Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
While the iron is hot.
(01-14-2022, 06:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: We're not coaches, nor do we have any connection to the team. Therefore, we can say we are all in and very excited for this season and tomorrows game, but if we don't win we can reload and come back next year even stronger. We're fans, we're allowed.

But since my original post was about our young stars why don't you answer the question I asked?

If you were a Bengal coach what would you be telling the players?

"We have to win this year because we may never be back here again."

or

"We will be back and have plenty of more chances to win it all."

And, again, you can't say BOTH.
(01-14-2022, 06:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But since my original post was about our young stars why don't you answer the question I asked?

If you were a Bengal coach what would you be telling the players?

"We have to win this year because we may never be back here again."

or

"We will be back and have plenty of more chances to win it all."

And, again, you can't say BOTH.

I wouldn't say either of those things to the players.
(01-14-2022, 06:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I wouldn't say either of those things to the players.

Why? 

Personally I would be reminding them all about the '84 Dolphins and '05 Bengals.  I would want the players to be as motivated as possible while preparing for the game. 
(01-14-2022, 08:35 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: You're so full of shit THAT it's ridiculous to even try to have a debate with you.

If you were a coach for the Bengals what would you be telling them?

"We have to win NOW because we may never get this chance again."

or

"We will be back and have plenty more chances to win it all."

Same question for TecmoBengals.  What message are you sending to the team?
(01-14-2022, 06:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why? 

Personally I would be reminding them all about the '84 Dolphins and '05 Bengals.  I would want the players to be as motivated as possible while preparing for the game. 

They are trying to distance themselves from any history.
(01-14-2022, 06:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you were a coach for the Bengals what would you be telling them?

or

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

You're ridiculous and keep digging yourself deeper and deeper!

The coach doesn't say ANYTHING LIKE THAT!

The coach says "we've played our asses off to get here and you know what's at stake. Do your job, go hard for 60 minutes, leave it all out on the field, AND LET'S GO KICK SOME ASS!"
(01-14-2022, 06:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you were a coach for the Bengals what would you be telling them?

or

I'm telling them screw the doubters lets go out and kick some Raider ass!! 
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
(01-14-2022, 06:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I wouldn't say either of those things to the players.

No it would be ridiculously stupid.
(01-14-2022, 06:36 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They are trying to distance themselves from any history.

People who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
(01-14-2022, 06:41 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: No it would be ridiculously stupid.

What is stupid about reminding players that they need to feel a sense of urgency because they may never get this chance again?
(01-14-2022, 06:38 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

You're ridiculous and keep digging yourself deeper and deeper!

The coach doesn't say ANYTHING LIKE THAT!

The coach says "we've played our asses off to get here and you know what's at stake. Do your job, go hard for 60 minutes, leave it all out on the field, AND LET'S GO KICK SOME ASS!"

Link to source of what coaches say.
(01-14-2022, 07:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Right here.

Just to re-cap here is what happened.

1.  I express concern that some fans and players do not appreciate the fact that this could be our last chance to win it all for a while.  I say we need more of a sense of urgency and desperation.

2.  Not only did you disagree with me, but you actually mocked my opinion.  You assured me that this team will be just as good or maybe even better for years to some. You even suggest that it is so absurd to think this could be our final chance that you accuse me of having some other unknown motive for making this thread.

3.  Now you have done a complete 180 and are trying to argue that EVERYONE AGREES WITH ME.  That EVERYONE knows this could be our last chance.  That EVERYONE has a sense of urgency.  That NO ONE is taking this chance for granted.

This is the most insane argument I have ever had here. It is like some people here are more interested in disagreeing with me than addressing the point I am trying to make.  It is impossible to say both of the following are true at the same time

1.  We have to have a sense of urgency because this could be our last chance in a while.

2.  I know this will NOT be our last chance in a while because "We are in good shape" to win for years to come. 

As soon as you insist that we will be good for years to come that NEGATES the sense of urgency over this possibly being our last chance in a while. 

No

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(01-14-2022, 06:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What is stupid about reminding players that they need to feel a sense of urgency because they may never get this chance again?

Because that’s got a negative aspect to it. Doesn’t mean you don’t emphasize the opportunity but even by broaching that they may never get another chance shows little confidence in them. I can tell you’ve not led a large group of people. I have and you avoid saying those things. Stress the opportunity not the or else.
There will be opportunity for interceptions..
If we can finally take advantage of a gift or 2 then we win forsure!!
(01-14-2022, 07:55 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote:  I can tell you’ve not led a large group of people. I have and you avoid saying those things. Stress the opportunity not the or else.

You can't tell anything.  Like everyone else I know who has been a leader, I know the risks of complacency and "lack of urgency".

If you were really taught to "stress the opportunity" you would understand that you can stress it more by making it more rare and valuable.  Platitudes are meaningless if you are not taught the substance behind them.
(01-14-2022, 07:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Link to source of what coaches say.

Here's one coach giving an emotional speech and telling his players to "take everything," which I know your reply will be "that's not word-for-word what he said" because this entire thread has gone up in flames for you.

ThumbsUp