Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Who is "your guy"?
Clint Boling.

Knew a little about him while he was at UGA. Then saw him merking fools in the Senior Bowl(or some post season bowl). Saw him get out on a screen and crush a DB and pull and get up to the 2nd level and squash a LBer. I thought this dude has great feet so I bet he doesn't have much power. Then they got down on the goal line and he drove his man to the back of the end zone.
I said "we gots to get this guy." Then come draft day we did. Since then he's been badass and under ranked. I think when healthy he is better than the Guard that just walked.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2017, 07:01 PM)Dr. Bombay Wrote: Gio

http://www.nfl.com/bernard

Even today, with millions in the bank, Giovani won't spend ostentatiously. His girlfriend's parents live 10 minutes from the Cincinnati Bengals' facility, and the running back spent his rookie training camp last summer living in their basement. He freely says he would've stayed there longer if he wasn't worried about inconveniencing anyone.

His wardrobe comes entirely from his Nike allotment, except for what results from the occasional trip to H&M. ("H&M usually has some really good deals," he says. "Probably like $15, $20 for a nice button-down shirt.") And he shrugs at the people who wonder about his frugality.

"I know who I am. I know what things I cherish in life. I know what things are necessary in life and what I need in life," the 22-year-old says. "A big ol', you know, Rolls-Royce? I don't need that. It's just not -- it's not the type of person that I am."

Maybe he knows something no-body else knows... Mellow 

Good for him? I mean, yeah....good for him. Maybe Mike Brown can sell him the La Saber?

My guy(s) has to be the combination of Andy-Green, this team was build around them, they are seasoned vets now, I'm just hoping that the switch is flipped and they both become insane in the scoring dept.  :andy:

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2017, 11:41 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Clint Boling.  

Knew a little about him while he was at UGA.  Then saw him merking fools in the Senior Bowl(or some post season bowl).  Saw him get out on a screen and crush a DB and pull and get up to the 2nd level and squash a LBer.  I thought this dude has great feet so I bet he doesn't have much power.  Then they got down on the goal line and he drove his man to the back of the end zone.
I said "we gots to get this guy."  Then come draft day we did.  Since then he's been badass and under ranked.  I think when healthy he is better than the Guard that just walked.

Well, little did you know you were an idiot for thinking Boling was any good coming out of college, and the ONLY reason he is worth a shit now is due to the wonderful coaching of "The Wizard of the West End" himself.....Piano Man Paulie.  According to some on here, at any rate.... Ninja

LMAO LMAO LMAO

As for the OP, I'm going with Hardy Nickerson, Jr.  His old man was a baller, looking forward to see what he has.....was on board with the kid at TE from EKU last year.....would like to Boom Williams flourish as well, but i think there's too much depth there, unless he unseats Peerman.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I kinda liked what Tra Carson showed last year in the Pre-season. Would be nice to see him stick around another year, maybe replace Hill when his contract is up.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote

Knew a little about him while he was at UGA.  Then saw him merking fools in the Senior Bowl(or some post season bowl).  Saw him get out on a screen and crush a DB and pull and get up to the 2nd level and squash a LBer.  I thought this dude has great feet so I bet he doesn't have much power.  Then they got down on the goal line and he drove his man to the back of the end zone.
I said "we gots to get this guy."  Then come draft day we did.  Since then he's been badass and under ranked.  I think when healthy he is better than the Guard that just walked.

Good stuff Bonesaw, always liked Boling myself and i agree he is very underrated and is a much better run blocker than Zeitler was here.

Him being 100% this year should really help this O-line, he played with a bum shoulder most of last season and still played well.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2017, 09:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not sure if he's "my guy" but the dude that keeps on keeping on and get little respect is Vinny Rey. He give us value on D and on ST plus he's also winning those "best community" awards.

As to someone not established that I think will fly is KeiVarae Russell. According to this he only had 1 snap on D last year:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/2016-snap-counts.htm

Doesn't seen right, but if it is, then it's amazing that he had an INT on his only snap.

