Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Would You Pick to Man the Right Side of The Line?
(06-27-2018, 02:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Whether it is Pollack or not, since he got here we brought in Glenn and Price.

A proven NFL Left Tackle and arguably the best Center in the Draft.

I think he had a hand in this.

Also i might add that i think you will be seeing those results pretty soon once the O-line starts to gel.

Let’s hope so, it’s past time for some playoff games...
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 03:22 PM)sandwedge Wrote: He brought a pretty impressive resume with him. He's more of a "do it my way or hit the highway" kind of coach, which I think the players will respect more just because it hard-nose football which O-linemen love.

And if this owner or head coach doesn’t handcuff him, hopefully it will translate in a positive way.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 04:04 PM)3wt Wrote: I like a LOT of what I'm seeing/ hearing from and about Lazor.

I thought when he first took over (before I knew anything about him), OK we have the Beaver Cleaver coach who's going to get the Dave Shula award for competence and originality.

But the guy is panning out big time. If he succeeds over the next two years we're going to need to go back to the inheritance clause for head coach.   And if he's that successful maybe Marvin will be ready to call it a wrap.

Doesn’t Marvin have a secret lifetime contract? There were like 2 or 3 times that he should’ve been gone. Marvin really needs to make some changes with his attitude this year. He looked so defeated most of last year and was publicly throwing players under the bus. He had some playoff birth seasons but some of those Bengal teams were loaded with talent.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 05:13 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: And if this owner or head coach doesn’t handcuff him, hopefully it will translate in a positive way.

You are correct there.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 05:23 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Doesn’t Marvin have a secret lifetime contract? There were like 2 or 3 times that he should’ve been gone. Marvin really needs to make some changes with his attitude this year. He looked so defeated most of last year and was publicly throwing players under the bus. He had some playoff birth seasons but some of those Bengal teams were loaded with talent.

I have always been very frustrated by the fact that he says that players and coaches need to work their stuff out in private, but has frequently thrown coaches and players under the bus.  It wouldn't be so bad if he had not established the standard.

It's definitely a bad look.  

There is a lot I really like about Marvin, and I tend to believe he has been hamstrung by Mr. Brown.   But I think if there aren't substantive changes in the scope of this 2 year contract that he will be gone.

I think he's on his ninth life
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 03:08 PM)3wt Wrote: There are several of you who have played offensive line, college football and are more knowledgeable than most of us.  And there are those who just have a good eye and good horse sense.  And there are the rest of us who mostly just have an opinion.

So I ask all of you.  Who would you like to see starting in the right guard and right tackle positions given what we know to this point?

So letting the last go first, my vote would be that Westerman start at right guard, and Perkins play right tackle.  The latter because I have so little confidence in Og, Fish or Hart.   I mean the hope is that Pollack revives both Og and Fish, that Fish looks best at RT and Og looks like a solid LT backup.  For me RT is the position of most concern on our offensive team.

What say ye?

I agree on Westerman at RG. At RT it will either be Fisher or Hart. Ogbuehi flopped there, badly.

At backup LT it should be Boling. Even though he doesn't have the ideal physical traits, he did get the job done over two games and that's what counts.

Ogbuehi, if he doesn't improve, should be cut. He's just been a mess at either tackle spot. Maybe Pollack will fix him, which would be awesome since no one is really counting on him for anything at all.

Reply/Quote
I see a lot of assumptions (sorry or read some posts on page 1 as in Europe)so time is limited. Boiling looked very good at LT last year so we may end up Glenn opposite him at RT, If so , I could see Fisher at RG and Westerman at RG,
As many have said though, way too early to predict but have faith new OL coach will make them earn it,
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 09:22 AM)ochocincos Wrote: What about the crazy idea of Glenn and Boling at OT spots, Redmond and Westerman at OG spots, Price at C?
That's something I thought could work but out of left field if none of Fisher, Ogbuehi, or Hart actually does well.

Just saw this, I guess great minds think alike.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 03:55 PM)3wt Wrote: I don't think it would ever  happen.   But after the job Boling did last season at tackle I'd be up for it.  I thought he was a stud there in the last two games.   I think that would be a monster line.

Won't happen though.  He's been too good over time at LG, and I think they need some sort of continuity.

The only reason I keep thinking about it is how much more are we prepared for an injury at LT if Boling is already playing RT?  I ask that is all sincerity, as I truly don't know the answer.  Is playing tackle on the right side better than guard on the left side to be prepared for a potential switch?  I don't know.  And I have faith that Glenn's injury is behind him.  But I sure as hell like the idea of three, thick, nasty bad-ass mentality guys in the middle.  Boling is very good, but I see him more as the pulling guard with agility than the bulldozer at LG.  

He really showed something in his stint at LT, though, and it showed me that it might even be his more natural position.  
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 09:22 AM)ochocincos Wrote: What about the crazy idea of Glenn and Boling at OT spots, Redmond and Westerman at OG spots, Price at C?
That's something I thought could work but out of left field if none of Fisher, Ogbuehi, or Hart actually does well.

Honestly I think that Boling is a better T than Glenn, and Glenn is a better G than Boling, and ideally neither would start at T, but due to a lack of better options both of them starting at T may just be the best line we can put together.
Reply/Quote
A co-worker and I have were having this same conversation yesterday actually. Boling looked really good at LT last year and if we have a couple of OG like Westerman, Hopkins and Redmond, why not move Boling over to RT and have your tackles taken care of and let OG, Fish and Hart compete for the swing tackle and starting OG roles with the other 3 guys? To me it just makes more sense to separate the 3 guys that we know will be starters and not have them all on one side. This could potentially leave our right side as a serious weakness at times, especially if one of the 3 starters gets injured as it is.
Reply/Quote
It's good to have all these options.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2018, 07:17 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The only reason I keep thinking about it is how much more are we prepared for an injury at LT if Boling is already playing RT?  I ask that is all sincerity, as I truly don't know the answer.  Is playing tackle on the right side better than guard on the left side to be prepared for a potential switch?  I don't know.  And I have faith that Glenn's injury is behind him.  But I sure as hell like the idea of three, thick, nasty bad-ass mentality guys in the middle.  Boling is very good, but I see him more as the pulling guard with agility than the bulldozer at LG.  

