Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
While the iron is hot.
(01-12-2022, 02:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Good thing in year 3 Zac is 10-7 and could have been 11-6 if he played the starters in the last game, huh?... Ninja

Yes.  Very good for him.  He would have been fired if he had had another losing season.
(01-12-2022, 02:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually stating that we will be as good or better in the future is the very definition of "taking for granted".

He is literally taking it for granted that this will not be our last shot in a while.  I don't know how he could have said it any clearer.

I am the better person when it comes to understanding what the term "taking for granted" means.

Nope, opining we'll be good or better in future seasons doesn't mean he is taking the current moment and season lightly or for granted as an opportunity to win it all. You're misinterpreting his words to try and further your contrived claim.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-12-2022, 02:36 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Nope, opining we'll be good or better in future seasons doesn't mean he is taking the current moment and season lightly or for granted as an opportunity to win it all. You're misinterpreting his words to try and further your contrived claim.

I am not getting into another silly discussion with you.

Brad LITERALLY "took it for granted" that we would be as good or better in the next few years.  To him it is "granted", i.e. "true", that we are going to be as good or better the next few years as we are now. That is how he "takes it".

If you do not understand that then you do not even know what the term means. 
(01-11-2022, 06:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Two other things that also probably impacted the Dolphins getting to the Super Bowl with Marino later in his career:
Free agency started in 1993.
Salary cap came in 1994.

In today's NFL, you really have to try to capitalize on rookie contracts. With the way veterans (especially good QBs) get paid, it can be very difficult to keep your talent and put together a championship-caliber team year-after-year.

The Bengals need to definitely view the next few years as their window and go all in.

.....and they didn't have any real threat at RB, or on defense during his time there. They pretty much relied on Dan to do it all.

"Better send those refunds..."

(01-12-2022, 03:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not getting into another silly discussion with you.

Brad LITERALLY "took it for granted" that we would be as good or better in the next few years.  To him it is "granted", i.e. "true", that we are going to be as good or better the next few years as we are now. That is how he "takes it".

I think you're missing the part where he doesn't say "if they don't make it this year, no worry...".

That, is taking it for granted. You could just as easily suppose that he wants them to sieze the day and still be good in the future. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(01-11-2022, 07:59 PM)Chip Smallwood Wrote: Is the fredtoast profile run by a different person than it was a few years ago?

During the Marvin/Dalton/Green years, I remember an endless amount of optimism from him, even when given a dozen chances, they repeatedly proved not to be worthy of that optimism. Now, a few years later, I come back to this board, and it seems the opposite. When the franchise looks like it may have turned the corner, it’s very often skepticism and negativity.

Is this just revisionist history on my behalf? The Mandela effect, maybe?

Nah....two things. A) he was a huge Marvin homer, and B) he doesn't want to be wrong about Taylor. Hell, I think all of us but a couple were wrong about him. I've never understood why some can't just admit they predicted wrong. Jerry

(01-11-2022, 08:09 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I think fred is on to something, but I also believe these young guns have the right mindset.  I remember that '84 season, and I believe the consensus was that Marino would only improve and the Dolphins would be perennial Super Bowl contenders for a decade.  As it turned out, they did host the AFC title game the following year, only to lose in a downpour (from memory) to a New England team that would be Bear chow in the Super Bowl.  I think that may be the game that haunts Marino more than any other, outside the Super Bowl loss.  The Dolphins were the team that gave Chicago its only loss that year by scoring 38 on arguably the greatest single season defense of all time.

That 1984 season remains far and away the most dominant season a QB has put together in my lifetime.  I don't know that Marino is the greatest QB of all time, but he's undoubtedly the greatest QB in his first 1.5 seasons- he started the last half of the '83 campaign and was nearly as dominant.

Marino was the best pure passer I've ever seen.

(01-11-2022, 09:53 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Marino was a great QB no doubt about it

but want to see Burrow go after that Bob Griese record of an undefeated season and Super Bowl Champions instead.

Oh and by the way my avatar was offensive coordinator of that undefeated Miami Dolphins team.

RIP Howard.

(01-12-2022, 11:30 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Because I see a lot of people around here talking about how we are "still young" and "will only get better".

Because I see so many people talking about how our top skill players are 25 or younger. 

Although everyone wants to win this year I believe a lot of peopl don't see any urgency because they think we will have plenty of more chances over the next few years.  I certainly hope we will be good for years to come.  I believe we SHOULD be good for year to come.  But NFL history has shown it may not happen.  Look what happened to Greg Cook and Ickey Woods.  Look at all the young talent we had on the '05 team, Palmer (25), Ocho (27), Rudi (25), Levi Jones (25), Eric Steinbach (25), Justin Smith (25), Robert Geathers (22), Odell Thurman (22), Chris Henry (22), David Pollack (23), Madieu Williams (24).

Too many people are taking this season for granted.  It may be a while before we have this good of a chance again.

And what if they capitalize on it with a nice playoff run? What will be your opinion of Taylor? That he was just the caretaker?
(01-12-2022, 11:41 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Through most of the season, we were all saying how the Bengals need to replace Hopkins with a new C (either Linderbaum in Rd 1 of draft or get a good vet FA).

As you said, Hopkins has been improving since the bye week.
He's now a full year past his injury.

If he performs decently well in the playoffs, should the Bengals plan to roll with him as their starting C for 2022?

I'd bring in some competition. If Trey winds up as your backup, you've found a good C.

(01-12-2022, 02:01 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Tiger Teeth, you seeing this? Coach Simmons says there is a vibe!  Hilarious

....beat me to it. LMAO

(01-12-2022, 03:43 PM)Wyche Wrote: Nah....two things. A) he was a huge Marvin homer, and B) he doesn't want to be wrong about Taylor. Hell, I think all of us but a couple were wrong about him. I've never understood why some can't just admit they predicted wrong. Jerry

This is getting a bit tire some, but I even made a thread to address my position.  Right now all I am seeing is the same unbridled confidence that you all had after we blew out the Steelers and Ravens the first times we played them.  But after both of those big wins we played poorly and lost two straight games.  If we look good in the playoffs I will have no problem praising Zac AND I HAVE ALREADY SAID THAT.

i never understood why some can't admit that the amazing "culture" and "vibe" were here when we lost to the 4-13 Jets, then lost at home to the 8-9 Browns by 25 points, then lost at home to the Chargers by 19 points, then lost at home to the Forty-niners.Jerry 
(01-12-2022, 03:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not getting into another silly discussion with you.

Brad LITERALLY "took it for granted" that we would be as good or better in the next few years.  To him it is "granted" that we are going to be as good or better the next few years as we are now.

You made up an opinion and asserted that "Too many people are taking this season for granted." There is not enough evidence to support your claim. What you suggest is not true. BFritz thinking we will have a good future does not equate to taking the current season for granted. You stating it does is incorrect.

I understand the meaning of the word granted and the "taking for granted" phrase. I also understand BFritz or others thinking the future is bright does not mean they are taking for granted the current moment and season. You either cannot comprehend this or stubbornly ignore. I don't understand your strange motives behind these posts, but I do know you foster the silly discussion.
(01-12-2022, 03:52 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: And what if they capitalize on it with a nice playoff run? What will be your opinion of Taylor? That he was just the caretaker?

I have already made a thread to address this.  We have seen "peaks" before in the season that were followed by playing like shit for a couple of games.  If Zac can keep us playing on a high level in the playoffs then he will deserve my praise.
(01-12-2022, 03:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is getting a bit tire some, but I even made a thread to address my position.  Right now all I am seeing is the same unbridled confidence that you all had after we blew out the Steelers and Ravens the first times we played them.  But after both of those big wins we played poorly and lost two straight games.  If we look good in the playoffs I will have no problem praising Zac AND I HAVE ALREADY SAID THAT.

i never understood why some can't admit that the amazing "culture" and "vibe" were here when we lost to the 4-13 Jets, then lost at home to the 8-9 Browns by 25 points, then lost at home to the Chargers by 19 points, then lost at home to the Forty-niners.Jerry 

Better culture and vibe does not mean undefeated. They rebounded from those games. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(01-12-2022, 03:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is getting a bit tire some, but I even made a thread to address my position.  Right now all I am seeing is the same unbridled confidence that you all had after we blew out the Steelers and Ravens the first times we played them.  But after both of those big wins we played poorly and lost two straight games.  If we look good in the playoffs I will have no problem praising Zac AND I HAVE ALREADY SAID THAT.

Because during the season, there are ebbs and flows. Sometimes a team looks past an opponent (especially young ones), sometimes they don't match up well with a specific opponent, there's luck involved at times, turnovers are often a huge factor, etc. I think everyone understands that. Bottom line...we needed to win three straight, we did. We needed to beat either KC or CLE to win the division, and we beat the defending AFC Champs and didn't even fly starters to CLE. Where, I might add, the damn scout team almost won.

Playoff wins never mattered in past defenses of the staff, counselor. Mellow

(01-12-2022, 04:03 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Better culture and vibe does not mean undefeated. They rebounded from those games. 

There's that too. I'm sure the culture was great when Marvin and crew first arrived. If anyone says it wasn't stale, and that some guys weren't just going through the motions at the end, they weren't paying attention.

(01-12-2022, 03:58 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: BFritz thinking we will have a good future does not equate to taking the current season for granted. 

Yes it does.  That is exactly what it means.  He does not appreciate the fact that this season could be our last chance to win it in a long time.  He "takes it" (believes), as "granted" (true) that we will have just as good of a chance to win it all over the next few years as we do this year.

I notice you have repeatedly claimed that you know what the term means, but for some strange reason you have refused to give any sort of definition.  Instead you just say I am wrong because you say so.  I find that an interesting way to try and prove a point.
(01-12-2022, 04:03 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Better culture and vibe does not mean undefeated. They rebounded from those games. 

So if we get blown out in the playoff game that means the "culture" and "vibe" are still good?

We will just rebound "next year".
(01-12-2022, 04:03 PM)Wyche Wrote: Playoff wins never mattered in past defenses of the staff, counselor. Mellow

And playoff wins used to be REQUIRED to praise a coaching staff.

It goes both ways.