Vinny is also one of those players with mad heart that plays his best at big moments. Heart of a champion type even if he
does not have the physical talent of some Linebackers. Definately a great guy to root for, glad we gave him an extension
last year.

That would be crazy if that is true about Kei Russell.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2017, 05:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Vinny is also one of those players with mad heart that plays his best at big moments. Heart of a champion type even if he
does not have the physical talent of some Linebackers. Definately a great guy to root for, glad we gave him an extension
last year.

That would be crazy if that is true about Kei Russell.

It is true about Russell...picked off D-bag back up QB from Baltiwhore....I forget his name, but the pats drafted him and a lot of folks here wanted him....total turd bucket.  

I love Vinny Rey, and he one of those "nuts and bolts" pieces to the puzzle.  He had a HUGE game against Baltimore where he had something like three sacks and an INT a while back.  He's a super value.  
Reply/Quote
I don't really have 'a guy' that I'm big on who might or might not make it. I always take the wider view that I want every single player to have the greatest season in the league and conversely I don't really get down on any particular player. It's a dog eat dog business where any one of them can see their dreams go up in smoke with a freak injury or even the whim of a coach. There's just too many players who come and go on a regular basis to start playing favorites. 
We'll never really know just how many players could've made it big if not for being held back by a coach or another player higher in the pecking order. I like to think I'm willing to give them all a fair shot.   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

Bengals either did a good job scouting or a good job coaching with Boling.  A OG with a fourth round grade is almost always garbage.

Since 2010 there have been 58 OGs taken in the fourth round or later.  Only 4 of them have been starters for more than one season in the NFL.  Boling has been a starter for 5 seasons and none of the others have more than 3.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2017, 05:19 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: It is true about Russell...picked off D-bag back up QB from Baltiwhore....I forget his name, but the pats drafted him and a lot of folks here wanted him....total turd bucket.  

I love Vinny Rey, and he one of those "nuts and bolts" pieces to the puzzle.  He had a HUGE game against Baltimore where he had something like three sacks and an INT a while back.  He's a super value.  

That is pretty nutz, must like being a Bengal, one play, one pick.

You are thinking of Ryan Mallett, i will admit it, i was one that wanted the guy, was totally wrong as i was about Kaepernick.

So happy we got Dalton.

Very true about Vinny, he made one spectacular interception in one game to seal it for us another time as well. Went way up in
the air, got hit and still hung onto it to beat a good team, forget what team though.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2017, 07:22 PM)Dr. Bombay Wrote: Bengals either did a good job scouting or a good job coaching with Boling.  A OG with a fourth round grade is almost always garbage.

Since 2010 there have been 58 OGs taken in the fourth round or later.  Only 4 of them have been starters for more than one season in the NFL.  Boling has been a starter for 5 seasons and none of the others have more than 3.

Boling had a lot higher grade than a 4th rounder, he was very polished, he just needed to gain strength cause he was out of
his element as a rookie and got manhandled quite a bit. The O-lineman that PA has done well with have to be polished or they
end up sucking like Livings, Gutcheck or Bodine.

It is not a coincidence that Whitworth, Boling and Zeitler played well, they were pretty polished coming out of college.

I have high hopes for Westerman as well who was a very good pass blocker in college similar to Zeitler and had a much higher
grade then where we took him just like Boling. Westerman is just like Boling, just needs to add strength and get better in the
run game. Boling was ahead of Westerman though in this cause he was actually a good run blocker in college as well.

Might take Westerman a little longer to get decent, especially with an O-line coach that is bad at coaching up run blocking.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2017, 07:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Boling had a lot higher grade than a 4th rounder, 

No he didn't.  He was drafted in the fourth round so that is where he was ranked by NFL teams. It is like claiming that Andy Dalton is rated as a Super Bowl champion QB even though he has never won a Super Bowl.

You have to give the Bengals credit for either a good job scouting or a good job coaching with Boling.
Reply/Quote
Normally, I'd never say that I like the Browns, but two of my guys are Ryan Brown (undrafted DE from Mississippi State)and Jon Brown the soccer player turned K from Louisville. Dude has a huge leg. I'm really pulling for him to win the competition. Yes, I know it's a long shot, but I like long shots.

Also, I was stoked when we signed Vinnie Rey as a UDFA out of Duke of all places. He was another long shot, but has done nothing but "GRIND" his way to being a valuable piece of our D. I hope he's around long enough to win a ring and retire in stripes. He's still my guy.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Probably V. Rey would be "my dude" because of his attitude toward workmanship and his work off the field.

Others:
I've always likes Sims and thought that he was underrated.
I still want to see Dennard put it all together and stay on the field.  
Willis seems like a class act sort of guy and this team could use another good pass rusher.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2017, 05:19 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: It is true about Russell...picked off D-bag back up QB from Baltiwhore....I forget his name, but the pats drafted him and a lot of folks here wanted him....total turd bucket.  

What Vinny lacks in physical tools, he makes up for in intelligence.  He is a smart player.

Reply/Quote
(06-23-2017, 01:12 AM)Dr. Bombay Wrote: No he didn't.  He was drafted in the fourth round so that is where he was ranked by NFL teams. It is like claiming that Andy Dalton is rated as a Super Bowl champion QB even though he has never won a Super Bowl.

You have to give the Bengals credit for either a good job scouting or a good job coaching with Boling.

Yes he did......fred's alt.  I've linked you the scouting reports numerous times that had him graded as high as the second round prior to the draft.

I guess all NFL teams were right on Geno Atkins, and this Mixon dude must not be as good as hyped on here, huh. Rolleyes

Reply/Quote
(06-23-2017, 08:59 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yes he did......fred's alt.  I've linked you the scouting reports numerous times that had him graded as high as the second round prior to the draft.

I guess all NFL teams were right on Geno Atkins, and this Mixon dude must not be as good as hyped on here, huh. Rolleyes

Exactly.  Ranked talent doesn't always translate to round selected based on team needs, schemes, etc.  
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2017, 09:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Exactly.  Ranked talent doesn't always translate to round selected based on team needs, schemes, etc.  

Precisely.....Boling's main trouble in the draft was he was regarded as a tweener, if I remember correctly.  It seems teams weren't sure where he would fit.

Reply/Quote
(06-23-2017, 08:59 AM)Wyche Wrote: I guess all NFL teams were right on Geno Atkins, and this Mixon dude must not be as good as hyped on here, huh. Rolleyes

Not sure what point you are trying to make.  I think the Bengals also deserve props for either scouting Atkins better than other teams or coaching him up better.

I don't want to start a fight.  All I was doing was comparing a Bengal fourth round pick toother fourth round picks.  I am not going to take the time to find out the highest pre-draft grade given to every other OG taken in the fourth round or later since 2010, but I am not going to apologize for saying something good about the Bengals coaches.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2017, 09:42 AM)Dr. Bombay Wrote: Not sure what point you are trying to make.  I think the Bengals also deserve props for either scouting Atkins better than other teams or coaching him up better.

I don't want to start a fight.  All I was doing was comparing a Bengal fourth round pick toother fourth round picks.  I am not going to take the time to find out the highest pre-draft grade given to every other OG taken in the fourth round or later since 2010, but I am not going to apologize for saying something good about the Bengals coaches.

Atkins was drafted that low due to size concerns, not talent or drive.  I will say Hayes was one of our better position coaches.  The point is, Boling was better than his draft position coming out of college indicates....so was Atkins....so is Dalvin Cook....so is Joe Mixon.  Injury concerns, character concerns, physical concerns, and scheme fit concerns often drop players on draft day versus where the talent level actually is.  Exhibit A.....I give you Vontaze Burfict.  

Clint Boling was already a good and polished player when he got here, he wasn't magically coached to this level.  The game has passed Alexander by, and he really shouldn't have been here to begin with, coming off of a staff that produced the second worst decade in all of professional sports history.  Where's the accountability?

Reply/Quote