Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Who do you take? WR
(04-13-2016, 05:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: True. I remember reading about it and some of the comparisons with Randy Moss. It's funny, Moss was bashed for that back in the day, but it probably helped him burn more CBs during his career. 

I remeber that as well. He said his best 4th quarter plays came from him not going full speed when the ball didn't come his way early in the game. When Green or Tice pushed him to play hard early on, he didn't play as well in the later part of the game.

I don't see Coleman playing like that. I imagine Marvin/Zampese/Urban will have him going 100% all the time.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 04:19 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: The plays off/uninterested thing is actually a product of the Art Briles Baylor system. There are very few reads for QBs. The ball is pretty much always thrown to the #1 option no matter what. So Briles has the WRs, that aren't going to catch the ball, just ran half speed and sell nothing. His thought behind this is that it keeps the WRs fresher for later in the game. This is something that Randy Moss did in Minnesota as well.

It is also a horrible habit that will let defenders know when they need to be focused and when they can take plays off. It may have worked for Randy Moss, but my guess is he is the exception rather than the rule for taking plays off.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2016, 02:32 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: You might be right.. he might not slide that low in 2nd round.. I don;t see him going in 1st round though... but im going to agree that he will probably be gone by our 2nd pick but I don;t think he is a 1st round pick for us.

I am thinking mid 2nd for Shepard. He is just too good to be passed up twice before our 2nd round pick.

Hope i am wrong.

Tyler Boyd might be our pick in the 2nd and i would be happy with it. Boyd is very versatile, he can return punts
and has nice size, hands with speed. I think he might be a little underrated right now. Just like Fuller is overrated
in my opinion who is smaller, catches with his arms and is a bit raw.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2016, 04:01 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I remeber that as well. He said his best 4th quarter plays came from him not going full speed when the ball didn't come his way early in the game. When Green or Tice pushed him to play hard early on, he didn't play as well in the later part of the game.

I don't see Coleman playing like that. I imagine Marvin/Zampese/Urban will have him going 100% all the time.

For sure, nice post BD.
Reply/Quote
In light of the Rams deal, I'm thinking the odds that Treadwell falls to us have increased a bit (they were taking Treadwell in several mocks I've read).

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Am I the only one who genuinely hopes that a WR is not taken in the first?  I'd really like to see a player like Billings, Dodd, or a good CB taken in round one and feel like any of them would pay off more than any #2 receiver would.  If a WR must be taken in one, I'd hope that it would be Treadwell.  Why?  Because 40 times be damned he is a physical presence.  This team is prone to getting shut out by press coverage if Green or the run game can't get going.  So long as Pauly G's defense can keep getting better, the O doesn't really need a tiny gadget guy with an impressive 40 speed.  
Reply/Quote
Yeah I'm pretty much on board with this.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2016, 10:53 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Am I the only one who genuinely hopes that a WR is not taken in the first?  I'd really like to see a player like Billings, Dodd, or a good CB taken in round one and feel like any of them would pay off more than any #2 receiver would.  If a WR must be taken in one, I'd hope that it would be Treadwell.  Why?  Because 40 times be damned he is a physical presence.  This team is prone to getting shut out by press coverage if Green or the run game can't get going.  So long as Pauly G's defense can keep getting better, the O doesn't really need a tiny gadget guy with an impressive 40 speed.  

No, you are not the only one.

Billings or Dodd would make me ecstatic at 24. Wink
Reply/Quote
Let another team miss on Dodd, how Shaq isn't viewed as highly amongst teams is confusing as Hell.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2016, 02:15 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Let another team miss on Dodd, how Shaq isn't viewed as highly amongst teams is confusing as Hell.

I doubt Lawson falls to us but i sure would love to have that guy in stripes.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2016, 10:53 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Am I the only one who genuinely hopes that a WR is not taken in the first?  I'd really like to see a player like Billings, Dodd, or a good CB taken in round one and feel like any of them would pay off more than any #2 receiver would.  If a WR must be taken in one, I'd hope that it would be Treadwell.  Why?  Because 40 times be damned he is a physical presence.  This team is prone to getting shut out by press coverage if Green or the run game can't get going.  So long as Pauly G's defense can keep getting better, the O doesn't really need a tiny gadget guy with an impressive 40 speed.  

There's nothing wrong with not wanting a WR in the first round. It's just that the best WRs in the draft are projected around our pick and WR happens to be our biggest need. However, this is an incredibly deep defensive draft so it's very possible a defensive playmaker falls to us. I'm not 100% invested in WR because there's also a few DTs that I'd do backflips over if we select them.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2016, 06:24 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Give me a double dip of buckeye. Michael Thomas in 1 Braxton Miller in 2. Both are accustomed to playing outside in the winter in ohio.

Best friends who were former roommates.

Michael Thomas just seems to have the workman like demeanor of AJ Green. He would be a big reliable target right away. Braxton needs some development but gives us the Swiss army knife ability of Sanu.

Thomas has yet to live up to his billing.
Miller is changing positions because of a bum shoulder that is preventing him from being a qb prospect?
Pass on both in the first.
Doctson then Treadwell should be the only options in the first.
Round 2. Shepherd, Coleman and Boyd.
Stay away from Fuller, Thomas
For those of you that like Fuller and Thomas, you should consider Keyarris Garrett in the 3rd. He's a good combination of both of those guys and quietly lived up to his billing.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2016, 09:53 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Thomas has yet to live up to his billing.
Miller is  changing positions because of a bum shoulder that is preventing him from being a qb prospect?
Pass on both in the first.
Doctson then Treadwell should be the only options in the first.
Round 2. Shepherd, Coleman and Boyd.
Stay away from Fuller, Thomas
For those of you that like Fuller and Thomas, you should consider Keyarris Garrett in the 3rd. He's a good combination of both of those guys and quietly lived up to his billing.

Here is Thomas bio at Ohio State , I don;t think I would go out and say he has not lived up to his billing.. does not mean I would draft him in 2nd round but you seem to act like he is a big underachiever 

Ohio State's No. 1 receiver the past two seasons with 54 catches for 799 yards and nine scores in 2014 and 56 for 781 and nine in 2015. Thomas played in 39 games and started 27 times. He caught a pass in the final 29 games he played and ranks 13th at Ohio State with 113 career receptions, 18th with 1,602 receiving yards and T8th with 18 touchdown receptions. Was outstanding in the post-season with 21 receptions - 13 of which went for a first down - for 232 yards and two touchdowns in four post games; all of them Ohio State wins
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2016, 12:35 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Here is Thomas bio at Ohio State , I don;t think I would go out and say he has not lived up to his billing.. does not mean I would draft him in 2nd round but you seem to act like he is a big underachiever 

Ohio State's No. 1 receiver the past two seasons with 54 catches for 799 yards and nine scores in 2014 and 56 for 781 and nine in 2015. Thomas played in 39 games and started 27 times. He caught a pass in the final 29 games he played and ranks 13th at Ohio State with 113 career receptions, 18th with 1,602 receiving yards and T8th with 18 touchdown receptions. Was outstanding in the post-season with 21 receptions - 13 of which went for a first down - for 232 yards and two touchdowns in four post games; all of them Ohio State wins

Yes I can call him over rated. The OP was talking about taking him in the 1st round, not the 2nd like you are. Thomas doesn't have the improvement in his year to year stats that show he is worth taking in the first. I would not have as much of an issue with taking him in the 2nd, even thiugh i still think he's over rated.

Heck Armani Cooper put up more stats in his final year than Thomas has in his entire OSU career and there was no question that Cooper was a first round talent.

Thomas might surprise me, but I see him as nothing more than a solid number 2 wr, and if I'm drafting a wr in the 1st, he better have a high potential to be a wr 1.

Are we clearer now?
Reply/Quote
Did anyone watch coleman at the combine? He comes off the line like a lightening bolt. He is like steve smith with rare speed. Hope he makes it to us.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2016, 11:02 AM)jjvolt Wrote: Did anyone watch coleman at the combine?  He comes off the line like a lightening bolt. He is like steve smith with rare speed. Hope he makes it to us.

Yeah, i don't know why any Bengal fan would not want him on this team.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2016, 10:49 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Yes I can call him over rated. The OP was talking about taking him in the 1st round, not the 2nd like you are. Thomas doesn't have the improvement in his year to year stats that show he is worth taking in the first. I would not have as much of an issue with taking him in the 2nd, even thiugh i still think he's over rated.

Heck Armani Cooper put up more stats in his final year than Thomas has in his entire OSU career and there was no question that Cooper was a first round talent.

Thomas might surprise me, but I see him as nothing more than a solid number 2 wr, and if I'm drafting a wr in the 1st, he better have a high potential to be a wr 1.

Are we clearer now?

You put in your thread that Thomas has not lived up  to his billing.. The guy is almost for sure a 2nd round pick and in some projections is bordline 1st round..  projected top 5 to 7 WR taken...
so not sure how much more he needs to live up to his billing ??   I am not talking about what someone else said about him... im talking about what you said about him....  Are we clearer now ?
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2016, 08:51 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: You put in your thread that Thomas has not lived up  to his billing.. The guy is almost for sure a 2nd round pick and in some projections is bordline 1st round..  projected top 5 to 7 WR taken...
so not sure how much more he needs to live up to his billing ??   I am not talking about what someone else said about him... im talking about what you said about him....  Are we clearer now ?

That's right. He did not live up to his status as a number 1 wr at OSU. His stats are nowhere near first round worthy. The thing that propels him into the 1st is the question marks surrounding him. I would not gamble a 1st round pick on him, a late second, maybe. Aren't Miller's stats last year about the same as Thomas'? Kinda odd considering Miller was learning the position.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 12:32 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: That's right. He did not live up to his status as a number 1 wr at OSU. His stats are nowhere near first round worthy. The thing that propels him into the 1st is the question marks surrounding him. I would not gamble a 1st round pick on him, a late second, maybe. Aren't Miller's stats last year about the same as Thomas'? Kinda odd considering Miller was learning the position.

Have you ever considered that OSU is a run first offense that just happened to have the #1 rated pro RB in the country? Have you considered the poor QB play or the fact that the QB's run A LOT in that offense?

Thomas is related to K.Johnson and has a great skill set that will translate very well to the pro level.

You just be hating! Thomas in the 1st is a good pick. Thomas in the 2nd is a very good pick!
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 12:32 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: That's right. He did not live up to his status as a number 1 wr at OSU. His stats are nowhere near first round worthy. The thing that propels him into the 1st is the question marks surrounding him. I would not gamble a 1st round pick on him, a late second, maybe. Aren't Miller's stats last year about the same as Thomas'? Kinda odd considering Miller was learning the position.

Sorry your argument does not hold much water with experts... He is projected 1st/2nd rounder.. we can not predict the future but that projection is based on his skills, workouts and yes college performance which if I remember correctly that he is 8th all time in TDs , 11th in receptions and 18th in yards all time.. and still had one more year left to play.. my guess at his current performance he probably would have been top 5 to 10 in all of those categories  and you say he underachieved... 

sorry your bias seems to be showing through.   
Reply/Quote