Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Who's Going to Cover Antonio Brown?
It's going to be easier to cover Brown with Bryant suspended for the year, but who do we put on him?

I think Jones has been our best lock-down man corner, but he's getting up there in age and I'd like him strictly on return duties because I think he's a difference-maker there.

I keep saying that Marvin doesn't like playing rookies, but WJIII's specialty is playing press-man and he has the speed to make-up for it if he gets beat because he runs a 4.3 40 yard dash.

I also think that Bryant being suspended leans even more towards WJIII covering Brown because we'll be able to have a safety over the top without having to worry about any serious danger of going deep from the opposite side of the field.

Who do you think covers Brown and how do we play him?
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2016, 08:07 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It's going to be easier to cover Brown with Bryant suspended for the year, but who do we put on him?

I think Jones has been our best lock-down man corner, but he's getting up there in age and I'd like him strictly on return duties because I think he's a difference-maker there.

I keep saying that Marvin doesn't like playing rookies, but WJIII's specialty is playing press-man and he has the speed to make-up for it if he gets beat because he runs a 4.3 40 yard dash.

I also think that Bryant being suspended leans even more towards WJIII covering Brown because we'll be able to have a safety over the top without having to worry about any serious danger of going deep from the opposite side of the field.

Who do you think covers Brown and how do we play him?

I doubt WJIII will cover Brown in game 2. That's just way too early for a rookie CB to start when we have vet CBs on the team. He might be at the end of the year, but we will have to see what happens throughout the year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2016, 08:09 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I doubt WJIII will cover Brown in game 2. That's just way too early for a rookie CB to start when we have vet CBs on the team. He might be at the end of the year, but we will have to see what happens throughout the year.

Agreed, even if Jackson evolves into the GOAT, you still don't put him on the best receiver in pro football in his second game..

I say Jones is still the best matchup with Brown.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Dre Kirkpatrick for the first drive, then Adam Jones after he gets burned. Smirk

But nawh I agree with everyone else, too early to throw WJ3 in the fire. Especially against the only rival who could threaten us for the AFCN crown. Need those wins against Pitt.

Adam will get the nod from the coaches to cover Antonio I'm sure.
Reply/Quote
I like the way Vontaze Burfict covers him.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2016, 10:25 PM)jason Wrote: I like the way Vontaze Burfict covers him.

Nice
Reply/Quote
Pacman has traditionally done the best job on him. Dre seems to do the worst.

I don't see Pacman being used exclusively in the return game.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
BURFICT, THATS WHO!!!

Reply/Quote
Hopefully not dre kirkpatrick
Reply/Quote
I'm guessing the lead of the Steeler training staff.
Reply/Quote
Ok. Let's Think outside the box. What if we let him cover Antonio Brown in game two. So what if he gets burnt, we don't leave them out there for the whole game but we let him learn by defending one of the best receivers in the league. We need this kid to learn quickly and covering one of the best will quickly show him what it takes to be one of the best in his position. If Marvin waits and does not use him in game 2, and we have injuries during the year which forced him to cover Antonio during the critical moments in the season and possibly a playoff game, do we really want him doing that with no solid experience?

Reply/Quote
(06-23-2016, 08:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agreed, even if Jackson evolves into the GOAT, you still don't put him on the best receiver in pro football in his second game..

I say Jones is still the best matchup with Brown.

Yep.  Gotta go with him until he proves he can't.  I see him being the same guy he was last year.  Wily vet but still has the skills to go with it.  I think he still jas a couple good years left.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
It will be Adam Jones and there's no doubt about it.

The Bengals coaches prefer a veteran player in key situations and Antonio Brown is a key situation anytime he's on the field. And frankly, I agree with them.

Reply/Quote
They're going to do what they've been doing. And there's no reason to change that.

Last year in his 2 regular season games against the Bengals, he had only 13 catches for 134 yards. He was targeted 21 times.

Actually, in Brown's 11 regular season games against the Bengals, he's had over 100 yards only twice. Both in 2014. If you include the playoffs, then that's 3 times in 12 games.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Did you really say you want Pacman used just for return duties? We didn't give him all that money to be a returner.
Reply/Quote
Jones with Iloka over the top.... Pretty standard
Reply/Quote
Considering that Marvin referred to Dennard as the "best rookie corner" he had ever seen and Dennard could not get on the field, I don't think you're going to see Jackson covering the best receiver in all of football week two. Jones does, by far, the best job of covering him and that is what I expect to continue.
Reply/Quote
Hey all - remember that Paulie G. plays halves of field, so odds are both guys will get their shot at Brown because of that. Jones won't "travel." But in reality, even with Bryant out, they'd probably prefer to match him up inside with Dennard and/or a linebacker out of the slot -- regardless of who they throw out there on the outside.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 11:40 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Jones with Iloka over the top.... Pretty standard

That's a Bingo.

Reply/Quote
Antonio Brown, to me, is an average route runner. What he does great is rub off of picks and improvising when Roethlisberger extends plays. He's going to get his just because he's got great chemistry with their QB..What the Bengals must do is not let someone like Ladarius Green, Wheaton or (God forbid) Heyward Bey make consistent plays.
Reply/Quote