Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitehall police investigating racially charged letter sent to day care
http://www.mcall.com/news/local/whitehall/mc-nws-whitehall-daycare-racist-letter-20171006-story.html

Quote:Whitehall police are investigating a racially charged letter sent to a township day care center where shaken staff members have been taking extra security precautions since early this week.

Dominique McKelley, owner of Bridge 2 Creative Learning Center in Whitehall, said an envelope addressed to her arrived Tuesday with no return address.

Inside were two identical letters — one addressed to her and another to one of her workers — urging the center to fire one of its black workers because of her dark skin color. The letter was posted on social media by staff who condemned its content, and has since gone viral.

“This is not OK,” McKelley said, her voice occasionally wavering with emotion. “It’s gone too far — this hatred. Now you’re targeting a day care center?”

Whitehall police Chief Michael Marks said he has never seen a letter so offensive in his 20 years in police work.

“It’s disturbing. This is not something you want to see in your community,” Marks said. “This is something we as a police department are going to take very seriously.”

Marks said such a letter could carry harassment and ethnic intimidation charges, though he conceded locating the sender is tricky. He said there have been no similar incidents reported in the township.

The day care already has security measures in place for the safety of its children, but McKelley said staff is on added alert. Staff members are leaving the facility in pairs so no one is alone.

McKelley briefed her staff on the letter and said she was nervous about revealing it to the worker who was unnamed in the letter but believed to be the target.

“I didn’t want her to have to read something like this,” she said.

McKelley choked up recounting the experience.

“She started crying. She looked scared,” McKelley said of her employee. “She said she was going to quit. But I convinced her to stay.
This has gotten everyone here so fired up.

“To see that look on her face when she read it … it just gets to you.”

The writer of the letter, purported to be a parent, threatened to pull his or her children from the center because the worker’s skin was too dark.

McKelley said she has several African-American staff members and students at the day care, which serves more than 130 children.

But she does not believe the letter came from a parent.

She described the day care center, established in 2009, as a close-knit community whose members have rallied together since word of the letter reached social media.

Cyruss Quaye, a staff member of five years, said the letter was alarming to the entire staff.

"I couldn't believe it," said Quaye, who lives in Whitehall. "I thought this can't be real. This has to be fake. It made my stomach turn."

Quaye said the staff rallied around their co-worker, who is quiet and devoted to the kids in her care.

"Here, we treat our staff like family. We've all been trying to put a smile on her face," Quaye said. "This has assured me how strong she is. I look up to her for standing up and staying here. This is where she belongs."

Tyrone Russell, coordinator for racial and ethnic justice for Community Action Committee of the Lehigh Valley, said the country’s current climate has made speech such as the letter common though most people still find it unacceptable.

“I know the culture of the United States right now is very divided. I can see someone like this playing on this division,” Russell said. “Most people don’t think like this but there are always knuckleheads that want to stir the pot.”

Russell said it was important for law enforcement to condemn such remarks, even if the likelihood of finding the culprit is slim.

“This is what I call invisible violence. It starts when things are said and before something gets done,” Russell said. “If nothing gets done, these people feel like they can take it to the next step.”

Condemnation sends a powerful message, he said.

Dan Bosket, director of the Community Action Development Corp. of Allentown, said recent violence in the nation makes it understandable that such a letter would worry the workers, but the community should resist any intimidation.

“We have to condemn this and not buy into it,” Bosket said.

McKelley said she and her staff took to social media with the letter in the hopes of exposing a stream of ugliness she worries is poisoning the country.

Russell said the consensus from those who’ve viewed the letter should be encouraging and is the first step toward fighting back against such views.

“I think what makes people like this angry is when a majority of folks come out and say this is not how we want to raise our kids and say this is not the world we want to live in,” Russell said. “I think the masses are typically quiet, and though they may not like when people do this kind of thing, they don’t say anything. And so when they speak out, it’s so much more powerful.”

So some knuckle head? A true racist?  Ignore them so they'll go away? 

Apparently the Trump supporters are already pushing the conspiracy that it was written by one of the day care workers.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(10-11-2017, 11:55 PM)GMDino Wrote: http://www.mcall.com/news/local/whitehall/mc-nws-whitehall-daycare-racist-letter-20171006-story.html

Apparently the Trump supporters are already pushing the conspiracy that it was written by one of the day care workers.

