Other
4.44%
4 4.44%
Total 90 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is our PK
(09-02-2017, 12:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd call the Panthers about Graham Gano. He's on the trade block.

He's hit 83.0% of his kicks over the last 5 years, and 93.5% of his XP attempts since they were moved back.

I'd dig that, but we already put way more effort into getting a kicker this year than we usually do.  I think we're more than done with the whole affair.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 12:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd dig that, but we already put way more effort into getting a kicker this year than we usually do.  I think we're more than done with the whole affair.

You're probably right. I just wish we'd keep an eye out. The kicker market is always circulating and we could do better.

Gano is also good on kickoffs from what I read. The Panthers just drafted a cheaper guy who is also doing well (Gano is making a shade over 3m).
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Bold bfine prediction:

The first time Bullock misses a kick, regardless of distance, the board will flood with "Bengals are stupid" threads.

Personally I thought they would stick with Elliot; however, Bullock won the job. How can anyone dispute that at this point?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 01:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Bold bfine prediction:

The first time Bullock misses a kick, regardless of distance, the board will flood with "Bengals are stupid" threads.

Personally I thought they would stick with Elliot; however, Bullock won the job. How can anyone dispute that at this point?

Standby for a response from Bonnie 
Reply/Quote
So...Does this mean those of us that thought this was a stupid pick at the time, or should have just waited and took Zane are correct? As much as I wanted a OL man, these 2 picks in the 5th were my least favorite.
Reply/Quote
LOLLIOTT
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
OK. If that was Simmons choice I won't complain. But Bullock has missed two game winners now so that's concerning.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 01:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You're probably right. I just wish we'd keep an eye out. The kicker market is always circulating and we could do better.

Gano is also good on kickoffs from what I read. The Panthers just drafted a cheaper guy who is also doing well (Gano is making a shade over 3m).

There are definitely guys out there who would improve this team. Gano, Alex Boone. I saw Novak got released.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 12:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yep. I based my opinion all on 1 kick. He isn't hitting at a 57% clip in preseason. He hasn't had bad reports coming out of practice. 

He is getting beaten out by a journeyman.

Thanks for being respectful, Bonnie. It's easier to discuss things when people don't react like a hyper-sensitive 3 year old when you say something they don't like.

It could be growing pains, but the Bucs probably thought Aguayo was having growing pains. It's just whether or not you want to take that risk. I'd rather not. We have a good ST coach. I'm confident in Simmons to get young guys ready if they have the ability. Elliott has had all summer and doesn't seem to have that ability. So I don't think it's likely he ever will, and he certainly isn't likely to suddenly flip a switch in a couple weeks.

For me, it's risk/reward. If we roll with Elliott, we could end up sinking an entire season for the sake of a kicker. Let me repeat. A kicker. No thanks. If we win the gamble, we have a decent kicker. If we lose the gamble, Elliott winds up costing us games and possibly a playoff spot. Or we could roll with the guy who is decent now, and keep an eye out for upgrades. Kickers are constantly circulating. 
Thanks.  Bottom line I didn't want Bullock because we've had too  many kickers miss game winners.  So if we look out there for someone else at this point I wouldn't be upset.  If we roll with Bullock and he misses a game winner we're all gonna be upset.  If he makes a game winner, I'll happily eat crow.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 06:03 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Thanks.  Bottom line I didn't want Bullock because we've had too  many kickers miss game winners.  So if we look out there for someone else at this point I wouldn't be upset.  If we roll with Bullock and he misses a game winner we're all gonna be upset.  If he makes a game winner, I'll happily eat crow.

Bullock has missed a few game winners in his career, but I look at it like this. In a league where most games are won by a small margin, all kicks are big. Bullock is probably going to hit more kicks than Elliott would have. Like Marvin said, they would've kept Elliott if the competition were even close. It wasn't close.

So if Bullock is (by most estimates) average at best, what does that make Elliott? By the sound of things, I'm starting to wonder if the Bengals will even offer Elliott a PS spot. Judging by Marv's comment, it seems they're pretty disappointed with their 5th rounder.

All this said, I'm not content with Bullock and think they should bring someone else in...although it seems the Bengal thing to do is roll with the average guy they know rather than try to upgrade at the last minute.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 06:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Bullock has missed a few game winners in his career, but I look at it like this. In a league where most games are won by a small margin, all kicks are big. Bullock is probably going to hit more kicks than Elliott would have. Like Marvin said, they would've kept Elliott if the competition were even close. It wasn't close.

So if Bullock is (by most estimates) average at best, what does that make Elliott? By the sound of things, I'm starting to wonder if the Bengals will even offer Elliott a PS spot. Judging by Marv's comment, it seems they're pretty disappointed with their 5th rounder.

All this said, I'm not content with Bullock and think they should bring someone else in...although it seems the Bengal thing to do is roll with the average guy they know rather than try to upgrade at the last minute.

What bugs me is it seems to be based solely on this preseason. 
Which will almost always favor the veteran kicker. 
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 06:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Bullock has missed a few game winners in his career, but I look at it like this. In a league where most games are won by a small margin, all kicks are big. Bullock is probably going to hit more kicks than Elliott would have. Like Marvin said, they would've kept Elliott if the competition were even close. It wasn't close.

I think you're right.  They'll stick with Bullock although there might be better options out there.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 06:57 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: What bugs me is it seems to be based solely on this preseason. 
Which will almost always favor the veteran kicker. 

Elliott may go somewhere else and do well.  We'll see.
Reply/Quote
I wasn't and still ain't/wouldn't be beaming with confidence over either one of them. But that's just me.

I wouldn't be at all upset if they went out and got someone else to try no matter who the pick was.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 07:10 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Elliott may go somewhere else and do well.  We'll see.

Who knows. 
But it seems odd to draft a leg like his and not give it time to develop. 

We know what Bullock is, so I'm not expecting much improvement in the kicking game. 
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 07:11 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Who knows. 
But it seems odd to draft a leg like his and not give it time to develop. 

We know what Bullock is, so I'm not expecting much improvement in the kicking game. 

I'd say they're hoping to sign him to the practice squad and work on his accuracy. He hits the ball really well and in my very limited opinion is worth a try.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 07:16 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'd say they're hoping to sign him to the practice squad and work on his accuracy. He hits the ball really well and in my very limited opinion is worth a try.

A kicker who looks like he can hit from 65 doesn't grow on trees. 
He's worth some investment 
Reply/Quote
If we want a college stud young high draft pick to be our PK we can still get Aguyo. If we want the guy that won fair battle in all of training camp, we'll stick with Bullock.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
So what is the count? I think one 7th rounder and two UDFA rookie kickers won jobs. While our 5th round pick couldnt beat out zero clutch factor bullock.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 01:22 PM)TKUHL Wrote: So...Does this mean those of us that thought this was a stupid pick at the time, or should have just waited and took Zane are correct? As much as I wanted a OL man, these 2 picks in the 5th were my least favorite.

I think it shows many on the board were wrong... 

1.  We never have competition at kicker:  well we did
2.  We will never cut the drafted kicker:  well we did
3.  We will never cut cut first year players: well we did

the point is.. whoever you might have wanted them to draft.. could have been cut also.. maybe we need to look at it as they did not get cut as much as someone was better in camp and beat them out which can be a good thing also
Reply/Quote