the cowboys. The game he had against fletcher Cox was amazing. I really think we found a very capable guard.. Reader is gonna be a beast with Atkins and Lawson. I hear Dunlap is on the market..
Reply/Quote
Has to be Reader.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 01:54 PM)Tony Wrote: DJ Reader but not by much over the guard from the cowboys. The game he had against fletcher Cox was amazing. I really think we found a very capable guard.. Reader is gonna be a beast with Atkins and Lawson. I hear Dunlap is on the market..

I really hope that's not true.  That would cancel out some of the progress that's been made and his value goes beyond just his play on the field.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 05:39 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Best nose tackle I’ve ever seen play was Ted Washington.  Reader is really good hopefully turns out as good as Ted.

Yeah Ted Washington was one of the best in his era. He started out slow but was a all pro and pro bowler on the regular for the most of his career .Just going off recognizing and remso dont have the actual numbers in front of me. I dont like to Google the stats because it seem like cheating, especially when i was old enough to watch the 80s and 90s lol
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 01:39 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Any love for Bell? Dude seemed genuine in recent interviews with leadership qualities. I'll offer his name up for this thread.

I like Bell more than everyone except Reader.

Loved the Reader signing.  Loved the Bell signing.

But if it ends up being Trae Waynes, Mackenese Alexander, and Josh Bynes for Kirpatrick, Dennard, and Vigil then I don't see a big upgrade.
The funny thing is with free agents not even the NFL teams can always tell which ones will flourish and which ones will flop.  I think it is less of a gamble than the draft because you have actually seen them in the NFL, but some big names flounder while other guys improve with a change of scenery.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 05:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I like Bell more than everyone except Reader.

Loved the Reader signing.  Loved the Bell signing.

But if it ends up being Trae Waynes, Mackenese Alexander, and Josh Bynes for Kirpatrick, Dennard, and Vigil then I don't see a big upgrade.
The funny thing is with free agents not even the NFL teams can always tell which ones will flourish and which ones will flop.  I think it is less of a gamble than the draft because you have actually seen them in the NFL, but some big names flounder while other guys improve with a change of scenery.

The coverage is roughly a push but the better tackling will be huge.   Dennard was a willing tackler but he kept getting injured tackling people.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I'm on the Reader/Bell train like most. Miller was an average to below average guard. Hopefully XSF is an upgrade, but I can't speak to that. Seems like a bit of a push.

The Waynes deal seemed steep for a player of his caliber, but he's a young corner that isn't trash, so it happens.

I think Mackensie Alexander could be a gem. He seems like everything you'd want in a slot corner.

I'm hoping that the overall fit of the new group will be the thing that makes it work. I was really surprised and pissed that little to nothing was done in outside FA when the new regime was brought in last year. They staff got a full year to evaluate and decide what kinds of players they wanted to keep, let go, and acquire. They paid a hell of a lot for some of them, so I'm expecting them to be just what the doctor ordered.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 02:26 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: It had better be Reader

Cha-Ching!! $$$$  Damn right 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
DJ Reader.

He will compliment multiple aspects of the defense. He will actually provide a pass rush from the NT position. He'll help free up Geno, since he's starting to fall off. He'll eat up blocks and allow the LBs to move around without OL in their faces. If he does force teams to pass more, then the secondary can focus on forced throws hopefully come up with some turnovers.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote