Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
While the iron is hot.
(01-11-2022, 07:00 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Dude, what are you on about?  Who is THEY?

The lack of urgency to win this year? How do you define that? The FO? We cannot make any roster moves or sign a FA.  We have who we have for this run. 

Do you think the players and coaches are gonna half-@$$ things because they think they will be back?  Ridiculous. 

Or that fans of a team that has not won a PO game in 31 years are gonna sit on their hands Saturday? Even more ridiculous.

The urgency should kick in in the off-season. Go get Burrow a real OL for next year so we can keep him upright and healthy. But that is a thread for another day. Hopefully February. 

But we are wildly ahead of schedule. There is nothing left to do this year but play hard, coach hard, and cheer loud. The die is cast. 

I think what he's saying is that it's rare for a team...

1. To be as healthy as we are.
2. To be playing as well as we are.

So we better enjoy this while we have it and make the most of it. He's right.

Does the future look promising? Sure. But the stars probably aren't going to allign the way they are on what we have right now.
I believe someone here before the season said the window is now. Well, the window is officially right in front of their faces.
where is this lack of talent coming from? 3 of the line is good Im including Hopkins his play has improved as the season wears on. We have playmakers all over on both sides of the ball Hendrickson Bates Awuzie Logan Wilson Bell from the D Our backups nearly beat Browns starters.
Marino was a great QB no doubt about it

but want to see Burrow go after that Bob Griese record of an undefeated season and Super Bowl Champions instead.

Oh and by the way my avatar was offensive coordinator of that undefeated Miami Dolphins team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
(01-11-2022, 07:00 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: But we are wildly ahead of schedule. 

No we are not.

What other new NFL head coach survived more than 3 seasons without a winning season?  3 years is pretty much the limit for a "re-build".
(01-11-2022, 07:06 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Why would someone post a thread like this?

Because I see a lot of people around here talking about how we are "still young" and "will only get better".

Because I see so many people talking about how our top skill players are 25 or younger. 

Although everyone wants to win this year I believe a lot of peopl don't see any urgency because they think we will have plenty of more chances over the next few years.  I certainly hope we will be good for years to come.  I believe we SHOULD be good for year to come.  But NFL history has shown it may not happen.  Look what happened to Greg Cook and Ickey Woods.  Look at all the young talent we had on the '05 team, Palmer (25), Ocho (27), Rudi (25), Levi Jones (25), Eric Steinbach (25), Justin Smith (25), Robert Geathers (22), Odell Thurman (22), Chris Henry (22), David Pollack (23), Madieu Williams (24).

Too many people are taking this season for granted.  It may be a while before we have this good of a chance again.
(01-11-2022, 09:44 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: where is this lack of talent coming from? 3 of the line is good Im including Hopkins his play has improved as the season wears on. We have playmakers all over on both sides of the ball Hendrickson Bates Awuzie Logan Wilson Bell from the D  Our backups nearly beat Browns starters.

Through most of the season, we were all saying how the Bengals need to replace Hopkins with a new C (either Linderbaum in Rd 1 of draft or get a good vet FA).

As you said, Hopkins has been improving since the bye week.
He's now a full year past his injury.

If he performs decently well in the playoffs, should the Bengals plan to roll with him as their starting C for 2022?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

(01-12-2022, 11:30 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Because I see a lot of people around here talking about how we are "still young" and "will only get better".

Because I see so many people talking about how our top skill players are 25 or younger. 

Although everyone wants to win this year I believe a lot of peopl don't see any urgency because they think we will have plenty of more chances over the next few years.  I certainly hope we will be good for years to come.  I believe we SHOULD be good for year to come.  But NFL history has shown it may not happen.  Look what happened to Greg Cook and Ickey Woods.  Look at all the young talent we had on the '05 team, Palmer (25), Ocho (27), Rudi (25), Levi Jones (25), Eric Steinbach (25), Justin Smith (25), Robert Geathers (22), Odell Thurman (22), Chris Henry (22), David Pollack (23), Madieu Williams (24).

Too many people are taking this season for granted.  It may be a while before we have this good of a chance again.

This is a contrived view and not prevalent throughout the forum. Go look at all the threads and you will see plenty of people recognizing this a healthy, confident, and hot team ready to make a run in the playoffs with the goal of winning a Super Bowl this year. I recognize the moment is now to win it all. It's why many posters talk about Burrow's rookie contract as a window to win it all similar to the Mahomes-lead Chiefs. It's why many posters, similar to you, are talking about how the team is getting hot at the right time and that the roster is healthy. Seek them out on the board, as you're capable of doing, and you will find them.

Your point about a sense of urgency and winning it all now is solid, but suggesting Bengals Board posters are taking it for granted and not recognizing the immediacy of the moment is click-bait thinking that stifles good Bengals conversation.
(01-12-2022, 11:30 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Because I see a lot of people around here talking about how we are "still young" and "will only get better".

Well there really isn't much more that can be done this year.
The best they can do is try to pick up a released guy here or there (e.g. Shaq Lawson).

As I mentioned before, the Bengals should be viewing this time that Burrow is on rookie contract as their window.
His veteran contract is going to be $30+ mill a year.
That's going to cut down on the number of other quality guys they can sign/keep.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Just don't believe the folks who's opinions actually matter are not "all in" and are not waiting until someone says their window is open and its time to try lol.  

It was only a few weeks back many fans wanted Zac fired immediately. Betting he would love to make folks eat those words by becoming (I believe) the 2nd youngest coach to ever hoist the Lombardi Trophy into the air. 

Do not believe for one second that the coaches and players are taking this season for granted. Even if it took Harbaugh foolishly going for two point conversions twice to help Bengals get there. 

Still does not change the fact that this season was magical that could have a very magical ending. 

But if not, you're correct that the bengals are young and this is only the first year of the open window. 

Seize the Dey !

Roam the Jungle !
(01-11-2022, 09:53 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Oh and by the way my avatar was offensive coordinator of that undefeated Miami Dolphins team.

I did not know that.  But I knew that no one had ever heard of the University of Miami's football team before he became their head coach and won a National Championship in just a few years.

He also turned around Louisville's football program.

Show me one person that is taking this season for granted and isn't just excited about the game on Saturday.
(01-12-2022, 12:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I did not know that.  But I knew that no one had ever heard of the University of Miami's football team before he became their head coach and won a National Championship in just a few years.

He also turned around Louisville's football program.

He saved the Louisville football program from extinction and that's exactly where he stole my heart.

Also Jay Gruden was his first QB he mentored at Louisville.  

Roam the Jungle !
(01-12-2022, 01:34 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Show me one person that is taking this season for granted and isn't just excited about the game on Saturday.

This guy.

(01-11-2022, 07:06 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: We're young and will be able to attract free agents, as well as build with picks in the draft!

We're in good shape!

Sounds almost word for word like what a lot of fans were saying in '05.
(01-12-2022, 01:34 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Show me one person that is taking this season for granted and isn't just excited about the game on Saturday.

Even if he shows you with direct quotes that one, five, ten, or more posters feel this way it doesn't validate the generalization that Bengals Board fandom is taking this moment for granted. Conversely, if I were to quote a lot of posters expressing "seize the moment" type thinking in posts it doesn't mean much.

I do agree with you and think the excitement and feeling on this board is that the present moment, as opposed to building for the future, is prevalent; fans get now is the time to win. Fans get this is a special circumstance and opportunities like this are not abundant. Bengals fans, I offer, might realize this more than fans from teams who frequently win.  
(01-12-2022, 01:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This guy.

Sounds almost word for word like what a lot of fans were saying in '05.

He doesn't directly state he's taking for granted the moment to win it all in this current season. You're applying an interpretation to fit your contrived argument. Be a better person.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

(01-12-2022, 02:00 PM)pally Wrote:

Tiger Teeth, you seeing this? Coach Simmons says there is a vibe!  Hilarious
(01-12-2022, 11:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No we are not.

What other new NFL head coach survived more than 3 seasons without a winning season?  3 years is pretty much the limit for a "re-build".

Good thing in year 3 Zac is 10-7 and could have been 11-6 if he played the starters in the last game, huh?... Ninja
(01-12-2022, 01:59 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: He doesn't directly state he's taking for granted the moment to win it all in this current season. You're applying an interpretation to fit your contrived argument. Be a better person.

Actually stating that we will be as good or better in the future is the very definition of "taking for granted".

He is literally taking it for granted that this will not be our last shot in a while.  I don't know how he could have said it any clearer.

I am the better person when it comes to understanding what the term "taking for granted" means.