Well Tyrone Russell coordinator for racial and ethnic justice called the person a knucklehead so yeah.  

i get a kick out of too dark.  Is that the paper bag test?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-12-2017, 09:15 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Well Tyrone Russell coordinator for racial and ethnic justice called the person a knucklehead so yeah.  

i get a kick out of too dark.  Is that the paper bag test?

[Image: cxOFyVd.png]
(10-11-2017, 11:55 PM)GMDino Wrote: http://www.mcall.com/news/local/whitehall/mc-nws-whitehall-daycare-racist-letter-20171006-story.html

Real question: based on what we currently know, what do you think happens if the owner threw away the letter without telling anyone about it? Maybe less strife and heartache in the community? Maybe people wouldn't feel so unsafe and sad? 

Don't get me wrong, I hope this was just a stupid trick by a reprehensible person and I hope they find him/her and punish them to the full extent of the law (and maybe go beyond that). But, if this WAS just a stupid trick and not a legitimate threat, didn't the owner just help the author (unintended, of course), by sharing the letters?
(10-12-2017, 02:21 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Real question: based on what we currently know, what do you think happens if the owner threw away the letter without telling anyone about it? Maybe less strife and heartache in the community? Maybe people wouldn't feel so unsafe and sad? 

Don't get me wrong, I hope this was just a stupid trick by a reprehensible person and I hope they find him/her and punish them to the full extent of the law (and maybe go beyond that). But, if this WAS just a stupid trick and not a legitimate threat, didn't the owner just help the author (unintended, of course), by sharing the letters?

I think you have someone so upset that a person that is "too dark" to be working with children (they are "scared") who would think they were being ignored and take further action.

I'd rather make it public and hope the coward who wrote it comes out in the light.  It also shows how racism isn't really dead.
(10-12-2017, 02:21 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Real question: based on what we currently know, what do you think happens if the owner threw away the letter without telling anyone about it? Maybe less strife and heartache in the community? Maybe people wouldn't feel so unsafe and sad? 

Is there anything the law can do?  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(10-12-2017, 02:44 PM)GMDino Wrote: I think you have someone so upset that a person that is "too dark" to be working with children (they are "scared") who would think they were being ignored and take further action.

I'd rather make it public and hope the coward who wrote it comes out in the light.  It also shows how racism isn't really dead.

What if you involved the police to try to find the sicko, but still kept the letter and its contents under wraps? Wouldn't that be better? You wouldn't have a whole community upset nor have someone on the verge of quitting their livelihood.

I'm not saying anyone other than the sicko did anything wrong, but I can't help but wonder if maybe the best thing for all involved would be to notify the police but try to not let word get out about the letter.
(10-12-2017, 03:31 PM)PhilHos Wrote: What if you involved the police to try to find the sicko, but still kept the letter and its contents under wraps? Wouldn't that be better? You wouldn't have a whole community upset nor have someone on the verge of quitting their livelihood.

I'm not saying anyone other than the sicko did anything wrong, but I can't help but wonder if maybe the best thing for all involved would be to notify the police but try to not let word get out about the letter.

Oh hell no.  Let the community know that a racist is among them that is so offended that a "too dark" person is working that the daycare center.

Hopefully a good public shaming.

And I'll feel the same way if this turns out to nothing more than a hoax.  Public shame the person behind it.

I thought we tried the 'ignore racism away' approach?

Didn't the letter get sent to the employee, as well?
(10-12-2017, 03:48 PM)Benton Wrote: I thought we tried the 'ignore racism away' approach?

There are some that still want us to live by that. See the response to what happened in Charlottesville.
(10-12-2017, 03:50 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: There are some that still want us to live by that. See the response to what happened in Charlottesville.

You don't ignore racist acts, you ignore racists when all they want is attention.  You certainly don't give them advertising they couldn't buy in a million years.

(10-12-2017, 04:19 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You don't ignore racist acts, you ignore racists when all they want is attention.  You certainly don't give them advertising they couldn't buy in a million years.

So what if the racist act is trying to draw attention?  Like putting a cross up in the town square or shouting hate speech while you try to protect a statue walk through the city?

I'd rather point and laugh.  Maybe shame them a bit.  Draw attention to the problem that is racism.
(10-12-2017, 04:34 PM)GMDino Wrote: So what if the racist act is trying to draw attention?  Like putting a cross up in the town square or shouting hate speech while you try to protect a statue walk through the city?

I'd rather point and laugh.  Maybe shame them a bit.  Draw attention to the problem that is racism.

I gave you the quote from the anti-defamation league guy concerning the cross here in Cincy..  You're  playing right into their hands.  Everybody can do what they they think is best.  I think paying them no attention is best.  