He really showed something in his stint at LT, though, and it showed me that it might even be his more natural position.  

I agree.  I think the only guy that really rung his bell was Ziggy Ansah - who is himself a stud.

I seem to recall that either he played some tackle at Georgia, or some draft analysts saw him as a better tackle prospect than guard (though they acknowledged him as a good guard prospect).  

You are right about his strengths, which I actually see as a better match for the left side - tackle or guard.  Glen would be an overpowering right tackle.   Potentially the best since Willie.  I'd be very happy with that arrangement.  With Westerman and Redmond at guard that would be an offensive line with a lot of push, and the ability to give Dalton a better pocket in the middle than we've had (even though Boling the best pass protector of the bunch).

Intriguing.   I will be really interested to see what Pollack and Lazor end up deciding.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2018, 10:51 AM)3wt Wrote: I agree.  I think the only guy that really rung his bell was Ziggy Ansah - who is himself a stud.

I seem to recall that either he played some tackle at Georgia, or some draft analysts saw him as a better tackle prospect than guard (though they acknowledged him as a good guard prospect).  

You are right about his strengths, which I actually see as a better match for the left side - tackle or guard.  Glen would be an overpowering right tackle.   Potentially the best since Willie.  I'd be very happy with that arrangement.  With Westerman and Redmond at guard that would be an offensive line with a lot of push, and the ability to give Dalton a better pocket in the middle than we've had (even though Boling the best pass protector of the bunch).

Intriguing.   I will be really interested to see what Pollack and Lazor end up deciding.

At Georgia, Boiling played OT and Glenn Played LG and were a pretty good tandem.  But I don't think the Bengals will experiment too much at swapping positions.  They will probably keep Glenn at LT, Boiling at LG.  I think RG is Westerman's to lose.  RT was a question mark before the draft and remains a concern now.  Unless Rod Taylor shows something during camp (which would not surprise me) but Taylor was drafted as a guard.  I do not think RT of the future is on the team at the moment, but we won't know true status until training camp and some pre-season games.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(06-28-2018, 07:17 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The only reason I keep thinking about it is how much more are we prepared for an injury at LT if Boling is already playing RT?  I ask that is all sincerity, as I truly don't know the answer.  Is playing tackle on the right side better than guard on the left side to be prepared for a potential switch?  I don't know.  And I have faith that Glenn's injury is behind him.  But I sure as hell like the idea of three, thick, nasty bad-ass mentality guys in the middle.  Boling is very good, but I see him more as the pulling guard with agility than the bulldozer at LG.  

Personally, I'd like to see them try Boling at RT and Redmond at LG... Glenn-Redmond-Price-Westerman-Boling...Maybe look at this line up once or twice in TC, just to see what it looks like. That would be our strongest line I believe. 
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2018, 12:04 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Personally, I'd like to see them try Boling at RT and Redmond at LG... Glenn-Redmond-Price-Westerman-Boling...Maybe look at this line up once or twice in TC, just to see what it looks like. That would be our strongest line I believe. 

I mean there are so many options with these guys. I believe from watching Westerman he is more of a LG than a RG.

Redmond is more of the road grading RG type. Glenn is the more road grading RT type.

I would switch that all around Wedge lol

Boling - Westerman - Price - Redmond - Glenn
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2018, 01:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I mean there are so many options with these guys. I believe from watching Westerman he is more of a LG than a RG.

Redmond is more of the road grading RG type. Glenn is the more road grading RT type.

You could go that way, still getting probably the 5 strongest and nastiest guys out on the field. That's what we want
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 03:08 PM)3wt Wrote: There are several of you who have played offensive line, college football and are more knowledgeable than most of us.  And there are those who just have a good eye and good horse sense.  And there are the rest of us who mostly just have an opinion.

So I ask all of you.  Who would you like to see starting in the right guard and right tackle positions given what we know to this point?

So letting the last go first, my vote would be that Westerman start at right guard, and Perkins play right tackle.  The latter because I have so little confidence in Og, Fish or Hart.   I mean the hope is that Pollack revives both Og and Fish, that Fish looks best at RT and Og looks like a solid LT backup.  For me RT is the position of most concern on our offensive team.

What say ye?

alex Redmond,dude is 6ft 5in and weighs 330 and is mega strong and moves like a deer,he is my choice with Hopkins backup or westerman.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2018, 01:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I mean there are so many options with these guys. I believe from watching Westerman he is more of a LG than a RG.

That could be a really dynamite combination.   I know Boling is a great pulling lineman and I would not be surprised if Westerman is too.  Running to the right could be very successful in the combination.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2018, 09:59 AM)dr1441 Wrote: A co-worker and I have were having this same conversation yesterday actually. Boling looked really good at LT last year and if we have a couple of OG like Westerman, Hopkins and Redmond, why not move Boling over to RT and have your tackles taken care of and let OG, Fish and Hart compete for the swing tackle and starting OG roles with the other 3 guys? To me it just makes more sense to separate the 3 guys that we know will be starters and not have them all on one side. This could potentially leave our right side as a serious weakness at times, especially if one of the 3 starters gets injured as it is.

in college boiling was the LT and Glenn the LG I believe.
Reply/Quote