Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
While the iron is hot.
(01-12-2022, 03:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is getting a bit tire some, but I even made a thread to address my position.  Right now all I am seeing is the same unbridled confidence that you all had after we blew out the Steelers and Ravens the first times we played them.  But after both of those big wins we played poorly and lost two straight games.  If we look good in the playoffs I will have no problem praising Zac AND I HAVE ALREADY SAID THAT.

i never understood why some can't admit that the amazing "culture" and "vibe" were here when we lost to the 4-13 Jets, then lost at home to the 8-9 Browns by 25 points, then lost at home to the Chargers by 19 points, then lost at home to the Forty-niners.Jerry 

Trying to use the Jets loss as some validation that culture or vibe is not real is silly. The Jags just beat the Colts and kept them out of the playoffs. The Jets beat the Titans this year too. Freddie is good about trying to use one example and then try to use it as significant. The NFL has a 17 game season. Turning a team into a winner after only winning 5 games in 2 years is not like a light switch. It’s why Taylor is a major candidate for COY. The turn around was a huge hill to climb and the other teams with a 4 year run of a poor record with draft and free agency opportunities are still bad. It’s not easy and why Taylor now is viewed as one of the great young coaches.
(01-11-2022, 09:17 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I'm not sure how some are making this in to a bad thing.
We cry and moan every year about injuries.

The whole point of the thread is

"Winning a championship is as much about being healthy and getting hot as it is about overall talent. We are as healthy as I can ever remember a Bengal team being at the end of the season. And we are as hot as we have been all year."

Do it.

Go get the title.

This
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
(01-12-2022, 04:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes it does.  That is exactly what it means.  He does not appreciate the fact that this season could be our last chance to win it in a long time.  He "takes it" (believes), as "granted" (true) that we will have just as good of a chance to win it all over the next few years as we do this year.

I notice you have repeatedly claimed that you know what the term means, but for some strange reason you have refused to give any sort of definition.  Instead you just say I am wrong because you say so.  I find that an interesting way to try and prove a point.

A person can value the current moment and are not taking it for granted by also thinking the future is good. It isn't challenging to understand this nor do I need to provide a definition for the word granted or an explanation for the "taking for granted" phrase to make it understandable. You stating too many Bengals Board posters are taking the current season for granted is wrong and harping on BFritz's post is silly because he clearly values the current moment and is not taking it for granted. Carry on with your contentious ways.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-12-2022, 04:38 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: A person can value the current moment and are not taking it for granted by also thinking the future is good. It isn't challenging to understand this nor do I need to provide a definition for the word granted or an explanation for the "taking for granted" phrase to make it understandable. You stating too many Bengals Board posters are taking the current season for granted is wrong and harping on BFritz's post is silly because he clearly values the current moment and is not taking it for granted. Carry on with your contentious ways.

I mean, my God, the man is going to the game in nothing but a wheelchair and a Speedo. Nervous If that's not valuing the moment, I'm not sure what is.
(01-12-2022, 04:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I mean, my God, the man is going to the game in nothing but a wheelchair and a Speedo. Nervous If that's not valuing the moment, I'm not sure what is.

Thank you for the laugh, Sled. You get that autographed calendar yet?
(01-12-2022, 04:43 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Thank you for the laugh, Sled. You get that autographed calendar yet?

No, not yet. Hilarious
(01-12-2022, 04:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So if we get blown out in the playoff game that means the "culture" and "vibe" are still good?

We will just rebound "next year".

Based on numerous videos and articles, i'd say yes. Disappointed, but good. 

Dunno. Remains to be seen as to how this team is constructed and how they relate to each other. I'd lean toward "more than likely" though. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(01-12-2022, 01:59 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: He doesn't directly state he's taking for granted the moment to win it all in this current season. You're applying an interpretation to fit your contrived argument. Be a better person.
There's a reason why he doesn't post the links for comments and that's because it's so he can take them out of context. 

The post he quoted was likely coming from a thread about attracting coaches or in some thread like that.
(01-12-2022, 03:38 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I think you're missing the part where he doesn't say "if they don't make it this year, no worry...".

That, is taking it for granted. You could just as easily suppose that he wants them to sieze the day and still be good in the future. 
That's typical for him to quote things of mine and take them out of context.
(01-12-2022, 03:58 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: You made up an opinion and asserted that "Too many people are taking this season for granted." There is not enough evidence to support your claim. What you suggest is not true. BFritz thinking we will have a good future does not equate to taking the current season for granted. You stating it does is incorrect.

I understand the meaning of the word granted and the "taking for granted" phrase. I also understand BFritz or others thinking the future is bright does not mean they are taking for granted the current moment and season. You either cannot comprehend this or stubbornly ignore. I don't understand your strange motives behind these posts, but I do know you foster the silly discussion.

Exactly, and my entire point is that this looks like the biggest week for the franchise in, what, 30 years(?), so why couldn't this thread wait until the season is over in a month and then worry the future later.
(01-12-2022, 04:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And playoff wins used to be REQUIRED to praise a coaching staff.

It goes both ways.

It does....but when you flip a last place team into a division champ, you get a chance to get some praise beforehand. Kinda like when Mora turned around the Saints, and Marvin here. Those narratives held for a while until it was evident that neither could get above that threshold.

"Better send those refunds..."

I changed my mind. I actually agree with Fred here.

As I hear people give the “house money” line, I think about it and realize that I’m going to be pretty upset when/if they lose this year. Expectations have been realigned after how well this season has played out. They absolutely need to capitalize on how well they’re playing, the chemistry and momentum they have, and the health of the ream. Any of those things could go sideways at any moment, and it’s not common for a team to go into the playoffs as hot and healthy as the Bengals are this year.

I think the window is just opening though. They’ll be back to where they’re at right now, and should be even better in the next couple years. If they don’t get it this year, I’ll be disappointed, but they WILL be back here again soon.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(01-12-2022, 09:37 PM)Chip Smallwood Wrote: I changed my mind. I actually agree with Fred here.

As I hear people give the “house money” line, I think about it and realize that I’m going to be pretty upset when/if they lose this year. Expectations have been realigned after how well this season has played out. They absolutely need to capitalize on how well they’re playing, the chemistry and momentum they have, and the health of the ream. Any of those things could go sideways at any moment, and it’s not common for a team to go into the playoffs as hot and healthy as the Bengals are this year.

I think the window is just opening though. They’ll be back to where they’re at right now, and should be even better in the next couple years. If they don’t get it this year, I’ll be disappointed, but they WILL be back here again soon.

Bengals have the most cap space compared to other playoff teams. And they are the only team to beat every playoff bound AFC opponent that they faced.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/1/12/22878923/bengals-cap-space-2022-playoff-teams
https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/01/10/bengals-undefeated-vs-afc-playoff-teams/

WHO DEY
(01-11-2022, 08:12 PM)TheFan Wrote: Fred is someone who's usually always going to be a contrarian. Back then people were probably being negative about Marvin/Dalton (like they still are now) so he feels the need to defend them and argue against it. People now are being really high on the team so he may bring up things to argue that. People are up on certain coaches/players so he negates it. People are down on certain coaches/players so he defends them. 

The cycle continues. 
So... Basically a troll?
(01-12-2022, 10:18 PM)Tony Wrote: So... Basically a troll?

A troll is someone who posts to get an emotional rise out of the reader.

Posting contrary information, makes for a better argument. A post that considers all sides makes a stronger argument.  Facts over feelings. Just 'cause is not really moving anything forward. We are all fans. No reason why we shouldn't be smart about it.

Just how I see things. I enjoy the discussion and there is a lot of stuff posted on here I did not realize. And I think I am a better fan because of these boards.

WHO DEY

(I have been pumped up all week, I can barely contain myself)
(01-12-2022, 04:32 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Trying to use the Jets loss as some validation that culture or vibe is not real is silly. 

Then you agree with me that "vibe" and "culture" have nothing to do with "winning"?

That has been my point all along.
Debbie downer. Whatever
(01-12-2022, 04:38 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: nor do I need to provide a definition for the word granted or an explanation for the "taking for granted" phrase to make it understandable.

Of course, not.  How silly of me.  You can just make up whatever meaning you want to and say it is true just because you say so.

HilariousLMAO

Brad does not appreciate the fact that this could be our last chance in a long time.  He says that we will be just as good or even better in the next few years.

The only reason you refuse to post and definition of "taking for granted" is because what Brad is doing is literally "taking it for granted" that we will have the same, or better, chances in the next few years.  You can stomp your feet and hold your breath as long as you want, but just saying "I am right." over and over again does not change the fact that what Brad is doing is the very definition of "taking for granted".
(01-12-2022, 10:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Of course, not.  How silly of me.  You can just make up whatever meaning you want to and say it is true just because you say so.

HilariousLMAO

Brad does not appreciate the fact that this could be our last chance in a long time.  He says that we will be just as good or even better in the next few years.

The only reason you refuse to post and definition of "taking for granted" is because what Brad is doing is literally "taking it for granted" that we will have the same, or better, chances in the next few years.  You can stomp your feet and hold your breath as long as you want, but just saying "I am right." over and over again does not change the fact that what Brad is doing is the very definition of "taking for granted".

Surely you can understand the laughable absurdity of this post because your shtick also comprises trying to assert your opinion as fact once you get mad at someone for pointing out your weak arguments. Again, be a better person.
(01-12-2022, 05:08 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Exactly, and my entire point is that this looks like the biggest week for the franchise in, what, 30 years(?), so why couldn't this thread wait until the season is over in a month and then worry the future later.

Why would I be worried about a lack of urgency when the reason for the concern is over?  The lack of urgency has nothing to do with "worrying about the future" it is about "worrying about losing this week".

I am afraid that some of the players might have the same mindset as you.  No need to play with any urgency or desperation because we will have so many more chances in the next few years, right?
I havent felt this optimistic since TJ Yates going into a playoff game.
(01-12-2022, 10:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Of course, not.  How silly of me.  You can just make up whatever meaning you want to and say it is true just because you say so.

HilariousLMAO

Barring injury to  Burrow, there's no reason to think with another draft and FA, we won't be as good or better next year. Most of our stars are under contract to be back.