(10-12-2017, 04:37 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I gave you the quote from the anti-defamation league guy concerning the cross here in Cincy..  You're  playing right into their hands.  Everybody can do what they they think is best.  I think paying them no attention is best.  

I read the quote. I understand your point of view.  I strongly disagree.

It's my belief that the worse the person the more people should see it.  Sexist, racist, whateverist.  Make them own their belief in public instead of the shadows.

Some will praise them.  They need called out too.

Most will condemn them.

Probably nothing will change them but I want their names and faces known.
(10-12-2017, 02:56 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Is there anything the law can do?  

Depends on a lot of variables, but if the letter was threatening in any way, they can at least conduct an investigation, I would think.

(10-12-2017, 03:36 PM)GMDino Wrote: Oh hell no.  Let the community know that a racist is among them that is so offended that a "too dark" person is working that the daycare center.

Hopefully a good public shaming.

And I'll feel the same way if this turns out to nothing more than a hoax.  Public shame the person behind it.

If they knew the identity of the raicst, then sure. But, if they didn't and his goal was to stir up trouble, aren't you helping him achieve his goal? Why would you want to help a racist spread his racism?

(10-12-2017, 03:48 PM)Benton Wrote: I thought we tried the 'ignore racism away' approach?

Could've fooled me based on news stories from the past 20 years or so.

But, seriously, I think there's a time to ignore it and a time to take action. In the case of the OP, I think it's best to ignore it and not draw attention to one racist (unless they find out hwo it is).

(10-12-2017, 03:49 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Didn't the letter get sent to the employee, as well?

Sort of. According to the article, there were 2 letters in one envelope.

(10-12-2017, 04:19 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You don't ignore racist acts, you ignore racists when all they want is attention.  You certainly don't give them advertising they couldn't buy in a million years.

That's what I'm getting at. If this guy's goal is to upset people, congratulations, you've helped him achieve his goal. 
(10-12-2017, 05:46 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Depends on a lot of variables, but if the letter was threatening in any way, they can at least conduct an investigation, I would think.

If they knew the identity of the raicst, then sure. But, if they didn't and his goal was to stir up trouble, aren't you helping him achieve his goal? Why would you want to help a racist spread his racism?

Could've fooled me based on news stories from the past 20 years or so.

But, seriously, I think there's a time to ignore it and a time to take action. In the case of the OP, I think it's best to ignore it and not draw attention to one racist (unless they find out hwo it is).

Sort of. According to the article, there were 2 letters in one envelope.

That's what I'm getting at. If this guy's goal is to upset people, congratulations, you've helped him achieve his goal. 

It should not be upsetting that there are racists...it should be infuriating.  And large groups should speak out about it until said racist feels insecure enough to move along.

Announcing there is a racist in a town is no different that announcing there is one in the US or on this board or in any group or your own family.  Call them out.

Then run them out on a rail if they identify themselves.  

(10-12-2017, 05:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: It should not be upsetting that there are racists...it should be infuriating.  

Can't disagree with that.

(10-12-2017, 05:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: And large groups should speak out about it until said racist feels insecure enough to move along.
I don't think it needs to be large groups. I think EVERYONE should speak out saying that racism is unacceptable in today's society.
(10-12-2017, 05:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: Announcing there is a racist in a town is no different that announcing there is one in the US or on this board or in any group or your own family.  Call them out.
If you don't know hwo it is, announcing there's a racist, at best, only serves to have the racist go into hiding. Sure, that may mean no racist incidents for a short time, but you're not eradicating racism. And, more likely, you're going to cause problems, people will start to distrust each other wondering if so-and-so is the racist, etc. there will be anguish and distress, etc.
I'm fine with public shaming if you KNOW who the racists are (also assuming that they're actually racist and you're not just calling them that because you disagree with their views on a topic or two), but I don't see the value in announcing there's an unknown racist in our midst, so to speak.

Anyone that says we should ignore Racism it just wrong.

I may not want to give a bunch of inbreds the light they want we they peacefully gather in their little groups. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(10-12-2017, 05:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: It should not be upsetting that there are racists...it should be infuriating.  And large groups should speak out about it until said racist feels insecure enough to move along.

Announcing there is a racist in a town is no different that announcing there is one in the US or on this board or in any group or your own family.  Call them out.

Then run them out on a rail if they identify themselves.  

Then you’re going to be infuriated forever because there will always be racists. Can’t worry about what people think. You just make sure they have as little influence as possible.